Why does my gun have different ranges?

MsPudding

Elite
Rachel MsPudding Hawkins
Hi,

While hunting in 3rd person I have the "Toggle Aim/Cursor Mode" OFF, as well as the "Move To Target when Interacting" ON. I have noticed that if I turn "Toggle Aim/Cursor Mode" ON, and "Move To Target when Interacting" OFF, my range is increased.

Question:
Is this the intended result? If so, why?

Thanks, I'll take my answer off the air.

-MsP :girl:

Last edited:
Range is the same, difference is that move to target uses mobs centre of hitbox, while you shooting big mobs like dasp, prot etc that have huge hitbox u dont neceserraly have to hit the centre. Also select team target selects centre of the hitbox not the closest side or edge of it.
Hope that explains it :)

/Soko

I've always felt it was possible to get a couple extra yards by manually aiming at a mob, with move to target off.

I consider it a touch of realism, as the gun has an "effective range" and your avatar will try to movin into that range if it's on auto. But if you don't the bullet can still impact something that's properly targeted but still a couple yards out of the range because, well, a speeding bullet doesn't just disappear, right?

Not sure if that's a bit of leftover from some platform behavior (because I know if they think about it MA will not want you having 1 extra millimeter of range) or something else I'm misinterpreting but, I can confirm the behavior I think you're describing.

I'm usually in melee and pistols so if I'm using a tagger I don't normally select that mob, I sight it in and hit a "use tool" button on my keyboard. You can often hit them without even activating the mob name/health bar on the mob.

Range is the same, difference is that move to target uses mobs centre of hitbox, while you shooting big mobs like dasp, prot etc that have huge hitbox u dont neceserraly have to hit the centre. Also select team target selects centre of the hitbox not the closest side or edge of it.
Hope that explains it :)

/Soko

thats incorrect. we are talking here about ~10m range (on 80m range gun). i dont know Mobs with a hitbox of 10m :)

The range reduction on auto-use tool was always there. I suppose it's a relic from an era where shooting in the air costed ammo (outside of pvp too) and MA didn't want to waste your ammo by mistake. So their tactic was to reduce the range artificially when using the auto tool.

Still the whole process is wonky as hell. Sometimes your avatar doesn't shoot until you are at like 50% range (this is probably due to the poor hitbox design).

My advice, if you care about it, is to shoot with your left mouse button when you are at full range and start the auto-use when at 85% range or so.

Cheers.

thats incorrect. we are talking here about ~10m range (on 80m range gun). i dont know Mobs with a hitbox of 10m :)

I disagree, some mobs probably have even more, its fairly hard to judge mobs length but lets take yuka or daspletor for example, from head to tail its easy 10m if not even more while auto use targets hitbox centre (which doesnt neceserally have to be mobs belly :)

It could also be a safeguard system as mentioned above but remember that mobs used to have square hitboxes till some years ago MA cirrected that.

One more thing is that hitboxes are broken on many mobs and there is even a thread here with the list of mobs that upon movent will stop ur auto use tool because their hitbox moves out of ur target.

Anyways, that is just my take on it.

/Soko

I think it's the move to target function has has the biggest bug in it.
I used it on Kingfishers & sometimes it would run right under the mob & then the system can't aim high enough making sure you don't get a shot in b4 the mob has argo'ed on you.
I only use it in pvp & do my tagging manually, I hate the system but i hate missed shots more

deactivated

Last edited:
you can still have auto-move to target on and use the extra range. I do it all the time with tagger. get mob in your sights, but dont click on it, and let go of mouse so the mob isn't 'semi targeted'

can gain ~10% in my experience.

you can still have auto-move to target on and use the extra range. I do it all the time with tagger. get mob in your sights, but dont click on it, and let go of mouse so the mob isn't 'semi targeted'

can gain ~10% in my experience.

This is what I do ^^

then once the mob is a bit closer you can click and let auto tool do its thing.

Back