Question: Taming and how to get rare pets

ProActive Mango

Stalker
im kinda baffled how poorly the design is for obtaining a rare pet is.

as it is today, there is a spawn of rare epic and so forth of the creatures.

How would it look like IF! you had a chance to get a rare epic .... pet from taming the normal mob.

Taming the mob would have say 1% or something like that to get a rare epic ... from that tamed creature, that would remove the leechers and the hardcore tamers gets what they deserve after alot of taming.

Todays taming is no fun, leechers hoovering your position to look for the rare spawn when you are trying your best to get a rare.
The motivation is dead in the water for those who really are trying.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Mac
The only fair thing how to get epic/rare pets is like RT did it ... loot some rare items and get the spawn( a key for an instance etc.) for the rare/epic creature. I think Calypso team don't care to much about it anyway ...

I like the idea of someone getting a rarer mob off a successful tame, it should pop a swirly and notification just like any other special loot.

I also like the idea of having to go through a process to get to an area where there are special mobs to do the same thing for special pets, that would help feeds the economy.

This idea of people flying around looking for a rare spawn to tame is lame. All they are doing is burning oil, where if they had to tame to get a rare loot, they would be decaying whips and getting skills and looting mobs, like they should be doing anyway.

Love the idea! Indeed, current way is lame...

This idea of people flying around looking for a rare spawn to tame is lame. All they are doing is burning oil, where if they had to tame to get a rare loot, they would be decaying whips and getting skills and looting mobs, like they should be doing anyway.

Someone still had to kill or tame a bunch of the normal ones to get the rare one to spawn.

Personally, I like it the way it is.

It was a real thrill to find my blue atrox standing in a herd of regular ones, then killing all of the others, dragging it off to a corner somewhere, going through everyone in my FL to find someone to tame it for me, and killing off the ones that spawned on us while he was taming it.

The way you guys are talking about makes it too mechanical. It removes a big part of the fun.

Someone still had to kill or tame a bunch of the normal ones to get the rare one to spawn.

It was a real thrill to find my blue atrox standing in a herd of regular ones, then killing all of the others, dragging it off to a corner somewhere, going through everyone in my FL to find someone to tame it for me, and killing off the ones that spawned on us while he was taming it.

The way you guys are talking about makes it too mechanical. It removes a big part of the fun.

That may be a bit of fun for you, who obviously doesn't do much taming. But for those who spend all day taming in the hope they might find a rare mob it's absolute bullshit when one spawns and a guy who's been hovering over your head for a couple of hours lands and grabs it.

I think the way it is now is more mechanical. Flying around on auto pilot a couple times an hour to search for the rare rabbit dragon devil. I would be all for the ops suggestion (in fact I sent a support case suggestion that was very much like that idea) they said thinks for the feedback we will forward it to the team. This was back a few weeks after the release of the beach pets. I can say that I would definitely be a better tamer now if a system like that was in place.

That may be a bit of fun for you, who obviously doesn't do much taming. But for those who spend all day taming in the hope they might find a rare mob it's absolute bullshit when one spawns and a guy who's been hovering over your head for a couple of hours lands and grabs it.

I agree.

One way is to make, randomly with a chance of say 1/1000 or after a 1000 counter, you will get the pet deed for a rare one. Another way is to spawn the rare one next to the one you just tamed; not in a different location so you won't see it, but someone just passing by or happening to know where the rare ones spawn will and will tame it Before you had a chance.

The way the other planets do it isn't ideal. Theoretically, you could do missions to kill say 10 000 pets, a rare one spawns in front of you and then a guy who had a bad meeting with his boss at work will kill the rare pet off just for the sake of it.

I should add, the more common "rare" pets on Rocktropia spawns after a while after you have killed say 200 of a mob in an area. Typically if you're hunting L7 mobs in the area, the tameable that will appear will also be L7.

I was one of the lucky ones that just found a Eudoracell just hanging out on the cliff face. Was taming myself for about a week on and off until i found it. I myself am not one of the hawks and i've actually found a nice time to tame where there is very few people out on the islands, which is nice because im not a fan of the hawks either. To be honest i dont know what way would be better, the way it is now or the way this thread suggests. Both have there pros and cons i guess. If the rate of drops would be the exact same as the way they are now but it will help out the people that actually spend time out there taming. I would be fine with the change to a percent chance of rare or better while taming rather then a spawn. Would defiantly get rid of the hawks and they might actually have to spend a couple hundred PEDs in repairs before they would get one. I'm also taking offers on my Eudoracell as well.

All of the pets you guys are talking about are the noob pets. I guess that the big problem is that there is one only one spawn area for all of those mobs, so you do tend to get the "seagulls at the landfill" effect. But, realistically, the amount of those "rare" noob pets is getting to be such that the people are nearly giving them away, anyway.

I'm not sure why it would be reasonable that only people taming mobs can find rare spawns. I mean, I can see why tamers would be whining for that, but I'm not sure why it should be implemented. You already get the same loot for taming them that hunters get for killing them, right? Plus, those of you who actually have skills can charge other people for taming the ones they find. I paid the tamer who did my atrox for me, plus I let him keep the loot he got.

I spent months and months taming devils and dragons, before out of the blue I bumped into a Royal dragon, then it was a 4 hour+ tame.

