Make combat more interesting (Wish List)

Magyar_Republic

Self-requested Deactivation
Society
Whiskey Confederacy
Edward Magyar Republic
Folks can feel free to append their own items to this if they think its a decent idea.

I'd like to see different skills unlock at different professional levels that can actually be used in the course of combat. The skill would need to be mapped to a hotkey, be on a timer to avoid spam, and it could be trained up to 3 tiers by sacrificing the further open slots to improve the efficacy of the skill.

This would give more value to accrued skill levels, and allow for deeper character customization. It would also make combat more fun.

Example:

Available Sword Skills

Level 10 - Taunt - Increases target mob aggression towards the user.
Level 20 - Hamstring - Slows target mob movement rate for a set amount of time.
Level 35 - Kick - Adds the ability to do a kick attack equal in damage to strength/10 (max) in melee while engaged in combat vs mob or player. Any kick used will decay armor and/or clothing worn, and cannot be used if there is not sufficient PED available on these items to cover damage done.
Level 45 - Intimidate - Slows target mob attack rate for a set amount of time.
Level 60 - Cut - Adds a bleed effect equal to a percent of weapon damage to the target mob or player for a specified amount of time.
Level 80 - Parry - Block the next successful mob or player attack
Level 100 - Whirlwind - Attack multiple targets within weapon range simultaneously.
Level 120 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.
Level 140 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.
Level 160 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.
Level 180 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.
Level 200 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.

As you can probably see, some skills have PvP application and some have PvE only application. Again this allows for customization. Without enough skill points to train all the skills, a player would need to be selective as to their build, to maximize the benefit according to their playstyle.

Cooler, more desirable combat effects are only attained with higher skill levels, thus keeping the value of skills high.

Each tree is separate, so if a person unlocks a point in Rifle it cannot be spent on Knife.

Other things worth considering: Smaller weapons (like knives or pistols) might unlock a dual wield feature. Knives might unlock a backstab feature. Rifles might unlock a sniper type feature.

I feel that the investment in these skill effects would be worth it overall to MA, seeing as the amount of PED locked up in the skills in order to attain damage output enhancing effects is rather impressive.

Thoughts?

The big problem with skills is that like those you list, the loot system have to take in to consideration the impact on player eco achievable. Small buffs to eco on uber skilled and eco avatars could be enough to tip them in to almost constant profit, since you can't "down adjust" all loot for all players to compensate for those whom got some skills that is of higher level.

This might not be formulated properly. But I hope you get the point

You really need to stop drinking thinner before coming up with ideas like this :wise:

More and more more eco buffs are introduced, and MA simply just adjust loot to compensate it.

Interesting notions above, but I dont see them actually being real. More of a paranoid delusion that MA is constantly adjusting loot down. I'm currently at 102% average hunting returns, TT value, for all of 2016. It's not much, but given my normal returns over the last few years have been about that as long as I'm consistent... well... what's that folks like to tell other players who complain about cost? I'll be nice and say "Hunt more eco" even though I dont really pay attention to that stuff and never have.

I use some of those eco buffs now, but nothing extreme. I'm teaching 4 people in my community how to play, too, and on the low end they dont have any complaints.

Who is being affected by these changes? Old, established players? Are you sure its not just failure to keep up with the times? I've read complaints about changes stretching back to 2005. Some people figure out a niche, dont want to change their routine, and hold the rest of us back. To constantly cater to those who are the most resistant to change is not a recipe for success in a product that strives to be cutting edge. It's a recipe for a slow death of a product due to competitors making the changes they are too conservative to embrace.

Last edited:
Another thing to implement, which could have real application in PvP, would be a roll command. Double tap any control key to quickly roll in that direction. Any combat profession could use it. Unlock it early. It costs nothing, since it doesnt check against any skills, and can only result in a net gain for MA as ammo is spent on a missed shot.

(a) needs a lot of work before implementation and
(b) let's not turn this into wow ok?

I am pretty confident that loot adjust either universal or independent for each avatar according to what kind of returns are archievable through buffs. Why? because why would they decrease their income?

Its small adjustments. maybe not noticable. But for someone who can't afford even small buffs its a negative direction. and you have a good return and also you admit to using buffs in some way or another.

