Warning Scammed Again :(

deactivated

Last edited:
<screenshot removed>

Guys I really have to say this with such a heavy heart, because a really good friend or who I thought was a friend has undoubtedly been a scammer :(

I lent him 1k PED's

What advice do you guys have for me, who are friends and how do I know how the difference. My experiance in this game with loot has been so terrible... But my friends kept me around and I have made so many good relationships and this game has such a great community but I never saw this one coming. Mound and Mounds of PEDs no hofs, now I am losing ped to friends, I am struggling to find a reason to stay.

How do we avoid these trust scams?

INFO: I know what I said is kinda harsh but I never spoke to him harshly or put any presure until today, it has been over 2 years and he still is making excesses why he cant pay me back. When he said 3 months I kind lost it and I regret treating him like that no matter the circumstance.

Don't loan money or things to people who you can't go right to their front door and take it back or take out car tires.

Don't lend high value items to anyone that doesn't have a proven history of borrowing from other people that can vouch for him... and try to get CLDs/AUDs as collateral...

Don't lend ANYTHING to anyone EVER...Forget about collateral... In Mindark's Eyes, All Trades are Final, so there is no such thing as lending. If you do collect collateral and tomorrow the markup on the stuff is tenfold times higher than the collateral you collected, there's nothing Mindark or anyone else can do to help you get what you 'sold' back.

He was in a soc that am best friends with the Soc Leader, I have lent almost everyone in that soc ul get such as CAly Trek MK I T7 + Dante and loads of items and never had one issue.

I never saw this coming this guy had over 30k in gear when I lent him the ped because he needed badly. Really got blind sided.

To date after 4 years in EU and passing 100 or thousands of PED in gear value I never have been shorted 1 ped from anyone. This is really disheartinging

Don't trust anyone, even if they even do have a history of lending... Since all trades are final, anyone can stop being trustworthy at any point in time. IRL it doesn't take much for someone to suddenly have a great enough need for money that they are like, "who cares about this damn game, I need cash now," whether it's due to a IRL car accident, funeral, or just pure rebellious teenage greed, or whatever. There is a LOOOOONG history of trust scams in Entropia.

According to Mindark, if you did get scammed, don't contact them, contact the police instead.

Last edited:
deactivated

Last edited:
It's a fine line that even the best of us can fall foul of.

Trust no one, not even with the sound of your voice or which country you live in. Sure you will be much safer, but to what cost.

Trust friends, you may stand to lose if one is deceptive, but to what gain.

I guess there is a happy medium. I hope you can find it :)

A lot of people are saying don't trust people, dont lend gear or peds.

I think it's important to trust people but to recognise that there is an element of risk in giving your trust and that sometimes trust will be betrayed.

In game there is a very small number of people I will lend gear to and I always think about what my real world dollar loss will be if things go sour. Some of these people I know out of game and others I know well enough to be confident that they value their reputation and are unlikey to blow that for a hundred dollars or so.

Others I won't lend to even though I like them. I just don't know them well enough to do any reasonable risk assessment.

If he hasn't any Ped, take items as collateral. Give him 30 days, if no pay sell the gear.

A lot of people are saying don't trust people, dont lend gear or peds.

I think it's important to trust people but to recognise that there is an element of risk in giving your trust and that sometimes trust will be betrayed.

In game there is a very small number of people I will lend gear to and I always think about what my real world dollar loss will be if things go sour. Some of these people I know out of game and others I know well enough to be confident that they value their reputation and are unlikey to blow that for a hundred dollars or so.

Others I won't lend to even though I like them. I just don't know them well enough to do any reasonable risk assessment.

Same with me. There are only a handful of people I trust and these are crew mates ( on Normandie) that I talk to or play in game practically everyday.

I have that jerk on my friends list on Facebook but guess it's not allowed to link it here! So if it's not mod can just remove it, cuz scammers deserve no protection if you ask me!
<removed link>

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you but also dislike this thread :)
All i see is negative comments about how no one can be trusted.
This is not the case if managed properly
The vast majority of people here are honest and here to have fun.
It is a minority that are here to scam.

I understand he is a friend BUT he is still asking for an almost £1000 loan.
Who on earth gives that out without the recipients details ??
How could you call him a friend if you have no idea how to contact him in RL ?

There are many trust funds and loans etc working inside EU without a hitch.
The key is surely just a bit of thought.

If you couldnt afford to loose the peds they should not have been given out.
He obviously couldn't afford to repay the bank loan so how would he afford to pay you?
He didnt keep up with bank repayments on a valuable item he knew would be lost
Soo why is he going to pay you?

If u gave out peds you should have asked for details of how to retrieve them again.

It would not have been unacceptable to ask for drivers photo ID
home address backed up by utility bill and skype convo to get a picture.

The game is worldwide but the world is shrinking
There are not many places to hide IF you have obtained details of the individual first.
Anyone honest person will happily go along with this plan.

Worst case scinario you go pay him a visit..

Last edited:
Could you PM me the name, please? Thanks.

upd: Ah, I see. The guy tried to buy an item from me for 3k a couple of days ago, so he's certainly not broke.

Last edited:
PM me with ava name, I need to check something

could any1 pm me the name please,thx ;)

I have sent him an ingame mail, if the situation doesn't change I will file a support ticket with as much information as I can and see how things go.

