Is using your sleip considered an exploit?

ZPF

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
Zelos 'Playboy' Fargen
So there I was, trying to reach my claim marker while surrounded by primordial longu. I summoned it, and at that exact moment, a longu spawned on me.

I hopped in my sleip, flew a few yards back and analyzed the situation. If I tried to fight it head on, I would lose. According to Entropedia, these things do high damage, but their health pools are small.

So I flew to the max range of my gun, unloaded about 10 shots into it, and as it was approaching me, hopped back in, rinse and repeat until it was dead.

Am I gonna get banned? :(

This seems like a ridiculously easy way to hunt, and since regeneration is returned to you in loot, there is not really a downside other than some minor oil costs.

:scratch2:

sorry to say but it's considered cheating

U wont get banned, excessive use is bannable (aka vtol hunting). Killing 1-2 mobs on claim is nothing

Reactions: ZPF
Ah so that's what "VTOL hunting" is.

I always thought it meant attaching a weapon to your sleip and shooting things with it :laugh:

Thanks for the info!

I pretty much just mine. Normally if I'm in this situation, I just draw the mob away by flying away just inside its range, have it run up to me again, and hop back in just before it can hit. Rinse and repeat until it's far enough away from your claim. It's basically no different than a mob train, and a method that wouldn't cause any issues.

I've only had one instance where I had a situation similar to yours where the mobs were just too dense to get it far enough away to get to my claim. I expect MA doesn't care about extremely rare instances when this happens with miners and would instead focus on people that are actually exploiting this to actively hunt.

next time, perhaps try 'summon claim' ?

zpf said:
So there I was, trying to reach my claim marker while surrounded by primordial longu. I summoned it, and at that exact moment, a longu spawned on me.

they did. and these days you cant summon more than once

These days, you can summon claims only once. (Been that way for more than two years, I believe)

As the others have said, next time, perhaps try reading. :silly2:

As for this, yes, it's an exploit. You can get zero armor/fap decay regardless of the mob doing this. There's an obvious problem there.

Next time, if you wanna be "less exploitative" try this:

• Fly to max weapon range
  • shoot it once (without amp/etc)
  • wait until it reaches you then jump into sleip
  • head back to claim
  • land on other side and mine it up

Yes, it's still technically an exploit, but you do lose the shot and ~1 pec oil, so you feel almost ok. :laugh:

Back