New Space is 5 Years Old - RIP OG Space

Mac

Marauder
Mannanan Mac y Lir
Well, New and Improved Space is 5 Years old today. I am still not impressed.

I was thinking about how much I enjoyed my old hanger and space ship and travels to the non-taxed Crystal Palace. I am not a fan of PVP space. I am not a fan of having to take a half hour to fly to another planet in my quad. I am not interested in paying other people to "warp" me. I don't like coordinating with other people to do what I want to do. In a game where the company makes money off me cycling ped, forcing me to do nothing for a half an hour+ sitting in a quad is stupid, especially when New and Improved space has been a joke for 5 years.

I think I paid about 15k ped for my hanger. I am not interested in paying 50-100k to do what I used to do for 15k. I mean, they figured out how to make teleporters right? I know TPs work between planets becuase I used them before. I would prefer they just give me a tp from planet to planet and let me bypass the whole "space" thing. I used to have a wormhole chip. I thought that would be great to use, because after all, its a wormhole! Who would have guessed that wormholes are limited to use on a single planet!?!? :rolleyes:

Here are some screen shots I took of my Cape Corinth Hanger back in May of 2005.

It was not a great location for pilot business because people had to run through atrox to get to it. It was fine for me, kept the noobs away. Kept people from asking for rides. I was not in the Pilot business, it was my personal ride to go to CP which I did all the time. I had a lot of fun up there with Blondie. We never got any good items or big hofs but we had fun and burned a lot of ped :)

When you were seated you got a HUD, when you blasted off, it would go black for a little while and then you would arrive at the Crystal Palace. There was no navigating around space at that time, there was just one destination. You would arrive at the CP hanger complex and have to run through that maze to the domes. It was important to remember where you parked your ship becuase they all looked the same and it could take forever to go into each one and check to see if you could enter the ship. If you could, it was probably yours, if not, you had to keep looking. People would get lost all the time either going to the domes or going back to the ship :laugh:

The passenger/gunner seats were a pain in the ass. People who didn't have much experience had the hardest time trying to figure out how to find the button to seat themselves to bring up the hud even when you tried to patiently explain it. If I was in a hurry and was having to take to long to explain it I would just blast off. If you were not seated on blast off, you died and rezed back at Cape Corinth. :laugh:

My Original Space Ship Hanger

Hanger Entrance

Pic of entire ship in hanger with gangway down

Aft end of the Space ship in the hanger

Entrance passageway inside space ship

I entered the ship and this trox had spawned inside, so I tried to take him to Crystal Palace, but he didn't make it. I should have strapped him in first :D

One of the Gunners/Passenger seats

The Cockpit

Oh well. RIP OG Space. It was fun while it lasted! :)

How it used to be.

Yep, Thanks Mega. You only saw that from the outside, and you had to be far enough away that you didn't die when it blasted off :laugh:

As a pilot or passenger you just got the black screen in the hud :rolleyes:

Oh, and that is avatar babble in the background if anyone hasn't heard it before :)

Did not have chance to travel in one of the old space ships. First long while in the game I was sweating, healing and gathering to earn ped.

Was fun watching the video of space ship taking off out of hangar :)

#space_flight ~ connecting travelers with space service providers

RiptureLanding1.jpg

The old spaceships had this magical sci-fi feel to them. The same goes for the old armors, they were stylish, a real work of art.
Back then the engine was rather primitive, so everything looked kinda sketchy and blurry but the most important thing, the alien futuristic atmosphere was all the more real. Today we have infinitely more polygons and much higher resolution that allows us to see the smallest details, but the the magic and style of the dreamy alien world is gone...

24copy.jpg

Wish I knew who were the artists and designers who created the old PE look and feel. In a hindsight we can appreciate how much their artistic talent contributed to the success of the early Project Entropia. :yup:

tooshi.jpg

Wanderers in the alien world...
coolness_unlocked.JPG

kanjonikuva2.jpg

arena2.jpg

fsscr434cut.jpg

mofo.JPG

Spaceship.jpg

xxx.JPG

We certainly have new cool stuff we didn't have before, like all those eyecandy sunsets over tropical beaches, moving vegetation... and some clothing is stylish enough even for the most demanding taste. There's lots of good things too but still... can't shake the feeling of being cast out of Paradise after VU 9... :(

nuddyUB.jpg

Last edited:
These look cool;

entropia_spaceships_jpg1named.jpg

Reactions: Mac
A great thread :)
Some things are charming and bring memories of how was back then. For me even if I tried PE back then, many things wasn't those I looked for. Especially the avatars! I never understood the ammo thing also lol.
SL won, but also today there is nostalgia there too, for all of us we lived the first VR era. I believe we can call it as such.
Pioneers

The strugle pressing the little red button ,or wait for others doing it :silly2:

+REP Mac, great thread!

