Space - State of the Universe - an overview and outlook of past and future

LOL wont be long now for the big space update.

Free interplanetary TP's wont even feature, ridiculous idea

It's the next surprise :) just wait. There isn't a sane option that doesn't include free teleporters.

When the transport missions come in it's going to be a whole different ball game. I hope it's enough to put EU on the map as one of the greater space games. After all, we are a universe! Would be a bit stupid without space! ;)

When the transport missions come in it's going to be a whole different ball game. I hope it's enough to put EU on the map as one of the greater space games. After all, we are a universe! Would be a bit stupid without space! ;)

With all due respect for your optimism, do you play any genuine space games? The mechanics offered by this platform are a crutch. This won't ever become a space game without doing something fundamentally different. I would name examples if it wasn't verboten. Look at some successful ones and their development history with an eye on budget...

With all due respect for your optimism, do you play any genuine space games? The mechanics offered by this platform are a crutch. This won't ever become a space game without doing something fundamentally different. I would name examples if it wasn't verboten. Look at some successful ones and their development history with an eye on budget...

Hence the caveat "on the map" and "greater" as opposed to bestestest! ;) certainly there are a few big ones which Eu tails far behind, but I do think Eu has something a bit different to offer in some regard.

About time they lived up to the promises.

Pls add - Ernest Bilko Sgt to the list.

Roll on June...

6 Years of Space Alpha, years of unfullfilled promises - and we are still waiting with no word from mindark regarding space... - im a patient man but honestly this is getting rediculous :rolleyes:

Add me to the list.

Shit or get off the pot MA...

LOL wont be long now for the big space update.

Free interplanetary TP's wont even feature, ridiculous idea

Not free but reasonably for say 50ped or something that goes to the mission pool. I dont really thing the future of space, if they want to make space useful, is transport services.

Not free but reasonably for say 50ped or something that goes to the mission pool. I dont really thing the future of space, if they want to make space useful, is transport services.

50ped isn't reasonable other than for old timers. We don't really suffer much as it is anyways. How much does the 40ped VIP warp cutting into your budget when you turnover 30000ped in a weekend.

Three thoughts. One sarc, one meh, and one honestly.

1. What, six years? But... but... you got Compet! And Batsim! And...

2. Why does the biggest out of the tiny number of people who actually make real money from the status quo complain about it? You might be bored out of your mind, but could do this another six years profitably, or sixteen, or forever. Any real changes will rather endanger your position. Be more afraid of what they might do than of what they don't.

3. Free tp is perfectly reasonable to me. MA thought they needed an artificial abyss between the planets to motivate them to stand on their own feet rather than feeding off Calypso signups, I understand that. I don't think it works. From what I've heard about the revenue sharing system, it already benefits them substantially to do their own recruiting. The rest is nothing but sand in the gearbox. The current setup is hated with a passion. And if Space isn't a place where people want to go for its own content, then it need as well not exist.

I have an idea. Whom do I need to talk to to get past the usual support boilerplate?

IF MA dont implement SOON a "real space" then EU is DEAD GAME...

All new games is hybrids with the best which is Star Citizen...SO WHEN SC GETS ONLINE...RIP EU (EVEN WITH TELEPORTS..THATS THE GRAVESTONE OF EU...)!!!

Faceof is Dynamic...:(
Faceof...:cool:

All new games is hybrids with the best which is Star Citizen...SO WHEN SC GETS ONLINE...RIP EU (EVEN WITH TELEPORTS..THATS THE GRAVESTONE OF EU...)!!!

PE/EU didn't have space originally, so to say the game will die without it is not entirely true. They do need to update space or those who live and thrive with it will definitely suffer, get discouraged and leave.

Didn't they say that about NMS?

Space is not a vital component of entropia. Its payload is in the single digits. It is more of an impediment than beneficial at the moment. That doesnt mean it cant be made better or implemented to attract a bigger audience. But that all requires major development time and they just dug their heels into this new loot overhaul.

Any news about Space update soon end 2017 and we got noting again :tongue2:

MA doesn't really know what to do and frankly doesn't really care.

High auction costs to transport stackables and low auction costs to transport items have killed off what remains of the planet partners. Caly is back on top of everything, doing something to space might upset that balance.

Any news about Space update soon end 2017 and we got noting again :tongue2:

Current focus seems to be improve and balance loot algorithms while providing more decay opportunities for pp to be paid.

