What do you think actual search area is for a mining finder?

thanks Neil and Trance for responses :)

The information in this thread have really changed the way I think about mining at this point.

well someone test it about this 2d, 3d whatever resource thing :).... use like z1 finder and then in same spot drop a bomb with vrx2k for example.....

It's already been done and no you don't find "extra" claims at other depths.

Very true. I did that plus many other tests and published my info on them. The thread is cunningly titled Couple of Mining Tests

On another note, damn those tests were 6 years ago. :silly2:

Very true. I did that plus many other tests and published my info on them. The thread is cunningly titled Couple of Mining Tests

On another note, damn those tests were 6 years ago. :silly2:

Interesting test's, you did! Seems, that they are using the same as i described in my post before. After you find a claim, it spawn an invisible volume/trigger, connected with a random time for disapear. Once placed, none will find some thing into the volume/trigger.
Of course, this trigger could have more functionality, about some times double drop also find a claim at same place. So, there is more as only a simply trigger, but basicaly the same system.

You guys have it backwards. The claims a re not in the ground. The claims are generated on the spot by miner.

So first decision that is made in the loot engine is whether to give you a claim or not.

Second decision is the claim size and ore type. Ore type is also based on the finder you are holding.

And third, the game generates a random set of coordinates and depth for your claim.

You guys have it backwards. The claims a re not in the ground. The claims are generated on the spot by miner.

So first decision that is made in the loot engine is whether to give you a claim or not.

Second decision is the claim size and ore type. Ore type is also based on the finder you are holding.

And third, the game generates a random set of coordinates and depth for your claim.

I think a lot people mentioned in this thread, that claims not are in the ground.
And no, the claims are not generated by miner. The claims are generated by server algorythm. The miner only say to server that he droped a probe. :scratch2:

Of course, it must have respawn in order to keep the chances % for various resources. Or, better wording, "area becomes virgin". What I am really curious about is if that timer is avatar-based or not. But for the life of mine can't think at any decisive test.

im very certain that is is area bound timer... they wont have a timer for every position on the map for every avatar... also there have been tests that u cant find something if someone is running directly in front of you

The miner only say to server that he droped a probe. :scratch2:
Yes, but did that drop cost 10 peC, or 25 peD? And what depth range does that miner profession+finder reach? Those details make a HUGE difference on what that find may actually be, therefore.... ;)

What I am really curious about is if that timer is avatar-based or not. But for the life of mine can't think at any decisive test.

im very certain that is is area bound timer... they wont have a timer for every position on the map for every avatar... also there have been tests that u cant find something if someone is running directly in front of you

Correct, me and others have already tested this. See my test thread linked above.

If they use the methode, to spawn a trigger, for controlling the mined aera, then they can just setup the trigger to disapear after a random time. In Unreal, as example, you can give every object (trigger, or what ever) a life time. If the life time is done, the object get self destruct. This don't affect the performance, if you think this could be an issue.

The trigger can hold a list, wich avatars mined there, and affect other ppl , if they enter the trigger. Just all about: how the code is made.

Last edited:
Spawns do not appear and disappear with time.

I've tested that hypothesis with a friend. I mined directly behind him 3-5m at most. i would bomb 3-4 seconds after him. Yet sometimes he wouldn't get a claim and yet I would, and visa versa. Returns were steady for both of us after 100 drops. ~85-90% TT.

It's avatar-based. Always has been and always will be. That's why we see lots of 1-1.5k kickback hofs after a certain period of loosing.

I like to believe that it's a combo of time, area, resource, and avatar deficit/surplus.. Given an addition small chance to roll for a "community pool" aka bigger hofs that don't seem to affect TT returns in the long run.

I mean I could be way off base here but that's what the last 4 years has shown me.

I just wrote a mining system for a game. If you click the finder, it search around the radius like a sphaere.
But, it don,'t really search! In the moment you click search, the algorythm find out you get a claim or not. Then the next step is, if you get a claim, the algorythm generate what you have find, and how much amount of it.
Once this is calculated, it just randomly get a place in the range of the finder. Then it place a claim there. The claim holds all data with the ores you find, generated by algorythm, in the moment of clicking finder search.

Now, if you find a claim, it generate a invisible sphaere at this, place. This sphaere block to find more claims, aslong the sphaere not disapear. The sphaere is connected with a timer and disapear after a randomly time. So you just can not find anything at this place.

I don't know, how it work in EU, but i can think, that there is not a big difference to the system i described above.

This is a very interesting insight and it would be my gut feeling is that this is how EU works as well.

