Out-of-context "laugh out loud"

Coelacanth

Stalker
Coelacanth Coelacanth Maryka
Is it just me or does anybody else find it jarringly strange when an avatar suddenly breaks the silence by publicly laughing out loud, when typing "lol" in private chat? I realize this is such a minor thing but it always gets me when a single avatar in a crowd of mutes standing around the auction suddenly breaks out in laughter like a schizoid simpleton.

No other sound auto-plays just from typing a few characters in private chats, to my knowledge. It actually makes sense when players "lol" to conversations in the local chat, but not when someone "lols" in a private conversation, but their avatar brays laughter in public.

I'd suggest disabling the sudden, disembodied public laughing when people type "lol" in private chat windows. But that's just me. It's just frickin' weird every time it happens. :scratch2:

thats why I type "lo" if in public place :)

Haha I thought it was just me it annoyed! I also find it embarrassing if my own avatar does it! :ahh: Particularly if you are mid serious conversation with someone face to face, but you lol in soc chat or such like. What is also weird is the creepy smile the avatars do when you type : )

I just think that they are laughing at something said in society chat. :)

No other sound auto-plays just from typing a few characters in private chats, to my knowledge.
"bye", "wtf", "afk" and few others I can't remember also do it. Most annoying is when your avatar assumes afk posture when you're talking about someone else :D

Just add punctuation to those words.
An lol will not sound with dot attacked ("lol.") .
To prevent smile add one more bracket for example - is not working on forum as smile will be still displayed followed by bracket but in game chat it work.

Type /emote? in game chat to see what you can command by typing text in chat. (/em kiss)

Last edited:
... or they could just give us back the babbling sounds our avas used to make. Wouldn't be this inept laughter in a total silence, it would be pretty much lost in the hum of the crowd... gosh I really miss it... :(

I kind of find it somewhat funny/amusing - the times I notice it, that is. That's just me, I guess.

I like it... They already removed the trading emote -_-

Maybe your avatar is just going along with the fact that some people think "lol" is never out of context?

"I'm having a heart attack lol"

"My wife just left me lol"

"I just lost my job lol!"

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it wouldn't surprise me...:eyecrazy:

I thought I was the only one who bother with this. Yes, is something extremely annoying laughing out of the blue in a silent enviroment and not only me, to hear others doing it aswell! With pets silly repeatable idle sounds together are those things I can't understand and I can't stand. Sometimes I change location because of pets noises :mad:

Does sexy dances and other odd emotes on random folks in a crowded area bother u too?

While the LOL is annoying, it's kinda funny to hear it... sort of makes me wish the old school chatter sounds were still in game.

Last edited:
yeah I noticed it too and it's annoying

Agreed. It is awkward to say the least, that emotes uttered in private chats or channels are animated in public. One often scrambles to avoid the known abbreviations. I even prefer to hang out in lonely places when I'm in chat mode.

Cranky old farts.
Just cannot bear to see young people having fun lol

Does sexy dances and other odd emotes on random folks in a crowded area bother u too?

mastermesh if you noticed we talking about "private" chat and public reactions :) If someone chat or do jokes in local and laugh then there is no issues of been akward. isn't? Dancing isn't a sound feature lol

While it doesn't bother me terribly when other avatars break out in random laughter or other emotes, it does get a bit annoying when my avatar does it. More often than not, it happens when out hunting. Seriously, in the middle of killing a beastie, I'm gonna stop and wave my weapon in the air to say bye? :scratch2:

What I have noticed, though, is the uppercase letters don't trigger the emotes. I have gotten used to typing LOL, WTF, AFK, etc in uppercase.

Hell, I'd like to hook more text to in-game actions.. make it more like riding the subway and listening to everyone talking on the phone.. :laugh:

Almost on topic... It is also creepy when the avatars stare at each other. If you walk past a group and all the heads turn and follow you... :eyecrazy:

I got told not to stare at an avatar last night, it wasn't my fault... avatars stare at each other!!! ;)

If they kept this loony laugh in, I still don't understand why they took out the chatter sound.

I loved the chatter sound :(

... or they could just give us back the babbling sounds our avas used to make. Wouldn't be this inept laughter in a total silence, it would be pretty much lost in the hum of the crowd... gosh I really miss it... :(

and lie down or sitt down at floor :)

Almost on topic... It is also creepy when the avatars stare at each other. If you walk past a group and all the heads turn and follow you... :eyecrazy:

I got told not to stare at an avatar last night, it wasn't my fault... avatars stare at each other!!! ;)

I've always been more aware of the gun turrets following me with their aim.
Other than that, it is pet sounds which annoy me more than occassional lols and hi/byeeeees.
Continuous crafting globals nearby I could without too....

Oh, and a quiet hello from me as well. I've wanted to +rep a hello in other threads recently, but the system wants spread more as usual ... ;)

It's especially funny considering that the truth is much creeper. I personally like to examine other avatars, their clothes and gear and sometimes faces, but my avatar doesn't even face them, it might be not even in the same room, - I just jump from avatar to avatar using "target face" action, eventually targeting avatars that are out of direct sight, on the other end of the radar range. No one is safe as long as there are other green dots on radar! :D

Bring back the babbletalk! The same sounds!

It's especially funny considering that the truth is much creeper. I personally like to examine other avatars, their clothes and gear and sometimes faces, but my avatar doesn't even face them, it might be not even in the same room, - I just jump from avatar to avatar using "target face" action, eventually targeting avatars that are out of direct sight, on the other end of the radar range. No one is safe as long as there are other green dots on radar! :D

:laugh: I'll remember that next time i see you :laugh:

Back