Privateers & Motherships

krazykat

Prowler
Cassandra Red Savage
I am interested in arriving at a method of calculating a fair price for privateers and motherships. This is not a simple matter due to the differing Structural Integrity of the ships, so I'd like to divide the question into two.

First. What would be price of a ship with only the basic S.I. which is 500 per section. (Two sections for a privateer and four for a mothership) added to this base price would be: Second. What would be the added value of the S.I. on the basis of value added per 1000 S.I. I realise that this will not be a an easy or exact figure to arrive at because of the varying prices of the materials used in upgrading but there are plenty of experienced people on this forum who should be able to arrive at an average figure for this.

This is a 'political' question, anyone who doesnt own one will say that its worth 'less', everyone who does own one will say that they are worth 'more'.
Add to this the fact that we are still waiting since 5 years for space development and still have a 'recent' promise from mindark to bring transport missions and further space updates still this year.
Add to this that equus (which are rdy to use spacecrafts with ul warp and no further upgrades needed) were sold by mindark for 50kped and question yourself if mindark perceives equus more valueable then non-upgraded privateers or if that was an indication 'suggesting' an increase in value for when mindark finally implements transport missions.

I will not state a fixed price here, because even if i dont own a privateer i have friends who do and it wouldnt be fair to push perceived prices in any direction with a public statement.

Another thing is structural integrity upgrades, these dont come cheap and do actually vary alot in value as the gold mu goes up or down and also depending on who is applying the upgrades (see my signature for more info).
Of course especially with huge upgrades it is fair to assume that a low gold mu wouldnt stay low if someone tried purchasing that much gold to perform a recent upgrade - so one has to consider some added value for readily available upgrades.

Motherships are much rarer then privateers and those who own one are usually not in need for quick money, which makes their prices pretty much a big variable depending on negotiations and expectations.

None of the ship values can be compared to ROI of CLD's/LA's/etc. as the potential roi and the actual roi are very much depending on the respective owners vision/skill/ambition/time and 'willingness' to play by the EULA with or without alternate accounts.

Agree with JBK variable market prices and rumors that do not materialize make this hard to figure out.
Even base price with no added S.I. can vary depending on what rumors announcements have been made.

Would not mind people suggesting what they think current market is for basic ships with no added S.I. and state if they are owner or potential buyer.

#space_flight = connecting travelers with space service providers

This is a 'political' question, anyone who doesnt own one will say that its worth 'less', everyone who does own one will say that they are worth 'more'.
None of the ship values can be compared to ROI of CLD's/LA's/etc. as the potential roi and the actual roi are very much depending on the respective owners vision/skill/ambition/time and 'willingness' to play by the EULA with or without alternate accounts.

Very nice post John! :)
I try and be as objective as possible, so the first thing for me to sort out in my own mind is whether or not I have an ownership bias if I own something. An interesting thought experiment is what price I would think is fair if I wanted to buy my first of something or my second/third etc of something.

Then, as John point out, the actual roi will depend much more on the owner's parameters when it comes to spaceships. A reasonable value would thus be on the higher side of a range if demand by the right sort of player is higher than the supply. The value is not lowered by whatever the average player is - it depends on who is available for buying. If you want to buy a spaceship this is very relevant - how do you compare to others as a potential spaceship owner?

Then there are the development cycles MA goes through. MA usually do something in one area then ignore it more or less for years. We have all experienced that even a change considered small by MA (whether by bug or design) can have a large effect on attractiveness/mu (either way). Space is now overdue for a change even by MA 'standards', especially as changes have been specifically promised (e.g. transport missions).

I think these uncertainties completely swamp any evaluations made by considering original investments and historical figures. Also, the sort of crews you might get also depends on the directions EU takes as a whole, and the attractiveness (or not) of repairing/travelling around.

My personal hunch is that having a hangar to fly in and out of will be more relevant in the future than now, but if a new ship type includes hangar access... well... that may also affect relative values, so I simply have no idea about valuations right now.

Sorry for the long post without giving a value range, but like John's post, I hope this is helpful :)

However difficult to sort out price people are still buying and selling. So if buyers and sellers want to weigh in on this thread I would welcome it. I am not in market to buy or sell but am still curious about it.

#space_flight = connecting travelers with space service providers

The price of Privateers have floated around 40-45KPed at SI 500 since they were released.
As JBK states, the variable is the SI. As gold is the preferred method of upgrade this cost is hugely influenced by the market value and the skill of the avatar applying the gold for the upgrade.

I looked at all the average ranges of SI increase when I would apply 100 gold bars. The number I came to was 0.625Ped per unit of SI over 500.

EG:
1. Privateer SI 1000 = 40KPed + 312.5Ped
2. Privateer SI 20000 = 40KPed + 12187.5Ped
3. Privateer SI 40000 = 40KPed + 24687.5Ped
4. Privateer SI 60000 = 40KPed + 37187.5Ped

Why is SI important? It determines how long you last against pirates. A standard QUAD has SI 500 and you know how quick that vanishes. An investment in SI secures your ship, protects your passengers assets.

When the Galactic transport missions are released, and you have to safely transport crates of varying values for rewards, SI will have a huge impact on how you do this. Gold will also skyrocket at that point as well.

Cheers
Bjorn

When the Galactic transport missions are released, and you have to safely transport crates of varying values for rewards, SI will have a huge impact on how you do this. Gold will also skyrocket at that point as well.

(goldfoil hat on)
Considering that MA, who had been tight with gold for two years or so, recently let several towers happen, that moment might be drawing close.
(goldfoil hat off)
Or it's just dynamic.

Gold will also skyrocket at that point as well.

Pro tip right there, if you like your gold below 200% buy it before that update ;).

Gold has definitely gotten cheaper and it will most likely stay that way unless MA changes the distribution.

It's just too easy to find now. Even if there is a spike in demand, a few more towers will happen and the prices will crash back down.

Back