Are durability enhancers worth it?

syntax

Guardian
syntax error
I recall seeing a post once about weapon eco enhancers and how they are generally ineffective and in most cases end up costing you more due to the MU involved.

What about durability enhancers for armor (particularly limited armor)? In general is the decay you save greater than the cost of enhancers? I guess it depends somewhat on the armor and its MU?

Well since your skills are not static but adjust to the mob your hunting (been like that for a long time now), I don't subscribe to improving on defence, if the system sets your ava to what it wants you to be.

In other words there's this cap thing going on.

The only thing that really matters, is that you're not over protected, as 1.0 hits in my opinion don't help your ava pop globs. Call it one of those dynamic issues.

So wear your amour with plates if needed, and go with that. If you really want to push it add a defensive ring. Although you get adjusted for that as well if you stick to the same mob.

One day you have evade one day you don't. Does it really matter.

Rick

Well since your skills are not static but adjust to the mob your hunting (been like that for a long time now), I don't subscribe to improving on defence, if the system sets your ava to what it wants you to be.

In other words there's this cap thing going on.

The only thing that really matters, is that you're not over protected, as 1.0 hits in my opinion don't help your ava pop globs. Call it one of those dynamic issues.

I definitely understand the overprotection bit, but the dynamic skills thing is a new one on me. Would you care to elaborate, or is there a thread somewhere about that?

Yes, it helps a lot, especially with limited armor with a protection comparable or greater then gremlin armor.

I wouldn't advice using it on pixie.

They definitly worth it.

I am using them on boar L here, and armor last long :yup:

From a 13100 durability tier 0, i got even one piece at 22270 tier 7 :ahh:

Need to find armor pieces with tiers more than 1000, so a bit tricky..

:twocents:

I use durability enhancers on my initiate armor because it has low TT, and gets damaged quick. And I notice it very much :)

As everything they are situational.

I believe this is how the Urban Legends are born. Here u can witness the actual birth process. Seems painful! :laugh:

I think I know where's the origin of this new myth. It seems the engine sometimes lags behind with the data it receives from the client. As a result after switching mob spawn, the 1st mob sometimes seems to have the stats of the previous spawn.
With strong emphasis on the word seems.
Have noticed the same effect on 2 different game engines, but due to it's temp nature it's pretty much impossible to prove. Could be nothing more than series of unrelated coincidences.

Last edited:
I believe this is how the Urban Legends are born. Here u can witness the actual birth process. Seems painful! :laugh:

not an urban legend...

I can go to the same spawn in the exact same fully repaired gear one day and they hit me for average of 6 on a 2k ped hunt, and the next day, it is average of 18 on a 2k ped hunt and they hit me twice as often.

Loot, skill gains, hit rates, and mob crits are also extremely different but I will let you figure out how they are all associated.

It is common knowledge to most that mobs have different "moods" and these differences cause a drastic change in defensive decay.

And therefore, your skills applied to any particular mob are NOT static at different times.

Last edited:
not an urban legend...

I can go to the same spawn in the exact same gear one day and they hit me for average of 6 on a 2k ped hunt, and the next day, it is average of 18 on a 2k ped hunt.

Loot, skill gains, and mob crits are also extremely different but I will let you figure out how they are all associated.

It is common knowledge to most that mobs have different "moods" and these difference cause a drastic change in defensive decay.
I don't believe this. I have hunted the same mob at the same exact location for weeks.
There's a log, you can look at it yourself. The defense cost is almost constant, not 3 times higher one hunt and then 3 times smaller the next time.

What causes difference is what I do when i get swarmed with 10+ mobs - will I fight through it or remove armor and let it go. Even then, the difference is still hardly noticeable...

All that said, if u have a log, hard data that proves your point, I would definitely change my opinion. So far, I have never seen such a data, so I'm inclined to be skeptical.

Edit: Yes mobs have "moods". This is indeed a common knowledge. It's usually referred as waves: a passive/low dmg, high dmg and the crit wave. However, those waves are relatively short, and even out in the big picture. The law of large numbers.

Last edited:
I don't believe this. I have hunted the same mob at the same exact location for weeks.
There's a log, you can look at it yourself. The defense cost is almost constant, not 3 times higher one hunt and then 3 times smaller the next time.

What causes difference is what I do when i get swarmed with 10+ mobs - will I fight through it or remove armor and let it go. Even then, the difference is still hardly noticeable...

All that said, if u have a log, hard data that proves your point, I would definitely change my opinion. So far, I have never seen such a data, so I'm inclined to be skeptical.

Small mobs don't do it as often. But big ones, particularly on other planets, do. If I am killing stuff below my level, I never notice large shifts in mobs damage and hit rate....but if the mobs level is higher than my L55 evade, then I do for sure. I am sure some mobs are balanced tighter too...as are players loot swings sometimes. My loot is balanced very volatile...maybe my skills are too.

