Is wave hunting an exploit?

• Total voters

Manique

Marauder
Society
In Da Pocket
Paulo Manique Santos
Hello.

I come here today make a simple question and will provide some insight perhaps depending on interest and voting on the pool.

Question will be simple.

Is wave hunting, in your opinion, an exploit? or a flaw of the system that should be taken advantage off?
And i mean it in the worse case i witness
Sitting in vehicles or in corners and when you are told, you shot then for that time and sit back again.

Not acusing anyone here, I just want to know public opinion or if someone already reported / asked MA about this and had an answer :)

Thanks!
Waiting on public opinion :)

Dont hate the players hate the game...MA should make item drops really random and not come in waves and such shit wouldn't happened

Dont hate the players hate the game...MA should make item drops really random and not come in waves and such shit wouldn't happened

Not hating on anyone,
Just curious cos i heard mixed opinions all over the place and MAYBE someone has a reply for Mindark, and if they did, hope they'd be kind enough to share it.

Supports take too long to be replied and I'd avoid the extra strain on their side at this moment.

Thanks for the reply tho :)

I think this game could have had a hell of a lot more players if this had not been happening regularly.

With the markup items not received by the average player the lack of TT return is not compensated to many, making sure ordinary people playing this for fun will never ever recommend this game to their friends RL.

IMO it couldn't be considered an exploit, since its simply hunting with breaks, which is not against any rules as I know and you can't force people to shoot between those waves. And how/what would you report? "I saw people not doing something monotonously and taking breaks between shooting some mobs".
It's just a system flaw, which should be corrected, but knowing MA this is will most likely not happen. They'll rather waste time on bullshit like compets than take up anything important or with significance to their main game (the actual cash cow). :)

Edit to the people saying it should be bannable: If you get good loot, do you stop doing what you do?

Anything allowed by the universe mechanics which has not been officially announced as a "bug" or "exploit", is not an exploit imo.

Following waves doesnt give you any advantage over anyone else who is as smart as you.
Waves exist in crafting, hunting, mining and following them shouldnt be punished. MA could change their loot system to be little bit more complicated, but following good loot periods should in no way be punishable.

Otherwise it would be regular slot machines where nothign you do matters at all.

These waves are really hard to catch and very often you fail because of that. Waves exist, catching them is a skill and should not be punished.

Unfortunately it's "designed" to work like that(BAD), I complained lots of time about it but none seems to care.
It give advantage only to those that have lots of time, and disadvantage mostly depositors that play 1-2 h a day, and don't have time to follow this waves.

You should have the same chances to have a good loot no matter when you play.

Just for the record, i spoke about wave loot in terms of items and special stuff that drops only on those
as far as my experience goes and comparing data to some friends, tt returns are volatile, in a personal way

This item / whatever wave loot, everyone can experience, and if some get it during that time cos they can time it / get informed, others wont get it, making them have an edge over another player.

And ofc, everyone takes breaks, but i speak of some extreme cases that i see and the number of people adopting the style has been increasing,
I speak of people doing it 10-15h a day, for years now, making this a small job simply because of that aspect (nothing wrong with living of the game tho)

That is where i wonder if it is a legit way of hunting or not,
Depends on input i might change my style some, cos people doing it can increase their return in terms of % by a significant ammount doing so, however the drawback will be the cycled ammount.

But i believe cycling should have some reward and not doing what i see being done often.
But im not anyone to call it exploit or not, So I'll be waiting for people to post opinions and hopefully, someone will share a MA statement :)

I don't know about this metod of hunting, so I wil just say don't punish the player for just good knowledge of the game.

Waves are part of the system, and knowing that a wave is coming gives you zero advantage against the army of others who wait for it. Catching it is no more an exploit than getting the item from a shared-loot mob.

Ideally, the system shouldn't work that way, but we have to deal with what we've got.

Thanks for all the opinions of all sorts i've seen so far :)

This was the whole point of the thread.

I forgot to give my personal opinion.

I currently see it as a flaw,
However some use it to the point it feels its exploited.

Many people have the opinion no exploiting is done etcetera...

While they may think no rules are broken it should at least feel unethical to the part of them that is above a certain age and in a healthy state of mind.

I for one do not believe it was intended to work like this, which would make it a design flaw, which is taken advantage of by a group of people for personal financial benefit.

The not acting by MindArk on it I just consider a massive lack of insight and misprioritizement of things throughout the years. Mostly a lack of understanding probably of how (their) things work.

Seems an exploit to me by the ones described as above, yet to MA it might seem otherwise for the reason stated above. I still voted the report/ban option for a better overall EU experience to the general public, even though it would be pointless as no action will be taken against it as is proven over time...

As more people figure it we will be left with everybody "waiting" and nobody cycling ped...

Needs changing imo.:)

The not acting by MindArk on it I just consider a massive lack of insight and misprioritizement of things throughout the years. Mostly a lack of understanding probably of how (their) things work.

Well VW 99,999999% of the management didn't know how their TDI engine works and if it has exploits or not, so we can forgive MA not knowing how loot exactly works and if it has exploits.
BTW I think this is by design, so even if you work at MA you don't have more understandng how things work than the average player. Like in ancient Egypt they killed pyramid builders so no one knows where are the secret rooms and coridors.

Afaik MA hasn't made an official statement on VTOL hunting, yet that is considered an exploit by most.

I wonder what MA support would say if you asked them about waves? I doubt they'd call it an exploit.

