PE does not like Windows on this computer

andyzammy

Marauder
Banned
pretty hard to explain.
um well, you know how with almost all pregrams you can Ctrl+Alt+Del, you can bring the task manager to the front, do what you will with it and if you wish send it back and carry on with your original program? well, with PE, i cant do this. whenever i minimise PE, i can maximise it, but then it only shows me a blank white screen, with the ingame mouse. i then have to log out/exit the game if i want to continue playing it. tis annoying.

does anybody know whats wrong here? anybody need to know any additionals plz feel free to ask. as i dont know wtfs wrong here i cant offer any hints untill theyre asked for :S

cheers
zammy

dosent alt+tab works good :confused:

dosent alt+tab works good

nope its more or less the same thing isnt it, just puts another program on top. still has the same shitty effect Ctrl+Alt+Del has tho :(

if u press cntl alt del and then u get task manager u go to pe at first page and click right then u can choose bring pe up its called in dutch naar voorgrond brengen( bring to for groung) dont know what english pcs are named at but that works for me always maybe u gotta do that sry for bad enlgish i aint got english pc :D

if u press cntl alt del and then u get task manager u go to pe at first page and click right then u can choose bring pe up its called in dutch naar voorgrond brengen( bring to for groung) dont know what english pcs are named at but that works for me always maybe u gotta do that sry for bad enlgish i aint got english pc :D

i think i understand you. in task manager, you want me to right-click the PE.exe, and click either "bring to front" or "maximise". well, from experience they both do the same thing for me, but ive already tried this too :S

cheers for the attempts people, keep em comin :D

maybe the windows is getting old :D and too many crap on it and needs reinstall freshly :D

sounds like a lack of memory, as in you do not have enough ram...257 or 512 is bear freakin minimum. and if you have more than that i.e.1gig+ reseat it. turn off and unplug the pc, tear off the side (or daintilly unscrew it) and gently remove the sticks of ram and then put them back in ensuring that they are fully inserted. then try this again.

The lack of RAM would make it so that you cant switch b/n the program/tasks easily or sometimes at all. it'll kill the application (pe.exe or w/e) simply b/c it can't sustain it while doing something else.

if this is not it (and even if it is) i recommend going to your control panel/add-remove programs and removing any games you don't play anymore, any active desktop or screensaver things you might use, any search bars you don't use and any isp programs you dont use (if you use aol, then you dont need 5 versions of roadrunner lol)

I also recommend a disk defrag and a disk cleanup. run the defrag and i guarantee it works better, the cleanup is good for eliminating unused internet explorer files/folders.

hope that helps

actually, i did install the game when i had a 512 stick in. but since then ive had it replaced with a 1gig. ive been messing about with ram, unpluging, switching and changing for weeks, trying to get another computer set up for a mate, but im not sure if thats what you mean by it. do u recommend i have the game running while i switch it or something (doesnt sound that safe)? or did you aactually mean i take out the ram while the computers off? cos thats what ive been doin.

i do have a full HD of shit, yeah will prolly shift a few games out, cos since PE i dont play em anymore :)

i did used to defrag but since my HD got full, it wasnt ablt to do it properly, cos u need at least 15% free HD space to do it, which rite now i dont have.

cheers for the tips, will get to work on em asap

andyzammy said:
actually, i did install the game when i had a 512 stick in. but since then ive had it replaced with a 1gig.
i do have a full HD of shit, yeah will prolly shift a few games out, cos since PE i dont play em anymore :)
i did used to defrag but since my HD got full, it wasnt ablt to do it properly, cos u need at least 15% free HD space to do it, which rite now i dont have.

You are replacing your memory correctly. Make sure the system is off (even unplug it if you really want to be safe), remove the cover and change the ram. Since you have 1gig you have plenty.
If it won't allow you to defrag that is the problem. When you swap out programs by alt-tab, or ctrl-alt-dl and then task manager you are using hard disk space to write the open program to. If you don't have enough to run a defrag you don't have enough for a swap from memory either. Remove any programs you don't use and then run a defrag. You may even want to run a defrag a couple of times. That will clean it up better.

That will make it work much better. You also might consider getting an additional hard drive to put in. You could then move some things you want to keep, but not important things like Windows and PE, to it to free up more space.

Good luck

andyzammy said:

Ding-a ling!!

Think I hear an alarm bell ringing here :D

A bit of housekeeping maybe required, hopefully this will help.

most of the time i can switch to other programs. Sometime i get that white screen you describe. Like someone says its probably the memory. Every time i get that white screen i can hear my HD crunching to get back all the data it had to store. Sometimes it can recover from the white screen before 1 minute is up other times it cant.

What sort of graphics card are you using? (Latest drivers?)
And how much ram do you have? ;)

Viper81883 said:
turn off and unplug the pc, tear off the side (or daintilly unscrew it) and gently remove the sticks of ram and then put them back in ensuring that they are fully inserted. then try this again.

If the ram-sticks were just half-way in he'd probably have some sort of boot-error with loads of peeping and stuff like that. I don't think almost-inserted ram is the issue :dunce:

while 'partial" insert was a concern i also wanted to ensure that it configured correctly. if the ram was fully inserted but windows plug and play application fubar'd (which is common) reseating could have been the answer.

Back