Why should you avoid melee weapons?

syntax

Guardian
syntax error
Reading through some of the economy threads, I've seen multiple comments about avoiding melee weapons. Why?

I've been skilling longblades using a repedge 2x0 for a long time now, and according to entropedia it's still towards the top of the list when you sort by dmg/pec. Am I missing something else about this?

I'm guessing that if you sort using your longblade hit and dmg professions, you'll find better alternatives.

As for staying away from melee, no clue. These days, melee is more eco + dmg/sec than ever before.

Reading through some of the economy threads, I've seen multiple comments about avoiding melee weapons. Why?

I've been skilling longblades using a repedge 2x0 for a long time now, and according to entropedia it's still towards the top of the list when you sort by dmg/pec. Am I missing something else about this?

Higher defensive costs for one thing.

Also more tricky/infuriating SIB progression (at some point you have to choose between chipping in or skilling with something with horrible eco).

I'm still waiting for Mindark to address that 2nd issue. It would be so simple to introduce some low/mid level SIB melee weapons @ the daily token trader. But currently due to the lack of options, I would never recommend a disciple with a small budget to get into melee (other than using the TT weapons to build up some Strength for weight capacity).

Unless you've got kill strike and all that good stuff unlocked, 2x0 has pretty average to terrible eco.

Oh and another thing (though this is a minor QoL issue), most melee weapons break quick. So you need a bunch of them for long hunts :p
(unless you've got those portable repair terminals I keep hearing about :eyecrazy:)

Last edited:
I have a question since im skilling melee, has anyone hunted flying mobs with knifes? For example lemmy dragon for combat says close but since its flying over you and knifes got 4m range idk if thats a problem? I think its best time to start skilling melee since ul knifes are soooo cheap.

It would be so simple to introduce some low/mid level SIB melee weapons @ the daily token trader. But currently due to the lack of options, I would never recommend a disciple with a small budget to get into melee (other than using the TT weapons to build up some Strength for weight capacity).

there's some nice low / mid melee SIB
all 2.9+ dpp with amp

lvl 13 req / 19 maxed
http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&id=1185

lvl 19 req / 25 maxed
http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&id=1183

lvl 34 req / 39 maxed
http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&id=1240

and then
http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&id=1225

price way lower than ranged equivalent.

Knives have shorter range. Melee is not wise for flying mobs but you should have a pre-damager anyway.

The higher defensive cost reason is a lazy one. Yea, it may be a little higher but unless you're doing something like proterons, it iseems little difference since most mobs are on you quickly AND you should be using a predamager. My Defense cost is less than 1.5% always and that's almost always better than ever one who uses a gun.

In short, melee offers many advantages most of which includes locking up retarded amount of peds for what you can get for less than 5k. Arcspark has the best cost per damage of any blade and that knife is fantastic. Range is often overrated.

Melee is better than ever, and still cheap. The only drawback is no range but you can always still use L guns for tagging. I use an UL club and get 2.9 eco and dps rivaling any high level gun now that we have melee amps.

I'm currently not using any melee amps, should I be?

I feel like I've probably been doing this wrong the whole time (as with most things EU). I just grabbed a couple of Axes a decade ago and that's pretty much all I use. I guess I have a lot more reading to do. Any good write-ups on how to do melee effectively?

Knives have shorter range. Melee is not wise for flying mobs but you should have a pre-damager anyway.

The higher defensive cost reason is a lazy one. Yea, it may be a little higher but unless you're doing something like proterons, it iseems little difference since most mobs are on you quickly AND you should be using a predamager. My Defense cost is less than 1.5% always and that's almost always better than ever one who uses a gun.

Sure, at high levels with uber heal/arson chips that sounds fine. For a beginner with low evade hunting Kerbs the situation is a little different. With a decent ranged weapon you could have them dead by the time they hit your feet. Using a melee weapon ups your defensive costs from 0% to as high as 1-2% depending on evade levels.

In case it wasn't obvious enough, my advice is geared towards newer players with a limited bankroll. Thanks in no small part to the daily token trader, I still think ranged is their best option.

The options directly after the TT weapons are not exactly appealing for melee.