I'm very curious what the game would feel like if waves didn't exist. Does anyone know if waves were around in the Project Entropia days? I wasn't active enough to really notice. But they are insanely obvious now.

Wave hunting for items or tt return?

Apart from migration I can't imagine any mob where it would pay of to do this though?

Wave hunting for items or tt return?

Apart from migration I can't imagine any mob where it would pay of to do this though?

I ment items/ specific loot that drops only that time.
Also TT I believe to be a diferent matter.

Hello.

I come here today make a simple question and will provide some insight perhaps depending on interest and voting on the pool.

Question will be simple.

Is wave hunting, in your opinion, an exploit? or a flaw of the system that should be taken advantage off?
And i mean it in the worse case i witness
Sitting in vehicles or in corners and when you are told, you shot then for that time and sit back again.

Not acusing anyone here, I just want to know public opinion or if someone already reported / asked MA about this and had an answer :)

Thanks!
Waiting on public opinion :)

Hello dear forum , Hello Mr Manique,

all we know that loot comes with waves.
all we know that ath loot drop 1 step before loot update
all we know that items are added after loot update and you call it wave since it is looted
all we know that mining resources, hunting loots, crafting stones / bps is updated in same time.
all we know (smart explosive crafters start craft 5 min before wave starts and ends 5 min after)
all we know (smart coperon / marcimex / eomon hunters start hunt before 5 mins and after 5 stops (not so smart start hunt when see rare)
all we know (smart miners start mine (pyrite,redulite all other rare ores) 5 min before and end when it stop get resources)

so my question is -> why hunters are different ? all i see is problem in system, we cant name them exploiters since gambling on explosives in certain time damages us more than hunting.

this all system can be fixed very easy -> DISABLE RARE MESSAGES.

and all will be fixed (at least cant determinate wave end/start)

same wave(loot refresh) concept cant be more often or more rare, since now its optimal. If it will be more often, we loose big hofs, if it will be more rare, we loose average returns.

i hope you got what i said.

edit : if avatar X, see that he gamble on expl bp 1h , and only 5 minutes he get good hofs, and starts craft only every X minutes 10 minutes, and its return increased 400%.
i would not blame him if system let it do.

//mg

lol @ Mr ;)

Thanks for the input Joda
This is what i see, opinions, from all sort.

As I said i dont want this to be finger pointing thread, just figuring out people's opinion, hence the pool.
I got completly what you said and apreciate the input

´
I apreciate if people keep it clean,
Dont want to turn what is a opinion sharing thread into a finger pointing one

Hello dear forum , Hello Mr Manique,

all we know that items are added after loot update and you call it wave since it is looted
all we know that mining resources, hunting loots, crafting stones / bps is updated in same time.
all we know (smart explosive crafters start craft 5 min before wave starts and ends 5 min after)
all we know (smart coperon / marcimex / eomon hunters start hunt before 5 mins and after 5 stops (not so smart start hunt when see rare)
all we know (smart miners start mine (pyrite,redulite all other rare ores) 5 min before and end when it stop get resources)

so my question is -> why hunters are different ? all i see is problem in system, we cant name them exploiters since gambling on explosives in certain time damages us more than hunting.

this all system can be fixed very easy -> DISABLE RARE MESSAGES.

and all will be fixed (at least cant determinate wave end/start)

same wave(loot refresh) concept cant be more often or more rare, since now its optimal. If it will be more often, we loose big hofs, if it will be more rare, we loose average returns.

i hope you got what i said.

edit : if avatar X, see that he gamble on expl bp 1h , and only 5 minutes he get good hofs, and starts craft only every X minutes 10 minutes, and its return increased 400%.
i would not blame him if system let it do.

//mg

What he said :)

:yup::yup::yup::yup:

//mg

i'm confused, do we really know that? or is it just an observation from the past in which we try to see the future?
common mistake :D

constantly crying exploit is very tiresome.

'wave hunting' or whatever you want to call it is in no way an exploit, its smart hunting based on observation.

mega uber amateurs.

I'm more worried that big hits tend not to hit during us time. So I feel like I'm hunting for nothing or at a disadvantage.

constantly crying exploit is very tiresome.

'wave hunting' or whatever you want to call it is in no way an exploit, its smart hunting based on observation.
No offense, but if you paid some attention to some ongoing stuff you'd see
Not coming here to cry out exploit
Just simply asking people's take on it
Its currently that way either people like it or not

I'm more worried that big hits tend not to hit during us time. So I feel like I'm hunting for nothing or at a disadvantage.

Curious enough, most of my bigger hits, were during "US time"

its not fair even what they did in 2011 imo, putting items only in first hours. For ex mulmum boar parts , drone exter eon parts etc.

Imo should be random not in waves.

No offense, but if you paid some attention to some ongoing stuff you'd see
Not coming here to cry out exploit
Just simply asking people's take on it
Its currently that way either people like it or not

Curious enough, most of my bigger hits, were during "US time"

Mine werent. All big hits of mine were prime time swedish time when I took off work or had a free day... including the ath.

Mine werent. All big hits of mine were prime time swedish time when I took off work or had a free day... including the ath.

My experience exactly. I've had good loot during "US" time, but anything huge was very late at night when European day was beginning. 11 years of playing has forced me to accept that or just not play. Love the game too much not to play!!!!

I second that.
After I returned back to EU (in March) I have been grinding mobs (near 1k hp) daily and have never seen anyone getting a single HoF on the mobs I was grinding.
Though those mobs HoF at least weekly.
And I got my highest in this year on a weekend midday.

Back