Question: Different api possible?

Salo

Guardian
Society
Rotary International Entertainment
Salonga Salo Calypso
Do you think this game will ever support another api like i.e Vulkan or will it stay with Dx ?

MA bought cryengine 2(directx10), which lack open GL support. Crytek switched back to both directx and openGL for cryengine3. I don't know if they got that updated.
As long as they can't exploit all features cryengine 2 can offer, nothing justifies to diversify/switch technologies.

They will if it makes sense financially to do so, right now i see no reason why they would need to support a secondary api since windows based systems account for roughly 90% of the market.

Keep in mind though that graphics api's and things of that nature operate on a completely different and slower time scale then consumer electronics/software. Will probably take years before we see any meaningful level of adoption of Vulkan and i would not consider that bad.

Seriously?

Do you recall the previous "joyous" transition period?

You really want them to try to jump into another format?

Another map.

Another 1/2 functions in game not working.

Another...

Sorry, I just can't.

Seriously?

Do you recall the previous "joyous" transition period?

You really want them to try to jump into another format?

Another map.

Another 1/2 functions in game not working.

Another...

Sorry, I just can't.

I'm still waiting for them to say they made a mistake and roll it all back :laugh:

MA bought cryengine 2(directx10), which lack open GL support. Crytek switched back to both directx and openGL for cryengine3. I don't know if they got that updated.
As long as they can't exploit all features cryengine 2 can offer, nothing justifies to diversify/switch technologies.

I thought it was still directx9? Think they could go up to 10 or 11 without much trouble...

Not worth it as the game looks "good enough" i.e. - the graphics engine is not the limiting factor here (see HUD, textures, stability, netcode, gameplay, storyline, canon, etc).

graphics don't really bother me, they are ok, just the animations are a little wooden, i use a GTX 970 and run the game on just high to avoid unoptimised frame rates and to prolong my GPU and energy bill

They will if it makes sense financially to do so, right now i see no reason why they would need to support a secondary api since windows based systems account for roughly 90% of the market.

Keep in mind though that graphics api's and things of that nature operate on a completely different and slower time scale then consumer electronics/software. Will probably take years before we see any meaningful level of adoption of Vulkan and i would not consider that bad.

There are number of reasons why Vulkan (still at it's infancy) is better than dX or oGL.
Just to mention couple big ones, it have very well optimized CPU usage and it is truly cross platform.

So EU could be played more efficiently on older PCs, along Linux and Apple machines... that is huge reason IMO.

Also, I think that Vulkan games will spring up much faster than your predicted "years", mainly because Valve is onboard and along other big players, they are pushing towards Vulkan usage.

There are number of reasons why Vulkan (still at it's infancy) is better than dX or oGL.
Just to mention couple big ones, it have very well optimized CPU usage and it is truly cross platform.

So EU could be played more efficiently on older PCs, along Linux and Apple machines... that is huge reason IMO.

Also, I think that Vulkan games will spring up much faster than your predicted "years", mainly because Valve is onboard and along other big players, they are pushing towards Vulkan usage.

CPU usage for normal day to day gaming is really not a issue anymore, you can run Entropia on max settings without bottle necking on a 5 year old core i5 which you can probably buy of craigslist for less then 50bucks. So although less CPU usage looks excellent on paper it wont help unless you are doing rendering work.

As far as operating system support i really dont think you can find a market analyst alive that will with a straight face tell you that the amount of dev time/support for a secondary OS will yield a net benefit for a company the size of Mindark. The main company pushing for linux support is Valve and they have there own agenda in doing so and more money then a average sized country to push that forward.

Im not arguing that Dx is better or worse i largely think thats irrelevant at this point, the question in my mind is purely based on if its worth it for them to spend the resources to adopt a new api. Or in other words will the adoption of Vulkan bring in enough revenue to justify said adoption at this stage, i think the answer to that question is no looking at the size of the gaming market on the two secondary OS's and CPU performance ceilings which are the two main benefits of Vulkan.

Cheers!
Zweshi

Back