Server Downtime for Maintenance

I would really like to know what goes on during these periods of maintenance. They seem quite frequent (not that this is a bad thing if it keeps the servers running smoothly the rest of the time).

I would really like to know what goes on during these periods of maintenance. They seem quite frequent (not that this is a bad thing if it keeps the servers running smoothly the rest of the time).

I think slot machines need to be refilled with coins from time to time

Server needs to be restart, about all the memory leaks. Same with most PC's. After a long time of run the system, you have less and less memory, about all the memory leaks.

Example: I work with Unreal engine. if i test a game, made with Unreal, then after 1-2 days my memory is on 90% used. after restart PC, and open the same applications as before, then my memory is on 47% or less. Of cours, all is depending what applications you be using.

Of cours, all is depending what applications you be using.

It depends more what kind of programmers you're using.

Server applications like these should not be victim to memory leaks if done right

I'm sure a meme will fix it

one-does-not-simply-keep-the-servers-online1.png

This or something similar, depending on what db they're using. (it's unlikely to be MySQL, I used it just an example)

Good hardware and software maintenance requires upkeep. It's not uncommon for games to have weekly restarts.

Server applications like these should not be victim to memory leaks if done right

So, do you think epic games (Unreal engine) programmer are noobs?

OMG, Mr. Perfect gives a comment on how things should be done.

Good hardware and software maintenance requires upkeep. It's not uncommon for games to have weekly restarts.

Some MMO's have daily DT, so it's something common and good for a better performance

So, do you think epic games (Unreal engine) programmer are noobs?

Most software have bugs, and memory leak is obviously a bug (a programmer not freeing memory after use).
It seems the Unreal memory leak bug is quite well known and easily reproducible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpaFhe2a_y4

It is often considered more acceptable for client side applications to have leaks than server side, as you usually don't want to switch off servers more often than you absolutely have to. Fixing bugs(like memory leaks) is expensive, but having servers offline is multitudes more costly (MindArk is no exception).

And yes - I consider most programmers making these kind of rookie mistakes to be "noob" or at least rushing and reckless. Rookie developers are present on most projects though - probably including the unreal engine.

That being said I doubt memory leaks are the cause of the current MA maintenance.

I've run servers that have had over 2 years constant uptime and did not need to be rebooted to fix problems.
I've also run servers that had applications that needed regular restarting to clear memory leaks and other issues that accumulate over time.

That being said, any honest sysadmin will admit, if threatened sufficiently, that most of what we do is similar to the man behind the curtain! :smoke:

Hamster cages don't clean themselves. :lolup:

We need some New VU Update please taking so long OMG!

Most software have bugs, and memory leak is obviously a bug (a programmer not freeing memory after use).
It seems the Unreal memory leak bug is quite well known and easily reproducible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpaFhe2a_y4

It is often considered more acceptable for client side applications to have leaks than server side, as you usually don't want to switch off servers more often than you absolutely have to. Fixing bugs(like memory leaks) is expensive, but having servers offline is multitudes more costly (MindArk is no exception).

And yes - I consider most programmers making these kind of rookie mistakes to be "noob" or at least rushing and reckless. Rookie developers are present on most projects though - probably including the unreal engine.

That being said I doubt memory leaks are the cause of the current MA maintenance.

This bug only happens in the editor mode, about only there you need to open close blueprints.
Your right, not easy to solve such bugs.
I most need to restart my pc ofter 2 days of runing unreal engine editor. But it have other applications too, causing memory leaks.
All is depending on the complexity, software have, and how often it gets an update and last and not least, how cheap the software is.

there are other things, why it is need to restart game servers too. About over time you get junk to the levels, like guns in the air, or other things.. of course, bad coded or done. A restart of the server clean out all this.

So much fun installing the new improved app upgrade only to have app go down and discover memory leak problems that vendor can't / won't address so we resort to scheduling weekly server reboots to keep the app up so we don't nerf our app uptime metrics :hammer:

Basically there are a few things that happen...

- Restart servers
- Check log files for errors or possible intrusions
- Archive and clear log files
- Apply security updates to OS and core software
- Verify integrity of application via checksum
- Apply any small adjustments to game that are needed IE disabling longtooth/eomon spawns after migration.

thanks for all the posts, interesting discussion, i'm glad to have a better understanding now :).

I'm no database expert, but I can't imagine something of the size of MAs database doesn't require some cleanup.

Considering the system is down for around 30 minutes once per week (has anyone else noticed the incredible system stability at the moment outside this period) during a time when the vast majority of EU players are at work and US players are sleeping, it doesn't really worry me :)

It's very important to do this. It's not just the servers but also their network hardware needs a /flushdns from time to time :p

I just want more content! They spoiled us a couple months ago doing a small update every week related to plots I was hoping it would start again with the consinstant small updates

Back