Remember when mobs ran away or attacked each other?

Coelacanth

Stalker
Coelacanth Coelacanth Maryka
Who else remembers the time when mobs would sometimes run away from a hunter once its health was reduced below half? Or, when mobs of different species would attack other mobs if they were within the aggro range?

Someone commented in another thread something that reminded me of that...I loved it, because during this time, mob A.I. was actually realistic compared to the current "attack until dead" mob mentality...and it was both fun and realistic to see mobs attack other mobs if the red dots got too close to each other.

Of course, that feature didn't last too long, because you could more easily kill off a big mob if you were hitting it hard and it turned to flee, and because you could watch a mob attack another mob and wait until it was significantly wounded before you took over and killed it with less ammo spent...and killed the attacking mob after.

It was yet another fun time from a bygone era in the game. Now every hunter you see is a mindless tank and every mob is a mindless attacker with no concern whatsoever for its own well-being & self-preservation.

I liked when mob A.I. in Entropia was more complex than the creatures in Doom, 15+ years ago...

i remember the mobs running away,but i dont think ive ever seen mobs attck each other,and im here since 2004 orso..that feature must have been very shortlived :)

i remember the mobs running away,but i dont think ive ever seen mobs attck each other,and im here since 2004 orso..that feature must have been very shortlived :)

I don't remember this either.

Actually I don't remember mobs running away either haha maybe I wasn't paying attention.

But what I do remember is the good ol' "delay" that it took for mobs to notice that they're being shot at it and where it's coming from. That felt realistic too.

There is a mob which still runs away at decreasing speed as it gets more wounded, but it's not taken very seriously ;).
There's also at least one newer mob that also "runs away" in the same compass direction every time, so a wise hunter can start off "down compass" instead of downwind.... ;)

I remember.. I also remember the blood.
and when you died you turned into a ghost and could travel to new teleporters.

I remember.. I also remember the blood.
and when you died you turned into a ghost and could travel to new teleporters.

yea,the ghostthingie is hard to forget,i saw it too many times :)
wasnt there also an green healingpool where you could stand in and get healed for free ?
i have thet image vaguely in my mind :)

You dont know what you have lost.
You could learn melee fight from looking umbranoids fighting each other to death.
You could see 30-40 tantilions killing ara.
Trox against ara,
Trox against robot.
And many more.
Yes wounding had its meaning, wounded mob trying to reach you run slower, if too much hurt try to run away.
After he slowly gained few HP points he could decide to come back to attack you more.
There were no mobs with extreme HP and super fast regeneration except trox stalker , big ara and warlock 7. (those were biggest mobs in game)
Using drones you shoot as shield against other drones and making robots to pre damage other robots before you kill them
That AI was super cool but in most cases needed a lot of system resources and MA servers could not deal with it as we got each day more and more players in game.

VU witch was known as changing AI VU was remembered by community for increasing HP of most creature species and in same time for introducing fast HP mob regeneration and increasing cost to play.

After they took away the blood stains, then they took away bombs and bomb marks on the ground, and the ability to drop shit on the ground and make stuff, and to drop your ass on the ground and slide around. :rolleyes:

But ya, kind of miss the ghost travel. Speaking of pools, definitely miss the acid/skilling pools, it was fun to see noobs run into them and not realize what was going on and they would die :laugh:

Edit: RIP UMBRA CAMP! Please bring back umbra camp, wtf did they ever get rid of that for???

stoopid humanz

I remember the animals attacking other ones, also them fleeing. I am a early 2004 born player.

I miss stuff like this, since it was a part of a world which felt more alive.

They should put it back into game. I mean, serious mobs not just chrpies. I haven't seen it in PE, came in a little late for that but I've seen it a lot in PE spin-off (Afterworld) and it's actually a real challenge to hunt a fleeing deer that can easily outrun you unless seriously wounded.
If your dps was too low u had no chance in hell. Even for a high skilled hunter with a badass long range rifle all it took was just one miss during the first 3 shots and u lost the mob and all the decay already done to it. It just ran off the radar and u never saw it again.
Very realistic, very entertaining, very easy to balance too I imagine.

Another cool thing was the pack mobs, u shot one and the whole wolfpack in close vicinity turned on you.

Or the mobs getting tired of you eventually if u remained passive and didn't attack them.... or or duh... well, better don' get me started on this AI stuff, lol

all i remember in 2004 atrox killing atrax and everything at rig oil :laugh:

I know a game (non-RCE) where mobs still attack each other. Also, herd behavior - you attack one mektoub, and the whole herd comes for you.

