Finder Search Range correlating with claim size?

Me Really Never

Stalker
Banned
Hey i was just recently wondering, if the finder range (not depth) has something to do with claim size. I started wondering about this when i saw that my md40 finders range is just 53,5m aand the f105 has 55m. and the item info states that it finds higher concentrated ores more easily due to its short range. that would also fit to the lower finder range and bigger claims on indoor mining. so maybe it doesnt work like an amped finder but has more to do with the lower search field.
like indoor is around 2,5 times smaller radius than outdoor resulting in a roughly 7,8 times smaller searched area (2,5 * 3,141). if the usual ore hit would be 2 ped outdoor then it would result in 15,7 indoor (not counting tax in atm). That would also mean that range enhancers do increae the chance of findings but would also decrease their size.
well, that were my recent thoughts about this... i just wonder if anyone had the idea / did tests to prove / disprove it.

p.s. i guess testing this would work best around atlantis archipelago as there is only oil and lyst... bigger value per stones like zinc or similar would make testing it hard due to rounding errors

I think that is matter is how deep you finder can search. So you can hit rare ores.
Most of the time I can't reach the maximum range of the finder. Rate of reaching 80-90% radius is something like 1/8 or more.
I dont think the range matter in quantity, only in cost per run, because you need more drops.
I'm interested to read some comments from experienced miners also.

Well since the finder range is more than halved in indoor mining, I'm a bit perturbed at all the VIs I'm finding at FOMA.

well the usual claim i find outdoor on ore is around 2.5 ped approx and a VI is around 5-7 ped so 2.5 * 2.5 =6,25 so that would fit perfectly

well the usual claim i find outdoor on ore is around 2.5 ped approx and a VI is around 5-7 ped so 2.5 * 2.5 =6,25 so that would fit perfectly

the key term in his post is 'more than halved'

answer is.......
indoor mining ... has less range.... but doesn't get effected if you put range enhancers...

indoor mining is like 3% hit rate usually

guess why i calculated it x 2,5 and not x2? cos its MORE than halved...

Well, your hit rate is far more than halved. But hey, finding Xs and XIs with a level 8 amp on FOMA is all good right? And I'm talking ores here.

well i didnt talk about hit rate here. i did talk about claim size and finder range. when you want to know the hit rate change then you need to calc it like this: a 3,3 hitrate with 55m range in comparison to x hitrate at 22m range: (3,3 / (55²x3,141)= x / (22²*3,141) -> x=0,55 so your planetsite hitrate of 3,3 is compared to a 0,55 hitrate indoor.

IMO the answer to the question in OP is no.

Lower range does not = bigger claims. The description of your finder is a little strange though.

IMO lower range will just mean worse hit rate and worse TT returns. There is no reason to think that searching a smaller radius will magically alter claim size. Claim size is a function of decay. That function changes only when mining indoors.

A bit outdated, but you will probably find some answers here :)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...nder-range-affects-HR-and-size-of-claim/page3

Good luck!

Congrats on finding a small clue left over on how the system actually works.

Yes lower range ..the 53.5 in your case will amplify the claims found by a slight degree.
Indoors ofc is amped by a larger degree, and is of course limited in range to a larger degree as well.

This entire system is designed by modifying numbers based on decay and other factors like this in mining.

So its a linear deal, the smaller the range, the more amplified the find. You will need however, to probe that much closer between drops for full coverage though, and need more bombs to probe the same area as normal slightly to cover the same area effectively.

These were the old finders btw, which they removed for similar reasons they created eco.

It was too much risk for the company to allow these kinds of stacked amping across the board..

Last edited:
Congrats on finding a small clue left over on how the system actually works.

Yes lower range ..the 53.5 in your case will amplify the claims found by a slight degree.

This entire system is designed by modifying numbers based on decay and other factors like this in mining.

So its a linear deal, the smaller the range, the more amplified the find.

Interesting, is there any evidence / logs to support this before I go out and buy a lower range finder? :wtg:

well in hunting there is not only decay+ ammo in the loot as well. as falagor allready found out that health regen for example is partly refunded in the loot of the mob as well. so there are more factors than only decay + ammo / probes. and it would make sense to be related as it would be easily programmable. thats no hard data though but i tend to think that i find a lot more tiny claims (II) with my f105 rather than with my md40. the range difference is 1.5m. with f105 the tinys are mostly around 90-99 pec so that would fit to the theory. just my observation though. hard to see through my data on lbml in case of what finder finds what. im trying to set my runs in a way now so i may figure it out more

I suppose it makes sense, otherwise the lower ranged finders would be rendered completely obsolete. Still I would like to see some data before I accept this as fact

Over the long term TT returns are probably the same either way I would imagine.

But doesn't this beg the question - Do range enhancers decrease your claim size? If so, they are a horrible horrible investment :scratch2:

I suppose it makes sense, otherwise the lower ranged finders would be rendered completely obsolete. Still I would like to see some data before I accept this as fact

Over the long term TT returns are probably the same either way I would imagine.

But doesn't this beg the question - Do range enhancers decrease your claim size? If so, they are a horrible horrible investment :scratch2:

I feel like 98% of the time enhancers are a horrible horrible investment.

IMO the answer to the question in OP is no.

Lower range does not = bigger claims. The description of your finder is a little strange though.

IMO lower range will just mean worse hit rate and worse TT returns. There is no reason to think that searching a smaller radius will magically alter claim size. Claim size is a function of decay. That function changes only when mining indoors.

A bit outdated, but you will probably find some answers here :)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...nder-range-affects-HR-and-size-of-claim/page3

Good luck!

I am going to go with ZPF, his logic seems correct and is what I have come to accept as well.

well the thread you posted doesnt give the right answer though imo. they say it cant be that range correlates with size because they think that the ore is allready in the ground... but that wouldnt make much sense. it will be generated right on probe dropping. their reason to think otherwise is that only the first person to mine in a spot will find the claim but programmerwise that is not really an explanation. it will be most likely like this: probe dropped -> system checks timer -> when timer =0 then timer start -> randomize found stuff, otherwise NRF
this is ofc just an easy explanation but i dont want to go into detail how this would be programmable.

well the thread you posted doesnt give the right answer though imo. they say it cant be that range correlates with size because they think that the ore is allready in the ground... but that wouldnt make much sense. it will be generated right on probe dropping. their reason to think otherwise is that only the first person to mine in a spot will find the claim but programmerwise that is not really an explanation. it will be most likely like this: probe dropped -> system checks timer -> when timer =0 then timer start -> randomize found stuff, otherwise NRF
this is ofc just an easy explanation but i dont want to go into detail how this would be programmable.

If I recall correctly, extensive testing once showed this to be true, the ore was spawned in the ground, and miners came and 'found' it competitively. More than one miner could consistently find the same deposit.

For some time now this does not appear to be true. IF this change actually occurred, there is the possibility that finder range can impact claim size.

Being EU, I have a suspicion that it would more likely affect search depth, but I haven't done any advanced mining or used those finders so, that's pure speculation on my part.

Back