Most people have defense costs higher than 3% with guns.. some high at 10% who also bitch about returns... and other than some brief stints with other weapons, I've been melee since I rolled out with OJs. Like I said, you use a predamager anyway, so your example is not true.. unless you're doing it exclusively and you shouldn't be.

Don't need large evade. Melee is better than ever with far more alternatives. There are sib melee from L0 to at least L50 much cheaper than any gun. Which, let's face it, with the devaluation
Of items, will be more than what you spend on defensive costs in most cases.

Just a note, I don't need an Arson chip (which I don't have) or an uber fap (which I don't have). Just excuses.

Last edited:
I'm currently not using any melee amps, should I be?

see different DPP :

dpp_melee.jpg

I definately think melee is worth using thats the reason im skilling it. A lot of cheap ul sib swords/knifes with good eco. You can use a rifle until mob gets close. Before i used rifle then switch to gun but melee is even better in my opinion.

Atomic what is the main issue with knife on flying mobs? Avatar spining to aim at it or something else?

http://www.entropiawiki.com/WeaponCompare.aspx

choose your weap, with and with out amp, and look at DPP

I'm guessing that if you sort using your longblade hit and dmg professions, you'll find better alternatives.

As for staying away from melee, no clue. These days, melee is more eco + dmg/sec than ever before.

see different DPP :

dpp_melee.jpg

Thanks for showing me, that makes sense. Entropedia is not working correctly in my region today, so I will have to play with this some more. I've never really used any of those options.

Basically there is no reason to stay away from melee once you have spent a few months on any ranged damage weapon

As a person who used to use pistols/rifles and now uses clubs, I am happy to say that this was one of the best decisions i've made in Entropia to date. My mace is a combat mace mk III with trauma VIII amp at tier 6.1. Without enhancers I'm in the mid 2.9 dmg/pec range and pumping out about 60 DPS IIRC. Fully enhanced I am still at like 2.92 dps at 91 dps. With today's prices, you can get a mace like mine and amp for about 8-9K. A similar handgun (Ranked scorpion for example, the gun I owned before switching over) with worse eco sells for about 15K for the gun alone, not including the imp a105 which you need for good eco which costs another 2k-3k or so.

With less ped tied up in items, you have more flexibility with ped to hunt and/or invest in deeds. This lets you play longer and reduces your risk of item depreciation. While I have lost over 3K on my VIII amp (thanks MA for making it rain blood samples), I still saved in the end in comparison to keeping my ranked scorpion set up. Make the switch, it's worth it. Use the L rifles you loot as pre-damagers and you're all set to go. Alternatively, you can pick up a cheap pre-damager and sell all those lovely (L) ranged weapons for the high mark up that they go for :)

The only set back I have with melee is shared loot mobs.
It seems mobs attack based on distance from the mob and melee users always seem to get killed more than someone who is shooting from 80 meters away. I love hunting shared mobs but I don't do it much anymore since I feel my returns are worse than when I had a ranged weapon. But if you want to participate, you can always just buy (L) guns for the event and go to town.

Or just stay away from shared loot mobs.. which is the better and smarter option.

I definately think melee is worth using thats the reason im skilling it. A lot of cheap ul sib swords/knifes with good eco. You can use a rifle until mob gets close. Before i used rifle then switch to gun but melee is even better in my opinion.

Atomic what is the main issue with knife on flying mobs? Avatar spining to aim at it or something else?

Short range.. and yea the mob tends to cause the avatar to spin and act funny if you have the interact option on. Most times though, you just can't hit it if it is high enough.

Short range.. and yea the mob tends to cause the avatar to spin and act funny if you have the interact option on. Most times though, you just can't hit it if it is high enough.

Aaa was affraid of that. Thanks for info :)

Higher defensive costs for one thing.

Also more tricky/infuriating SIB progression (at some point you have to choose between chipping in or skilling with something with horrible eco).

I'm still waiting for Mindark to address that 2nd issue. It would be so simple to introduce some low/mid level SIB melee weapons @ the daily token trader. But currently due to the lack of options, I would never recommend a disciple with a small budget to get into melee (other than using the TT weapons to build up some Strength for weight capacity).

