Suggested:

EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB

• Base Clock: 1176 MHz
  • Boost Clock: 1255 MHz
  • Memory Clock: 5400 MHz Effective
  • CUDA Cores: 640
  • 2048MB GDDR5 128bit Memory

Price: 40 - 50

Thanks Bone's seems like a good option to add to the list, the only real defining difference is the 2 GB memory and 600 less Cuda Cores.

If it gives the performance I need for $40 dollars then im getting off really lucky! A sitting at any Steak or Seafood restaurant cost the same :laugh:

750 / 750 Ti are definitely enough for EU - I know few people who run EU and they are happy
As well as comparing stats compare power drained by 680 vs 750 ;)

Since you plan to use a low budget card I will show you the one I put in my sons budget gamer I just finished building.

GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

It seems to be a nice little workhorse for all his games , I haven't run Entropia on it yet , but seeing how well it runs his games I think it would work quite well.

This runs EU just fine, even at Very High surprisingly.

It's the one I'm currently testing for the rig I'm about to build my grandson :)

It all comes down to how much you wish to spend.

Most middle-"bottom"high end cards run EU as is today and most current games quite well (high definition with acceptable FPS).

Personally, and in general, I take only two things in consideration when buying a Graphics Cards:
- Price;
- Performance.

These 2 points, in my opinion are more than enough for most people, specially gamers. Also, with only these two points it'seasier to use this GPU Benchmatk/price comparison site.

The point is, max performance with least moneys (EU should have provided experience in that :laugh:).

Both of you are the most epic relatives ever,

One built there son a computer with a dang nice graphics card,
Since you plan to use a low budget card I will show you the one I put in my sons budget gamer I just finished building.

GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

The other is building a rig for there grandson
This runs EU just fine, even at Very High surprisingly.

It's the one I'm currently testing for the rig I'm about to build my grandson :)

Both of you are up to date and building dream rig for any family member.

Meh... wish my family would have be as cool! :eyecrazy:

I got a 750 ti 2gb in my current PC and its a good card i would recommend. I don't really play a lot of current top end games though so i cant really speak to that but in Entropia, Arma 2 and 3 it is a great option if you ask me considering the price.

My advice beyond that would be to just stuff as much Vram as you possible can onto the card you eventually decide on for your full upgrade (i would wait for Pascal personally) and if have your mind set on doing any rendering / Animation or 3D work in the future i would stick to Intel(for procc) / Nvidia(for gfx) as it is has way more support on the industry side of things.

Good luck with your PC building!
- Jonas

I have a 750 ti. Very solid card. I had a 560 before and it is a small bit faster, but much more overclockable and much much cooler. A huge difference in power consumption and heat.

I just bought MSI R9 380 Gaming / 4gb GDDR5 ram for $ 240. 1790 shaders, 950 mhz gpu (turbo mode = 1000 mhz) / 256 bit bus / PCI Express bus 3

nvidia 750 only have 1024 shaders. (more shaders make the card faster)

I run this card with a Intel xeon E3 1231 CPU.

Now if i run EU in highest settings, i get about 80 fps.

The reason , why i dont buy Nvidia is the price they cost. For same money you get way more power with AMD stuff. and no..., i dont get any problems with AMD.. using AMD since 10 years.

Last edited:
IF you were only looking for GPU to run EU, there really is no difference in GTX660 and GTX970, both of these run EU as "great" as possible.
I know you are not looking for card only to run EU with and as for 4k gaming, you need bigger card than GTX970 for sure.

I have GTX 970Strix OC atm and it runs EU as bad as my 660 did, everything else runs nicely as long as i stay on 1080p.

Last edited:
I would do,

Titan X - Dual SLI
GTX 980 Ti -3x SLI
R9 Fury X - Dual SLI

** Examples, im considering all graphics cards atm

Also needs to be capable of smooth 4k game play.

I will only buy one but considering upgrade ability.

If Kull said he'd want 4k gameplay makes no sense to sugest 970 and such
I had 650ti, upgraded to 970 which suits my needs at 1080p and prolly even if i wana push for 1440p on some games.

GTX980 Ti is where the power is at for the cash on the range you look i believe (SLI obviously)

Thats what im seeing also that the 980ti is the best card on the market for the money.

It would be lighting money on fire to buy its predecessor the Titan-X or Titan-Z.

The only thing thats got me worried is the Memory difference, 6GB of memory difference is gigantuan if you think about it.

It makes me worry a lot about buying anything under 12GB, the rate at which tech is moving and how a Titan X might be selling for 300 dollars next year. Because they might release games that require 8 - 12GB with there new 4K dedicated implementation to the games.

