Calypso Explorer Contest

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
The Zoological Institute of Calypso needs to resurvey the biological life on the Continent of Eudoria. As a result, they are handing out rewards to private survey contractors with the best bio-life maps.

Task:
Make a Creature Location Map of Eudoria on Planet Calypso!
You can make your own map or use the Planet Calypso Eudoria Map available at!http://www.planetcalypso.com/news/pages/2016/07/01/3400/index.xml
There is a limit of one entry per participant. The top 3 entries will be selected based on accurate representation of creature locations, maturity, level of detail, usability, creativity and overall aesthetics.

Entry Period:
The contest starts Wednesday, June 29 and ends on Thursday, September 29, 23.59 UTC.

How to Enter:
To take part in the contest send your full avatar name and your Creature Location Map before the submission deadline to: competition@entropiauniverse.com

Prizes:
  • 1st: Frontier Vehicle (L), Colonists Standard Issue Jumpsuit (Khaki Color) & Chikara InvestaFoe ES500
  • 2nd: Frontier Vehicle (L) & Chikara InvestaFoe ES500
  • 3rd: Frontier Vehicle (L) & Chikara InvestaFoe ES400

Rules and Notes:
  • Make your own map or use the Planet Calypso Eudoria Map! available at! http://www.planetcalypso.com/news/pages/2016/07/01/3400/index.xml
  • Image editing is allowed (e.g. using Photoshop, Gimp etc.)
  • Be sure to include your full Entropia Universe avatar name in the submission email
  • Limit of one entry per avatar account
  • Each attached image should be no larger than 8 megabytes
  • Files should be non-animated, and in common format, e.g. .jpeg, .png or .gif
  • Minimum image resolution - 2048x2048
  • Participants agree that the submitted image and the participant’s full avatar name may be used by MindArk for marketing purposes related to Entropia Universe

Eudoria Map for Download:
EudoriaOverview.png

Originally Posted Here

Sounds fun but you've given a 3 month deadline.

MA - you are aware how often you change your spawns, right?

Great contest and it might end us up with an offically supported mob map in future :)

Anyone has stats for Frontier vehicle ?

please automatically disqualify all entries that refer to "mobs", which is an atrocious misuse of that word

please automatically disqualify all entries that refer to "mobs", which is an atrocious misuse of that word

what would you prefer? its been mobs for as long as ive been here so its unlikely to change. didn't it stand for mobile object or something strange

:acid:I like MOBS :acid:

woohooo, more scanners.
On a serious note, does anyone know how much time goes into creating such a map?
A scanner & some L vehicle as reward.. F**** that.

woohooo, more scanners.
On a serious note, does anyone know how much time goes into creating such a map?
This :) Would have to be a pretty darn good vehicle! :wise:

The Zoological Institute of Calypso needs to resurvey the biological life on the Continent of Eudoria. As a result, they are handing out rewards to private survey contractors with the best bio-life maps.
Task:
Make a Creature Location Map of Eudoria on Planet Calypso!

Cool event!

For me there is just one Catch: pvp3... Besides from jumping in once or twice, I haven't been in there since radar got turned off. Too creepy for me lol.

Just don't have loot? :eyecrazy:

Each time you get shot by someone it COSTs you 5 ped (which goes to the pk ammo loot pool)..

Sure, I could jump into there for the cause a few times, but if I get killed more than say 3 times I would pull myself out of there. Then it depends if I was able to make a complete map or not.

As far as I remember, it was possible to use TP-chips in there; but vehicles got disabled (possibly to prevent miners from recalling finds in pvp4, or if it was to prevent people from fleeing in pitbull)(the likely cause that "T" got disabled in space and other lootable pvp from within a vehicle).

Last edited:
I finished one for RT teleports and working on mobs, so I can tell it is very difficult if you want to be serious and accurate and to make a good designed map.
Making such a map for Eudoria need long of time and effort. Maybe help from friends also to confirming the data also will be usefull. It's a great challenge! Good luck to anyone who will try.

woohooo, more scanners.

Good thing we have hundreds upon hundreds of players that spend 5-6 hours a day auto-clicking their sweat tool and/or staring at the ground for fruit. This gives them something far more interesting to do.

Not every event needs to push out more UL gear destroying what little is left of our economy. A competition can just be a competition. Join for the sake of competing, for fun, and to create something that improves your favorite virtual universe. Or don't.

I've been complaining about lack of newbie-friendly events since forever. This isn't exactly what I expected, but it's something. Hope MA keeps them coming!

Nice contest, which the result may be helpfull to every Calypso player, if spawn aren't changed or if MA try to maintain the map themselves.
However i bet that if you used that Frontier (L) vehicule to map Calypso, it would have decayed long before you were done.

Each time you get shot by someone it COSTs you 5 ped (which goes to the pk ammo loot pool)..

Sure, I could jump into there for the cause a few times, but if I get killed more than say 3 times I would pull myself out of there. Then it depends if I was able to make a complete map or not.

