Help: Game locks up when I swap avatar quality from safe mode to low

SoReal

Stalker
Society
Titans Of Space
As in title , ever since MA messed with the textures in the last patch and then "fixed" it all I can do to get any sort of non crashing game is put everything into safe mode .

My PC is kind of old but it was playing the game fine before MA messed about.

What happens is everytime I load game and get in , in safe mode , and then go into advanced graphics options , and change Avatar Quality from safe mode to Low , game just hangs .

Anyone have any thoughts ?

I'm in the same boat as you, ever since the patch I can only play in safe mode.

Same here as well.

This is just to signal that I have the same issue, but no workarround unfortunately. I have encountered this issue only in Minopolis so I guess it may be related to crowded areas. I managed to run away from there and I don't have the issue in other areas.

Same here :-(

32bit in safe mode with sounds or I can do 64bit with avatar textures, but then I have no sound!

Looking forward to any help for us all, and I share your pain.

Unfortunately the answer is probably to upgrade your computer.

After vu10 my old computer couldn't handle the cry engine so I got a new laptop. I could play in windows mode in medium gfx settings while I had a 2nd screen playing a dvd/netflix/iplayer.

Over time I had to cut the gfx down to low and eventually had to dump my 2nd screen and watch tv in a small window. Lately even watching certain tv players have been difficult and sometimes i've had to shut them down so I could play EU on low settings.

The things is, even with the same engine they're adding new stuff that requires more power, while at the same time your pc is getting bogged down with age.

MA obviously want as many people to play as possible but there comes a point when they have to move forward.

I recently built a system for my daughter for £200 and it can play EU happily on high settings, so you don't have to break the bank. AMD A8 with built in R7 gfx works fine for EU, you don't need massive expensive gfx cards with the cpu these days.

same here...it started after March 23 updates. Using windows 7 ultimate SP1 32-bit..
Sent a support case yesterday, but still no answer :(

Unfortunately the answer is probably to upgrade your computer.

I do wonder what kind of PC's people are using to have to use Safe mode in 2016 to be honest. In 2010 when Cryengine was introduced fair enough, lots of people didnt have the hardware. I think Safe mode is more to diagnose issues more than to play Entropia full time on "borrowed time".

You can run Entropia on Very High on a mid-range motherboard (with no graphics card) these days, I know because I've done it.

Buying a more up to date 2nd hand laptop wouldnt cost much even if on a restricted budget.

nah no need to upgrade the computer. All you need to do is format c drive and reinstall windows and than eu. Thaat's what I did and I am back in very high settings

As in title , ever since MA messed with the textures in the last patch and then "fixed" it all I can do to get any sort of non crashing game is put everything into safe mode .

At each new VU and each time you change graphic settings, the client will re-render every Icon in your inventory.

Have you tried, when in safe mode, moving to a location with few players (let's say Eos)?

Also, you can try set the texture option sliders to as low as possible.

The way I run the game is pretty much, most graphic options to "safe mode" except Avatar Quality where I have "low" (this is to keep avatars from getting White/grey). (Personally I Always have viewing distance towards the top, but it's a personal preference, you may want to try it at lowest.)

I do wonder what kind of PC's people are using to have to use Safe mode in 2016 to be honest. In 2010 when Cryengine was introduced fair enough, lots of people didnt have the hardware. I think Safe mode is more to diagnose issues more than to play Entropia full time on "borrowed time".

You can run Entropia on Very High on a mid-range motherboard (with no graphics card) these days, I know because I've done it.

Buying a more up to date 2nd hand laptop wouldnt cost much even if on a restricted budget.

Yes, to be fair my laptop is a glorified toaster which doesn't help, but I still didn't have to play in safe mode until this patch.

Here are the specs for our 2 EU computers:

Asus Desktop PC CM6870 Series
Processor Name: Intel Core i7-2600
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
System type: 64-bit
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 520

This computer will do avatar textures in 64bit EU with out sounds, or it does 32bit EU with game sounds but avatars must stay in safe mode or it freezes up - full screen and win 7 on both

Dell Optiplex 740
Processor Name: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3800+
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD2400

This computer does 64bit EU with avatar textures and sound - full screen win 7 - slow FPS but w/ no crowds playable.

In summary, our main EU computer - the first listed, used to work great with no avatar texture problems in 32bit w/ sound, but after VU and patches we have issues.

Hope a fix can be found/had for us all ;-)

And for others with this problem, if it locks up, kill it and restart EU in safe mode works (for me anyway) then you can put all advanced gfx settings back like it was - except - Don't change avatar from safe mode! I've read somewhere on here that others have found one "bugged?" piece of clothing that was causing them to freeze up, haven't had time to try this process of elimination yet....