Either buffs and skills would just turn in to a illusion of improved eco (loot adjust down anyway for each individ according to buffs/skills. or they are more of a neccesary to maintain pre-buff / skills returns...

Interesting notions above, but I dont see them actually being real. More of a paranoid delusion that MA is constantly adjusting loot down. I'm currently at 102% average hunting returns, TT value, for all of 2016. It's not much, but given my normal returns over the last few years have been about that as long as I'm consistent... well... what's that folks like to tell other players who complain about cost? I'll be nice and say "Hunt more eco" even though I dont really pay attention to that stuff and never have.

I use some of those eco buffs now, but nothing extreme. I'm teaching 4 people in my community how to play, too, and on the low end they dont have any complaints.

Who is being affected by these changes? Old, established players? Are you sure its not just failure to keep up with the times? I've read complaints about changes stretching back to 2005. Some people figure out a niche, dont want to change their routine, and hold the rest of us back. To constantly cater to those who are the most resistant to change is not a recipe for success in a product that strives to be cutting edge. It's a recipe for a slow death of a product due to competitors making the changes they are too conservative to embrace.

The sad thing about eco buffs is that if enough people use it loot will be adjusted so you get forced to use it aswell or left bleeding out your ped card. This buffs do not increase our loot longterm but make us spend more money for the same loot we had before this buffs was introduced. I dont want Eu to become some generic mmo clone , thats why i dont like the idea of buffs proposed by OP.

For more interesting pve and pvp id suggest iron sight mode and features like kneeling and crouching, this does nothing to eco but help with immersion. Maybe planet calypso could even try to make camo fashion/armor that live up to this name for different types of terrain on calypso. Making at least ground vehicle guns viable to hunt pve would also help with the immersion. Nightviev googles, signal pistols, tac flashlights on guns, flares , smokes with different colors. That all would help with immersion.

(a) needs a lot of work before implementation and
(b) let's not turn this into wow ok?

Why not add some more common features to MMO's. I assume that's what you're saying. I'm not familiar with WOW's functionality. I generally played other games, like Darkfall, Asheron's Call, Shadowbane, and Age of Conan. Games that had a heavy PvP element but also had a PvE element. These games used features similar to this.

The end game is to add some crowd appeal to EU. Crowd appeal = more money.

I've been told by enough people, including one of the friends of mine who I'm teaching this game right now, that combat is boring. This person told me they probably would not play this product very long because of that. It's too bad if he doesnt. He's an avid MMO fan and is intrigued by the prospect of a real cash economy.

MA will have lost a customer due to inferior game mechanics.

All the twitch users can probably account their low viewership to boring gameplay. EU is horrendously boring to watch. Even I cant stand it. Unless I'm playing, and crunching my own numbers trying to work out how best to balance my loss to gain, there is really no appeal.

That has to change. It has to, or the product will eventually die of attrition.

This system rewards player loyalty and player activity with skills. The skills get better as player loyalty becomes more established.

Seems to me a way to keep players putting cash in the system. As it stands right now you really dont need to after level 20. You can group hunt your way to success on almost any mob in the game.

Last edited:
I've been told by enough people, including one of the friends of mine who I'm teaching this game right now, that combat is boring. This person told me they probably would not play this product very long because of that. It's too bad if he doesnt. He's an avid MMO fan and is intrigued by the prospect of a real cash economy.

MA will have lost a customer due to inferior game mechanics.

All the twitch users can probably account their low viewership to boring gameplay. EU is horrendously boring to watch. Even I cant stand it. Unless I'm playing, and crunching my own numbers trying to work out how best to balance my loss to gain, there is really no appeal.

That has to change. It has to, or the product will eventually die of attrition.
My 1st reaction was "Please don't make it WoW" as well. I have always believed that here's too much WoW-ish influence** in here already.

BUT

U sold it to me. Have to admit, you definitely have a valid point there. Looks like the change is inevitable, EU will have to incorporate more features from the generic MMO's. There's game mechanics out there that are nowadays considered a standard. We can't ignore them forever and hope to be taken seriously.

I personally would vote against this shit, mind you, but if I'm thinking about the bigger picture, I have to agree with you...

Folks can feel free to append their own items to this if they think its a decent idea.