The old spaceships had this magical sci-fi feel to them. The same goes for the old armors, they were stylish, a real work of art.
Back then the engine was rather primitive, so everything looked kinda sketchy and blurry but the most important thing, the alien futuristic atmosphere was all the more real. Today we have infinitely more polygons and much higher resolution that allows us to see the smallest details, but the magic and style of the dreamy alien world is gone...

Yes, this is how I feel. I was happy with the campy graphics and the feelings of wonder and delight I had, I would still be happy with those old graphics and the experience today.

A great thread :)
Some things are charming and bring memories of how was back then. For me even if I tried PE back then, many things wasn't those I looked for. Especially the avatars! I never understood the ammo thing also lol.
SL won, but also today there is nostalgia there too, for all of us we lived the first VR era. I believe we can call it as such.
Pioneers

Its pretty amazing to think about it like that. I wonder if that is part of the "community" feel we all have in here whether we get along or not, we do have this sense of a shared experience that makes us have some kind of connection with each other that makes us keep coming back. I can't explain it to my friends, co-workers or family. They don't get it. I find its better not to even try anymore. Its that feeling of logging in and taking a magical trip. I want to keep doing it even though the experience isn't what it was before, I am still trying to find it again.

These look cool;

They definitely look cool. Reminds me of something I would see in another un-named space ship game. I still liked my old hanger ship/TP :D

The strugle pressing the little red button ,or wait for others doing it :silly2:

The struggle, it was real! :laugh:

+REP Mac, great thread!

Thanks m8! :)

I was not really around for this era of the game, but i think this is one of those things that got lost, not just in MA but in the gaming industry as a whole. A spacecraft launching from a fixed location building owned by a player is so magical that its almost ridiculous, talk about interactivity with the world itself.

But nowadays it feels like no game out there(that is a MMO) have any connection to its own world, instead the world is represented by a non interactive scenery and "quest text". In that sense i guess we Entropians are lucky, we still have housing and shops.

Zweshi

Sorry guys but back then it wasn't going into Space.. It was going to CP or Club Neverdie.. Space didn't exist.

They could have accomplished the same with having a two-way TP and had the same effect. :eyecrazy:

I think I paid about 15k ped for my hanger. I am not interested in paying 50-100k to do what I used to do for 15k.
Did you not get a ship for free?

I was not really around for this era of the game, but i think this is one of those things that got lost, not just in MA but in the gaming industry as a whole. A spacecraft launching from a fixed location building owned by a player is so magical that its almost ridiculous, talk about interactivity with the world itself.

But nowadays it feels like no game out there(that is a MMO) have any connection to its own world, instead the world is represented by a non interactive scenery and "quest text". In that sense i guess we Entropians are lucky, we still have housing and shops.

Zweshi

Yes, it does seem disconnected. There are still hangers out there, I wonder if our new community rep can tell us if there are actually any plans for them in the future?

Sorry guys but back then it wasn't going into Space.. It was going to CP or Club Neverdie.. Space didn't exist.

They could have accomplished the same with having a two-way TP and had the same effect. :eyecrazy:

CP and CND were "in space" but your right, my space ship was just a fancy TP, and I liked it. As I have said, I would much prefer another tp between locations than the current charlie foxtrot called space that we have now.

Did you not get a ship for free?

Yes, it was such a deal, I bought the hanger and got the ship/tp free! :)

Old space was the best.

Blasting off to CND (and being on CND) for the first time was my single most unique and exciting experience in EU since 2004 till now.

Now space just feels like an annoying arcade mini-game that we are forced to play in order to play EU...

Old space was the best.

Blasting off to CND (and being on CND) for the first time was my single most unique and exciting experience in EU since 2004 till now.

Now space just feels like an annoying arcade mini-game that we are forced to play in order to play EU...

What is so sad about space now is the pirates. Pirates in any other game are just simply pirates for the title with no real harm done. Whereas in EU pirates are just as the title describes of them in real life. When I go to space and get shot down, I pity them. But I guess as long as we got them here in game and not playing out in the real world then I guess I'll pay a little to keep us safe.

Old space was the best.

I enjoyed it every time I did it, although it was a short limited experience, it was still pretty cool :)

What is so sad about space now is the pirates. Pirates in any other game are just simply pirates for the title with no real harm done. Whereas in EU pirates are just as the title describes of them in real life. When I go to space and get shot down, I pity them. But I guess as long as we got them here in game and not playing out in the real world then I guess I'll pay a little to keep us safe.