2017:
MindArk also plans to address many of the existing issues affecting interplanetary Space gameplay, specifically ship balance and travel. Once those important balance issues are resolved, we look forward to implemented new and previously planned features, such as galactic transport.
Originally Posted Here

Another year has passed and again we havent seen the promises for space fullfilled (or even touched/attempted) - lets see the 2018 state of the universe and if it gets mentioned at all.

An increasingly frustrated mothership owner who is waiting since 2011 for the promised mothership features that were sold to me in summer 2011 (shields, torpedos,heavy weapons,etc.) and have still not been delivered along with all the other made promises...

Sadly I have to admit you are right John, and that was the reason why I sold my MS years ago.

I was really beliving in a strong investment in space development from MA but seems like as lot of promises this is another one MA left falling on the floor, another opportunity to extend interest in this game to space related players went lost.

The strange part of Mindarks ignorance regarding space development is that litterally the way they run development for planets alot of their ressources go into graphics and redoing graphics or dealing with lag issues etc. all these issues are practically non existant for space - space hunters are practically happy to play in a black box with a few sparkles (stars) from afar - as long as there is something to do.
Space is literally huge - yet mindark so far has not bothered to actually put some serious mob spawns into it, or a Hussk-like mob on some asteroid for that matter - adjusting the densitiy of a spawn in a black box would take a developer probably less then 5minutes - yet we havent seen those 5 minutes spent during the last 6 years.
Instead more and more existing features get graduatly turned off without ever being addressed again.
The gunner profession for privateer/mothership gun turrets stopped working in november 2014, in december 2014 mindark said in support case they would investigate and up to this day nothing has come out of it.
Can any planetside hunter imagine how it would be getting the benefits of your main hunting profession switched off and not hearing back or seeing it fixed for over 3 years ?

Dear Mindark, 7 years of unfullfilled promises - its time to get started - a single developer assigned to space would litterally change the world - noone expects space to be perfect after one update - but we do hope to see workprogress.

Instead of getting the 2011 promised content we got dense space mob spawns taken away when space was rescaled (maybe no developer realized the indirect consequences of a rescale).
Instead of getting the 2012 promised content we got lots of stuck in space players that year and while the desynchronization issues got minimized the underlying design issue never got fixed (you need an emergency revive location on the same server that the players are !).
Instead of getting the 2013 promised content we lost warp graphics and all inship screens turned black during warp up to this day.
In 2014 we didnt get any promises and no followup on previous ones but our gunner profession got disabled and no longer has any impact on damage or accuracy when using ship gun turrets - it never got fixed.
Instead of 2015 promised content spaceship crew quarter interior got messed up and to this day has not entirely been fixed also all players got charged auction transport fees which are supposedly collected for transport missions - none of which got ever introduced/payed out.
Instead of 2016 promised content we got less warp flight accuracy (more warps end up in the wrong places and the point marking the warp exit point started vanishing alot more and more quickly) and its lasting on.
Instead of 2017 promised content we now also lost certain locations that we can no longer directly warp to.
And in 2018 so far we have received a new bug that leads to a stuck gun turret if you enter to quickly forcing you to exit and retry before you can attemp to defend your ship.
---------------
At some point if would be great getting the promised upgrades and fixes instead of downgrades and bugs that never get fixed...

PS: There have been alot more 'downgrades'/bugs that never got fixed over the last 6-7years then the ones i mentioned, but i will safe some for future posts ;)

DISCLAIMER: I acknowledge we also got the initial content in 2011 but parts were not delivered and have never been.

Last years state of the universe was published 18th of feb, the year before 24th of feb - we are right in the middle now - anyone wanna bet if space update will be listed for 2018 ?

And lets hold a minute of silence for developer note #10 promises which were upleading to the equus sales - the year of 2015 was one of the darkest for space as Mindark not only failed on delivering galactic transport missions but with the introduction of auction transports/transport fees and equus as new mass transport vehicle with unlimited warpdrive operating at a 20% of the cost of larger vessels (privateers/motherships) and having stackable weight reduction containers to bypass any weight restrictions they managed to kill a large chunk of existing transport bussiness without delivering the new 'alternative'.
Mindark promised one thing and delivered the exact opposite and over 3 years have passed since....in silence...

Yeah game got some developments few years ago and now seems development is on pause since 2014 at least. Still good game but need some more love

Last years state of the universe was published 18th of feb, the year before 24th of feb - we are right in the middle now - anyone wanna bet if space update will be listed for 2018 ?

