ESI and chipping out questions

Billy Jean Ruby

Stalker
Society
Factory of Fun
Billy Jean Ruby
ESI and sale of skills!
I never had the opportunity to study the whole procedure until now.
Since I'm concidering chipping out, I will appreciate any information about this issue. I think it's almost the time to think about it.
In general,
What ESI or ESI's someone need when is going to chip out everything?, how calculate the value?, what's are common mistakes to avoid? e.t.c.

ESI and sale of skills!
Since I'm concidering chipping out, I will appreciate any information about this issue. I think it's almost the time to think about it.
In general,
What ESI or ESI's someone need when is going to chip out everything?, how calculate the value?, what's are common mistakes to avoid? e.t.c.

I've only chipped out using small ESI's, if it gives you ped/pec back you didn't use it to it's full potential.

I believe (someone can confirm) that if there's over 10 ped ESI left once you select how many points you want to extract then you should get a replacement ESI as well. That's why people like to buy big ESI's.

I've never tried big ESI's, kind of cautious trying it out....lol.

The best thing to do is experiment without extracting with an ESI. Put an ESI into a medical extraction tool, and play around to see how much of your skill can be extracted onto the ESI....without actually confirming the transfer.

Remember skills are stepped like a stair case not linear line growth, so it's quite interesting looking at extraction opportunities of different skills.

Rick

edit: Personally if the MU is really low after taking into account the ESI MU, it's hardly worth it for many skills.

Last edited:
Simple chipout to zero:

1. Write down skills you are going to chip out or put it in spreadsheet in column.

2. Go to http://jdegre.net/pe/unlocker.php
-select any proffesion
-tick "out"
-target level 0
-fill your skill levels in any blank space
-press GO
Second calculated value is SKILL CHIP value. For example: (14.42 PED).

3. Calculate ESI value that you need = 14.42 * 10/9 = 16,02. This is because 1/10 value of esi is lost during procedure.

4. Also unused rest of ESI under 10 ped is converted to peds during chipping out. So, if you need to chip out 8 peds of skills, use >18 ped ESI. You will get SKILL CHIP and ESI as output.

I did it. I wouldn't do it again. Not worth the hassle. Also re-building is a bitch.

Last edited:
I did it. I wouldn't do it again. Not worth the hassle. Also re-building is a bitch.

With that said, one note of caution, make sure to chip out the unlocks first :wise:

you can chip the locked skills now these days. or at least you could.. have not done much chipping this year

you can chip the locked skills now these days. or at least you could.. have not done much chipping this year

Thanks for the update, I guess some things have changed since 2006 :laugh:

ESI and sale of skills!
In general,

Try to grab a very large ESI at low markup and you'll be set.

If there's anything left on the ESI when you're done, you can just sell it. This is the easiest method IMO and will give you the least amount of headache.

You lose 10% of the TT of the skills from the ESI when you extract (eg: you extract 20 PED of anatomy skill, you get a 18 PED ESI of anatomy)

This means if your ESI costed you 900%, you need to sell the skill @ 1000% to break even. A little more if you account for auction fees.

And considering how worthless most skills are nowadays... you have to ask yourself if this is even worth the time/effort :(

so far you ALL were very informative and great help for me to an imminent decision.

With that said, one note of caution, make sure to chip out the unlocks first :wise:

why that's fixed long ago skills in red can still be chipped out now

Is any difference in using only 1 big ESI to extract certain skill or multiple small ESIs to chip out same skill amount?

I mean for example instead of extracting one skill with an 100 PED ESI, just use 10 x 10 PED ESI to extract same amount of that particular skill.

Is there any difference? Cost wise or any other aspect to take in account?

Is any difference in using only 1 big ESI to extract certain skill or multiple small ESIs to chip out same skill amount?

I mean for example instead of extracting one skill with an 100 PED ESI, just use 10 x 10 PED ESI to extract same amount of that particular skill.

Is there any difference? Cost wise or any other aspect to take in account?

not really no other then having odd sized esi that are generally easier to sell. some prefer huge esi and like to sit on the filled implant for weeks/months, its more a matter of preference.

I chipped out lots of skills a while back and as mentioned some of them aint worth the trouble.

To determine which skills you wanna sell I'd look for:
1. Nr of sales: e.g Martial Art had/has? decent MU but it took me AGES to sell all my martial arts even at scam prices.
you'd see 2-3times more chips in acu than what would sell in a week so even if MU was nice it wouldn't sell
So check how many chips are available and how many are being bought.
2. Are you chipping to keep playing or to quit? Because the skills actually worth selling are the ones worth keeping like evade.
However selling can be fun, I sold among other all my melee skills and have been causally gaining them back on small mobs.. I do miss the HP's i lost due to it but I've enjoyed myself anyway.
3. If you were to come back how fecked would you be? because once you realize you earned 400ped, but ESI cost you 280 auction fee 40 and it took you months to get those skills you don't wanna be returning...you're basically profiting 2 beers at the pub for months of your time.

tbh I wouldn't touch any skill like rifle etc ... even a few K's of LB/SB at 1500-1800% was hardy worth it.

What was worth selling and how much do I miss them and how long did they take to sell?
- explosive skills: some sell quicker than others, I only miss them when I'm pissed at people and they gave a high profit
- mining: I never really mined much but not even being able to use f105 sucks lol, sold fast, marginal profit
- MF: cold and pyro gave 0 profit, took long to sell, semi miss them, bio went fast, good profit do miss bio
- misc skills: teleport, jamming etc all sold very fast, very good % but the low amounts earn you like 30peds..
- melee: fun reskilling but miss them, lost shit ton of hp, took a while to sell and profit wasn't that good

What this guy said.

Sorry if I would go too much into details. It took me a very long time to learn to EU play properly, and in some domains (like hunting high hp mobs) I am still learning. I have my account for 11 years. I honestly don't remember how many times I chipped out. Mostly because I used to also farm some skills (psychotropy e.g. before MF update or mining skills until about 2009).

But I do remember reunlocking (from various stages, 2 times from complete 0) coolness about 6 times. 1 time I couldn't bear it anymore and bought in a couple of skills.

Worth mentioning that almost always the money went to clicking amps on condition or mining stupidly, sort of rage quit. Once every year and a half or so.

I don't know what level I could have been now if I would have been patient. 30 wep engineer? 60-70 prospector and miner? 60-70 on hit and dmg on almost everything? 40 evader? F* knows in MF? And it doesn't really matter, "what if" thinking sucks. But what is important is I missed ton of opportunities. SGA, TEN, all migrations, all mayhems, all events on Arkadia, whenever an opportunity existed above lvl 30, I missed it.

Financially, is not worth it. Nowadays if you don't find a quick trick to farm something exotic (while keeping for yourself whatever other is growing), skill farm is dead and buried. Just to empty your avatar as a sort of revenge to MA for perceived misdoings or because of your own disappointment will not change things. Take a break, take a step back. We all come back. There is no such thing as quitting Entropia, once you got the taste.

Is true that rebuilding ava is interesting and things always change and so on, but after some time it gets boring. You don't want to go again through that.

Examine what you don't like (maybe you spend too much money, maybe you spend too much time, maybe you get too nervous too fast or who knows what personal reasons, can be so many possibilities) and address that particular issue. Don't punish your ava by pulling out hard worked skills for so little gain that it will be even more depressing.

Best wishes! :)

Back