Sometimes I feel too lucky/unlucky with my runs, even with changing locations, to suggest to me that I am discovering randomly pre-spawned resources over on the fly generated hits. I also feel this method of pre-spawning the environment would pose balancing challenges and large deposits could go undiscovered for very long periods of time given the small-ish radius of the finders. In a pre-spawned world once spawned it would be down to luck what gets found and what doesn't and I would think MA would want to be in complete control of this.

Spawns do not appear and disappear with time.

I've tested that hypothesis with a friend. I mined directly behind him 3-5m at most. i would bomb 3-4 seconds after him. Yet sometimes he wouldn't get a claim and yet I would, and visa versa. Returns were steady for both of us after 100 drops. ~85-90% TT.

It's avatar-based. Always has been and always will be. That's why we see lots of 1-1.5k kickback hofs after a certain period of loosing.

I like to believe that it's a combo of time, area, resource, and avatar deficit/surplus.. Given an addition small chance to roll for a "community pool" aka bigger hofs that don't seem to affect TT returns in the long run.

I mean I could be way off base here but that's what the last 4 years has shown me.

kickback hofs are just a matter of probability...
and ive done the same test and ive gotten 50 nrf in a row after mining approx 5 mins after another person planetside..

kickback hofs are just a matter of probability...
and ive done the same test and ive gotten 50 nrf in a row after mining approx 5 mins after another person planetside..

I tested this with a friend as well. Same result, nrf.

I think Rocket, your test might have been flawed somehow.

Then again, I haven't tested this in a long time.

Rgds

Ace

Always has been

Not true. Deposits having finite locations was painfully obvious in the old days. Your claim could expire and someone else could find it. Hell, you could be too late running to your claim and someone else could find it (because claims didn't spawn until you were physically right next to them).

Good ol 'days ;)

I think Rocket, your test might have been flawed somehow.

Then again, I haven't tested this in a long time.

Rgds

Ace

i have agree with with Rocket and i would not not normally disagree with Ace when it comes to mining. This happen to me several times last year and one time a friend got 800 ped hof 5 sec after i had a claim in same area. I dont buy in to theory that if someone mined a area its dry. Then it could also do with depth of finder as i think mining has changed over the years.

Not true. Deposits having finite locations was painfully obvious in the old days. Your claim could expire and someone else could find it. Hell, you could be too late running to your claim and someone else could find it (because claims didn't spawn until you were physically right next to them).

I beg to differ, is just a different claiming system. Both then and now the deposit would be triggered when you bomb.

I mean to say, I saw no conclusive evidence back then that deposit would be pregenerated. And to be honest, I have no bloody idea how such evidence would look like.

The difference is that you didn't had insta claim then so you had to run within 5m of the deposit to claim it. Which was very nice from a role play point of view, but given the high probability of CTDs and the freacking rubberbanding back then :laugh: it had to be changed.

I mined directly behind him 3-5m at most. i would bomb 3-4 seconds after him. Yet sometimes he wouldn't get a claim and yet I would, and visa versa.

i have agree with with Rocket...and one time a friend got 800 ped hof 5 sec after i had a claim in same area.

I may have an answer to this disagreement: Is it possible the finds were discovered outside of the original bombs search area? Picture two or more circles not completely overlapping. I've done tests on that.

Test #3 - NRF Walker
Method: set finder on auto-tool while auto-walking . (NOT running. Serious overlap)
(39302, 53808, 245) NRF
probe #31 (39303, 53793, 243) You have claimed a resource!(39352, 53778)
(39303, 53781, 241) NRF
(39305, 53744, 236) NRF
probe #34 (39305, 53731, 233) You have claimed a resource! (39349, 53701)
probe #35 (missed position button, guesstimate = 39305, 53711) You have claimed a resource! (39308, 53661)
(39308, 53656, 220) NRF

Note the locations of the claims are just outside the previous probes boundaries.

My personal conclusion: The system really does try to find enough loot for you, if you give it enough of a window, and walking seems to give enough window.

My other tests seemed to show that on the exact same spot, it's kind of "turned off" for X minutes after an NRF, but being even 1 meter over gives a small window that allows the system to give returns. Tests with others who run along FOMA walls and corners also showed reducing mining area by 1/2 or 1/4 did not reduce returns by 1/2 or 1/4 as you'd think) Which basically means that running after someone, you'd have to bomb ever exact spot they did to be really toasted.

In short, the system really does try to give back a certain amount on average (improving that amt is both ingame and IRL skill/luck-based) if you perform any activity. So just drop probes. :)

I beg to differ, is just a different claiming system. Both then and now the deposit would be triggered when you bomb.

It's possible, but we don't have any proof.

If the deposits were created when you bomb (for the purpose of avatar-specific returns) then it would make very little sense to allow avatars to nab claims that other avatars generated. I suppose it could have been an oversight that they removed later on, but we don't have a way of knowing for sure.

Back