I bought all my other rare pets.

The issue now is not so much finding one and training it for months, but what actual use it has other than the passives.

MA kind of indicated pets are not coming into compet (within there 2016 address), and there could be some 'potential' cross over in future.

There's more coming to taming this year, but we don't know what that means.

If there's no activities for pets to interact with, I'll be parking my pets soon and taking a break from EU.

I'm going to compet, see if there's some fun there.

Sure looting a deed to tame a rare would be pretty cool. I don't really want vehicles banned in the taming areas either, but sure it can seem very frustrating if you're the only one out there skilling hard for taming skills, and don't get a rare.

Good luck finding a rare.

Rick

You already get the same loot for taming them that hunters get for killing them, right?

For hunting a mob of that size, I have a few maxed weapons I could use (for instance mindforce chips), that also would allow me to "tag" one of them at a time.

For taming, the whip I normally use is my Cobra Mentor Edition which was top-of-the-line last time taming was implemented; it's a non-sib whip that's not really optimal for smaller things like bunnes (it's kind of 50% chance if you kill one or not). For bigger creatures, I could use boiga(L) for large mobs (such as atrox) or garter (for finishing a taming at low HP); though I wasn't lucky enough to be among those who looted adjusted boiga repairable when they dropped (I guess dropping spree of those is long over).

I did tame a few atrox, but I got disappointed when I saw one tamed as until I looked closely at the deeds I thought it would look like a real atrox. (I also got kind of disappointed when they made "ancient" mobs way smaller). For some 2x20 minutes I went out looking for tameable hogglo, but I realized looking for a pygmy hogglo to take was something that was for dedicated hogglo lovers (who can manage guardians and up without problem); so at least there is an edge where higher level hunters have a chance to look for mobs to tame (or to call for a professional who can tame). On Rocktropia you have the sacred gorillas (purple:ish) in the area you need the king kong idol to enter; I finally got an idol and realized that the sacred gorillas you need to kill was about (or slightly tougher) than Osseocollum, so I quickly gave up that idea. So there is another area for higher level/better equipped hunters. Then there are the "Dhampyres" (the only kind of tameable vampire), which is in an area at least I think it's nearly impossible to get the materials to enter; on the other side one of those who have the token to get in there says that unless you chew daspletor stalkers for lunch you're not worthy of entering that area. (As far as I know, no dhampyres have been publicly sold).

I only hunt taming areas to skill. I dont hunt for the rares, though I have found a couple. The rest I have purchased or will purchase when the price is right.

One of the hawks (I call them vultures) got very feisty with me and I remember a screenshot war going on just because I thought his line of bullshit was so ridiculously funny.

He was smug, as if I didnt realize that he was flying overhead on a timer and that it was easy to spot when and where he was going/looking. Very arrogant.

Anyway he's a regular in this forum section. Wouldnt be surprised if he replied here. If he does, you'll know it. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Anyway, the current system is basically set up for vultures. Its rather disappointing. It 100% should require actual taming and a random element. But it does not, and that's the way of it. Oh well.

doing the instance thing would be one possible solution. Another might be to put the spawns in pvp zones so that the vehicles can go bye bye easily... or just make all vehicles able to take pvp shots outside of pvp zones? Another might be to make the taming terminals have something to do with it... load it up with so many pet essence things for a 'chance to win' a pet deed or something similar... perhaps put a slider on it similar to the crafting one, so less rare pets will get given back to you mostly, but rare if you keep trying or something. Or maybe do the instance thing and make that 'chance to win' be a key to the instance instead of to an actual pet deed, so you'll get your own instance with a few of the rares in there or something. Just don't put a timer on how long that instance takes, or make it a very long timer since some rares may take quite a while to tame.

Last edited:
Collecting rare items, using a key or whatever to a remote instance and try there your luck!
Caly Devs "Read" how RT's spawn rare mobs did it. That's the way!

I have just recently started taming but I agree the current method just doesn't sit well. I was taming bunnies over and over, keeping my eye out for a special one. I started to notice folks who would come by every hour and hover around, looking for the rare, then leave again.

This just isn't encouraging at all. It feels like one stressful/tension filled situation. If the game is based on luck anyway, then keep it that way. Why make it so those who consistently tame are constantly expecting to get the short end of the stick because they didn't hover in a ship over the spawn at the right moment? I might be crawling my way up a mountain to my next tame and just have it sniped by someone doing a flyby.

The problem with having a normal tame potentially be rare is that the rare ones should be considerably harder. That would be my reason with going for the instance solution. Much better, can still make the rarer ones harder to tame. In fact you can even make the instance a CHANCE to see a rare one?

For how long have we as a community been asking MindArk for breakeven opportunities or better. Now that there might actually be some (a step up from sweating), are we really going to complain that they should change the system to be just another roll of the roulette like (in a certain sense) everything else is? Wouldn't it be better as is, to have some luck based areas of the game, and some skill based areas? Perhaps it would be less frustrating if they just increased the rare, etc. spawn rate, which would lower each pet's value accordingly, but ultimately result in less volatility per spawn, so that losing out on one would be less of a big deal.

(I probably bring this particular suggestion to the table with a bias, as I've been hunting a single rare Kanin for like 5-10 hours without seeing a single one.)

Back