It has bankrupted a couple of companies already though. :laugh:

You dont know what you have lost.
You could learn melee fight from looking umbranoids fighting each other to death.
You could see 30-40 tantilions killing ara.
Trox against ara,
Trox against robot.
And many more.
Yes wounding had its meaning, wounded mob trying to reach you run slower, if too much hurt try to run away.
After he slowly gained few HP points he could decide to come back to attack you more.
There were no mobs with extreme HP and super fast regeneration except trox stalker , big ara and warlock 7. (those were biggest mobs in game)
Using drones you shoot as shield against other drones and making robots to pre damage other robots before you kill them
That AI was super cool but in most cases needed a lot of system resources and MA servers could not deal with it as we got each day more and more players in game.

VU witch was known as changing AI VU was remembered by community for increasing HP of most creature species and in same time for introducing fast HP mob regeneration and increasing cost to play.

that must have been an nice sight :)

all i remember in 2004 atrox killing atrax and everything at rig oil :laugh:

man,i was so proud when i finally could solo an atrax young without dying :)

oh NOOOO pls don't putting such ideas!!!!
I already suffering from those damn gibnib's and chirpies when they running away with 1 line health and suicide in the sea!!!
I couldn't stand Atrox's or Atrax's doing that too! THIS IS A BAD IDEA :scratch2:

I played a while in old PE, i remember chirpies and gibnibs attacking for 1 damage, acid pools, the avatar babble chat (really miss that), butt sliding, and mobs backing off when low on health :D.

The vids that used to play on the advertising screens were nice also, kinda miss them.

Could it be because of the change from an original program done from scratch to a commercial game engine that these little things got lost? Only speculating, maybe someone knows more details what the CryBaby can or cannot do.

good old times when gameplay was still evolving and I didn't fall asleep while hunting :)
(note : I really do)

good old times when gameplay was still evolving and I didn't fall asleep while hunting :)
(note : I really do)

I'm with you on this. I don't know how people can hunt for 5-6+ hours straight and not have an existential crisis or something.

The good old days...:wtg:

I played a while in old PE, i remember chirpies and gibnibs attacking for 1 damage, acid pools, the avatar babble chat (really miss that), butt sliding, and mobs backing off when low on health :D.

The vids that used to play on the advertising screens were nice also, kinda miss them.

ahh great times :).

The mobs running away was certainly more realistic and added to the fun. I think back then we didn't know the word 'grinding' in EU, it was just about having fun and having to chase those mobs down till the end :laugh:.

Pre-VU 10 calypso themed planet with post VU-10 graphics anyone? :D We have time travel on next island so the story could be some sort of parallel calypso time line where by the big robot ship didn't crash and the good times remained :laugh:. Bring back that guy with the logs, i'm sure he could have found a way. Who's with me? :wtg:

did anyone else also spent hours and hours looking around those crashed spaceships for beacons ? :)

did anyone else also spent hours and hours looking around those crashed spaceships for beacons ? :)

In my first week, 2005 ish, i remember looking in the sea south of calypso for an oil rig that didn't exist, spent days looking for it lol. What confused me.....it was on the old maps.

I really miss the mobs slowing down when their HP reduced. Then running scared away.....run forest, run!

Rgds

Ace

Ah, the ancient rubber band days.

Yes I remember the mobs running away. Anybody remember fly`s dont know if they still exist, used to be good for skilling evade.

lol yea..those "blabla examined spaceship and found sth worth 50 ped" globals made me search those ships for hours..luckily i "picked up a strange signal" while mining and all got clear...

sad some of the really cool things got lost..

on this pic you see burned ground from the laser shots..(s of old twin peaks)

Yes :laugh:..... and when i did find a strange signal mining didn't know what to do and lost the ship :laugh:.

Damn i miss strange signals :)

The good old days when plasma rifles were cool looking, the type of energy amp used could switch your laser beam from red to green and Dead-zone Harlequins ruled (ahem) the planet. :)

Today's game is a barbie land in combarison.

Ah, the ancient rubber band days.

This. Even if we're nostalgic about a couple of things there are so many good things about the game today: The game doesn't actually crash once per hour, you don't often get thrown around for an hour because the game thought you looked like a ping-pong ball, flying, teleporting, mindforce in general, melee weapons that are not shit, high end BLP weapons a game world a hundred times as large etc. etc. :wise:

Last edited:
on this pic you see burned ground from the laser shots..(s of old twin peaks)

You also see an Opalo amped with A103 without problem.

(For all I care opalos and critical hits are new additions to the game. :ahh:)

Back