Unless you've got kill strike and all that good stuff unlocked, 2x0 has pretty average to terrible eco.

Oh and another thing (though this is a minor QoL issue), most melee weapons break quick. So you need a bunch of them for long hunts :p
(unless you've got those portable repair terminals I keep hearing about :eyecrazy:)

This sword is fantastic for skilling and has a great eco:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/newreply.php?p=3388984&noquote=1

I have a question since im skilling melee, has anyone hunted flying mobs with knifes? For example lemmy dragon for combat says close but since its flying over you and knifes got 4m range idk if thats a problem? I think its best time to start skilling melee since ul knifes are soooo cheap.

I have used firefly, arcspark and stingury for hunting all the dragon types on Rocktropia, and some kingfishers on caly.

It can be done, but it is not as easy as with a ranged weapon.
I pretty much just use baringer + knife (both amped of course) and keep a zk10 or some other L gun on me for times where range is a serious issue.

That being said.... I hunt flying mobs a lot less now because you do end up jumping alot and focusing energy in being in that 'sweet spot' where you are hitting every time, easiest with melee is a dense spawn of medium lvl mobs you can over armor for and use a loot pill + select next target to watch your skill gains fly.

201hp @ L67 I have 3 more levels before commando (ranged weapon users usually have like 180-190hp when they hit L70) and and am a firm believer in the badassery of melee in Entropia.

Ranged + Melee combination is what I'd recommend.

You get the Agility, Strength, Melee combat and also take a chunk out of the mobs health before it gets into punching range.

Argonauts some years ago I used mindforce then battered it with a Club.

Good fun. :spank:

I have used firefly, arcspark and stingury for hunting all the dragon types on Rocktropia, and some kingfishers on caly.

It can be done, but it is not as easy as with a ranged weapon.
I pretty much just use baringer + knife (both amped of course) and keep a zk10 or some other L gun on me for times where range is a serious issue.

That being said.... I hunt flying mobs a lot less now because you do end up jumping alot and focusing energy in being in that 'sweet spot' where you are hitting every time, easiest with melee is a dense spawn of medium lvl mobs you can over armor for and use a loot pill + select next target to watch your skill gains fly.

201hp @ L67 I have 3 more levels before commando (ranged weapon users usually have like 180-190hp when they hit L70) and and am a firm believer in the badassery of melee in Entropia.

I will try and see how it goes when i skill up a bit thanks for input maybe i can get some surgery and make my avatar taller to reach them :))).

Exactly what im doing, loot pill and next target click borring but since i dont buy skills has to be done. Got knifes from lvl 18 to lvl 39 now all i need is time which i dont have because of work :D. Hopefully i will have a month off once i get back from this trip in a couple days to do some more skilling :)

So do y'all think in the long run knives over longblades?

So do y'all think in the long run knives over longblades?

Twice as fast, half the damage.

Both are good - if you want to collect skillpoints you'll want a few thousand in both. :xmas:

go the less beaten route and skill mace.. higher TT clubs so y ou dont have to constantly repair and very eco.. plus after mace mk II you can use all trauma amps up to X, mk I can take up to VI amp and mk II can take up to VIII i believe

also its a good mix of attack speed and damage so you don't fly through all your enhancers like you would with a short blade, and usually a bit faster than traditional longblades. My maces have 40-44 attacks/min

Yes melee is still underrated and prices on the UL blades are amazing. As someone points out, there is not the big concern of value degration since the blades are low priced almost no matter what level they are.

Since mindark kinda puts everyone in the range direction with the starter gear given out, the demand for UL SIB weapons in the range department suffers from higher prices due to a higher demand.

Get a decent (L) tagger and a good blade. Most monsters run in your face in a few seconds anyway.

I sold my Tier 3 Adjusted Embra C1 blade not long ago. i used it with melee amp VI as it can take it due to high dmg / swing. Amazing amount of DPS at a low level can be archieved with that setup. it cost around +800 for a blade and amplifier. (for reference i sold tier 3,7 sword for +500 and amplifier is +200-250) :)

There is a lot of much cheaper Next island swords, but those dont take amp's at all.

Good luck with the melee skilling :)

Back