And lets hold a minute of silence for developer note #10 promises which were upleading to the equus sales - the year of 2015 was one of the darkest for space as Mindark not only failed on delivering galactic transport missions but with the introduction of auction transports/transport fees and equus as new mass transport vehicle with unlimited warpdrive operating at a 20% of the cost of larger vessels (privateers/motherships) and having stackable weight reduction containers to bypass any weight restrictions they managed to kill a large chunk of existing transport bussiness without delivering the new 'alternative'.
Mindark promised one thing and delivered the exact opposite and over 3 years have passed since....in silence...

Imo, the broken loot and bugged areas as well crappy crafting killed a significantly larger chunk of existing transport bussiness than the auction fee did.
Before PDH broke (at the beginning of december) i was pretty much going weekly or every 2nd to caly via MS warp, it was cheaper than auction transportation, but now PDH is broken, i can't get that loot i used to ship to caly anymore and therefore don't got any need for MS anymore...
Same with crappy crafting which started to happen a 2-3 months ago, i used to buy some materials of caly auction and used 2 ped delivery or alternatively bought that stuff from a trader who came to RT with crafting materials via MS. The Trader-MS option was cheaper for me as a buyer ofc.

I still see MS playing a big role in playing cost efficiently, well, at least once the bugs and other issues have been sorted out.

Ninja-Edit: ofc they should add those transportation mission they've announced.

space is a difficult topic i guess :laugh:

i bet mindark dreamed about hundreds of people in space, building flying formations and organising safe transport routes, fighting pirates and any other encounter.

why didn't this happen?

well most of us are triggerhappy clickfingers, and space therefor is a waste of time. you can do almost nothing, while you still pay for fuel and maybe also ammo, and under incredible risk of maybe losing all your stackables. currently the only reason for an average joe to get into space is because he'd like to move to some other planet. for groups the incentive is also zero, if you aren't in a warp-/repair- or pirate group.

i think the transport missions would do very well, because it's an incentive for individuals to move into space nearly like the jobs neverdie promised us, and we started paying for those missions years ago.

in my humble opinion it's time to finally deliver, because a very basic mission system for spacedelivery of stupid boxes can't be that hard to implement! and it pisses me off a bit, that we see everything else developed but the things we expect, because you MA wrote so some years ago.

and at HQ they're scratching heads why (L) quads don't decay over years and only a handful peeps shoot anything in space at all. maybe burning fuel and decaying space trusters should increase some senseless skill at least? maybe your loot shouldn't be at immediate 100% risk when its markup is not worth the hassle? or maybe safeboxing at spacestations and more transport missions?

no way, i guess ... too easy :duh:

space is a difficult topic i guess :laugh:

i bet mindark dreamed about hundreds of people in space, building flying formations and organising safe transport routes, fighting pirates and any other encounter.

why didn't this happen?

well most of us are triggerhappy clickfingers, and space therefor is a waste of time. you can do almost nothing, while you still pay for fuel and maybe also ammo, and under incredible risk of maybe losing all your stackables. currently the only reason for an average joe to get into space is because he'd like to move to some other planet. for groups the incentive is also zero, if you aren't in a warp-/repair- or pirate group.

i think the transport missions would do very well, because it's an incentive for individuals to move into space nearly like the jobs neverdie promised us, and we started paying for those missions years ago.

in my humble opinion it's time to finally deliver, because a very basic mission system for spacedelivery of stupid boxes can't be that hard to implement! and it pisses me off a bit, that we see everything else developed but the things we expect, because you MA wrote so some years ago.

and at HQ they're scratching heads why (L) quads don't decay over years and only a handful peeps shoot anything in space at all. maybe burning fuel and decaying space trusters should increase some senseless skill at least? maybe your loot shouldn't be at immediate 100% risk when its markup is not worth the hassle? or maybe safeboxing at spacestations and more transport missions?

no way, i guess ... too easy :duh:

By early 2012 i had gathered pages and pages of feedback from the community and feedback it to mindark about all the flaws in space and how to fix them, everything that came thereafter were mere adjustments based on others things they were changing in the game - they have done nothing with all the feedback they received - so far.

The three biggest flaws why space didnt see a larger audience was the 'offline-transport' which gave incentive to players to 'not' play the game while moving between planets (there is no other game in the world that rewards players for not playing) and secondly the fact that no special space only loot was put ingame and third it allowed players to go empty and prey on those who carried loot (every other pvp zone has a special way of rewarding those who enter to compete) - there needs to be a way to give an incentive of shooting down players that dont carry loot , thats when a 'guard'/'protection' profession will truely grow (you cant give all the rewards to pirates and have those who protect other players pay for it with no reward).

Plenty of different ideas were provided to mindark on how to fix those issues and many more - they never addressed them.