Wouldn't be the first avatar locked for a scam, and sadly wont be the last one...

Cheer up Kull you did nothing wrong.

Sad part of virtual reality is that it is just like real reality.

If you don't want to see a friend again - lent him some money :wise:

Not cool .... If if you heads up whit something fimilar in future dont send again manique after it . Badest choice ever :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pls pm me name

deactivated

Last edited:
In these threads always someone comes up with a lending/renting system.

So here it goes:

Creating a loan:
-1 ped fee goes to Mindark ( the only way they will ever create something like this) looks like a similar window like trade, but left/right instead of top/down to avoid renting scams.
- Item goes left, right goes ped if a borrower is actually a renter
- no ped in the right window means you lend something out.
- lender sets time (hours, days)

lendier clicks accept, borrower clicks accept, both click are you really really absolutely sure confirm button

advantage:
- Mindark makes more money ( are you reading this MIndark?)
- no more threads like these
- because the system is left/right it won't be confused with regular trade

after the timer runs out, a message appears, your "mod merc" has returned to your inventory.

So basicly once you turn money in to peds, it's not money in the eyes of police.

Thats complete bullshit mate.

If I convert money into a car RL and lend out the car, it is still theft if the one loaning it didn´t return the car.

There is a lot cases in my country where people have been hold liable by court actions for stealing virtual goods, some even had to go to prison for fraud.

You would be surprised how courts decide if you just have to balls to do the proper legal steps.

Beside that its not the police you need, its just a court and best to have a very good advocat with knowledge about internet laws in your country.

He asked me too back at that time...

I'm in same situation like you kull, I loaned 18k to a known player but haven't got it back and yes it was without any collat just his good rep was enough. Few months later nothing so I thought i was scammed. Yeye gotta move on and just didn't think much of it. But to my luck he contacted me way later and said sorry blabla and will pay in this coming summer. So we shouldn't call anyone scammer right away as we dunno whats with their RL. But in ur case, 2 years... Yeah its obvious.

Don't lend ANYTHING to anyone EVER...Forget about collateral... In Mindark's Eyes, All Trades are Final, so there is no such thing as lending. If you do collect collateral and tomorrow the markup on the stuff is tenfold times higher than the collateral you collected, there's nothing Mindark or anyone else can do to help you get what you 'sold' back.

Really? What about the guy who got 100s CLDs for price of 1 back when the MA guy were selling for 1150?
I wish they could say all trades are final :laugh:

Really? What about the guy who got 100s CLDs for price of 1 back when the MA guy were selling for 1150?
I wish they could say all trades are final :laugh:

LOL or the deed to Eudoria :laugh:

Its just sad that it has to be that way, when a friend needs help you shouldnt be scared ot help them...

But seems you have to be :confused:

When a friend needs help than you for sure dont have to be scared to help him, but the thing is that those kind of ppls arent anyones real friend. Those ppl are just pretending and waiting a chance to rip you off. Anyway dont loose hope because there is alot of good ppl out there and keep playing because of them. Its same thing in real life too, you have real honest friends and you have pretenders who will rip you off if they can. In a game its much easyer to run away with cash and thats the only thing whats different.

He asked me too back at that time...

I'm in same situation like you kull, I loaned 18k to a known player but haven't got it back and yes it was without any collat just his good rep was enough. Few months later nothing so I thought i was scammed. Yeye gotta move on and just didn't think much of it. But to my luck he contacted me way later and said sorry blabla and will pay in this coming summer. So we shouldn't call anyone scammer right away as we dunno whats with their RL. But in ur case, 2 years... Yeah its obvious.

Soo, have you actually got the funds back yet?

In these threads always someone comes up with a lending/renting system.

So here it goes:

Creating a loan:
-1 ped fee goes to Mindark ( the only way they will ever create something like this) looks like a similar window like trade, but left/right instead of top/down to avoid renting scams.
- Item goes left, right goes ped if a borrower is actually a renter
- no ped in the right window means you lend something out.
- lender sets time (hours, days)

lendier clicks accept, borrower clicks accept, both click are you really really absolutely sure confirm button

advantage:
- Mindark makes more money ( are you reading this MIndark?)
- no more threads like these
- because the system is left/right it won't be confused with regular trade

after the timer runs out, a message appears, your "mod merc" has returned to your inventory.
:wise: This needs doing. :wise:

Spawn's loan system needs to return the loaned item to storage on the planet where the borrower is. Else it turns into an 1 ped exploit to transport stackables through space risk free. eg I lend my stackables to a friend for the shortest possible time and then fly to the planet I want them on and wait for them to be returned to me in my new location.

Also begs the question. How do we deal with the borrower no longer having the borrowed gear
answer
- items locked from trading/dropping/TTing,
- stackables - ? how to prevent being looted in pvp,
- peds - ???? they are meant to be spent else why borrow.

Perhaps a loan system is only feasibe for items.

How do we avoid these trust scams?
Simple: Don't trust. It's unfortunate what happened, but I almost don't even consider this a scam. It has been warned hundreds of times over the years as it's happened hundreds of times, don't lend someone anything you can't afford to lose. The same goes for RL but it's a much more important thing to remember in a RCE game.

Back