As far as I remember, it was possible to use TP-chips in there; but vehicles got disabled (possibly to prevent miners from recalling finds in pvp4, or if it was to prevent people from fleeing in pitbull)(the likely cause that "T" got disabled in space and other lootable pvp from within a vehicle).

RIP being able to run and T at the same time :laugh:

RIP being able to run and T at the same time :laugh:

Finished a zig-zag walkathon on west side yesterday (The MegaVolt to Port Atlantis), made the half of it running and pray chased from over 50-60 armax's and thank God when some atrax's came to the herd the sea coast was near!!!! Drowned more than 70-80 mobs at once :laugh:
But I managed to come in Port Atlantis safe and well!!!! No T or revival needed

Anyone know if submissions were made for this contest? A mob map would be amazing :)

woohooo, more scanners.

The prizes do seem a little light. You have to wonder if they are even aware of or remember what happened to the scanner market.

So...

MA wants ALL of us to spend days (yes, it takes days to map all this), decaying TP chip, oil, etc. moving ALL over Eudoria mapping out every single spawn...

Becasue they most likely lost track of it themselves.

So...

MA wants ALL of us to spend days (yes, it takes days to map all this), decaying TP chip, oil, etc. moving ALL over Eudoria mapping out every single spawn...

Becasue they most likely lost track of it themselves.

Cynical much?

I see people complain all the time about how they miss being a newbie and exploring Calyspo, back when grabbing all the TPs felt exciting and refreshing.

This gives newbies an extra incentive to do just that, while also getting something useful done for the community.

Is the average depositing player going to participate? Probably not.

But this is something new and potentially exciting for newer players (which Mindark has clearly shifted their focus towards now more than ever).

Do we not want new players to stick around and have fun in EU? What am I missing?

Had an idea a few months ago to map out Eudoria (since Entropedia mob spawn maps are a bit busted and highly inaccurate). But then did some calculations...

Eudoria is roughly 31km x 23.5km in plot. If you want to make an accurate map, you need to travel 400m at a time, side to side, and note down the mobs at every spot (since radar range for mobs is around 200m in every direction).
This results in ~6000 points you have to note down. Flying 400m with a sleipnir and quickly noting down all the mobs for 1 point takes ~2 min if there are multiple mobs with various maturities, sometimes less if an area is empty, so let's say it's 1 min on average. That's 100 hours right there if you want an accurate map. But there are problems with this:

1) Some mobs have large spawn areas with a very small density (Vanguards in some zones, Divine mobs) so you're never sure you got the right spawn zone for them.

2) Hunters. If someone is hunting in the area and they're hunting a low spawn mob, you might not even notice them during your survey.

3) Underwater mobs. Currently there is a bug that makes underwater mobs spawn next to the ocean floor, so you might not notice them when flying above.

4) A good way to create the map. How do we make it ? It can't be all the spawns on 1 map, because it would result in a clusterf%$k. Can't be a new map for every mob because we have around 140 different mobs on Calypso. So the best way to do it is make an interactive map where you can select which mob spawns shows up on the map. But this takes a lot of work.

5) Instance spawns. Caves, underground robot instances, wave spawn areas like the Sand King. How should those be marked ?

So overall, to make a high quality, interactive map, it would take ~200 hours (noting down spawns, formating the results based on mob type, maturity, placing accurate "borders" around the spawn dots), 50 ped Sleipnir fuel, frustration when spawns change over the months (Hello, Eomons). And for this you get an ES500 worth 500 ped, a pair of clothes worth ~20 ped, a limited car that can't enter lootable PvP so it doesn't have much of an advantage over other cars unless it looks awesome, so let's say it looks amazing and is worth 500 ped for a total of a 1020 ped prize.

Than comes down to 5 ped / hour. So it's worth it for sweaters, but if you have the patience and know-how on making interactive mob spawn maps, you can probably find a better paying activity.

Sorry for the long post, just a bit confused at how some people think this will take a day to make.

http://imgur.com/C0xzUqQ

also there is allready a little older map which needs rework but you allready can see that this is a fuckton of work. even if you use this and verify / change all spawns it will need a week of work or so.

if the vehicle would be at least UL then id consider it worth it but a useless scanner and a useless limited vehicle and cloths... well... not worth the time imo

We know ND will win and the other 2 candidates will loose :laugh:

you are an extremist sir :laugh:

to the topic....I think this must be a team work more than a single avatar job
or we can do the best to the artistic side and leave accuracy aside :wise:

You have absolute no clue how "working" the game.. there is no any kind of loot pool ..... dear god

I have made a mob map in past, and it was an impressive work, I didn't really expected when I begun...

I remember in the old times the famous Terminator event, where the partecipants had to make a video with no need to work on sound since we had to use music requested from MA.

Honestly I'm not sure which event requests more work, for sure the prizes of today event are 1/200 of the worth compared to the old times ones...

This sux?

oooh yeah it does :D

I am not going to do this! Oh No not me :)

Back