PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Daughter of Anarchy
    Society
    Freelancer

How true to their word Monria owners are...

Disclaimer:

1. Despite being quite a bit emotionally involved, in this thread, I tried to keep myself out of any personal comments and just state the facts; if you want to read the full article (where I didn't removed the subjective parts), you can do it so here.

2. Please be noted that before posting this thread I asked permission from forum moderators and I was granted said permission.

It all started with this announcement (or print screen version of it, in case something happens with the original post) of a contest for most wiki contributions in a given time interval. From the very moment I saw it, I knew that’s just the kind of contest that would suit me; it’s not only that I always loved contributing to wikis (having spent a few hundred hours on Wikipedia alone for example), but also the fact that the winning criteria (number of contributions) really suited someone like me (a perfectionist, OCD person, who pays attention to details and is good on spotting and fixing various small issues).

So, without any further hesitation, I start working – gathered all info I could from other sources (like entropedia, entropiaplanets, forums, etc), start comparing them against already existing info in Monria’s wiki, then update any missing/lost info, while at the same time try to get some consistency against various wiki sections (starting from having same sections in all similar pages to using the same color palette on all pages). Now, to be honest, I would have tried to contribute to the wiki anyway (just like I posted quite a lot on forums where there was no reward), even without a contest, just because I like to try to help and get involved in community projects, but I would have done it at a relaxed pace, not sacrificing my game time for it.

I created whole wiki sections from scratch, I had pages where I added a lot of content (and here are a few such examples), and I also had small contributions, where I only did some minor, but never useless, corrections (like adding a new ore / enmatter drop location). I won’t deny it, I may have slightly inflated my contributions count (as in if I would have three different updates to a page, I would have done them one by one, not all three in a single go), but each and every edit made sense of its own and improved the wiki (and since the software keeps revisions of each single edit, there’s no need for anyone to trust my word, but they can see for themselves what all of my contributions were about).

And everything was going just fine… I was dedicating about one hour every day to this activity and I was well in the lead (93 contributions for me, 31 contributions for the guy on the second place and pretty much that was the whole top, since the other people only made occasional posts, none of them breaking in the two digits range of contributions). But (coincidentally or not) right after an argument that I had via PMs with (one of) the officials, because she deleted a whole section of wiki that I created, the very next day they decided to change the rules of the contest as in number of contributions was no longer the official criteria, but a totally subjective judgement of their own; you can see said posts that changed the rules mid-contest here (or print screen version of it, in case something happens with the original post) as well as instituting a full-fledged censorship over all wiki contributions, where no new content went live without it being manually revised and approved by a censor/moderator first.

I found this moderation policy totally against the very core principle of a wiki (which is defined as "a website or database developed collaboratively by a community of users, allowing any user to add and edit content") and the action of changing the contest rules in the middle of the game (especially when there were only two people involved in the contest and one was in lead by a large margin) totally unfair so I withdrawn from the contest, since by now it was already obvious to me that they want to give the prize to the other guy, so keep going forward would have meant only loosing more of my time fighting a lost battle. Now I don’t comment if the new rules are better or worse than the old ones, but I just think that they should have thought (better) before the contest, not change them in the middle of it, when people were already competing by said rules; that was completely unprofessional and unethical to do.

Just as I found it completely unprofessional and unethical than when I followed their own suggestion to complain if we have have any problem with the rule changes (quoting: “Given that I know all the contributors I am sure there will be no problems with this but if there is let me know”) and I did that (quite politely I would say, considering the situation), instead of some explanations or apologies, I was basically shown the finger (quoting: “One of the advantages of being a player is that I get to say things like this, if you don’t like what we’re doing or how we’re doing it just move along. No big deal.”) and got the thread locked so I can’t replay further more and defend my point of view.

Later edit: Just as I expected, they awarded the prize to the other guy (or print screen version of it, in case something happens with the original post), without even mentioning the many contributions that I made to their wiki. The fun fact though is that after winning the prize, the guy stopped making any contributions to the wiki, as you can see from here (last contribution being on February 14th) or from here (where I'm still clearly leading the top contributors list, even after one month after my last contribution).

P.S.: At the time of posting this artcile, I said that "if there will be any reaction to the problem I raised here (changing the rules in the middle of the event, in retaliation to an argument we had in private), it will not address this issue, but just represent a typical ad-hominem (fallacious) attack that people usually do when they want to distract attention from the topic at hand?"... Curious if I was right and what was the level of the discussion they started? Feel free to check it out here and see for yourself if I was right nor not.
    Last edited by DoA; 03-04-2016 at 23:35. Reason: added "later edit"
    If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do, keep moving forward.

