PayPal won't refund a Twitch troll's $50,000 in donations :D

Mac

Marauder
Mannanan Mac y Lir
I had no idea this kind of stuff is going on. Do you wish you twichies got some donations like this?!?! Sux to be his parents tho :laugh:

PayPal won't refund a Twitch troll's $50,000 in donations :D

If you plan to stiff Twitch streamers, don't expect PayPal's sympathy.

An Australian teen is learning one of the many reasons why you shouldn't cause grief for Twitch streamers. PayPal has refused to refund Anthony Archer after he made a total of $50,000 in donations to several well-known Twitch users (including LegendaryLea and NoSleepTV) as part of a trolling scheme. He'd intended to cancel the transactions through PayPal a month after making them, leaving the streamers high and dry, but PayPal wasn't having any of it -- he's on the hook for the full amount. And given that he appears to have used his parents' credit card, he's in more than a little trouble with them, too.

It's not as if gigantic donations are unheard of. Some streamers (including some of those targeted by Archer) have received tens of thousands of dollars in legitimate contributions from wealthy viewers. However, this serves as a reminder that there are risks to making a living from community donations. Unless you have a safety net like PayPal's, you could lose your shirt to a less-than-sincere fan.

Can't the parent just say that the child's use of the card was unauthorized? I mean sure they might have to press charges, but he's a child and they won't stick. (Not sure exactly as this is Australia but I'm just assuming.) And why ask twitch to refund it? Go through the credit card company. :p

He deserves it... Sick of people doing chargebacks from PayPal.

I dont understand why anyone would donate money in the first place .

I dont understand why anyone would donate money in the first place .
Because all people aren't greedy and if they enjoy the show/stream they like to support the person performing.
Many top streamers are comedians who talks and interacts with their viewers.

Goes a little deeper too. The chargebacks would be fraud or in this case attempted fraud. That's a felony in itself.

That's why I don't understand why people get away with chargebacks these days.

So they do not allow this troll to charge back but they let others charge back. im confused. I guess idea of chargeback is to protect you if what is promised is not delivered but im confused how this chargeback works
for some and not others. As for the troll yeah im glad he has been caught out and i hope they make the kid pay back in installments if he has to time to get a job maybe then be too busy to do stupid troll shit

So they do not allow this troll to charge back but they let others charge back. im confused. I guess idea of chargeback is to protect you if what is promised is not delivered but im confused how this chargeback works
for some and not others. As for the troll yeah im glad he has been caught out and i hope they make the kid pay back in installments if he has to time to get a job maybe then be too busy to do stupid troll shit

i'm guessing its because he made multiple payments to each streamer, some with messages. Kinda implies he knew exactly what he was doing, if it was 1 x50k donation, it probably would have been chargedback

Standard Operating Procedure in this case is, the parents simply tell their credit card company it was a "non-authorized charge" and they WILL force Paypal to refund the money. Happens every day.

@Yoshii, From what i have heard from some twitch streamers is that most if not all charge backs that are challenged by the streamer gets dissapproved by paypal and the streamer gets to keep the money. Most of the ones that get charged back succesfully are because there was no formal challenge to it.

Standard Operating Procedure in this case is, the parents simply tell their credit card company it was a "non-authorized charge" and they WILL force Paypal to refund the money. Happens every day.

that would require the parents to press charges against the son

The time he waited to try to get a refund also factors in. If he had requested the refund in an hour or a day then paypal probably would have refunded it.
Waiting 30 days and hoping that the streamer had already spent the money shows his intent to troll.
Glad that scum bag troll is going to get in trouble. :yay:

Back