Entropia on Linux

Mine was this:

Code:
0288:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
00c0:err:clipboard:convert_selection Timed out waiting for SelectionNotify event
00c0:err:clipboard:convert_selection Timed out waiting for SelectionNotify event
0288:err:seh:dispatch_exception Fatal EXCEPTION_WINE_CXX_EXCEPTION exception (code=e06d7363) raised
0288:err:virtual:virtual_setup_exception stack overflow 2064 bytes in thread 0288 addr 0x7bc31f20 stack 0x1207f0 (0x120000-0x121000-0x220000)

And you can't just copy anything into the clipboard to fix it. It should be plain text like from a terminal or a text editor.

Yes, that's the same error as mine, and I confirmed last night that copying text into the clipboard fixes it. Thanks so much for identifying the root cause.

I'm now adding echo wtf | xclip -selection clipboard to my EU startup script to workaround the problem.

Upgraded wine to 6.5 and now wine throws:

Code:
wine: failed to load start.exe: 40000003

The solution is to use wine64 instead of wine to start EU.

I also observed another bug where copying images into the clipboard instantly crashes the client, so it's advised to avoid that while EU is running.

Does anyone have experience with Wine and configured Windows 10? I currently play in Windows 7-mode.

Does anyone have experience with Wine and configured Windows 10? I currently play in Windows 7-mode.
no, but why would you wnat to do that?
I got it configured to win8.1 and it works great.

It's advised to install and use dxvk for better performance if your GPU is supported.
[/SPOILER]

Wanna explain this to me like I'm five? I tried installing dxvk using a couple guides that were at the top of Google search, but it doesn't seem to have worked. In fact, the client loader won't even launch. Good thing I'm trying this on a spare machine...

no, but why would you wnat to do that?
I got it configured to win8.1 and it works great.
Because Mindark wants to support Windows 10 and up with UE 5. And even though it will be a while until that is released it'd help me to know how Wine is doing at this point. I mean it makes a difference if they're at "doesn't work at all", "most of it works" or "all is perfect" right now.

Wanna explain this to me like I'm five? I tried installing dxvk using a couple guides that were at the top of Google search, but it doesn't seem to have worked. In fact, the client loader won't even launch. Good thing I'm trying this on a spare machine...
Would be more useful if you can provide relevant logs.

The client loader has been pretty unstable (random freezes) for me recently as well. Fortunately I only need to use it to perform VU updates otherwise I just launch the Entropia.exe directly.

I think iv been running in windows 10 mode ?(according to the winecfg Applications tab ?) no real noticeable difference. I was having issues with the 64bit version of the game not appearing (but running in system monitor)
Would be more useful if you can provide relevant logs.

The client loader has been pretty unstable (random freezes) for me recently as well. Fortunately I only need to use it to perform VU updates otherwise I just launch the Entropia.exe directly.

The client loader has also been really unstable for me also. Downloading the planet data, the client loader kept freezing. Restarting it seemed to continue the download though.

But otherwise seems to be running fine for me on Pop-os.
(Also just a note im a total linux noob, having only just installed it a few hours ago :D)

Last edited:
woot, EU using less resources on Linux Mint 21 !

happlly playing EU on linux with wine since about 2 years now.
no issues whatsoever!

Yesterday's update caused a weird issue that I can't get to work. The Client Loader downloads some files, does something with them and then stalls at 95%. I killed and restarted it with the exact same behaviour. I don't get to the Tool-window to verify the installation.

Then I tried to run the installer in a new Wine-context, but couldn't complete the installation of DirectX 11 as the progress bar stopped at like 70%.

There's nothing useful in journalctl or dmesg. The only log I found was the one from Wine when activating the debug output in Lutris. This gets logged when the progress hits 95%:

Code:
0128:fixme:uiautomation:uia_get_providers_for_hwnd Override provider callback currently unimplemented.
0128:fixme:uiautomation:msaa_provider_GetPropertyValue Unimplemented propertyId 30024
0128:fixme:uiautomation:msaa_fragment_get_FragmentRoot 00000000009732F8, 0000000001B4FAA0: stub!

I've seen his "unimplemented"-message across the years too often that I can't say that this is the problem.

As it has been a while since the latest VU that modified something on our end, so I don't know what update of my Ubuntu 22.04 may have caused this.

So if anyone knows where I can find useful information, please let me know. Until then I'm not able to play the game anymore :(

OK, long story short, my Wine-version (lutris-GE-Proton8-13-x86_64) stopped working and I had to switch to another version. My Ubuntu comes with Wine 6.0.3 and I was able to update with that oldie.

So: can you lovely Unix-users please post your Wine-version here? It doesn't matter if you use Lutris, Play-on-Linux, ...

MindArk fixed the Client Loader and I can now use lutris-GE-Proton8-13-x86_64 again for updates, too 👍

just thought id chime in

running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with xfce and lightdm as my display manager, no issues whatsoever with EU

you obviously need wine, it works out of the box but with very weird graphical glitches, especially on trees and vegetation

i was able to fix it by using directx to vulkan which works really, really well. performance is better than on windows 11 on the same machine

simply copy the dxvk.dll to your $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/system32 and $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/syswow64

then in winecfg, associate the directx librairies to be native (Windows) instead of your system's and enjoy the insane performance :)

Last edited:
simply copy the dxvk.dll
Where do I find that file or how do I install it? I can't find it on my HDD. In the configuration of the launcher I have "Enable D3VK" enabled (version 2.3) and the DLL-overrides are empty. In winecfg the dropdown with the libraries doesn't contain a "dxvk".

The log shows
Code:
info:  Game: ClientLoader.exe
info:  DXVK: v2.3
info:  Vulkan: Found vkGetInstanceProcAddr in winevulkan.dll @ 0x171d3890
info:  Built-in extension providers:
info:    Win32 WSI
info:    OpenVR
info:    OpenXR
info:  OpenVR: could not open registry key, status 2
info:  OpenVR: Failed to locate module
info:  Enabled instance extensions:
info:    VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2
info:    VK_KHR_surface
info:    VK_KHR_win32_surface
warn:  Skipping CPU adapter: llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7, 256 bits)
info:  D3D9: VK_FORMAT_D16_UNORM_S8_UINT -> VK_FORMAT_D24_UNORM_S8_UINT

So to me it looks as if Vulkan is active. No?

Otherwise, I'll try that.

Back