[A small study] How do you see yourself?

DoA

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Daughter of Anarchy
Hyellow! :)

It kinda all started from a homework I got on the psychology class at school, but being somehow intrigued about the results and their interpretations, I decided to took that farther and try to ask the same questions in more mediums where I'm active and observe the results variations.

You absolutely don't have to answer to the questions if you don't feel comfortable with them, but if you do, please be as honest as possible in your answer (is OK to be subjective - remember that the question is "how do you see yourself", which may not always be equal with the "how you are" question; just please don't lie).

Also, please stay on topic, don't troll and refrain from comments about questions, about my answers or about anyone's else answers... read (only if you want), answer (again only if you want), draw your own conclusions (also only if you want) and move on. :)

The questions:
1) How kind do you think you are?
2) How fair do you think you are?
3) How honest do you think you are?

The answers should be a numeric value from -3 to +3, respecting the following scale:
-3 very unkind/unfair/dishonest
-2 mostly unkind/unfair/dishonest
-1 somehow unkind/unfair/dishonest
0 neither kind or unkind / fair or unfair / honest or dishonest (the level you perceive an average person at)
+1 somehow kind/fair/honest
+2 mostly kind/fair/honest
+3 very kind/fair/honest

Would be appreciated (although not needed) if gender and an age interval (no need for exact value) would be mentioned - like "Male, 4x" or "Female, 2x"

Thank you in advance to anyone who will answer. :)

Later edits:

1) I saw quite a few people answering with "it depends" (probably of how the other people behave, how well they know them, etc); the idea of the study (as it was described to us when we were given this assignment was) that we should think how we are naturally, with a person with whom we don't have any bound (easiest to imagine - someone unknown). So when assessing how kind/fair/honest you are, don't think how you are with your friends (or enemies), but how you are with the average Joe you meet on the street (or, in our case, in game).

2) Since some people PMed me with question about how I do try to find out with this little study, I promise that when it will be obvious that no more people will answer, I'll also post the "theory" about the note in which the answers should be read; although, obviously, one can develop other theories and draw other conclusions too. :)

Last edited:
And to break the ice, I'll post my own answers too:

1) -2 (mostly unkind)

2) +2 (mostly fair)

3) +2 (mostly honest)

Demographics: Female, 16

1) -3

2) +3

3) +3

Demographics: Hemaphrodite, 25

Interesting study... I wonder if there will be a correlation between being honest and fair and being unkind :laugh:

I'll go 0, +2, +3 for the 3 questions respectively.

+1
+3
+2

My answer for all three is: It depends :)

Hologram from the future, age unknown.

Will the results of those who answered -3 to the 3) count? :D

I believe that I'm entirely fair, but kindness and honesty totally depend on situation. I wouldn't lie for personal gain, but out of kindness to those who deserve it - certainly. So it's going to be 0/+3/0. 40, male.

We didn't have things like that in school. Maybe that's why I turned out such a sociopath.

As for the questions, there are two different sets of answers relating to before and after I get to know someone. Honesty is a tricky one, as it can turn out self-defeating. It is thereby replaced with caution when treading on unfamiliar terrain.

Before:
1) +2

2) +3

3) -1

After:
Insert the other person's answer set.

Demographics:
Male, age: too jaded to care

+2
+2
+2
female

to be honest - it depends on different things - i can be kind and unkind - i can be honest and dishonest - the question is what makes you decide one way or the other ?

actually i would say i am always fair - although those that know me may disagree

Last edited:
I don't really have much faith in self-appraisals generally. You get things like almost everyone believing they are a better than average driver.
There's also the Dunning-Kruger effect, which I guess could also be applied to characteristics assessments and not just skills estimation.
But if people are willing to give themselves negative scores, then ok. I wouldn't actually give myself a negative score on kindness, but I would on generosity. I think I'm fairly kind, but I'm not generous. There may be differences on how people perceive especially those two, so I thought I'd mention it.
The other two are pretty clear I guess :)

Reactions: DoA
I don't really have much faith in self-appraisals generally. You get things like almost everyone believing they are a better than average driver.
There's also the Dunning-Kruger effect, which I guess could also be applied to characteristics assessments and not just skills estimation.
But if people are willing to give themselves negative scores, then ok. I wouldn't actually give myself a negative score on kindness, but I would on generosity. I think I'm fairly kind, but I'm not generous. There may be differences on how people perceive especially those two, so I thought I'd mention it.
The other two are pretty clear I guess :)

All of this! I was going to post but jetsina has said it all already.