Watched a few videos of guys with just 1 Titan X running 4k on a 34 inch 144hz monitor and he was dipping down in the 40's FPS,

For my current rig ill go for a really good budget card, but my new build I had planned for spring when theres likely to be a new bigger badder Curved Monitor and new Graphics Card Release, then auctions will be full of people replacing there *OLD TITIAN's* and Predator 34x.

Still I dont know enough yet to be sure of anyhting. Thats where im going with things. New rig needs to be ready by fall, when SC goes Beta.

Nvidea all the way.

Brought an AMD card a few year ago, which in all honesty, was great, in other games, but in EU I suffered flickering grass, and it drove me nuts, even tried various drivers.

I have a GTX690 (dual card on 1 board, so sli)which is getting pretty old now, run max settings at 1920*1200 and get anywhere from 40-60fps depending where I am in game. V-sync on as always for me, to cap it to 60fps.

NVidia for sure best value for money

4k is going to be much more mainstream over the next couple of years. I'd expect this next cycle of cideo cards to better embrace it with more memory. I would hold off until the new cards come out... should be summer I believe.

And I wouldnt bet on SC beta this fall. Fully expect that to be delayed again.

With all of your help I have nailed down and bought another graphics card!

vCdYTru.jpg

EVGA GeForce GTX770 SuperClocked with EVGA ACX Cooler, 2GB GDDR5

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SuperClocked-Graphics-02G-P4-2774-KR/dp/B00CZIQXBA

Price: $117.00 Card + $12.00 Shipping Handling.

• Base Clock: 1111 MHz
  • Boost Clock: 1163 MHz
  • Memory Clock: 7010 MHz Effective
  • CUDA Cores: 1536
  • 2048MB GDDR5 256bit Memory

Arrives Saturday

It is just a little better then the GTX 680 Classified that died. With the exception it has 2GB less. Since this rig will take a back seat position in the near future this seems to be a good trade off.

My only dislike and concern is its *Super Clocked*, I have never tested or used a factory overclocked chip, ive always stayed away this will make for a new learning experiance.

Thanks again to all who helped and supplied me with real world info!

With all of your help I have nailed down and bought another graphics card!

vCdYTru.jpg

EVGA GeForce GTX770 SuperClocked with EVGA ACX Cooler, 2GB GDDR5

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SuperClocked-Graphics-02G-P4-2774-KR/dp/B00CZIQXBA

Price: $117.00 Card + $12.00 Shipping Handling.

• Base Clock: 1111 MHz
  • Boost Clock: 1163 MHz
  • Memory Clock: 7010 MHz Effective
  • CUDA Cores: 1536
  • 2048MB GDDR5 256bit Memory

Arrives Saturday

It is just a little better then the GTX 680 Classified that died. With the exception it has 2GB less. Since this rig will take a back seat position in the near future this seems to be a good trade off.

My only dislike and concern is its *Super Clocked*, I have never tested or used a factory overclocked chip, ive always stayed away this will make for a new learning experiance.

Thanks again to all who helped and supplied me with real world info!

EVGA's superclocked versions are pretty good so dont worry there. Their supersuperclocked are the top cards for gamers in the market. Only concern for you would be a rather low memory u got. But as it is just a replacement especially at such a low price i think you have made a right choice :)
GL with the new card and let us know how it works for u once installed!

So what is the outcome with the card you bought?

I had plans to post here but never got around to do that.
I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler.
It worked great with my 22" monitor at 1680x1050, I was running Entropia on Very High and where happy.
Then I upgraded to a 27" monitor with 2560x1440 resolution and now the fps is not so comfortable at Very High.

I'll live with it for now, if I want I run on Very High if I feel like it and when I feel like getting some extra fps I'll just adjust the settings...

I do wonder what card I'd need if I'd ever get around to looking for an upgrade suitable for 1440p and fps above 60.

So what is the outcome with the card you bought?

I had plans to post here but never got around to do that.
I have a EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler.
It worked great with my 22" monitor at 1680x1050, I was running Entropia on Very High and where happy.
Then I upgraded to a 27" monitor with 2560x1440 resolution and now the fps is not so comfortable at Very High.

I'll live with it for now, if I want I run on Very High if I feel like it and when I feel like getting some extra fps I'll just adjust the settings...

I do wonder what card I'd need if I'd ever get around to looking for an upgrade suitable for 1440p and fps above 60.

Going higher resolutions than normal HD you really need to pay attention to card having some Ram, A good suggestion is Nvidia 970/980 or above. if you want max settings

Going higher resolutions than normal HD you really need to pay attention to card having some Ram, A good suggestion is Nvidia 970/980 or above. if you want max settings

You mention RAM but not giving us a number ;)
My card has 4GB, will check when I think about it how the settings influence RAM usage (low vs very high, low vs high res).

