Orthos Oil Rig Question for Developers

Ireland (or in game usually on calypso or foma )
Society
Mental Institution
The mental Bull
I have noticed that orthos oil rig has been closed or shut down by robots indefinitely with a lack of context or storyline. Im asking today out of general curiosity and because i noticed the rapid drop of sweat prices on the planet calypso in the months following the closure and note that a lot of players who used to regularly visit orthos now spend their time sweating. My questions to the Planet Calypso Developers are,

1, Have you any intentions to restart or bring back oil production near the new player starting area at orthos? and if not why not remove the pvp area?
2, Was the Oil rig shut down for financial reasons such as difficulties in management of Planet Calypsos Finances or was it a different reason?
3, Have you any alternative plans for helping / encouraging the new player population which I assumed the small orthos rig was aimed towards helping, during this time now that it has been de-activated?

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions,
Regards, The Mental Bull

I'd also enjoy some clarification on these topics :scratch2:

NO one CARES!

It's a damn oil rig. Go do something else with your time

Like Entropia is just a game. Stop being a jerk

The question as such is legitimate, regardless one's opinion on the whole free oil and pvp stuff (I don't go there - I just can't lower myself enough for a few morsels). A lot of destructive changes were made without a credible reason or storyline, like the old Minopolis, Jason Centre, the recent removal of the swamp at Fort Isis, just to name a few.

If in the current instance there were financial or other sound reasons for removing a free resource, then there is no excuse for not saying so. The part I least understand is the almost complete withdrawal of MindArk and the Calypso team from communicating with the player base. It only fuels the hatred and toxic culture which may have been at the beginning of this withdrawal, but even that is speculation. It takes only a clear word to end it. Other planet partners are doing a better job at managing this. Please...!

Similarly, why were wolves added to arctic rig? On rt

NO one CARES!

It's a damn oil rig. Go do something else with your time

Funny how you cared enough to respond on this post lol ... Its a general interest question (which follows the forum guidlines) on my part and anyone who knows me in the game knows I do plenty things with my time in entropia.

Some people get so upset when you cant get something for free.

Some would argue the effort getting gear and weapons and spending of ammo sufficient to battle off competitors in pvp is the price you must pay to thrive at such a location. Have you tried getting the free oil at ashi recently? lol

Similarly, why were wolves added to arctic rig? On rt

That would be a question for the rocktropia developers not the planet calypso developers

helping / encouraging the new player population which I assumed the small orthos rig was aimed towards

I believe the aim of Orthos rig was to create mini-Ashi, to keep all low level antisocials, err... pvp lovers there. Instead the devs inadvertently raised a whole generation of new players with welfare mentality - sweating at least creates the appearance of honest work, even though it's an artificial employment.

Don't worry m8 you will have a job- selling tickets for teleporter- (pension and healtcare are not included) and don't forget to praise the great leader cuz you will end up in working camp sweating mobs that give 10 sweat per hour :yup:

Some would argue the effort getting gear and weapons and spending of ammo sufficient to battle off competitors in pvp is the price you must pay to thrive at such a location. Have you tried getting the free oil at ashi recently? lol

Orthos is NOT Ashi..

There is no line at Ashi..

There is no Guard in Ashi..

And there are no noob wanna-be PVPers coming in and wiping out the whole area. They end up back at Ashi revive wondering what just happened to them..

Please do not try to compare the two. They is no comparison.

In my opinion, Calypso is better off without the noob rig. :wise:

I'm surprised all the "welfare people" haven't just gone to Rocktropia and go to the beer garden.
It drops free Kegs every 30 secs or so and its not PvP and there doesn't seem to be any mobs inside the beer garden. So if you can get someone to drop you off there you set for a while.

Granted no one wants to buy the kegs and they are worth only 1 pec each so TT food. Also only 1-2 drop at a time and you have to run in a circle around the garden to find them...but still free money.
It is boring as hell though. I only went there to do the "bar fly" mission but there was no one else around and took less than 10 mins to get 30 of them (There was already a stockpile around when i got there). Some people waited for hours in that "welfare line" just to get a few ped.