I am surprised at the number of people who do not think they are kind, even unkind. I am aware selfishness is rife in this day and age, but I would like to think people are more kind than they imagine. It's not some whimsical affiar, simply a friendly demeanour with consideration to those around you. I would be more interested in cultural differences, but not with this manner of questioning.

1) +1
2) +2
3) +3!!! absolutely

demographic: alien transgender

in thread personal answer demographic: 50% honest - 50% troll :laugh:

PS. reason of trolling it my post at the end is because I don't realy believe self evaluation have any realy value. After this, probably you need a meeting in RL.

Last edited:
please stay on topic, don't troll and refrain from comments about questions, about my answers or about anyone's else answers.

She said please.

Still, some ppl refused to participate but troll instead. And some then feel obligated to add they believe most peple are kind (which first and foremost includes the poster ofc). Ppl are the funniest kind of animals... :)

I'm bad at heeding these little details. Sorry.

1) +3

2) +3

3) +3

Male, age: 22

Good luck with your study :).

She said please.

Still, some ppl refused to participate but troll instead. And some then feel obligated to add they believe most peple are kind (which first and foremost includes the poster ofc). Ppl are the funniest kind of animals... :)

Glad to see you helping out. A troll post to complain about Trolling.. How Nice. :lolup:

Well, moving on.. :tp:

She said please.

Its a thread on a forum. None of the posts have been off topic. No one has starting chatting about anything other than the topic. No one has "created discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people" as a troll.

Calling people off topic and trolls is ludicrous. If the OP wished to dictate that people may respond*, but only in the very particular and peculiar way she saw fit, then that goes against all that a discussion forum is.

If the OP wishes to create a survey whereby there is no discussion, I suggest she tries one of the free online survey sites such as - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/.

* I read the OP's comment about not going off topic as precisely that, not that they were trying to stifle any discussion that may arise. I dont think the OP is foolish enough or would want people not to discuss the research. However that is my interpretation of the comment. The remark of not commenting on other peoples self analysis seems to be more to prevent any unkind ( how ironic) remarks made to individuals. So all in - quite the opposite as how you read it.

Anyway that's all by the by, OP good luck with your thread. I hope you get all that you are a looking for from it, and enjoy your psychological studies. It is a fascinating subject. :)

Last edited:
She said please.

A very big SORRY! for not noticing the request in the OP, which was even highlighted in purple:
Also, please stay on topic, don't troll and refrain from comments about questions, about my answers or about anyone's else answers... read (only if you want), answer (again only if you want), draw your own conclusions (also only if you want) and move on.

I thank Fifth for restating that, but you do also comment a bit yourself. I think it is most likely that people saw the thread and came back to it later, forgetting (or never having noticed) the original request, as others - including me - had made comments by then. Even in a PM with the OP I hadn't realised what DoA had asked.

In short, DoA just wants scores here and will tell us after a while what they might mean. Once again, sorry!

Truth being told, my intention were somewhere in the middle.

How I imagined (and wished to see) things going was something like that:
- people only posting answers (pretty much like in a survey)
- after enough answers were given and quite obvious that no more will come, me posting the key/legend I was given on my homework assignment (which, in turn, was taken from a scientific psychological study)
- after that everyone comment based on that, on their own opinions and so on.
(so, far now, Fifth is right, and I thank him once again for "saving" me from distress)

On the other hand, I am aware that this is happening in a off-topic section of an Internet forum, so it would be completely delusional to expect people (especially from a gaming community) to behave in a certain "dictated" way, so, as long as the comments remain general enough and not turn into "attacks" towards anyone who answered (me included), I consider that as "fair game", and far now the thread stayed within some reasonable boundaries.
(so, Alainax is also right up to a certain point)

Problem is that once the general discussion and trolling raises and the "key/legend" is released (or just hinted), the chance that someone would actually honestly answer lowers; anyway, it was just a long shot, not like I really counted my life or my grade on the reactions on the thread. :)

Back