Take care of your privacy

Status
I like cake.

PS: I don't know who anyone is, well except 2-3 people muahaha.

Last edited:
I could care less about either one of em'...

:twocents:

2 things blend for 1 faith

Being 2016 and internet

None's ever safe, whoever wants, can track whoever, just a matter of time and resources, the fact you are connected you are at risk so what?

You heard that study revealed that 100% of the people that breath die?
Shocking i know, im testing it so far and im alive

@what some others say i tend to agree

None's ever safe, whoever wants, can track whoever, just a matter of time and resources ...
O really? Care to track me down?

Unless you work for CIA/Mossad/MI6 etc, good luck with that. :tongue2:

There's no need to push the pendulum to the opposite extreme. I can assure you it's perfectly possible to protect your privacy. All devices, all legal software is built so that it gives you the choice. If your too lazy or too stupid, that's when you get into trouble. Only governments or people who break the law can do it against your will. Normally ppl do it to themselves.

If you say "we're all doomed!" it will have a negative effect, ppl will just give up caring about it and get into trouble as a result.

I didn't read all the posts, but just some general thoughts of mine regarding online privacy :

I don't normally have same / similar user accounts for online activities / forums (unless they are related, example caly and ark forum).

I normally use "spam" email addresses, which are only checked once a week or even once a month for registering on forums and various websites. And even then I have a few domains, and if am unsure, I use different emails for different sites, so I can easily track which website is selling my "info".

I never use my primary email address for forums.

I don't normally give out private info about me online (I dont even use facebook / twitter, etc) - exceptions are for when people need to know, or like in here, if am looking for disciples, I give out my timezone, general location, etc.

As far as I know my real name has not been used / mentioned anywhere in the internet (at least pertaining to me).

As far as I know no image of me exists anywhere online (unless a friend posts it in facebook or something from events).

Also (for me) standard IT security like not going stupid stuff on my primary system (which can get you infected), securing my system, not running random software, not visiting potentially "bad" websites (unless work related reasons, and even then with secured browser or from a VM), etc. Yes, I do some IT Security stuff professionally some times.

Now, with my privacy views done, a moderator on a forum should act in a neutral manner and not make comments which could be taken as a threat by someone else.

Even as a joke. Especially considering that moderators have alot more access that could be used or abused. If the moderator is unhappy about a particular person(who is not breaking rules), they should not get involved in moderating that person, and let other moderators step in when and if necessary.

That was pretty unprofessional, IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.

First of all, I did not post as moderator, this is clearly an attack against me. Even if I am a moderator on the forum, I am allowed to participate as any other member.

DoA explained to people in a thread how she is potentially smarter then 98% of us here on the forum because she is a certified member of Mensa. That is a quite provocative and bold argument to make, so I asked for her Mensa credentials, but she denied.

So based on her public forum information, age, gender and location (Which everyone can see) I simply asked some contacts I have at Mensa to verify her Mensa membership. Verifying her Mensa membership does not mean I have to reveal any personal information, I don't even have to know any personal information. It's a simple "Yes she is a member" or "No she is not a member".

Further more, the records of Mensa members fall under the law "principle of public access to official records" in European countries (Where of DoA's country, Romania) and are not secret or classified in anyway. Anyone can approach Mensa and ask to verify someones membership. What else would the point be of these records? If it was classified, then anyone could say they are in Mensa and use it in their merits.

This was not a hostile move, it was to STRENGTHEN her argument and to help her out. But naturally she immediately assumes it's a hostile move and that I mean her harm.

And the thread was OPEN when I posted. I can't even post in a thread without it first override the lock and then post, AND it will be logged. I do not have access to see the logs of who closed it.

Besides, the thread I posted in is located in "Non Calypso Related > Off Topic" where many threads get posts even after being "dead" for a few months.

And finally, I don't have access to ANY personal information on the forum.

EDIT: Oh and DoA, please don't flatter yourself, I have no interest what so ever to "stalk" you. If you're really in Mensa, I'm sure you're intelligent enough to understand why someone would ask of you to provide your Mensa credentials when you stick you head out and claim you're smarten than 98% of us, don't you?

Last edited:
First of all, I did not post as moderator.
And when Obama say "I like war" in public and close his speech with "I didn't speak as president" - how many people would be able to isolate the position from the person?

It's quite disingenuous of you to claim you were trying to help her out when you revived an old thread.