When I have gone into space, which is very infrequent, I make sure not to carry anything, so they were not going to get anything from me but a waste of their ped shooting me down. I don't really care about pirates. I think its pretty lame way to play the game where they sit for hours camping a space station and wait for someone to attempt to fly out and ambush them. They get the jump and 100% of the time I have no defense or offense and just die. Oh Boy, what fun! What I care about is the friction they add to my game play experience. It's bad enough that MA makes me spend 30+ minutes doing jack shit while I waste my time going from point a to point b, but now I have to go through the process of getting shot down just about every time I try to do it, which just adds more hassle and annoyance to the whole game play experience. Who the fuck wants to play a game and be forced to do something that is not fun in order to play the game? And if I want to go the other warp route, then I have to coordinate with some other player and go through that whole time wasting routine, which I would prefer not to do. Not that they aren't nice, and efficient, in what they do, its just not efficient enough and its just not something I do not want to have to be forced to do. My current attitude about the whole space thing right now is FUCK SPACE and the pony it rode in on! :cussing:

I don't care so much about pirates! I count it as a necessary "bad" obligation to face 'em once in a while. A necessity to my Entropia life. I complained many times through here about the whole thing anyway.
In the bottom line, they didn't earn anything from me ever and they not going to, the thing they going to get is waist of time and PED :)
But I love to travel and spend time in space anyway. I don't see it as waist of my time , it's a trip from one world to another and that's add realism. Even as it is now, I love it

I don't care so much about pirates! I count it as a necessary "bad" obligation to face 'em once in a while. A necessity to my Entropia life. I complained many times through here about the whole thing anyway.
In the bottom line, they didn't earn anything from me ever and they not going to, the thing they going to get is waist of time and PED :)
But I love to travel and spend time in space anyway. I don't see it as waist of my time , it's a trip from one world to another and that's add realism. Even as it is now, I love it

Like my grandma said, it takes all kinds to make up the world. I am happy for you that you enjoy it. I know some people like it. That's great. I think it had a lot of potential, but it has been a disappointment to me. 5 years and this is all we have? Such a waste imo.

Too make it clear, you got a Privateer for free ? I did not cost any 50-100K when they changed the system?:p
I

No, just to be clear, I sold my hanger in 2006. I didn't get a free privateer. I am not inclined to buy one either. I was just remembering space at that time, the time I enjoyed it. When it was really not space, but just a fancy tp that blasted you off to another land area in a few minutes time.

No, just to be clear, I sold my hanger in 2006. I didn't get a free privateer. I am not inclined to buy one either. I was just remembering space at that time, the time I enjoyed it. When it was really not space, but just a fancy tp that blasted you off to another land area in a few minutes time.

Well, you can now do the same round trip that would have cost 100 ped of oil in the old days for 3-4 ped in a quad.

Or you can fly up in your Quad and TP down to Caly for the same 7 ped fee while remembering the old times. :smoke:

Well, at the same time every player can buy small ships pretty cheap and have the freedom to travel when they want. It's hard for me to see anything bad about the new system compared to the old one, the only thing I could agree on is that maybe they should shorted the travel-time a bit, maybe by half.

Well, you can now do the same round trip that would have cost 100 ped of oil in the old days for 3-4 ped in a quad.

Or you can fly up in your Quad and TP down to Caly for the same 7 ped fee while remembering the old times. :smoke:

Obviously cost is not my issue. Time is my issue. Flying in a quad takes too long, getting shot down 99% of the time which delays me more just adds to the friction and wastes my time, see the common idea here? And yes, I take the tp down every time and fondly remember the time before "Quads".

Well, at the same time every player can buy small ships pretty cheap and have the freedom to travel when they want. It's hard for me to see anything bad about the new system compared to the old one, the only thing I could agree on is that maybe they should shorted the travel-time a bit, maybe by half.

Hey, I am happy players on a budget can fly for 3-4 ped in a quad if they want to. I am glad they have that option. I like options. I want the option not to. I want the option to shorten my travel time between planets to the amount of time it takes me to TP somewhere removing the time wasting friction that pvp space created.

Hey, I am happy players on a budget can fly for 3-4 ped in a quad if they want to. I am glad they have that option. I like options. I want the option not to. I want the option to shorten my travel time between planets to the amount of time it takes me to TP somewhere removing the time wasting friction that pvp space created.

