IBM R51 Notebook

majorputty

Old Alpha
Society
RNW
Major Fluffy Putty
Is there anybody that can play EU on an IBM R51 notebook, I have tried a couple of times but it crashes after about 5 mins.

I have the latest graphic drivers, well all the latest drivers for that matter.
I have 1.5 gb ram, the graphic memory is 64meg, not sure if i can change that.

I DO know that EU is working fine on the IBM T42 and other models.

I am going away on a company function next month and would like to be able to use my notebook to work on the project (project entropia that is).

majorputty said:
Is there anybody that can play EU on an IBM R51 notebook, I have tried a couple of times but it crashes after about 5 mins.

I have the latest graphic drivers, well all the latest drivers for that matter.
I have 1.5 gb ram, the graphic memory is 64meg, not sure if i can change that.

I DO know that EU is working fine on the IBM T42 and other models.

I am going away on a company function next month and would like to be able to use my notebook to work on the project (project entropia that is).

The R51 is an older notebook. We have a number of IBM laptops, of varying models, at work and I tried PE on almost all of them. It was test of their ability to handle an intensive application like PE. At least that is what I called it, :D The R series pretty much failed every time. Sometimes it would run for a short period and then crash. You do have plenty of memory but not being able to upgrade the video card is a problem that isn't resolvable.

DarkMatter

Reactions: Jal
Hmm, I was running PE on a 1GHz P3 system with 512mb RAM and a 64mb nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 PCI earlier today. Worked kind of jerky in populated areas, but overall it was playable and never crashed. I don't think it's a specs thing...

What's the model of your video controller? If it's not ATI or nVidia (some Intel thing, perhaps?), it may have problems... have you tried disabling some of the graphics options in the client loader? Also, switch from 32-bit color to 16-bit color; it provides a HUGE framerate increase in 3D applications with no visible decrease in quality (IMO). Might help you out...

Back