Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Daughter of Anarchy
    Society
    Freelancer

Approved (shared) alts?

An old and (apparently) trustworthy player told me recently this:

To make a management avatar, you just need to send a support case to Mindark explaining the reason for it and have it approved so that if reported as an alt you have a record of it. Shop owners and Ship owners (where the shop is owned by multiple people) were the biggest reason for it since Mindark can't come up with a way to "Share" ownership of anything in this game.

Now thing is that I was not able to find any such mention in EULA or otherwise and from what I previously understood:

- having more than one avatar is not allowed; the only legal way to have a second avatar is to ask for termination of the previous one

- there is no such thing as supported "sharing ownership"; each avatar has a single legal owner (making the relation between avatar and people one-to-one: a single avatar per person, a single person behind any avatar), and while sharing the avatar is not really disallowed, it is done at own risk and as far as MA is concerned they will consider that it was the legal owner behind it at all times.

So... what's the truth?

1) Can alts be legally allowed (if requested, for legit reasons, like managing shops on different planets)?

2) Is it allowed to share your avatar (taking the risk that if the other person does something bad you are responsible)?

3) Is there any legal "shared" form of ownership (either over avatars, deeds or items)?

Please note that all questions are from a legal / rules POV, not something like "people do it for ages" or "just make a second account for your siblings, parents, kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, dogs, cats and so on".

Also please note that I don't have any stance on this; is simply a curiosity question and I think it would be best for everyone to have some clear answers that send the things back in the white/black areas, instead of leaving them in the gray one.
    Last edited by DoA; 05-04-2016 at 13:50.
    If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do, keep moving forward.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Brendan Slick Gould
    Society
    General - NBK Army
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DoA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please note that all questions are from a legal / rules POV, not something like "people do it for ages" or "just make a second account for your siblings, parents, kids, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, dogs, cats and so on".
    If you want a legal perspective on this, put in a support case. Asking membership won't get you what you are asking for. MA will be the only one to answer in the way you are looking for.
    "Entropia Universe time: 2017-04-24 01:45:28
    [Space Travel][Yoshii Yoshii Lem] If you like struckture and order Normandie and Kronan are good choices."

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Sir Matt Copping
    Society
    Global Alliance
    Images
    I guess if one was to start a company then the avatar could be owned by the company. It might work as a nice option for people who want to do shared ownership.

Companies are seen as independent entities so the accounts wouldn't be alts per se...

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Daughter of Anarchy
    Society
    Freelancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sionkiewicz View Post
    If you want a legal perspective on this, put in a support case. Asking membership won't get you what you are asking for. MA will be the only one to answer in the way you are looking for.
    Made that thing (placing the support ticket) at the same time, but we all know that MA support are not really fast on answering (on not time critical) tickets, so I don't expect to get an answer from there fast.

That's the reason of this post, to get additional POVs in the mean time (maybe someone can confirm what that guy told me - maybe they done that in the past - sending such a ticket and being allowed, etc).

Of course, when I'll have an official answer to my ticket, I'll post that one too here, but in the mean time looking for answers from people that (tried to) did that in the past.
    Last edited by DoA; 05-04-2016 at 13:48.
    If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do, keep moving forward.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Harmony Bella Simpson
    Society
    Rangers
    Images
    Well there are several approved alts in this game.
    And it is legal to let someone else play your avatar.

But in all cases the risk is all yours:
    -if someone else playing your avatar gives away all your stuff, it's gone and MA won't help you.
    -if someone else playing your avatar gets you banned, don't expect any sympathy

There are no legal failsafes or anything.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Paul Jetman Masters
    Society
    Venture Industries
    Images
    from what i've heard down the line,

1) ive heard some players got a partly-functional alt for business purposes (MS owners, moon owners), how true this is i dunno

2) i think this was touched on a few months ago, a support case could be read as, you can share but you lose access to support if anything goes wrong

3) not as such, a planet owner is kinda sharing with LA owners, MS owners do kinda share with its staff. a company system, who could buy a joint deed, with automatic payouts would be good. could give a new deed with shares that can be sold

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Daughter of Anarchy
    Society
    Freelancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony. View Post
    Well there are several approved alts in this game.
    And it is legal to let someone else play your avatar.

But in all cases the risk is all yours:
    -if someone else playing your avatar gives away all your stuff, it's gone and MA won't help you.
    -if someone else playing your avatar gets you banned, don't expect any sympathy

There are no legal failsafes or anything.
    Thank you a lot for your answer! It clarifies things a lot!

By any chance, can you please give an example of a public case of such an approved alt?

PS: Will +rep everyone that answered, but I can't do now since it tells me I gave away too much reputation in the last 24 hours.

Prowler
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/fo...OT-allowed-and

It was heatedly disscussed early in the year in this thread.

D.O.B. 17 Feb 2011 City of dreams
    First ROCKtropian to have a component blueprint and component named after avatar
    http://www.entropedia.info/Info.aspx...terial&id=1886
    Owner of Crunk Stall #1 Ores and Enmatters (cocktails)
    The Daddy of ROCKtropia

The "Fifth" Entity
    Society
    Freelancer
    Images
    We can keep throwing different quotes from EULA at each other on the forums forever. Some will believe one side some the other side and in the end we're none the wiser.
    We don't need lots of smart opinions, we need the official position on this. Shouldn't be too hard to do if they have a clear unequivocal answer. And if they don't answer, well, that's kinda an answer too.

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Daughter of Anarchy
    Society
    Freelancer
    And here's the answer I got from support (kinda vague if you ask me):

So how you would interpret it?

Not endorsed, but tolerated?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast