What is a good way to log MU after a run?

syntax

Guardian
syntax error
I'm starting a new log to better track my losses. In the past I've always just logged TT values. I've noticed others include MU value in their log, which I want to do so I can see if I'm getting better at targeting the right ores.

What is the typical method for doing this? Do you just look at each ore and use the avg weekly (monthly?) or is there an easier way? I did this manually after my last run and it was a pain. I thought about making a spreadsheet with the current avg MU for each ore and I can just key in my TT return for each one, but this seems like a pain to keep up with also. I feel like an infomercial girl sitting at a desk with a bunch of calculators going "there must be a better way!".

I honestly don't track it per say. Instead, I map all my ore finds with a combination of LBML and Excel (also starting to use more advanced GIS programs) so I can target high markup areas. You can calculate your expected average MU needed to break-even based on 90% TT return and other costs such as amp MU. In my case right now, I'm targeting areas with 116% MU on average at least. Otherwise, the maps from LBML will also give you a good idea of the finds in each server, so you can calculate average markup if you don't have good personal data on the area: http://www.mininglog.com/maps.php

The rest isn't hard to do in a spreadsheet. If you keep a list of ores and update the MU you'd expect to sell at in auction currently, you should be pretty close unless you have a resource that fluctuates a lot in a matter of days.

Last edited:
I tend to only track markup gained, this is after a sale.

Meaning all peds after fees into my calculations are then added.

Whatever markup was gained you try work out the avg per location or mob.

I didn't plan to play a bookkeeping game but I ended up logging a lot.
I really wanted to see in the long run the truth behind the 90% returns.

So in my spreadsheet I have:
  • Gain (excl MU) %
  • Gain (excl MU)
  • Gain (inclu MU) %
  • Gain (incl MU)
  • Decay
  • Ammo used
  • Cost probes
  • ME used
  • Fuel used
  • Amp buy price + MU
  • Amps TT value before mining
  • Amps TT value after mining
  • Amp cost
  • Extra costs
  • TT resources-MU
  • TT resources+MU
  • Sum of ores (incl MU)
  • Sum of enm (incl MU)
  • Ore income after cost for probes
  • Enm income after cost for probes
  • Best find (O = ore, E = enm). Takes into concideration the cost for ore and enmatter mining
  • Resource types
  • Loot
  • Comments

Using this I then plot the result in a diagram so its easy to see how I am doing.
Orange line = income + MU
Blue line = income - Markup

The example shows my runs on RT in 2013. When alternative had a nice MU :)

mining_graphs.jpg

And the runs accumulates to a result for the given year (all runs I did 2013 on all planets):
Code:
2013 TOTAL 

SUM ped gain (incl mu) – costs = 1359,83
AVG % gain (incl mu) = 104,87
AVG % gain (excl mu)= 89,93
AVG % gain without amps (incl mu) = 103,47
AVG % gain without amps (excl mu) = 89,66
AVG % gain with amps (incl mu) = 107,66
AVG % gain with amps (excl mu) = 90,45

Total tt earned = 22457
Total tt+mu earned = 26283
Total cost probes = 15330
Total drops = 10220
N runs = 105
N runs without amps = 70
N runs with amps = 35

Gives a good overview I think.

The rest isn't hard to do in a spreadsheet. If you keep a list of ores and update the MU you'd expect to sell at in auction currently, you should be pretty close unless you have a resource that fluctuates a lot in a matter of days.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking, I was just hoping for a more automated method. It doesn't look like peauction.com has been updated in 5 or 6 years, so I can't scrape the data from there.

I tend to only track markup gained, this is after a sale.

This is obviously the only true value; but, I've watched quite a few mining logs from other players now, some higher-end players. They are including a MU value after each run, even though I know they aren't selling after each run. I used to not understand the purpose, but now I think I get it. I will be holding ores until I run out of PEDs, which may take me quite a few runs. Even if it's speculative, knowing the MU from each run is helpful to know if that was a good location or not.

I didn't plan to play a bookkeeping game but I ended up logging a lot.
I really wanted to see in the long run the truth behind the 90% returns.

Yea, that's quite a lot of data! Congrats on a positive year!

Thi is my 1st post on PCF so grate to me :)

I'd say you only need to check money spend on probes, which ores you mine, there TTvalue and MU. I think the easiest way is to mutiply the TTvalue by the mark up, I'd check the prices AVE for the month on entropia. Shame there isn't any good sites anymore :(

Hope this hopes

Back