I'd like to see different skills unlock at different professional levels that can actually be used in the course of combat. The skill would need to be mapped to a hotkey, be on a timer to avoid spam, and it could be trained up to 3 tiers by sacrificing the further open slots to improve the efficacy of the skill.

This would give more value to accrued skill levels, and allow for deeper character customization. It would also make combat more fun.

Example:

Available Sword Skills

Level 10 - Taunt - Increases target mob aggression towards the user.
Level 20 - Hamstring - Slows target mob movement rate for a set amount of time.
Level 35 - Kick - Adds the ability to do a kick attack equal in damage to strength/10 (max) in melee while engaged in combat vs mob or player. Any kick used will decay armor and/or clothing worn, and cannot be used if there is not sufficient PED available on these items to cover damage done.
Level 45 - Intimidate - Slows target mob attack rate for a set amount of time.
Level 60 - Cut - Adds a bleed effect equal to a percent of weapon damage to the target mob or player for a specified amount of time.
Level 80 - Parry - Block the next successful mob or player attack
Level 100 - Whirlwind - Attack multiple targets within weapon range simultaneously.
Level 120 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.
Level 140 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.
Level 160 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.
Level 180 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.
Level 200 - New skill select from any previous or train existing.

As you can probably see, some skills have PvP application and some have PvE only application. Again this allows for customization. Without enough skill points to train all the skills, a player would need to be selective as to their build, to maximize the benefit according to their playstyle.

Cooler, more desirable combat effects are only attained with higher skill levels, thus keeping the value of skills high.

Each tree is separate, so if a person unlocks a point in Rifle it cannot be spent on Knife.

Other things worth considering: Smaller weapons (like knives or pistols) might unlock a dual wield feature. Knives might unlock a backstab feature. Rifles might unlock a sniper type feature.

I feel that the investment in these skill effects would be worth it overall to MA, seeing as the amount of PED locked up in the skills in order to attain damage output enhancing effects is rather impressive.

Thoughts?

I think most of this is already covered in ComPet :)

EU is entertaining to play, but is mostly a mental game, and can be boring to watch. Trying to make it more visually and viscerally exciting would make it more attractive to new players, and I think that's worth a lot.

One of the easiest ways to add some of the excitement that other games market as their primary draw would be to add a new batch of items (with flashy effects) that use a second cooldown bar. One of the things that defines EU is that you absolutely cannot perform any item action until the cooldown from your last action finishes. And the action that you are doing is usually the most economical one, so you keep doing it over and over.

But suppose that in addition to your pistol you had a grenade launcher equipped that did boosted damage--or a knife, or a chip--with a cooldown of 10 seconds, but on its own cooldown bar. So you shoot shoot shoot grenade shoot shoot heal heal shoot grenade shoot shoot shoot grenade finisher. That's visually more exciting than what we have now, and closer to some other games. Of course, you can do that now, but each action waits on the cooldown of the item before it, and slows down the visual flow. Or suppose you're doing melee with a sword, and you have a chip attached that every ten seconds can speed your attack so that you make five attacks instead of one, with a blur visual effect and a dynamic sound effect. Or adds a fire effect to the sword.

The items shouldn't be too hard to balance, and the first ones could drop during an event like TEN, or SGA. Or the special mats and bps for them could drop.

I'm currently at 102% average hunting returns, TT value, for all of 2016.

You have 2500 ped in loot in that time period, I can do 1 hunt with the equivalent return value and if I get a hof I can have 400% TT return or if it goes bad 60%. That's why hunt size is important to measure returns, we cant go kill 5 mobs and judge returns.

Am fine with adding something like you suggested, if done right (which is unlikely), just so long as I am not stuck with today's MMO fights of jumping, dodging, etc out of AE rings or actions. I have enough other games with those mechanics. The thing I like about EU is I can target a mob, hit auto use, and tab out and read the news if I want. A nice relaxing fight, not edge of my seat 'omg, I need to move' crap

You have 2500 ped in loot in that time period, I can do 1 hunt with the equivalent return value and if I get a hof I can have 400% TT return or if it goes bad 60%. That's why hunt size is important to measure returns, we cant go kill 5 mobs and judge returns.
I hunt in groups, primarily. I'm training and teaching 4 new people. Tracker stats don't measure that.

Back