The point of having planets it that should be a bit separate, if it's too easy and to fast you have no separation. In the old system you did not have any planets so you did not have the need to have a separation. You have not lost anything because space-travel between planet did not exist.

The point of having planets it that should be a bit separate, if it's too easy and to fast you have no separation. In the old system you did not have any planets so you did not have the need to have a separation. You have not lost anything because space-travel between planet did not exist.

If you like it, that's great, go fly around in space for hour on end, I don't care, do what you want to do. I think the idea of "serpation" is a bunch of bull shit. Why the hell should I slow my game down? I only have so much time to play. I'm not interested in this concept of slowing it down. I am interested in speeding it up. As far as I am concerned its just another land area in the game with a different theme and mobs. I'm not forced to fly around for a half an hour to go from one LA to another on Amethera, that would be stupid. Nobody would play that game, why do you think there are more tps on amerthera now than when it first opened up? I feel the same way about the "space" and "planets." I want to walk into a tp and pick a planet then pick the LA or town I want to tp to that location and get busy. Anything else is stupid drag on my productivity. Space is a waste of my time.

If you like it, that's great, go fly around in space for hour on end, I don't care, do what you want to do. I think the idea of "serpation" is a bunch of bull shit. Why the hell should I slow my game down?

Just stay on one planet, problems solved......
I think the separation is a good think, it helps to create the feeling of separate planets. If you could just jump in to a TP and be on an other planet you loose that feeling. Same players would be all over the place. Same miners, hunters and craters could dominated on all planets. I don't say they still can't do that, but it's harder with a space separating them.

Of coerce it's has the negative effect of long time flying between planets that is a bit annoying when you need to go between the planets, and as I said earlier, I think they could half the time for the travel, let's say 15-20 Min between Calypso-Arkadia could be enough and still have the "separation effect".

Just stay on one planet, problems solved......
I think the separation is a good think, it helps to create the feeling of separate planets. If you could just jump in to a TP and be on an other planet you loose that feeling. Same players would be all over the place. Same miners, hunters and craters could dominated on all planets. I don't say they still can't do that, but it's harder with a space separating them.

Of coerce it's has the negative effect of long time flying between planets that is a bit annoying when you need to go between the planets, and as I said earlier, I think they could half the time for the travel, let's say 15-20 Min between Calypso-Arkadia could be enough and still have the "separation effect".

For the most part, I have stayed on one planet. I visited ark and rocktopia when they opened up and never wen't back until I recently wanted to get my divine chip, and then flying around to get that done reinforced in my mind how stupid the whole thing is. I know there are others who want one but refuse to subject themselves to that insanity. Some bought one from someone else, others still don't have one. Eventually I will run out of missions on calypso and will have to migrate and it will be then on the planets with weak economies that I will be forced to traverse "space" on a regular basis to sell mu loot, that is, if there is any mu loot to be had buy that is another issue, in any case that will again re-enforce my disdain for the whole thing.

The separation idea is a failed construct, in the same post you are saying you are philosophically for it and practically against it. Why bring it down to only 15 mins, why not 10, or 5 or 1? The fact that I can hop in a tp and get from one place to another in under a minute indicates to me that there is a separation between places. I don't need it to be 30 minutes or 15 minutes to remind me of that. Most of those players that hop around have a ship to warp or have a society to warp them or long standing relationships that allow them to warp very easily they are going to cherry pick no matter what, separation does nothing to stop that now. I would grant that it is not hard to find a warp if you need one. But I still think its unnecessary and unwelcomed friction. I think we can agree to disagree on the subject.

The separation idea is a failed construct, in the same post you are saying you are philosophically for it and practically against it. Why bring it down to only 15 mins, why not 10, or 5 or 1? The fact that I can hop in a tp and get from one place to another in under a minute indicates to me that there is a separation between places. I don't need it to be 30 minutes or 15 minutes to remind me of that

If you instantly can transfer from one planet to an other planet, there is practically not much separation for the player. The whole point is to delay and/or have a cost connected to the transfer, to limit the free movement between the planets. I think 15-20 min is long enough to get this limitation of the free movement, but if it's much shorter than that I think the limitation of the free movement will be too little.

If you instantly can transfer from one planet to an other planet, there is practically not much separation for the player. The whole point is to delay and/or have a cost connected to the transfer, to limit the free movement between the planets. I think 15-20 min is long enough to get this limitation of the free movement, but if it's much shorter than that I think the limitation of the free movement will be too little.

Ya, I get it, and like I wrote before, I think its bull shit. And like I also wrote, we can agree to disagree to keep from typing back and forth since we are not likely to convince each other othewise :)

Back