Seems like a good alternative to me...not that i'm going back there...I would rather depo as time is important to me (especially since I have some zombies to kill), just surprised there was no one around.

The question as such is legitimate, regardless one's opinion on the whole free oil and pvp stuff (I don't go there - I just can't lower myself enough for a few morsels). A lot of destructive changes were made without a credible reason or storyline, like the old Minopolis, Jason Centre, the recent removal of the swamp at Fort Isis, just to name a few.

If in the current instance there were financial or other sound reasons for removing a free resource, then there is no excuse for not saying so. The part I least understand is the almost complete withdrawal of MindArk and the Calypso team from communicating with the player base. It only fuels the hatred and toxic culture which may have been at the beginning of this withdrawal, but even that is speculation. It takes only a clear word to end it. Other planet partners are doing a better job at managing this. Please...!
Oh come on. Look at the quantities involved in said free resource. Too small to matter to MindArk and also too small to matter in any genuine way to the players. I don't buy that reason for the noob rig shutdown.
The bots are cute.

Ok here's my guess.

I think the changes at the old Noob Rig (aka Orthos) are an attempt by the devs to replace passive standing around with active gameplay via adding lots of new missions oriented toward brand-new players.

Active gameplay is supposed to improve new player retention. Basic game theory here.

In memoriam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA1VzCHzkaU

Maybe it was merciful to let the robots in. Maybe it would be useless to tell anything anyway, because you can't tell stupid people that they're stupid. Maybe there is no hope for humanity.

Ok here's my guess.

I think the changes at the old Noob Rig (aka Orthos) are an attempt by the devs to replace passive standing around with active gameplay via adding lots of new missions oriented toward brand-new players.

Active gameplay is supposed to improve new player retention. Basic game theory here.

Exactly. The free oil isn't there to be taken freely. MA's hope was that there would be activity over fighting for the oil. The oil rig would stay as long as MA would break even or make some money off it. What has happened there is people are just standing in line doing nothing but picking up the free oil. So they fixed that issue and is very understandable.

Rignoob.jpg

Exactly. The free oil isn't there to be taken freely. MA's hope was that there would be activity over fighting for the oil. The oil rig would stay as long as MA would break even or make some money off it. What has happened there is people are just standing in line doing nothing but picking up the free oil. So they fixed that issue and is very understandable.
And standing around looking as tough as they can without actually doing anything.

Again, I really don't think this is about money. The quantity is too small.

And standing around looking as tough as they can without actually doing anything.

Again, I really don't think this is about money. The quantity is too small.

I'm sorry, but you said:

Ok here's my guess.

As you (and I) stated, this can really be the only answer that MA just did not like having people standing around all day sucking what ever little money out of them without getting a profit for that area in question.

I know many people who play this game on the income of the oil rig and never deposit. So yes with that this is why MA disabled it.

I know many people who play this game on the income of the oil rig and never deposit. So yes with that this is why MA disabled it.

:rofl:

You can not get enough income from the oil rig to subtain anything. What are they doing? Killing a couple of snablesnots?

:rofl:

You can not get enough income from the oil rig to subtain anything. What are they doing? Killing a couple of snablesnots?

LOL I don't know. But I guess so.

I'm sorry, but you said:

Ok here's my guess.

As you (and I) stated, this can really be the only answer that MA just did not like having people standing around all day sucking what ever little money out of them without getting a profit for that area in question.

Do you speak English?

I

Do you speak English?

Found the person who's income is the oil rig... :laugh:

How are the snables going? Any 5 ped globals?

Just out of curiosity, how much pec did the average player make? I have never been to either rig btw.

attack the argument - why bother if its more fun & easier to attack the man.
--------------------
"Now offering space taxi service (Quad Wing Interceptor, no lootables on board please, and I can't warp) - 8 ped standard rate to anywhere"
------------------

by your argument golddude, oil rig must pay pretty well if lefty could finance a quad from it.

In my opinion, Calypso is better off without the noob rig. :wise:

True.

It was introduced, it didn't work as intended and got nerfed after many months of a 'trial'.

It may even get removed one day. Few will mourn, and even less will care.

Back