Question: theory: the influence of rewards on PPC & CLD turnover

awe

Deactivated Account
Note: this post was made prior to the MM update and the admittance that rewards come from the Planet Partner. Make the assumption true.

I came upon this remarkable theory; that when if it would be true, would be quite interesting.

The assumption:
Rewards for Merry Mayhem, gauntlet and newbie missions is paid by planet partner calypso.

This leads to the following situation:

PPC pays for the rewards which leads to less return; which also leads to less CLD return.
Now this is trivial; since most players will just play those rewards away, leading to more turn over and thus more income for PPC/CLD.

So it seems a cost-neutral operation... if it wasn't for the 50% MA takes.

Now, what is the point of this and why would a company do this?
If we look through history, we see that MA actually failed to sell Calypso and now has a dev team that consisted of former MA employees. There is no reason for Planet Calypso to make more income then needed to pay for expenses, since all income is shared with CLD holders.
MA on the other hand, as platform provider; has as primary goal (as all companies) to make money.
Now, if the above assumption is true; for each ped given as reward they actually drop PPC/CLD income by 50pec and increase MA income by 50pec.

Now, the risk is that the rewards could be redrawn; but by giving UA as a reward this risk is already minimized.
If the assumption is true; this would be a brilliant schemed maneuver.

Merry Christmas
:xmas::xmas::xmas:

Last edited:
Not really a new theory. I stated that in the CLD return thread. It also probably includes the shrapnel conversion. I'm sure the intent was for no one to notice because the amount turned over is much much larger than the amount converted or received in bonus.

Not really a new theory. I stated that in the CLD return thread. It also probably includes the shrapnel conversion. I'm sure the intent was for no one to notice because the amount turned over is much much larger than the amount converted or received in bonus.

I just wonder, with all the new player missions awarding UA; how much impact this has.
There are about ~50PED total mission rewards. So that is about a 2.5$ transfer for each new player.

Also, to put up my tin foil hat; the gauntlet at camp Icarus is broken, since MM. This is only 10PED of free UA and a 4ped healing tool; but with many newbies doing this, it adds up. Prolly about 2800PED a day or 16pec less a CLD.

Also, 2500ped UA for both free and solo mayhem doesn't seem much; but if there are 1000 players doing both it ends up at 5.000.000 PED and half 250k$ transfer from PPC to MA. And about 20ped less payout for the CLD's during the mayhem period.

Now, CLD holders might be sad about this; but really, the other PP are the victims. How can they compete with a PC this way?
hmm, food for thought I guess.

There isnt a transfer to mindark. Mindark gets a portion of the decay in the same way pps get their peds. You assume UA has no value and it allows them to remove it as a liability on the balance sheet but it isn't true. You are just forced to cycle it into the system in exchange for a 1% bonus paid for by cld holders in effect likely resulting in more cld revenue or at least, and even swap.

The small new player bonuses are too small to matter in a revenue post in the hundreds of Ks. But, the 5000 ped universal ammo was a gross miscalculation.

There isnt a transfer to mindark. Mindark gets a portion of the decay in the same way pps get their peds. You assume UA has no value and it allows them to remove it as a liability on the balance sheet but it isn't true. You are just forced to cycle it into the system in exchange for a 1% bonus paid for by cld holders in effect likely resulting in more cld revenue or at least, and even swap.

The small new player bonuses are too small to matter in a revenue post in the hundreds of Ks. But, the 5000 ped universal ammo was a gross miscalculation.

Indeed MA gets 50% of the "decay" and the PP the other 50%. The things is that the PP gives out UA to be "decayed" and they only receive half of that "decay" back.
So it is an indirect transfer.

Lol, seeing that MA just have admitted that the UA bonus from MM comes from PP (and thus CLD return) the base assumption of the OP is stated as true.
Which means :rofl:

If you suggest that CLD payouts are affected by shrapnel conversions, what of shrapnel dropping / converted in other planets?

Do you suggest that the PP of the various planets are paying whenever someone converts shrapnel there?

If you suggest that CLD payouts are affected by shrapnel conversions, what of shrapnel dropping / converted in other planets?

Do you suggest that the PP of the various planets are paying whenever someone converts shrapnel there?

I don't know about the shrapnel dynamics but it seems unlikely that it is PP based.
unlike instances or mission rewards; shrapnel is not something PP asked for.

I came upon this remarkable theory; that when if it would be true, would be quite interesting.

The assumption:
Rewards for Merry Mayhem, gauntlet and newbie missions is paid by planet partner calypso.

This leads to the following situation:

PPC pays for the rewards which leads to less return; which also leads to less CLD return.
Now this is trivial; since most players will just play those rewards away, leading to more turn over and thus more income for PPC/CLD.

So it seems a cost-neutral operation... if it wasn't for the 50% MA takes.

Now, what is the point of this and why would a company do this?
If we look through history, we see that MA actually failed to sell Calypso and now has a dev team that consisted of former MA employees. There is no reason for Planet Calypso to make more income then needed to pay for expenses, since all income is shared with CLD holders.
MA on the other hand, as platform provider; has as primary goal (as all companies) to make money.
Now, if the above assumption is true; for each ped given as reward they actually drop PPC/CLD income by 50pec and increase MA income by 50pec.

Now, the risk is that the rewards could be redrawn; but by giving UA as a reward this risk is already minimized.
If the assumption is true; this would be a brilliant schemed maneuver.

Merry Christmas
:xmas::xmas::xmas:

Its actually a brilliant move as this protects the universe from a single planet partner giving out to much or unbalanced rewards to draw more players to his planet as at the end of the day the planet partner and in turn his customers/players pay for whats handed out.
We have had several issues in the past were this wasnt the case and im sure with this adjustment its less likely to happen again.

However as we have seen in the recent merry mayhem event, its still possible for a planet partner to screw majorily up by releasing exploitable rewards.
As often multiaccount usage makes exploiting easy - if every account would require a unique creditcard for registration we would have alot less multiaccounts in use and less exploits.

if every account would require a unique creditcard for registration we would have alot less multiaccounts in use and less exploits.

And no new players at all.

Entropia and other 'free to try' MMORPG's have always worked on letting people install them, if they dont like them they can uninstall. If they like it, they stick around and make here their new virtual home.

If you think we have a new player issue (I dont think we have, but they are spread amongst 6 planets now - not the 1 as in 5 years ago) basically no one will install a game that requires credit card details first - lots of people dont even own a credit card and use bank cards, paypal etc to pay for items.

Even a blind man could see that happening :)

Now the next things we are probably going to see are:
1. newcomer mission rewards/gauntlet gets nerved
2. a triple skill event in January, possibly even with some nice item loot event; just to crank up those CLD returns and restore confidence. And also getting some cash flow for PC, since the bills have to be paid.

Now the interesting thing is how much harm has been done?
Is the return negative and thus carried over to the next week? In which case there won't be any pay-outs.
And if so, how much minus are we talking about? Since people are still doing MM solo at their own pace, combined with lower than usual activity for the year, leads me to think that it will carry into the first week of the new year.

Now the interesting thing is how much harm has been done?
Is the return negative and thus carried over to the next week? In which case there won't be any pay-outs.
And if so, how much minus are we talking about?

In the main thread I compared the situation to a travel agent not getting commission from a booking because the hotel gave out too much free beer, or whatever.
I didn't dare also write that the hotel might even want to 'charge' the travel agent for sending holidaymakers that week, and take it out of future commissions due!!!

However, since you mention it.... it's a good point to watch! +rep

Entropia and other 'free to try' MMORPG's have always worked on letting people install them, if they dont like them they can uninstall. If they like it, they stick around and make here their new virtual home.

If you think we have a new player issue (I dont think we have, but they are spread amongst 6 planets now - not the 1 as in 5 years ago) basically no one will install a game that requires credit card details first - lots of people dont even own a credit card and use bank cards, paypal etc to pay for items.

Agreed I'm playing a diablo clone called devilian. The game is free to play.... kind of. In order to access most chat functions, the auction house, mail and a ton of other basic features you have to prove yourself human... by buying with real cash something from the game. This is to prevent "botting" and "gold sellers". It fails hugely at both. Needless to say it annoys the hell out of players and is a huge turn off for new players who were told "its free" but you can't even get basic/standard feature that have been around for over 10 years. With literally hundreds of free to play games of that style most players are just up and leaving before they even play a few hours. I played entropia without depoing for over 3 years... alot of low level players play without depoing ever. You would see alot less people trying the game if it required some kind of "proof" to play.

Having anonymity towards the game provider in a real cash economy is like asking to be robbed.
I bet we loose alot of players because of imbalances in the ingame economy which are caused by scammers and exploiters directly or indirectly.
Maybe having an identity check for everyone would have a bad impact on registrations from low payroll players but having less exploits and a more stable economy and positive markup trends would also cause alot more players to recommend the game to their friends.
And it likely would already help alot if only those people needed to proof their unique identity who share the same ip adress (and/or have a changing ip adress).

Back