(there is no other game in the world that rewards players for not playing)

If I remember the film 'War Games', then didn't the computer learn that the only winning move was not to play? ;)

But yes, I understand...

In a similar way I find it crazy that I am asked to waste time on some game element I do not wish to take part in that costs one tenth or whatever of what it is I actually want to do, or is even free.

A small example would be a reduction in free running speeds. If this actually makes more people go for buffs or use fuel vehicles, or mean they cannot outrun mobs and thus get caught in fights with them, then there is a potential revenue side too, I see that, but I expect most people are just held up wasting more time while running.

We also see this with people flying solo from planet to planet, who line up there sleip or quad and then autopilot for however long it will take and go afk, hoping that they are still flying and not dead when they check back later. The cost is minimal fuel use and a waste of time not hunting or whatever....

You have had and collected many great ideas for space, John. I also hope very much that it can become more active and is not considered by many people to be a 'waste of time'.

While waiting for this years state of the universe announcement please consider what space could be.
The below could be done by one experienced developer/programmer in one months time (i know i could do it given the chance and accounting a week to get comfortable with the source code):

But seriously the following things could be done by a single person in a month time easily and would do a great deal for first step space improvements:
- reactivate gunner profession and extend beneficial levelrange for gun turrets
- add dynamic mob respawn triggering the accelerated respawn of new mobs when existing mobs are killed, first in increased number, then closer proximity and lastly in higher maturity -> allowing multiple spaceships to hunt as a fleet in close proximity while providing an increasingly challenging hunting experience
- disable weight reduction effects when containers are stacked inside one another
- copy iron missions from planet to space, exchange mob names to fit space mobs, exchange rewards for space skills
- enhance pvp loot mechanic - winner loots his spent ammo back plus half of defendants ammo and decay
- copy event terminals from planet to space, rename them cargo mission terminal, add access to the accumulated cargo mission loot pool, allow mindark officials to create transport missions, allow the system to autogenerate copies of previously generated missions, allow players to generate own transport missions which they fund themselfs - revenue is generated from purchased tickets as well as part of pvp ammo spent
- copy hussk and place it on several different asteroids
- add transport storage mechanism that automatically seals lootable goods in a temporary container when entering space and autoreturns to planet of origin if the player logs out of game for longer then 2min
- double gunning range for privateers and motherships
- add sub warp drives II-V
- add critical speed for spacecrafts (ability book, can be increased/decreased by pilot) allowing them to exceed their speed limits while taking propulsion damage
- change space related loot to only drop in space (no more generic fuses from planets)
- introduce an extended line of repairtools which only work inside of spaceships (rk-30,40,60,80,100,120,140,160)
- reactivate warp flight effect on inship displays
- reactivate interior damage effects when ship is damaged
- activate radar (2d with extended range is better then nothing and good for a start)
- add high captain lvl requirement to spacecraft armor and increase armor values - allowing for a wide range of defense improvements for captain profession
Keep in mind space is in 'alpha' stage - there is really nothing up there that you can screw up in regards to balance and nothing that couldnt be corrected/tweaked by an experienced programmer in minutes if needed.
The above are not complicated matters like pinpointing lag, most of the above is copy/pasting existing stuff and making adjustments for new useage.

One developer/programmers salary for one month would easily be covered by the sale of one equus -> 25 equus have been sold and many other ships...
...please get started...

PS: Your players are your best testers and can provide fast and usefull experienced feedback if you are willing to listen.

PSS: 'Listen' does not mean saving playerfeedback in some folder or database for revision in the next decade - no you actually need to plan 'actions' based on received feedback right away and you should have atleast one developer/programmer who knows what he/she is doing working on every major game area continuously - i know from my own expenses in space hunting/traveling that there is enough 'income' generated even just in space to fund development - the main issue currently is that you use the money you earn in one game area for other features instead of reinvesting into that game area - eg space.

In a long standing tradition of annual roadmaps and state of the universe, here is the timeline of past statements:
State of the Universe 2018 - ?
State of the Universe 2017 - 16.02.2017
State of the Universe 2016 - 24.02.2016
State of the Universe 2015 - 27.02.2015
State of the Universe 2014 - 25.02.2014
State of the Universe 2013 - 20.12.2012
State of the Universe 2012 - 31.01.2012
Planet Calypso Roadmap 2010 - 05.02.2010

2018 so far is the latest of all the roadmaps that were given - lets hope we get one at all...for this years 15th anniversary...

Last edited:
State of the Universe 2018
What to expect:
3 new professions with new skills
3 new planets
1 new moon
better loot
fixing bugs
improving performance
few new cryptotokens
no space update
no plots update