Entropia on Linux

Is there an advantage running eu on Linux?

Long story short, I'm currently playing on wine-staging 4.0-rc7, on a ship anchor Dell Inspiron with a GTX 960 jammed into it. The proprietary drivers from nVidia broke X so I reverted to the nouveau driver that comes with my distribution (debian stretch).

Well I am on -rc2 now, and all stuff looks working.
Except location links appear twice when copied to chat (idk if it wine problem, or game itself). Or msvc runtime libs need to be updated or switched to wine's builtins (sometimes it helps in past)

I will write followup here after final wine 4.0 (if it works or not).
(but I have AMD video/opensource driver so my experience can vary)

Except location links appear twice when copied to chat (idk if it wine problem, or game itself).

Game problem. (when copying locations on other servers as far as I can tell)

Well.

Wine 4.0 (+staging patchset) is work well for me.

Can tell, that 16.0 works ok (generally).
Minor problem, that key bound to CapsLock not works.

All other stuff looks working as devs intended

Yes. Not having to deal with windows' miscellaneous, but personally agggravating, bs.

Also, it adds an element of emulation which can be used to shift the most of the load from the gpu to the cpu assuming adequate cpu and ram - or, in my case (recent gpu in an otherwise shit computer) I can shift load away from cpu and RAM over to gpu and hard drive. All of which is possible with windows but much more user friendly with linux.

So after like two weeks or so I started EU again and now it complains that I have an unsupported video card:

eu-unsupp-vc-1.jpg

eu-unsupp-vc-2.jpg

Guess what, Unix still knows that I have that video card, no change in two years:

Code:
[endermigne@runlikehell ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nvidia v: 418.43 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting FAILED: nvidia 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A 
[endermigne@runlikehell ~]$

The only thing that changed was that WINE updated to wine-4.5 (Staging).

Does anyone else have or had such a problem? Do the "FAILED" and "N/A" above have any meaning in this context?

Interesting. So it doesn't work for three days and then it works again??? :confused::scratch2::banghead:

Decided to try Entropia on Manjaro + Wine and it's...interesting. Everything loaded okay, and actually it mostly looks fine, but my avatar is messed up.

This was using the non-free drivers on Manjaro. Just wondering if someone has a setup that works well currently.

So after like two weeks or so I started EU again and now it complains that I have an unsupported video card:

eu-unsupp-vc-1.jpg

eu-unsupp-vc-2.jpg

Guess what, Unix still knows that I have that video card, no change in two years:

Code:
[endermigne@runlikehell ~]$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nvidia v: 418.43 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting FAILED: nvidia 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: N/A v: N/A 
[endermigne@runlikehell ~]$

The only thing that changed was that WINE updated to wine-4.5 (Staging).

Does anyone else have or had such a problem? Do the "FAILED" and "N/A" above have any meaning in this context?

Yes, it stopped working upon one of the more recent patches, which exactly I failed to keep track of. But had no WINE update here, still using the default that came with the install script given by PlayOnLinux (2.3-staging). And I only get the "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices" message, not the other one. Not sure yet what to try to fix it, occupied with other stuff.

Well, I don't have PlayOnLinux and it's working again since April 9th (see above). I also can't tell why as the only updates on that day on my system were

Code:
upgraded libwbclient (4.10.0-3 -> 4.10.2-0)
upgraded smbclient (4.10.0-3 -> 4.10.2-0)
upgraded samba (4.10.0-3 -> 4.10.2-0)

As far as WINE is concerned I have these packages installed:

Code:
wine-mono 4.8.2-1
wine-staging 4.6-1
wine_gecko 2.47-2
winetricks 20190310-1

No idea what PlayOnLinux uses...

Well, I don't have PlayOnLinux and it's working again since April 9th (see above). I also can't tell why as the only updates on that day on my system were

Code:
upgraded libwbclient (4.10.0-3 -> 4.10.2-0)
upgraded smbclient (4.10.0-3 -> 4.10.2-0)
upgraded samba (4.10.0-3 -> 4.10.2-0)

As far as WINE is concerned I have these packages installed:

Code:
wine-mono 4.8.2-1
wine-staging 4.6-1
wine_gecko 2.47-2
winetricks 20190310-1

No idea what PlayOnLinux uses...

I should give this a new try without it then. Thanks!

No, absolutely not.

8-10 years ago, to an extent for performance with weaker machines due to stripped down OS using very little resources.

Today? Not a single benefit and a whole laundry list of reasons why this is actually a bad thing.

But you’ll never convince a Linux user that they are wasting their time, as the simple fact that they are a Linux user shows they enjoy the challenge of fitting a round peg into a square hole.

No, absolutely not.

8-10 years ago, to an extent for performance with weaker machines due to stripped down OS using very little resources.

Today? Not a single benefit and a whole laundry list of reasons why this is actually a bad thing.

But you’ll never convince a Linux user that they are wasting their time, as the simple fact that they are a Linux user shows they enjoy the challenge of fitting a round peg into a square hole.

Sorry but that's just plain rubbish. You don't even recognize that there is a vey diverse universe of Linux distros, from the minimalistic to the luxurious. Of course the same choices with said advantage from 10 years ago exist as much today.

Win7 being discontinued next year so will finally have to get this working properly

Latest WINE-Update Breaks EU

My system upgraded to wine-mono-4.8.3-1 and wine-staging-4.8-1 and now EU fails to run. The last messages:

Code:
0009:fixme:process:GetNumaHighestNodeNumber (0x34e32c): semi-stub
0009:fixme:urlmon:InternetBindInfo_GetBindString not supported string type 20
0037:fixme:wininet:create_cache_entry INTERNET_FLAG_NEED_FILE is not supported correctly
0009:fixme:ieframe:BrowserService_GetTravelLog 0x133bf58 0x34e1b8
0009:fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x13191cc)->(0x34e2a8)
0009:fixme:ieframe:DocHostUIHandler_GetDropTarget (0x13191cc)
0009:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_AsyncOpen2 (0x131c2c0)->(0x4667fd0)
0009:fixme:jscript:JScriptProperty_SetProperty Unimplemented property 70000001
0009:fixme:jscript:JScriptProperty_SetProperty Unimplemented property 70000002
Application has crashed. ExceptionAddr: 4149539462
0009:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module

compared to

Code:
0009:fixme:process:GetNumaHighestNodeNumber (0x33e2ac): semi-stub
0055:fixme:wininet:create_cache_entry INTERNET_FLAG_NEED_FILE is not supported correctly
0009:fixme:ieframe:BrowserService_GetTravelLog 0x133b360 0x33e178
0009:fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x1317edc)->(0x33e268)
0009:fixme:ieframe:DocHostUIHandler_GetDropTarget (0x1317edc)
0009:fixme:mshtml:nsChannel_AsyncOpen2 (0x12d2ef0)->(0x4846230)
0009:fixme:jscript:JScriptProperty_SetProperty Unimplemented property 70000001
0009:fixme:jscript:JScriptProperty_SetProperty Unimplemented property 70000002
<------- as a comment: everything beyond here is what's missing in the above log ------->
0009:err:mshtml:ElementSelector_querySelectorAll QuerySelectorAll failed: 8053000c
0009:fixme:ieframe:PropertyNotifySink_OnChanged unimplemented dispid 1005
0009:fixme:ieframe:ClientSite_GetContainer (0x1317edc)->(0x33ec88)
<------- and many more lines of course ------->

I fixed it by reverting to the previous versions, which on my machine are wine-mono-4.8.2-1 and wine-staging-4.6-1. For my Arch the commands were as root:

Code:
$ pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/wine-mono-4.8.2-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
$ pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/wine-staging-4.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

I hope it's all working for you!

Anyone have any luck with this new VU. PlayonLinux just dumps the client when it tries to install C++

No luck here, loader crushes at 95% even if I manually installed Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 with winetricks. Loaded just insists on making install on its own and fails even if I have what it needs :(

No luck here since I last upgraded Wine. Just an error notice that Eu didn't shut down correctly the previous time, and then a ctd. Soon as I find the time to goof around with this I'll try reverting to winestaging-4.6.1. Cheers :beerchug:

No luck here, loader crushes at 95% even if I manually installed Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 with winetricks. Loaded just insists on making install on its own and fails even if I have what it needs :(

^^^ ditto here (I regressed wine to v4.6, now the launcher runs, but while applying the update it makes a series of abortive attempts to do something with Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 then wine displays an error from ClientLoader "Failed to update EU: An error occurred while applying the update. Please try again later.")

Stability, security, speed. Disadvantage: some types of links (mostly waypoint links) in chat don't work.

My system upgraded to wine-mono-4.8.3-1 and wine-staging-4.8-1 and now EU fails to run. The last messages:

<snipped>

I fixed it by reverting to the previous versions, which on my machine are wine-mono-4.8.2-1 and wine-staging-4.6-1. For my Arch the commands were as root:

Code:
$ pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/wine-mono-4.8.2-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
$ pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/wine-staging-4.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

I hope it's all working for you!

I just wanted to announce that today wine-staging-4.9-1 was installed and also a new Mesa-driver (I can't remember if there was a Mesa-update with the above problem). It's all working now so one of the two fixed it and my Unix is up-to-date :)

So in case you also suffered feel free to try it, too :wtg:

Install / Reinstall

So I ruined my Wine-installation and had to reinstall EU. If you are also reinstalling, make sure that you don't delete ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/ from the existing installation. We will use this further below, so move that somewhere else. Get rid of everything else or move it accordingly.

Anyway, it seems as if everything became easier:

I didn't do this as I already had everything, but I thinks it's still required:
Code:
# install Wine and its requirements, for Arch it's:
$ pacman -S wine-staging winetricks wine_gecko wine-mono zenity

Then for a default 64-bit setup in ~/.wine:
Code:
$ winecfg
It may ask to download wine_gecko despite installing it via the package manager, which is OK.

Note that I read here that it's better for performance to have a game run in an emulated desktop window. Therefore:
  • go to Graphics
  • check to emulate a virtual screen and set the resolution to whatever you want as long as it's <= your screen resolution. So normally you would put something like 1920 and 1080 in there or even more. Due to my (miserable) configuration my PC can't handle full-screen so I set something smaller here. Later in the client loader "full-screen" then means the size of that desktop window. Note that this can also be done via command line parameters, e.g.
    Code:
    wine explorer /desktop=EU,1280x1024 bin32/ClientLoader.exe
  • go to Staging
  • the CSMT-option may be checked or not (I read that this option is outdated, go figure). Anyway, it was said to check it.

Now for EU, after downloading the installer from their website:
Code:
$ winetricks corefonts vcrun2012 d3dx9
$ cd /tmp
$ wget "http://install2.entropiauniverse.com/entropia_universe_setup.exe"
$ wine entropia_universe_setup.exe

Let it run until it restarts the client loader. If you have those files lying around (see above) abort here, otherwise let it continue. Move your existing files to ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/entropia universe/public_users_data/.

From now on always do this:
Code:
# this cd is important as the ClientLoader then puts the binaries where they should be
$ cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Entropia Universe"
$ wine bin32/ClientLoader.exe

At this point you are ready for your (next) ATH :)

Extension

Install Gallium
Gallium Nine is supposed to further improve the performance of Wine's D3D-stuff.

For Arch the package name is wine-nine, which seems to know what to do. You can also go via package gallium-nine-git in the AUR, but you need to do some additional fiddling. In the end those files should exist (or at least the 32-bit or 64-bit ones depending on your installation) as Wine reads from the fakedlls-directory:

• /usr/lib/wine/d3d9-nine.dll.so
  • /usr/lib/wine/fakedlls/d3d9-nine.dll
  • /usr/lib/wine/fakedlls/ninewinecfg.exe
  • /usr/lib/wine/ninewinecfg.exe.so
  • /usr/lib32/wine/d3d9-nine.dll.so
  • /usr/lib32/wine/fakedlls/d3d9-nine.dll
  • /usr/lib32/wine/fakedlls/ninewinecfg.exe
  • /usr/lib32/wine/ninewinecfg.exe.so

You can then do
Code:
$ wine ninewinecfg
which should show all checkboxes checked. Note that the last one doesn't have to be checked, the improvement is obvious already. In that case the log in the console should show what's wrong above a red line.

Troubleshooting

Textures don't work or some icons aren't visible or Gallium Nine complains accordingly
Code:
$ winetricks d3dx9

Icons aren't rendered, but EU acts as if it renders them
You probably installed it with PlayOnLinux or ran winecfg d3dcompiler, which is a bad idea. As I don't know what library that installs or uses you're better off to create a new context.

Last edited:
Regarding 16.5.0 update

At least on linux+wine it was fixed with `winetricks urlmon` (note -- cause about 2G download).
(stable wine 64+32 4.0.2 works, wine 4.16 staging don't work for me).

Dear mods, if you can't give linux players a sub-section, can you please make this thread sticky?

PlayOnMac - no item icons

I was pleased to discover that I can play EU on a Mac. I used PlayOnMac, and everything went smoothly with the 16.5.0, but there is one issue. Item icons won't load. When I open my inventory or storage, I see item counts, and on mouse hover I see item name in a tooltip and green corners around the slot, but no image. Saw suggestion to run 64-bit client, but that option is grayed out in my loader.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: The game stopped after running for about an hour saying that it's "Not enough memory" now. I have 16gb on this machine, probably not all of it is available to the game. Is it possible to increase the limit? If not, how can I enable the 64-bit version?

Last edited:
Back