It''s true you have as much right to participate in the forum as anyone else, but this was hardly a positive contribution. I guess it's up to 711 as to what standard of behaviour is expected from moderators.

I agree that DoA has misinterpreted (over-interpreted?) your post and I think she would have done well to let it slide, confining herself to pm, but you aren't exactly holding the high moral ground here. I would have respected you if you had admitted an error in judgement. Instead you try to cast your self as the victim. :rolleyes:

First of all, I did not post as moderator, this is clearly an attack against me. Even if I am a moderator on the forum, I am allowed to participate as any other member.

And the thread was OPEN when I posted. I can't even post in a thread without it first override the lock and then post, AND it will be logged. I do not have access to see the logs of who closed it.

I am 99.99% sure that the thread was closed in the moment you posted in in, because exactly yesterday I did gave some rep to someone who posted in that thread (yeah, I'm that obsessive that I think I have to +rep or -rep everyone who posted in the threads that I created and sometimes, because of technical limitations, I can't do that in one go, but I have to get back to old threads to do that; I even maintain a spreadsheet with all the + or - rep that I "owe"). Also, I clearly remember asking for it to be closed back then and had it closed as per my own request.

I am 100% sure that the thread was closed in the moment I made this thread (and at least one hour before that, while I thought on what to write), because otherwise I would have responded there, not made a new thread.

Now you claim you didn't used any moderator tools and you posted as a simple user; if so, I would be grateful to find out how this was possible, as in what moderation actions, by whom and by what time were done to said thread (being opened, being closed again, etc).

DoA explained to people in a thread how she is potentially smarter then 98% of us here on the forum because she is a certified member of Mensa. That is a quite provocative and bold argument to make, so I asked for her Mensa credentials, but she denied.

So based on her public forum information, age, gender and location (Which everyone can see) I simply asked some contacts I have at Mensa to verify her Mensa membership. Verifying her Mensa membership does not mean I have to reveal any personal information, I don't even have to know any personal information. It's a simple "Yes she is a member" or "No she is not a member".

Further more, the records of Mensa members fall under the law "principle of public access to official records" in European countries (Where of DoA's country, Romania) and are not secret or classified in anyway. Anyone can approach Mensa and ask to verify someones membership. What else would the point be of these records? If it was classified, then anyone could say they are in Mensa and use it in their merits.

This was not a hostile move, it was to STRENGTHEN her argument and to help her out. But naturally she immediately assumes it's a hostile move and that I mean her harm.

Yes, I do admit, what I did in that old thread was a mistake and a logical fallacy; intelligence (or any other qualities) should be proven, not claimed and, even when/if proven, they make no difference if you aren't right on the subject discussed at that moment.
But let's please be honest... you didn't tried to help me with anything... first of all because, as said, no matter how high or low my IQ is or to what groups I'm affiliated with, none of this would make me more right or more wrong on the subject at hand.

Other than that, you did asked me in private for credentials, and I explicitly told you that I refuse to do so because said credentials include full name (which, used in conjunction with the other info I already made public, would be enough to help malicious people stalk me down in real life) and I am not comfortable with you (or pretty much anyone else) have access to that info. There's simply no (official) way to prove / check if "DoA", "Daughter of Anarchy", "Alex" or "a 16 years old girl from Romania" is member or not, you have to either provide or receive at least a full name, and that is an information which for privacy reasons I prefer to keep for myself.

That's why, when you contacted me in private, I told you that, given the options of revealing my last name and being considered a liar, I chose the second option and I suggest you to consider that I lied, that I am not a Mensa member, that I am not smart and anything else you want and just leave me alone. And that is true for anyone else; between two unpleasant things, I chose the one which has a lower impact on my sense of security and well-being. Your replay was along the lines of "I was sure about this. I won't bother you any more.", I didn't added anything else, I considered the subject closed (even deleted the PMs with you), but you kept pushing things forward and made that forum post. Now, sure, you may lie to other people that you just tried to help (and considering that most people here hate me, they will side with you), but that can't be interpreted as "help" or "friendly" in no way.

As far as it concerned me:
- You asked me for some information that I consider personal
- I explicitly refused to reveal said information
- You then publicly posted that you are going for said personal information anyway, using your relations, because there is not official, public way to do otherwise

More than that... anyone can make their own judgement.

PS: I am happy that you didn't claimed it was a joke, though invalidating the claims of all people that "got the joke" in the first place and or pointing fingers at me in this thread because I was so blinded that I couldn't see that you were just joking.

I still do not believe this was a joke (although I sure hope you are right), especially since, before making said "joke", that person tried to force my hand to reveal said information to him in private messages. (...) But (and I repeat that for the third time), I don't think that was a joke in the first place.

Last edited:
Tell that to all of the forums about Entropia that have disappeared over the years... EP, ER, etc.

Yes, but we still have the wayback machine.. :yay:

I read almost all OP post and most of E-lite explain what happen.

Both are wrong in every way here. DoA for bragging and giving some info in public and then concern about privacy.
But especially E-lite as it is a moderator even if he act as a "user" here. He's also wrong trying to explain how and how much info can get to verify, what someone claim to be. So what?
I'm an astronaut! That justify someone to call NASA and ask questions about a person in my age/nacionality/playing Entropia/writing in forums etc and then brag in public for that?????....NO
I'm sorry my dear E-lite you made a mistake! This is out of question.

that's my opinion to this issue.

I read almost all OP post and most of E-lite explain what happen.
Both are wrong in every way here. DoA for bragging and giving some info in public and then concern about privacy.
But especially E-lite as it is a moderator even if he act as a "user" here. He's also wrong trying to explain how and how much info can get to verify, what someone claim to be. So what?
I'm an astronaut! That justify someone to call NASA and ask questions about a person in my age/nacionality/playing Entropia/writing in forums etc and then brag in public for that?????....NO
I'm sorry my dear E-lite you made a mistake! This is out of question.

Once again an amazingly spot-on post, and, indeed I already pledged "guilty" and admitted I was wrong on both of your "accusations":

Now there's not much I can change about my personal situation... I already made the mistake to reveal more info than I should had, though creating the possibility that, through some unethical exchange of information between sysadmin friends, someone to can get access to all my personal information.

Yes, I do admit, what I did in that old thread was a mistake and a logical fallacy; intelligence (or any other qualities) should be proven, not claimed and, even when/if proven, they make no difference if you aren't right on the subject discussed at that moment.

Actually that was the exact goal of this post - not necessarily to attack e-lite, but to warn other people to not repeat the same mistakes that I made.

moderator.jpg

The reports on this thread are piling up. And since I am the topic of this thread, I will stand neutral to this thread as a moderator, and TEMPORALLY lock it until another moderator can review it. If I have broken any forum rules, I will take the consequences, just like any other member will.

Let me clear up a few things to avoid any misunderstandings or confusion. :wise:

PCF moderators do not have access to member email addresses or passwords. (In fact, member passwords are not even stored in the forum database; only an encrypted hash of each user's password is stored and used to verify logins, meaning that the underlying member passwords can never be stolen, even in the case of a severe security breach).

PCF moderators do not have access to any personal member information beyond that which is available to regular PCF members, with the exception of limited access to member IP address info, necessary for dealing with multiple accounts and spammers.

Regarding the opening post of this thread, which purports to be "a fair warning for any forum user".

I wholeheartedly agree that all PCF members and Entropia Universe participants should always take care to protect their personal information on all websites, including PCF. This is especially true given the real-cash nature of Entropia Universe.

Following internet security best practices is a good first step to protecting your personal information online.

It is also a good idea to avoid using the email address/password associated with your Entropia Universe account on ANY other websites. And of course, everyone who values their Entropia Universe account should make use of the Gold Card Security System offered by MindArk.

However, the rest of the content of the opening post seems rather alarmist and unnecessarily dramatic.

No threat of exposing personal information was stated or implied in the referenced post by e-lite (who was posting in the capacity of a regular member, not as a moderator, nor was there any mention of personal PCF member information being accessed or shared.

Moderators on PCF are chosen from among the member community. Without exception, each and every PCF moderator, past and present, was first and foremost an actively contributing and respected member of the community.

It would be a detriment to the PCF community as a whole to expect or require that moderators no longer take part in discussions as regular members. PCF staff are not only permitted, but encouraged to participate in discussions, share their opinions and experiences, and contribute to the vibrant PCF community.

When speaking in an official moderator capacity, e-lite and Serica (the currently active PCF moderators) both make such very clear by use of moderator indicators such as "//mod note" or the Moderator badge image. In the absence of those indicators, posts made by PCF staff members should be viewed as posts from any other member.

In any case, this thread has run its course and will remain :locked:. Any further questions or issues should be directed to me via PM.

Status
Back