Stalker
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Thaddeus Rusty Venture
    Society
    Venture Industries
    Images
    When Akoz founded monria, I pitched the idea to form the Monria Advisor team and was one of the founding members. I worked hard to make monria a great place for over 2 years and was the reason everyone knows about the daily mission there. I am one of the huge reasons it even had a basic economy after the first year. Due to running the most visited shop on Monria right next to the daily npc. Then when these new owners come they decide they don't like me on a personal level and kick me from the team and ban me from their forums.

They are power hungry and even more moderated then this forum. Everything there is edited or deleted to only give a false impression that they are good or nice. They have a society with enough people that they can all pretend it's great enough to trick others.

Please do not delete this post if it breaks any rules but edit it. Thank you.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Kent OZtwo OpaloMan
    Society
    Vikings Of Entropia
    Images
    I think that is probably for the best as the only reason I've had to waste my time moderating (not censoring as everything has been approved) is that you were editing content with blank spaces to increase your count. I hadn't expected this to be honest which is why I changed the rules and I am quite annoyed by it. In the future I won't run these kinds of events that are open to abuse but instead will merely gift the people that are helping me in good spirit.

I also think it is extremely unfair to call out Balam who has been contributing content to the wiki in good spirit and I really appreciate his efforts.

One of the advantages of being a player is that I get to say things like this, if you don't like what we're doing or how we're doing it just move along. No big deal.
    Lets put the full story out here why the rules were changed. Please don't do this again. I know you are a better person than this. This kind of puts you in a bad light again.

Items for sale in storage can be found here: OpaloMan's Junk​

Stalker
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Thaddeus Rusty Venture
    Society
    Venture Industries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OZtwo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lets put the full story out here why the rules were changed. Please don't do this again. I know you are a better person than this. This kind of puts you in a bad light again.
    The rules were changed because she was making too many contributions and others were not. They could have done the same. The rules were set and she was following them and winning. She did put that full story out, don't do what again? What are you getting at?

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Daughter of Anarchy
    Society
    Freelancer
    Quote Originally Posted by OZtwo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I linked that very reply from my original post myself.

Problem is that replay is FALSE. As I said, wiki software keeps track of all contributions, so all my (and everyone's else) contributions could (and still can) be checked (by everyone) - there isn't a single empty one that didn't added anything to the content; if there is even a single one, I challenge anyone (especially the people that made the accusation in the first place) to point exactly to that one like say "you contribution from 02/05/2016, 21:24 on the page Cultists contained just empty spaces to inflate your counter", but I assure you there is nothing like that. Is funny how always people like to make accusations (and other people like to believe them) but they are all generic... why not point out the exact case (if it exists).

As I said, I made big contributions, I made small contributions, I made cosmetic only contributions - but each and every one of them added something (more or less) to the wiki. I may have not respected the "spirit of the contest" (or at least the spirit they wanted to give to the contest), but for sure I respected the "letter of the contest", and, at least "legally" that's all I had to do.
    Last edited by DoA; 02-08-2016 at 16:30.
    If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do, keep moving forward.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Harmony Bella Simpson
    Society
    Rangers
    Images
    They could have handled it better, and the same goes for yourself.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Dave Ace Flyster
    Society
    Rangers
    Images
    I have nothing to contribute here, other than......i am bored at work!

Rgds

Ace
    My published novel: 'The Eyes of the Devil'
    Book 1 "The Shadow Grounds" first draft - 100%, first edit - 100%, second edit - 0%
    Neverleave - 5% first draft
    Meeting of worlds - 5% first draft

Prowler
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    I dont know much about MOria and dont really carebe honest. SomeThing I have noticed about your posts DOA and other young people today on social media and forums. Is that you always mention your OCD.

D.O.B. 17 Feb 2011 City of dreams
    First ROCKtropian to have a component blueprint and component named after avatar
    http://www.entropedia.info/Info.aspx...terial&id=1886
    Owner of Crunk Stall #1 Ores and Enmatters (cocktails)
    The Daddy of ROCKtropia

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Maria Mesh
    Society
    tAS->Entropia Asia Cadets->Entropia Asia->Zoku->NBK->NBK Entrepreneur->Kaos->the Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images
    in before the deletion or closed thread...

Yes, they could have done a better job... but at the same time, what did you expect going in to a contest like that?

Elite
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just delete/remove all the updates you did, and move on and don't look back if it has offended you so much. Not sure of whole story, but is down to how you feel about it really.

I've popped into monria a few times but not really spent enough time to comment on the situation. However in EU bad attitudes tend to lead to players avoiding/abandoning LA's, planets etc etc, i just hope the new owners of Monria are thinking long term.

Oh one last thing, if you leave the wiki stuff you did there, then a thankyou from me at least for the work you put in.
    Last edited by Norbert; 02-08-2016 at 17:22.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast