New Player observation

Serude

Hello everyone I just started to play EU yesterday bc I honestly never heard of it til I saw a video on youtube about it. My first impression is that the game is pretty much dead. I started on Arkadia and I think it was almost an hour before I saw another avatar. I played for about 3 hours and didnt see one message or chat in the planet or area chat and had to switch to rookie. In rookie there where quit a few people chating, mostly about really nothing and some to help the couple of people like me who had just joined. The one common thing that I noticed among these vets when asked by a couple of the rookies about how to make PED's was that trading for profit was frowned upon. By this I mean buying something and marking it up for profit, they said you will get a bad rep for doing it and people will not buy or sell to you if they see you doing this. I was just blown away by this statement, it seems like the only people left are people who wonder around hunting and sweating and then complain how boring the game has gotten. It seems like the community has driven away all the traders by shaming them for making money and in return destroyed the games economy. Please correct me if I am wrong on this assumption as I only played for about 6-7 hours, mostly just doing starter quests. I have plenty of time to invest in a mmo now that I am retired and have been playing Elder Scrolls Online for over a year now and bc the inability of that game to have its bugs fixed is making me look else where to spend my time and money. I was drawn to the fact that this game works with real world money. I'll give this game a couple days but if what I stated is try I will probably move on to something different. Any thoughts or corrections are welcomed.

1st, welcome to Entropia.

It was probably dead in Arkadia, because a lot of people are hunting migration mobs on Calypso, which is an annual hunting event, also, if it was a Saturday, people rush off to Rocktropia to shoot the Kongs.

Also, Entropia is a huge area, and a lot of the time, you can hunt without seeing a single green dot on radar.

As to the other comments about trading, ignore it, the aim of the game is to make some peds, though I don't trade myself, I'd not buy from a trader that is seriously inflating the price of any items, be it from pecs to thousands of peds.

Entropia Universe have multiple planets and the most populated is Calypso, if you ask around im sure someone can pick you up and fly you there. You need 2 ped in your ped card to land on another planet !

We have many traders but most specialize on items that are in high demand and have an omnious price range for example the ML-35 gun. If you ask around whats it worth you will hear multiple opinions from 2800 - 5000 ped or even more depending on tiers. Thats something a trader can work with. There are a lot of those items and as higher the price tag as bigger the possible profit margin gets if you can find the right buyer.

The daily noob loot like oils and hides might have a profit margin of below 0.3% if resold and you need a network of people using those loots to sell it.

Trader have a bad reputation most time and some people actively avoid dealing with people who are known as traders/resellers because they feel they can get a better price elsewhere. If you can life with that kind of stigmata you can earn peds by trading, no one ever said being liked is a requirement for being a trader, tough it helps :)

All numbers in this treade are made up by me in good faith and i have no sources for it. Caution is advised believing in this numbers

Hello everyone I just started to play EU yesterday bc I honestly never heard of it til I saw a video on youtube about it. My first impression is that the game is pretty much dead. I started on Arkadia and I think it was almost an hour before I saw another avatar. I played for about 3 hours and didnt see one message or chat in the planet or area chat and had to switch to rookie. In rookie there where quit a few people chating, mostly about really nothing and some to help the couple of people like me who had just joined. The one common thing that I noticed among these vets when asked by a couple of the rookies about how to make PED's was that trading for profit was frowned upon. By this I mean buying something and marking it up for profit, they said you will get a bad rep for doing it and people will not buy or sell to you if they see you doing this. I was just blown away by this statement, it seems like the only people left are people who wonder around hunting and sweating and then complain how boring the game has gotten. It seems like the community has driven away all the traders by shaming them for making money and in return destroyed the games economy. Please correct me if I am wrong on this assumption as I only played for about 6-7 hours, mostly just doing starter quests. I have plenty of time to invest in a mmo now that I am retired and have been playing Elder Scrolls Online for over a year now and bc the inability of that game to have its bugs fixed is making me look else where to spend my time and money. I was drawn to the fact that this game works with real world money. I'll give this game a couple days but if what I stated is try I will probably move on to something different. Any thoughts or corrections are welcomed.

Arkadia is deserted around Summer as people have said. I suggest deleting your account (via a support case) and re-starting on Calypso if you actually want to get a feel for the playerbase.

If you're feeling lonely, join a large/active society. Avoid Rookie Chat. It is mostly lonely trolls/ignorant whiners who do not accurately represent the Entropia playerbase.

There is nothing wrong with trading. Anyone that looks down on you for trying to make a buck you can cordially invite to your ignore list. Trading is slow and mind-numbing and the profit margins are bleak on most things.

The players who complain are just jaded by their own inability to profit, so they blame the resellers for "leeching" off the economy. Don't worry, you are not the reason for their failure. Resellers provide instant liquidity. They are the grease that keeps the cogs of our trainwreck of an economy turning.