You mention RAM but not giving us a number ;)
My card has 4GB, will check when I think about it how the settings influence RAM usage (low vs very high, low vs high res).

Yea 4 gb's are most likely optimal. seems to be standard on new released cards too

Hey Knightley,

Ive currently got the graphics card posted above in and running. All Specs are maxed,
Anti-alias - 16Q
Very High
1980 - 1080p
FPS 60 high - 30 low

(Please note that any lag spikes or choppy areas in video or due to OBS buffering, this is not seen in actual game play. Could be due to wait itme for memory dumbs within the graphics card hence the limitations of 2GB memory)

Heres how the game runs all of that plus OBS and a few other task going in the background
[url]https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?282204-PVP-Videos!&p=3456325#post3456325[/URL]

The video quality is serverly deminished due to its renedered in 720p, which is 6,500 kbs. In future for short action only videos it will be 1080p, which is 15,000 kbs.

Note: For the resolution your running you will need a good bit more power and memory.

Recommended:

For smooth game play and to help combat EU's huge FPS drops you will need somthing in the range of GTX 980 +​

For Best possible graphics:

980 GTX 6GB or better

For Best possible FPS at lower cost:

Radeon R9 380X 8GB or better

Radeon is kinda ahead of Nvidia in terms of GB's atm, for what you want to go 6GB + is a must.

Both of the recommended cards are overkill for what your doing but over engineering is key to any build, computer or car or any design.

Important:
It doesnt have to be either of these cards but it needs to be the equivalent or better and MUST have 6GB of better or you could run into some unforeseen issues, especially if you browser Internet or use other apps such as OBS to stream or record while running EU.

Last edited:
If you say that 6GB is a minimum then I'd have to get a 980 Ti. I could only find 980 with max 4GB.
And that puts me in a price range which I'm not prepared to enter right now.

Same thing with Radeon, 8GB can only be found on the R9-390 cards.
That was quite much cheaper but I've never really been convinced to go down that route :D

Anyway, before I even start to consider a new card I'll have to do some memory usage benchmarking!
I do wonder how feasible it would be to sell my current card...

6 Gb of VRAM will come in handy in future, but for now my gtx980 feels fine with its 4 Gb, running three displays at 2560x1440. With EU on all max + 1080p movie, used VRAM stays well below 3 Gb mark.

6 Gb of VRAM will come in handy in future, but for now my gtx980 feels fine with its 4 Gb, running three displays at 2560x1440. With EU on all max + 1080p movie, used VRAM stays well below 3 Gb mark.

Wow thats great to heard that the 980 4GB pulls that off.

What about when encoding video as you play the game, i.e. streaming. To combat the buffer and compress video on the fly things might get hairy. But I dont have a 980 so it might work well. Not sure is Knightly is after such but im basing my opinion on this matter taking most modern games and streaming into account.

Maybe you could run a small test, it would answer alot of questions on people mind if we could get FPS output while streaming.

Wow thats great to heard that the 980 4GB pulls that off.

What about when encoding video as you play the game, i.e. streaming. To combat the buffer and compress video on the fly things might get hairy. But I dont have a 980 so it might work well. Not sure is Knightly is after such but im basing my opinion on this matter taking most modern games and streaming into account.

Maybe you could run a small test, it would answer alot of questions on people mind if we could get FPS output while streaming.

Nobody would stream in 1440p. Instead you downscale to 720 or 1080.
980 will handle that with no problem.

Keep in mind that 1440->720p might make some elements of screen blurred, especially text.
But then again EU's UI is so shitty (non scalable) that text is hard to read on 1440 monitor anyway ;)

It's actually even better than I thought:

A - 500mb VRAM used, nothing heavy is running
B - 1300mb, launched EU in 1920x1200 window, 100 fps
C - 1500mb, started 1080p movie on 2nd screen
D - 1600mb, started streaming with OBS - fps dropped to 75
E - 1700mb, opened the stream fullscreen in Firefox on 3rd screen
F - 2000mb, switched EU to fullscreen 2560x1440, 50 fps
G - 2100mb, started recording EU video locally, 40 fps

It seems that most of those processes eat more RAM than VRAM.

With normal playing at 2560x1400, starting streaming drops fps from 80 to 60.

:eyecrazy: Thanks Svarog im blown away!

That answers everything and then some.... just wow great work
Going to use this data for sure

(Storm) - your very correct, thats what I was hinting, it takes a good bit of power to downscale a huge image like that and render it to a really good quality depending on how well your computer can handle this task. Better graphics at smaller resolutions and better rendering is super taxing on your system.

Back