oculus rift

any more threads you want to open up? :D

any more threads you want to open up? :D

There's nothing wrong with having more discussion about these topics, provided there's some facts included and some conception of what has already been discussed.
Otherwise it just keeps going around and around over old ground.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with having more discussion about these topics, provided there's some facts included and some conception of what has already been discussed.
Otherwise it just keeps going around and around over old ground.

Technology will only keep going. As progress progresses we will see furture updates also :)

I have been researching this myself as they are about to release the non development version. From what I have read there are a few things to note.

1. You need a decent PC in particular you need a very good graphics card as the image needs to be rendered 3 times.
2. You need to download a program called Deskope (or similar to configure the rift)
3. You will not be able to see the keyboard and will need to use a controller to control the avatar. This worried me a bit as the number of buttons on the controller is limited
4. This industry is on the verge of exploding and there are already a number of alternatives to the Rift with other crowd funded products just around the corner.

I was originally going to purchase the domestic version of the rift when it is launched, end of this month irrc. I live abroad and play EU on an ASUS ROG. While fine for everyday playing of EU the graphics card is not powerful enough to support the Rift and I cannot justify building a $2k machine (min requirements) to run it.

If anyone has any further information, please post as there is limited info available at this time.

Screw the Rift.

When are they going to support the Holodeck.

Personally I'm still not sure there is that much demand for it. It looks good but I just get the feeling it will end up like 3D TV or a very niche market with developers not willing to spend the time and cash to get their stuff working on all the different version.

As for controller, wouldn't the standard xbox or playstation pad work just as well.

Personally I'm still not sure there is that much demand for it. It looks good but I just get the feeling it will end up like 3D TV or a very niche market with developers not willing to spend the time and cash to get their stuff working on all the different version.

As for controller, wouldn't the standard xbox or playstation pad work just as well.

Yes xbox controller works thought its not supported directly in the client. I use pinnacle game profiler to map buttons ect and get it to work with Entropia, and it works pretty damn nice.

Why would not being able to see the keyboard be an issue? Same as playing with a monitor at the moment right, you just touch-type the controls?

New Oculus game: Boorum in heat :D

Why would not being able to see the keyboard be an issue? Same as playing with a monitor at the moment right, you just touch-type the controls?

I was thinking about this as well. I think you are right, it won't be an issue. As you say we hardly look at the keys at all most of the time.

I think in the future we might be able to interact with a lot of things using hand gestures as well. So for example we go up to the TT and activate it by swiping our hand in the air :).

There have been a few nice TED talks on these headsets in the last few weeks and it seems very promising indeed :)

Back