However if you spam trade channels trying to buy things for stupidly low prices, you will most definitely be blacklisted by some players. There's traders/speculators, and then there's scumbag opportunists that rip off players that don't know any better. Try not to fall into the latter category.

Trading is not the central ailment to our economy. Far from it. But when you spend time in Rookie Chat, these are the kinds of idiotic theories you get exposed to.

I don't remember where the starting outpost is for new players in Arkadia, but in the city and outpost of Celeste Harbour and Celeste Quarry, in the SE corner of the map, you allways have a couple of players.

But in general, as others have pointed out, the playerbase is spread out on a couple of planets and each planet is pretty big, so it's easy to do hunting and mining in the wilderness without seeing anybody. If you don't have a vehicle allready, buy one a explore a bit of the planet. I would guess maybe around 15% of the players are located on Arkadia, and around 80% on Calypso, the rest is spread out on other planets. But many players travels between the planets too. More players on a planet don't necessarily means it will better for you, even if it has it's benefits.

I noticed among these vets when asked by a couple of the rookies about how to make PED's was that trading for profit was frowned upon. By this I mean buying something and marking it up for profit, they said you will get a bad rep for doing it ...
There's always some stupid envious people, just ignore them. This is an RCE and you got it right, the point of the game is to try to play smart, decrease your cost to play and if possible make profit.
Ofc there's always greedy people who try to manipulate market and artificially inflate prices. It's all the same as in RL but what do we say about it? We say greed is one of the major driving forces behind the free market economy.

If you like to play with many other people, during Migration your best chance to do that is to participate in this event. Mind you, not all people want a mass of other players all around them all the time. At times it's nice to wander alone into a wilderness where you rarely see another green dot. I would say this is much more realistic hunting experience. Forest teeming with a mass of hunters (or a mountain range teeming with prospectors) is ridiculous, isn't it? ;)
At times, however, it's nice to do something together with many other players. The game offers opportunities for both, you only have to know where to go to find what you want.

Good luck! :cool:

Old Fred at Argus beach might keep you entertained, it is shared loot. So even if you do not do much damage you get loot and it is a fun thing to do. Besides that, your radar will be filled with green dots :) But you will need to fly to calypso

Oh and find a good mentor

Greetings.

All profit is from other players.

Thus, the primary (and in my opinion the only viable) for-profit occupation is trading.

This does not mean skinning your customers. It means providing a valuable enough service to draw business to you. This usually takes the form of high volume materials cycling, buying below market value and selling at or slightly below market value. It can also take the form of collecting rare items that have high market value, buying as always below market value, and sitting on the item until someone wants it enough to pay high for it.

By contrast, paying 1.2 ped per k for sweat and then selling it at a higher price is a crappy thing to do to other players.

Can you see the differences here? I've given an example of a highly valued trader, and then an example of a highly detested trader. Don't be the latter. Be the former, and succeed.

The trader who is valued highly by the rest of the playerbase provides a highly valued service. The bottom feeder just finds ways to rip people off. How clever a bottom feeder is does not matter; s/he will be shunned and never make a significant profit.

"Rookie" chat should be named "Galaxy" or "Universe". It's the equivalent of global chat. Nobody gets left out until they inspire others to apply the Ignore function to them. If this is happening, someone with a big mouth like me will tell you so, and why. That "why" part is very useful information.

Rookie chat is also your base medium on which to build your business. Not local chat. Not the auction. Most trade takes place in channels dedicated to particular places and/or types of trade. You can find out what is sold where by asking in Rookie. In fact, the best way to find out most thing related to the game is by asking in Rookie. Most of the information that's out on the web about this particular game is outdated, or misleading, or just plain wrong, or some combination of the three. Each player gets the challenge of sifting through all the information and finding the useful bits. This decades-old, worldwide game has developed its own unique culture and society. One element of our culture is that older players help newer players learn how to sift information and how to recognize potentially-useful bits.

As for the game being dead... we like our wide open spaces. I recall the Arkadia lowbie area being a mostly-empty forest filled with easy to kill feral cats. If you prefer a crowd, I recommend making Celeste Quarry your home, but again, most of our social element happens in chat.

You'll run dry. Everyone runs dry, veteran players more so. Considering that you are on Arkadia, when you run out of funds to play on, I recommend moving to Celeste Outpost and gathering sweat while you continue to explore the chat channels and cliques. You'll be able to sell that sweat eventually to SSI for 2.5 ped per k, but mainly it's something to do while you explore our social realities.

If someone offers to hire you to heal them, do it. You'll get very useful skills such as Evade, and spend nothing. You'll also build another of the social connections which make or break a trader.

If you left another game couse they didn't fix bugs fast enough.. GTFO while you can :D
Do a search on it, bugs & exploits that is
Been 8 months now since I reported a simple to fix exploit.. still waiting tho

First of all welcome.