Just a thought that came to me "out of the blue" for all you have problem with graphic adapter.
Can you try to re-install DirectX or switch to an older version of it?
If I judge from Skeezers system, it's quiet odd he can't play in higher graphics, so it might be this.
I hope....
Mixed issues with graphics problems and sound? "Sounds a bell" of bad drivers btw :)

Edit Tip: For GeForce users, try to update your drivers and then do a MS Windows update with graphic adapter included. It always works that way better.

Last edited:
To first three posters.... get a 64 bit Windows and run the 64 bit client. If your system cannot handle that, then it's time to get a new (or second hand) system.
8 GB ram,
Core i3 or better
ATI Radeon 7850 or newer for full hd or GeForce GT x60 or higher, where x is preferably a 5 or higher.
Ssd is also nice.

change Avatar Quality from safe mode to Low , game just hangs .
It's clearly a problem with a certain texture used on avatar. In safe mode no textures are used.
Most likely this corrupted texture is on your own avatar, if so the solution is easy. Find out which piece of clothing causes it.

Some ppl say they have problems near other avatars, means the "offensive" piece of clothing is on somebody else.
This leaves 2 possibilities, the person wearing this texture always plays in safe mode or if not then on his computer this texture is not bugged (which is much more likely).
If so, again 2 possibilities: the file containing textures on your computer was somehow corrupted, or there's a very specific problem with only certain types of video cards while trying to process specific textures (which is not impossible, but not very likely).

To first three posters.... get a 64 bit Windows and run the 64 bit client. If your system cannot handle that, then it's time to get a new (or second hand) system.
8 GB ram,
Core i3 or better
ATI Radeon 7850 or newer for full hd or GeForce GT x60 or higher, where x is preferably a 5 or higher.
Ssd is also nice.

Thanks Spawn, will give that a go and if not start saving :)

Here are the specs for our 2 EU computers:

Asus Desktop PC CM6870 Series
Processor Name: Intel Core i7-2600
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 520

This computer will do avatar textures in 64bit EU with out sounds, or it does 32bit EU with game sounds but avatars must stay in safe mode or it freezes up - full screen and win 7 on both

When u said u ran in 32bit I assumed you had old comp. Did u have the problem with the sound prior to this vu?

same here...it started after March 23 updates. Using windows 7 ultimate SP1 32-bit..
Sent a support case yesterday, but still no answer :(

got a reply from support today, it will be fixed :yay::

"We are currently aware of this issue, in the process of fixing the Texture bug another issue seems to have appeared.

Please run your game in Safe mode, or attempt to set your Avatar Quality to Safe mode in the Settings under advanced.

We do understand that this is a major inconvenience and has effect on your gameplay and for that we humbly apologies but rest assured a patch will be released shortly.

Take care and best of luck in the meanwhile"

When u said u ran in 32bit I assumed you had old comp. Did u have the problem with the sound prior to this vu?

yes, on the good computer i have never been able to run 64bit EU w/ sound... could never figure out why

yes, on the good computer i have never been able to run 64bit EU w/ sound... could never figure out why

I have the same problem, no sound in 64 bit mode.

I didn't notice until recently, because in the early Days of VU10 it was said that having sound on could be something that made the game CTD, so it was first when it was an event with streaming sound I realized sound didn't work in 64 bit mode but it worked in 32-bit mode.

Same problems here too , I went in Fort Ithaca and it crashed , couldn't close the game even with ctr+alt+del , had to restart the pc and yeah got the same reply like most of us who made a support

After the latest update, I can take Avatar Quality off of Safe mode! :yay: Very High again!

32 bit w/ sound... no time to check out 64bit issue yet, but at least I'm not alone with that problem - sorry aia, but thanks for the company ;-)

entropia_2016-03-30_22-14-04-89.gif

Last edited:
Skeezer you're still a fashion icon, good to hear you're back in High Definition. :pic:

I've still got those 8 Beer Kegs next time you're on Calypso btw.

(Empty)

After the latest update, I can take Avatar Quality off of Safe mode! :yay: Very High again!

32 bit w/ sound... no time to check out 64bit issue yet, but at least I'm not alone with that problem - sorry aia, but thanks for the company ;-)

entropia_2016-03-30_22-14-04-89.gif

Been 3 years that we met first time, remember thinking "this crazy guy, is going to show me the zombie spawn? or kill and loot me in this PvP zone?" :laugh:
Still you look awesome! Glad you manage to fix your system!

"TO THE CLUB,BABIEEEEE" :laugh:

Baaah! I just tp:ed to Fort Pandorra. It didnt load and now I can't get in again. Doesnt help with safe mode and getting a x64 windows version is a no go due to other software.

Anyone got any other solutions?

Game is back to normal after the recent update.

Am able to play without being on safe mode.

Back