The idiocy of MA and textures

Ace Flyster

Marauder
Dave Ace Flyster
I am not a programmer so could someone please explain to me, how textures get screwed?

Not new ones, but existing?

I had in my head something like this.

new coat {texture appearance, red = 23, blue = 54 etc}

{Texture appearance, Red amount, blue amount, etc}
(
Red = blah
blue = blah
)

This would never ever screw up other textures.

I am very confused. Isnt texture just a function that is called with parameters to show?

Rgds

Ace

P.S. i reserve the right to be completely and utterly wrong.

I think it has more to do with the game design field than the coders but something conflicted.

In my days or rpg creations, Textures werent that simple. They are generally map files and then coordinates that reference thosr map files. It is easy to get them out of sequence.

No need to add to the vu day bitchfest, they'll sort it out.

Well I demand a cake then.

cake.jpg

Materials is one of those areas of game development you want to do once in a games lifetime and then just lock that door forever and drop the key down a deep deep well. But you actually have to keep going back to that system over and over to maintain it. Its very easy to break on all most all levels either on the individual instance calls, in the database or the main functions, not to mention that its heavily integrated into the inventory system which furthers this already fevered nightmare to greater levels.

If its anything like the systems i have worked on it will probably be solved in a day or two, i wouldnt worry.

Last edited:
So bottom line....not that simple.....damn!!!

Rgds

Ace

Seeing how textures are overwriting the item textures of the objects below them it would appear to be a complex issue in code and not a resource file misplacement/mispointer.

There really is no reason that texture code should be messed with after they have the system in place, except to add new ones, and remove outdated ones, as these are resources not code.

They mostly employ designers, not coders I can see this costing them both time and money to troubleshoot.

Well, Elf Cap and Holiday Hat have been affected by what seems to be the same issue for about a year, so I hope that fixing this would lead to them being fixed as well.

How many support tickets did you send in? Remember support is a bit of a democratic thing, as in if there are no tickets they won't do jack about it. If there are only a handful of tickets, they'll put it off as long as they can due to higher priority things... but if there's about a zillion and three tickets in on any given issue, from multiple avatars, that'x another issue, which might possibly be put on the middle of the lo do list, right after compets, updating the OJs, redesigning the same city and mobs that have been redesigned a few hundred times already, and a few other things not too many people have asked for but that MA is making a number one priority.

In my days or rpg creations, Textures werent that simple. They are generally map files and then coordinates that reference thosr map files. It is easy to get them out of sequence.

No need to add to the vu day bitchfest, they'll sort it out.

All engines I know still do textures on objects this way so you are correct.

I think something changed in the base object design and the map file is just out of sync with the base structure or vice versa the map file was changed and the wrong parts are displayed on the base object.

Probably the graphic for the textures are on a resource file/files that are changed and added to when new items and textures are added to the game. And sometimes something goes wrong when they add and edit the files. With so many different textures It's probably a bit hard for them to catch every texture problems before they go live. It's hard form them to have eyes on every possibly texture in game, but we know players will find them bugs pretty fast for them :silly2:

I am not a programmer so could someone please explain to me, how textures get screwed?

Not new ones, but existing?

I had in my head something like this.

new coat {texture appearance, red = 23, blue = 54 etc}

{Texture appearance, Red amount, blue amount, etc}
(
Red = blah
blue = blah
)

This would never ever screw up other textures.

I am very confused. Isnt texture just a function that is called with parameters to show?

Rgds

Ace

P.S. i reserve the right to be completely and utterly wrong.

From the mods I've seen of FO4 and Skyrim the base model has no colour just like the safe mode in EU the texture comes from a bitmap that is drawn over the surfaces. The colours can be adjusted slightly, in the games I mentioned you can add a matte or gloss finish to most things just adding a tint map on top.

Most likely a shared colour profile used on something has been adjusted and messed up others. Searching on google reveals that CE2 ignores colour profiles, so someone setting up one screen can look different on another i.e. a dev makes it look perfect on their monitor but crap for everyone else. Samsung screens have / had a history of doing weird things to colours in the Windows Photo Viewer.

Last edited:
Back