- About planet chat, the only planet chat that is really active from time to time during the day is #rocktropia. Some small activity appear on Next Island now and then from people who do some event there for new players.

- It is everyone's right to choose what path to follow. Trader is one of those. Nobody can stop you for do retail business.

- As an Arkadia account I have a personal experience about starting on this planet. So allow me to add my opinion.
Arkadia is a great when you start with a good chain of missions for a new player. Some puny mobs to do and to get some idea of what is all about.
But after a while and if you choose to follow the hunter path at least to the start you realize that there is no big variety of mobs.
If you are like me (a person who doesn't like to spend money for killing 5000-10000 mobs day by day in endlessly killing missions), there is nothing to do there.
So what next? Thank God there are other planets to visit too. I suggest to do it. First thing to do is.... the starting missions, you get some cool stuff also and you get a better idea of Entropia.

- Don't expect to see many people around in any planet. With small exceptions for some hours of the day on Twin Peaks (Calypso), Quarry (Arkadia), Lagoon (ROCKtropia).Especially this season of the year of summer North Hemisphere.

-Entropia have no other MMO alike for comparison. It is unique. So any other MMO experience doesn't have much use. Even VU's are kept secret because this is RCE and nobody should have advantage against all the others.

take care and I hope you will stay and have some fun

Wish you the best playing this game :)

You can do new player missions on more then one planet. No need for you to send support case to close out your account and start again.

#space_flight ~ connecting space service providers with travelers

Thanks everyone for the info, I have really started to like the game first of all. I have found a mentor that has been playing off and on for over 10 years and he has been great, even gave me a free ride to Caly! I have been spending less time in Rookie chat as some of the reasons you guys have stated and spend most of my time chating with my mentor. There is so much to this game it is crazy, thx again for all the info going to go play some EU.

Greetings.

All profit is from other players.

Thus, the primary (and in my opinion the only viable) for-profit occupation is trading.

This does not mean skinning your customers. It means providing a valuable enough service to draw business to you. This usually takes the form of high volume materials cycling, buying below market value and selling at or slightly below market value. It can also take the form of collecting rare items that have high market value, buying as always below market value, and sitting on the item until someone wants it enough to pay high for it.

By contrast, paying 1.2 ped per k for sweat and then selling it at a higher price is a crappy thing to do to other players.

Can you see the differences here? I've given an example of a highly valued trader, and then an example of a highly detested trader. Don't be the latter. Be the former, and succeed.

The trader who is valued highly by the rest of the playerbase provides a highly valued service. The bottom feeder just finds ways to rip people off. How clever a bottom feeder is does not matter; s/he will be shunned and never make a significant profit.

"Rookie" chat should be named "Galaxy" or "Universe". It's the equivalent of global chat. Nobody gets left out until they inspire others to apply the Ignore function to them. If this is happening, someone with a big mouth like me will tell you so, and why. That "why" part is very useful information.

Rookie chat is also your base medium on which to build your business. Not local chat. Not the auction. Most trade takes place in channels dedicated to particular places and/or types of trade. You can find out what is sold where by asking in Rookie. In fact, the best way to find out most thing related to the game is by asking in Rookie. Most of the information that's out on the web about this particular game is outdated, or misleading, or just plain wrong, or some combination of the three. Each player gets the challenge of sifting through all the information and finding the useful bits. This decades-old, worldwide game has developed its own unique culture and society. One element of our culture is that older players help newer players learn how to sift information and how to recognize potentially-useful bits.

As for the game being dead... we like our wide open spaces. I recall the Arkadia lowbie area being a mostly-empty forest filled with easy to kill feral cats. If you prefer a crowd, I recommend making Celeste Quarry your home, but again, most of our social element happens in chat.

You'll run dry. Everyone runs dry, veteran players more so. Considering that you are on Arkadia, when you run out of funds to play on, I recommend moving to Celeste Outpost and gathering sweat while you continue to explore the chat channels and cliques. You'll be able to sell that sweat eventually to SSI for 2.5 ped per k, but mainly it's something to do while you explore our social realities.

If someone offers to hire you to heal them, do it. You'll get very useful skills such as Evade, and spend nothing. You'll also build another of the social connections which make or break a trader.

no it's not. but you already got the right username, apparently. :laugh:

caveat emptor. if there's a buyer and a seller, that are all the parties involved in that trade. it's not your business. literally. so don't tell other people what to do. it's that simple.

and from my recent experiences as mentor, I can state that one of the very first things newbies inevitably tend to find out is to not sell sweat under local market price. (though contrary, even promising them to buy their sweat for ABOVE market value didn't convince them to stay in game. make of that what you will...:() so the potential for "ripoff" (what a scrub concept) is already barely there.

Last edited:
Back