Technical problem with dual monitor

DoA

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Daughter of Anarchy
I kinda gave up on managing to solve that, but I thought that asking for help can never hurt, even if it's just about a long shot.

Well, here's the problem: I got a new monitor (well, not new, but just another monitor - lol), so now that I have two monitors I thought that maybe i can manage to put them both at use, since my videocard (Nvidia GT 430), while ancient, at least theoretically should support multi display.

It has three connectors - one HDMI, one DVI and one VGA, while the monitors have the following connectors: first monitor has both DVI and VGA ports, second one has only VGA port (so none has HDMI). Each display works just fine if connected alone (so monitor 1 on DVI - works, monitor 1 on VGA - works, monitor 2 on VGA - works), however, when placed together, they simply don't work (the second monitor, which is connected by VGA, never seems to receive any signal and the first monitor gets a weird looking mouse cursor, then one second later it loses signal too; in the mean time the computer is still responsive, although sluggish, and if I open a new window - for example hit the start button, the first monitor lights back for one second and then off again).

OS is Windows 10, with latest stable Nvidia drivers downloaded from their site; fresh reinstall of the OS, so no bloatware software or anything.

I googled a bit myself and apparently I'm not the only one that faced this; there were a lot of people that reported that they only managed to make dual monitor work only if using DVI + HDMI ports combination, not also the VGA one; they even reported a similar bugging behavior as in my case.

Sooo... anyone has any idea that might help please? :)

Later edit:

Apparently, while this happens, the graphics driver "stops working and has to be restarted" since, after I disconnected the second monitor, I got all these error messages:

JaVSuL4.jpg

Last edited:
I kinda gave up on managing to solve that, but I thought that asking for help can never hurt, even if it's just about a long shot.

Well, here's the problem: I got a new monitor (well, not new, but just another monitor - lol), so now that I have two monitors I thought that maybe i can manage to put them both at use, since my videocard (Nvidia GT 430), while ancient, at least theoretically should support multi display.

It has three connectors - one HDMI, one DVI and one VGA, while the monitors have the following connectors: first monitor has both DVI and VGA ports, second one has only VGA port (so none has HDMI). Each display works just fine if connected alone (so monitor 1 on DVI - works, monitor 1 on VGA - works, monitor 2 on VGA - works), however, when placed together, they simply don't work (the second monitor, which is connected by VGA, never seems to receive any signal and the first monitor gets a weird looking mouse cursor, then one second later it loses signal too; in the mean time the computer is still responsive, although sluggish, and if I open a new window - for example hit the start button, the first monitor lights back for one second and then off again).

OS is Windows 10, with latest stable Nvidia drivers downloaded from their site; fresh reinstall of the OS, so no bloatware software or anything.

I googled a bit myself and apparently I'm not the only one that faced this; there were a lot of people that reported that they only managed to make dual monitor work only if using DVI + HDMI ports combination, not also the VGA one; they even reported a similar bugging behavior as in my case.

Sooo... anyone has any idea that might help please? :)

are you extending or duplicating your desktop (press windows key + P to toggle through these options)? can you confirm that no signal is being received? Have you right clicked on your desktop, went into display settings and clicked identify?

are you extending or duplicating your desktop (press windows key + P to toggle through these options)? can you confirm that no signal is being received? Have you right clicked on your desktop, went into display settings and clicked identify?

Initially I had it set on "pc screen only" (considered it the "safe" option, planned to change after I connect second display); I did however tried (with win+P) all other options without any change.

The second monitor displays "no signal or cable connected" so yeah, I think I can safely presume it doesn't receive any signal. :p

Since the first monitor also dies (well it stays on for one second, then goes off 'till new window is open for another second, then goes off again) as soon as I connect the second monitor is not like I can do any clickings (so only way to issue any commands would be to use keyboard combinations).

Apparently, while this happens, the graphics driver "stops working and has to be restarted" since, after I disconnected the second monitor, I got all these error messages:

JaVSuL4.jpg

Last edited:
I think I got a dell 24" lying around with HDMI and dvi input. Pay for shipping and it's yours :p but isn't screens so cheap now that you can get something decent for 60-70$?

Reactions: DoA
I think I got a dell 24" lying around with HDMI and dvi input. Pay for shipping and it's yours :p but isn't screens so cheap now that you can get something decent for 60-70$?

"Cheap" has different meaning for different countries/people.

And about your offer, thank you a lot for it and would sure sound great, but I don't want to take advantage of people (especially not of a nice person that made such an offer in the first place), so I think I should better pass on it, and instead try to see if I can manage to make it work with what I have. :)

Oh and it might look like I posted that just because of a female in the picture but I assume you are a dude like most others :D

Well the monitor will prolly be thrown away anyways so you are not taking advantage of anyone. It's only 1920x1200 and 5-6years old so it's not state of the art but it has the inputs you need. I assume that the cost to ship it is close to the cost for a new one tho so not sure it's worth it for you ^^ If anyone in Norway needs one I'll give the same offer there if doa don't want it.

