"Pets" or "Companions"

What should those NPCs be called who follow us around and help us?

• "Pets"?

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • "Companions"?

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • No name. Take them out. I live and breath in Entropia and my mom would kill me if I had a SLAVE!

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

jak

Elite
Society
Crimson Devils
je jak bam
OK, there has been too much drama related to humanoid type "pets" and if you look at how a few other very well known games solved this problem you will see that they simply changed the name from "pet" to "companion" and PRESTO the drama and problem was solved!

I personally have a LOT of respect for girls/ladies/woman and the thought of having one as a "pet" turns my stomach. However in Entropia Universe I would not mind having a companion that could buff me while I hunt and venture about with me! And if she looked pretty while doing it, or if she looked like a vampire, it would just make the game that much more fun!

I'm sure you see the difference...

This was brought up before and I agreed that, while it might still be somewhat difficult to stomach, this simple change would make a big difference.

However a much larger problem that needs to be addressed is the method of "taming", and the term itself.

Changing "pets" to "companions" doesn't do much while we're still whipping them into submission until they succumb to our will.

This was brought up before and I agreed that, while it might still be somewhat difficult to stomach, this simple change would make a big difference.

However a much larger problem that needs to be addressed is the method of "taming", and the term itself.

Changing "pets" to "companions" doesn't do much while we're still whipping them into submission until they succumb to our will.

LOL, good point... Guess those other games did not have you whipping them to make them submit to you... :D

But this would help a bit.... maybe Hominids would get different method to acquire them? Like mission rewards or something, while animals would use the way we have now?

baby steps, one thing at a time and we might get this fixed....

Cool, So instead of whipping a creature or humanoid into submission I just need to kill enough of their kind so they learn to be my 'pet' or suffer the same fate ....

Changing the method of acquiring will always open itself to another complaining about that method.

Cool, So instead of whipping a creature or humanoid into submission I just need to kill enough of their kind so they learn to be my 'pet' or suffer the same fate ....

Changing the method of acquiring will always open itself to another complaining about that method.

No-one suggested that method except you. Putting words into people's mouths contributes nothing useful to the debate.

No-one suggested that method except you. Putting words into people's mouths contributes nothing useful to the debate.

How (in real world terms) would you correlate the supply of a pet in exchange for killing x number via a mission?

My statement would have been my interpretation of a mission system.

Reactions: jak
For the vixens, Neverdie stated in the deed description it was hacked, the current ingame mechanism don't allow that. You had to take the description as a lore/roleplay element and abstract the fact of how your avatar acquired it.
The fact that 'pets' are sellable, would you prefer it would be avatar bound ? In a game advertised as RCE it may sound not so good but anyway, steps are already done toward it.
The fact that you could gain a follower in a mission could hurt some also. It would be perceived as a trophy...
As for companion over pets, yes, prolly. Or give them a more generic name like follower that's what they are, companions usually help you by giving heals, providing inventory storage, attack ennemies. Giving only passive buffs somewhat lack of interaction.
Pet is somewhat reducing, companion would be overrated.
Anyway, maybe the future will bring good things. MA introduce a lot of step 1 systems that could be awesome if they expanded it instead of nerfing it. But sadly, stage 2 of development never made it for a lot of EU subsystems.

Companions it is

It's worth to take a look at the item description of this new vampire chick.
I don't have it at hand but quoting from memory it speaks about gaining respect, which is something that only mighty warrior can do... something like that.

Werewolf Leaders have gathered in the Biodome! The Vampires don't like it. The Proximity is too close to their Cathedral... The Vampires fear deeply the permadeath triggered by the Worms and Viruses unleashed by the TROJAN KONG. The bloodless Vampires don't respond to the anti-dote, so they need Human avatars with immunity to battle for them under the watchful eye of the Dhampyre.. It is said that a Human who proves fealty to the Vampires by fighting their sworn enemy, may be worthy of the affection of a Dhampyre.

That is the lore from the Dhampyre Fiend (pet)

Pet

Noun

1 A domestic or tamed animal kept for companionship or pleasure: 'the pony was a family pet'

1.1 A person treated with special favour or affection: 'she is the pet of the family'

1.2 [as modifier] Treated with special attention or evoking particularly strong feelings: 'another of her pet projects was the arts centre'

1.3 British Used as an affectionate form of address 'don’t cry, pet, it’s all right'

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/pet

I'm not sure renaming pets as companions is possible due to the development of Compets.

ComPets ... Companion Pets ...

"Why not both!"

Name of app shouldn't be an issue really, we already have virtual tycoon.
I suspected there would have been some confusion between what kind of pet belong to entropia and which one belong to compet but since MA admitted confusion i am more confused than ever about the interaction between their two products.

Call them slaves.

*throws gas on the fire*

Only if you will be my slave.

At only $5 (50ped) its a bargin.

Now, Go sweat some mobs for me my slave.

Quoting myself.

Ok so if I understand correctly...

If a mob appears humanoid female and is dressed in a fashion similar to many female players, then...

1. We can not let them be tamable pets.
2. We should instead simply shoot them dead and loot them.
3. Even better, adjust their clothing so as to insure they are less sexually suggestive than the female players.

Got it. :dunno:

I'm a woman, and frankly I think people spend too much time being offended about things. It's just a game. The vixens don't bother me. I don't view it as the oppression or objectification of women by the patriarchy and I haven't gone screaming about it all over tumblr. I would probably have one myself if they were spawnable.

People need to find better things to do with their time than finding things to get upset about.

I'm a woman, and frankly I think people spend too much time being offended about things. It's just a game. The vixens don't bother me. I don't view it as the oppression or objectification of women by the patriarchy and I haven't gone screaming about it all over tumblr. I would probably have one myself if they were spawnable.

People need to find better things to do with their time than finding things to get upset about.

Agree here! It's just pixels! So what you call it dosnt matter.

different taming tools for different kind of mobs would be good, hitting a drone with a whip is pointless, it should be an hacking tool and use a different range of skills too

Agree here! It's just pixels! So what you call it dosnt matter.

I am also a women and I don't give a shit. This is a video game, not real life. Agree with both of these ladies ^

What I also find interesting is that so far all of these threads I've seen complaining about how "disgusting" and "wrong" the female pets are were all started by men.

You can put your fedoras away, boys. :laugh:

I don't mind pets/companions, but to a better understanding the right name should be annoyances

I am a man, and that doesn't matter. My opinion should be the as valid as anyones whatever race, gender, color or religion (flying spaghetti monster anyone?) I belong to.

This shit is about MOBS. They look like humans but they are not. there's a robot and a vampire.
Therefor there is no need to change the name to companions.

The discussion is only valid once the boxer pet becomes available.
The boxer is indeed human.
and it's male.
So this male boxer human pet will be whipped into submission and fed from time to time.

Although I think there will be no discussion about it once introduced. The question is... why is that?

different taming tools for different kind of mobs would be good, hitting a drone with a whip is pointless, it should be an hacking tool and use a different range of skills too

So what "tool" would you use to tame a female humanoid. :laugh:

The discussion is only valid once the boxer pet becomes available.
The boxer is indeed human.
and it's male.

One Pet I wouldn't mind helping me out. :boxer:

End of the gaming session you can grab a beer with him and not have an argument about who's turn it was to do the washing up. :xwink:

Seriously, some of you involved in this discussion are wound up too tight. :smoke:

Back