Small mobs don't do it as often. But big ones, particularly on other planets, do. If I am killing stuff below my level, I never notice large shifts in mobs damage and hit rate....but if the mobs level is higher than my L55 evade, then I do for sure. I am sure some mobs are balanced tighter too...as are players loot swings sometimes. My loot is balanced very volatile...maybe my skills are too.
It seems logical that there's a difference if u hunt something above your evader lvl, below your evader lvl and twice below your evader lvl (= max possible hit reduction).
The question is, what will the long time statistical data show you. I often subjectively perceive all kind of interesting stuff (humans are pattern-seeking animals by our very nature). When I look at the statistical data afterwards, however, then I often see a completely different picture. In short, I've learned a valuable lesson in EU, never trust your subjective perceptions (however overwhelming they might seem!), unless it's backed up by objective statistical evidence.

OK, suppose the data will prove there's significant difference in mob's damage. Even then, it's still quite stretch from this observation to the assumption it's all caused by some mythological dynamic skillsystem-thingie, dontcha think? ;)

It seems logical that there's a difference if u hunt something above your evader lvl, below your evader lvl and twice below your evader lvl (= max possible hit reduction).
The question is, what will the long time statistical data show you. I often subjectively perceive all kind of interesting stuff (humans are pattern-seeking animals by our very nature). When I look at the statistical data afterwards, however, then I often see a completely different picture. In short, I've learned a valuable lesson in EU, never trust your subjective perceptions (however overwhelming they might seem!), unless it's backed up by objective statistical evidence.

OK, suppose the data will prove there's significant difference in mob's damage. Even then, it's still quite stretch from this observation to the assumption it's all caused by some mythological dynamic skillsystem-thingie, dontcha think? ;)

Well, geniuses like me don't need logs...my brain is a log :D And if I had a nice clear log I wouldn't share it because then everyone will be able to figure out what parameters allow for the loosest loot and I don't have time/fell like editing out all the loot data just to make someone believe me. If I did have a log. Which I don't. So nvm...there is NO correlation between how little my skills are affecting a mob, and what loot I get. NONE!

I don't believe this. .

ok I can prove it, but first I need to clarify the rules are acceptable otherwise I'm wasting my time.

I've been skilling my pets for a good week without touching any hunting at all. My ava is now set to max skill and defence.

I will go and tame one dragon and record the hits with screen shot off the first dragon (I can't do films), and I post that.

I will then tame for 30 mins, or at least wait for a crit, then my ava abilities will change.

This crit is the key, as the system will measure that crit from that particular mob, and re-evaluate my defensive skills. I will then be set to a winning run or losing run while on that mob.

Once I get the crit, I will take another measure of the damage received screen shot only.

Then a 3rd screen shot after a period of time that the new stats are definitely taking effect.

Is that fair?, or will someone say I was selective with screen shots or other excuse? I'll only bother if my screen shots are accepted, because it means depositing (and I'd rather not right now). I wont wear any armour or rings so there can be no confusion.

Please let me know your own rules to the above, so it's exactly clear.

Cheers

Rick

ok I can prove it, but first I need to clarify the rules are acceptable otherwise I'm wasting my time.

I've been skilling my pets for a good week without touching any hunting at all. My ava is now set to max skill and defence.

I will go and tame one dragon and record the hits with screen shot off the first dragon (I can't do films), and I post that.

I will then tame for 30 mins, or at least wait for a crit, then my ava abilities will change.

This crit is the key, as the system will measure that crit from that particular mob, and re-evaluate my defensive skills. I will then be set to a winning run or losing run while on that mob.

Once I get the crit, I will take another measure of the damage received screen shot only.

Then a 3rd screen shot after a period of time that the new stats are definitely taking effect.

Is that fair?, or will someone say I was selective with screen shots or other excuse? I'll only bother if my screen shots are accepted, because it means depositing (and I'd rather not right now). I wont wear any armour or rings so there can be no confusion.

Please let me know your own rules to the above, so it's exactly clear.

Cheers

Rick
No no no. Absolutely not acceptable.
Forget screens, show me the log.

Now, let's suppose the log proves beyond doubt that always (98-99 out of 100) after a crit the mob starts hitting more. This would prove the theory, I suppose.

I would also admit this is a very interesting find.
I would NOT be convinced it's related to the skill system. Maybe, maybe not. Too many other and also very plausible explanations.
I'm not sure if this find would change anything on the macro scale, either. It's not like we would use a different armor or change armor after a crit, right?
Suppose your damage goes up and down, but... well, we already knew that dmg goes up and down. It's dynamic, like everything else in EU.

I recall seeing a post once about weapon eco enhancers and how they are generally ineffective and in most cases end up costing you more due to the MU involved.

What about durability enhancers for armor (particularly limited armor)? In general is the decay you save greater than the cost of enhancers? I guess it depends somewhat on the armor and its MU?

I use Durability enhancers on all my (L) armor, all the time, increases the armor life and I don't have to replace as often. That's what I believe their for.

Back