(Note to Admins: Links included in this post are just examples of the parts needed. Please leave them as their removal with just make DOA's job harder).

HDMI to DVI Adapter - First Monitor

DVI to VGA Adapter - Second Monitor

• Hook a HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the Card and then to the Adapter on the First Monitor.
  • Hook the Second Adapter to the DVI port of your card and then a VGA Cable to the Second Monitor.

should be about $10 in adapter parts to make it work unless you have them around the house.

I used double screens for a while now
atm got hmdi and dvi
i had dvi and vga too

all i had to do is run adapters
you tried to right click > display settings > identify display?
Something simple i know, but worked for me when i plugged the hdmi i bought

I had the same problem as you did with HDMI and VGA. There are two different split screen option sections.

I got mine to work using a different option section

Just to add, I have an nvidia geforce 210 (shh don't tell anyone) and it has run my two monitors in a DVI/VGA configuration for years.

It also has an HDMI port, so I would be mighty surprised if yours can't. Since this configuration is common/popular for along time, I think you would find clear mention somewhere on the internet (or even from Nvidia) that it is unsupported.

Are you still using drivers from a disk or do you ahve the latest unified drivers?

Make and model of the 2 monitors would be helpful in this post. A quick google on this reveals that GT430 do not support monitor mix. Both monitors needs to be either of the same make and model, OR have the same specifications if they are different brands.

Make and model of the 2 monitors would be helpful in this post. A quick google on this reveals that GT430 do not support monitor mix. Both monitors needs to be either of the same make and model, OR have the same specifications if they are different brands.

So if they are different I'm out of luck? Even if doing that adaptors thing someone else suggested before?

First monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster, 1280x1024 resolution; second monitor is a Horizon (don't see anything else), 1024x768 resolution.

So if they are different I'm out of luck? Even if doing that adaptors thing someone else suggested before?

First monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster, 1280x1024 resolution; second monitor is a Horizon (don't see anything else), 1024x768 resolution.

oh. yeah you might need a DVI to VGA adapter. Then you can use VGA and VGA.

My best bet would be to get a "DVI-I to VGA adapter" for the DVI port, and use two VGA ports. This is really old legacy stuff, but so are your monitors.

2nd bet would be to use HDMI and DVI port, but there are dragons. Some older 1st gen DVI monitors doesn't like a HDMI signal, and some DVI drivers doesn't properly interrogate the monitors to find if its able to do HDMI, so they just send HDMI.

Technical alert:A HDMI signal is much compatible with DVI, but it has added functionality that makes the older DVI receivers unable to receive. The HDMI standards tell developers to always send DVI unless a CEA block is present in the monitor EDID. The EDID is data present in the monitors that the source (PC) can read, even if the monitor is not powered.

Went with both PC and monitors to a local computer repairing store and tested there (found a really nice guy to help me there)

My best bet would be to get a "DVI-I to VGA adapter" for the DVI port, and use two VGA ports. This is really old legacy stuff, but so are your monitors.

Didn't worked. :(

HDMI to DVI Adapter - First Monitor

DVI to VGA Adapter - Second Monitor

Hook a HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the Card and then to the Adapter on the First Monitor.
Hook the Second Adapter to the DVI port of your card and then a VGA Cable to the Second Monitor.​

should be about $10 in adapter parts to make it work unless you have them around the house.

It worked.

Also it worked with first monitor on normal DVI to DVI cable and second one using a HDMI to VGA adaptor (so having to buy only one adaptor).

It seems that the only thing that really matter was to have cables leaving from HDMI and DVI ports; didn't really mattered what connectors they go through, just that none of the cables shouldn't leave from the VGA port.

Store price for said adaptor was quite high though (about $30) so didn't bought it, but found one (used I think, but who cares) for $5 on e-bay including shipping costs, so ordered that one and I'm now waiting for it to arrive.

Since this was solved, it can be closed now; thank you a lot to everyone that helped me with ideas! :D

. Both monitors needs to be either of the same make and model, OR have the same specifications if they are different brands.

No.... (Too short)

They may state this in the Forums but it doesn't agree with my experience. The Monitors would only need to be the same (or close) if you were trying to span a desktop over several Monitors to make one big monitor.

If you don't mind them being separate entities, different monitors should work fine.

It's no different to when a projector is plugged into a laptop, when mirroring the first screens output different resolutions could cause the higher resolution monitor to drop down to the same resolution as the lower.

When using extended desktop this doesn't apply as the settings are unique to each monitor. The only real difficulty would be the refresh rate for old monitors that's usually 60Hz. I know we've got a couple of machines set here with pairs of monitors of different sizes and they're working ok. At most you might find that the smaller will emulate the size of the larger by either scaling or allowing the screen to scroll.

Back