Help: Getting a new PC

Killahbee

Marauder
Society
illuminox
Killahbee Killer Bee Killahbee
I'm looking to buy a new PC. My budget is €1250,- and I absolutely don't want to spend more than that.
This is the build i came up with. I want to hear your opinion on it, what would you change and why?

ProcessorI7 6700€ 315
GraphicsGeForce GTX1070 8GB€ 460
MotherboardGigabyte GA-B150M-D3H€ 85
CoolerArctic Freezer i32€ 30
RAM16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2x€ 80
SSDSamsung 750 EVO 500gb€ 125
PowerCorsair RM550x€ 95
TowerI don't know!!€ 60
Total-------------------------------------------------€ 1250,-

Regards, Bee

Last edited:
Looks ok ,all i would change is bigger PSU ,i belive 550watt is on the edge i Think that i7 is about 75 -80watt in load and grafic arround 170watt ?

For box it depends on what you like ,personaly i use game cub from cooler master and no chassifans at all with watercooled cpu ,so very silent :)

Up the PSU to at least 700W, I would say pay the extra and get the gold certified so it is more efficient and doesn't start on fire. Also, I would buy a closed loop water cooler like an h60i or h80i. Smaller, quieter, and looks really sweet too.

I'm slightly out of touch. But imho, even a 700w PSU would be too small. 850 Gold certified should be the minimum.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Gigabyte. ASUS makes better products in my opinion.

As for SSDs haven't kept up to date with the tech, but is shrinkage still a problem on them?
I've had some really good experiences with decent hybrid drives.

Other than that seems like a good machine.
In terms of case, I had a coolermaster sniper some time ago. very nice case. Kept everything nice and chilled. And no need for watercooling. I see the newer models have a slightly varied look.

I would suggest more ram :)

8 is okay but 16 gives you that extra space you may need

idk where ppl giving you these numbers from but you dont need that much of a power supply, just got to be a good one, even 550/600 should be plentifull
Some years ago yea, hardware wasnt as efficient as it is these days
Since you're getting new stuff its even more efficient, all you need is a good quality PSU, which most ppl tend to underate

Always go up a psu bigger then you need!!! If you buy a smaller one and constantly putting it under heavy load because its not powerful enough or its running at 80% of its max power rating it likely to not to last longer then the higher rated one.

When ever i do a new build i always go up on psu for future changes and to make sure it survives longer.

Avoid the expensive corsair ones and all. I once lost 2 in the space of 3 months and even though they were on guarantee by the time you ship them to Netherlands or wherever it was its cheaper to buy a new one. Yes it costs about 40 pounds to ship them from uk to their!!! mega seemed to find it funny at the time and all like thats what you get for having expensive psu.

Iv had the cx 750 now for a few years no problems and this one only cost 70 pounds which is cheaper and more reliable then the expensive ones so.

As for the rest of the setup i dont know as i am more an amd man myself so maybe look at amd ??? Their alot cheaper on cpu :) If your only playing entropia the slight frame rate difference between amd and intel is likely to make no difference anyways.

Last edited:
This is high end sys for me, I build mine with half that budget.
as already mentioned above from many, be carefull with power supplier you gonna use, both for capacity but noise as well.

I would go 6700K so u can overclock later when u feel u need faster computer.
and a Z170 mb so u can overclock.
and 16gb ram i use atleast.

I dont use any other brand then Asus now days, they are just working best.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Gigabyte. ASUS makes better products in my opinion.

I can second this! I've tried alot of different manufacturers but I keep returning to ASUS.

Also, I can recommend getting a Fractal design define R-series tower, great for building and its quiet.

Seems like a nice setup.

Like most have pointed out, go with a bigger PSU, and I would also double the amount of RAM.

I'm looking to buy a new PC. My budget is €1250,- and I absolutely don't want to spend more than that.
This is the build i came up with. I want to hear your opinion on it, what would you change and why?

ProcessorI7 6700€ 315
RAM8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2x€ 80
PowerCorsair RM550x€ 95
TowerI don't know!!€ 60

Regards, Bee

That gigabyte mainboard is a real piece of crap. I had SEVEN faulty returns on that board when I built my wife's PC. Then I got this instead https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170M-PLUS/

Worked perfectly.

Oh and the RM 550+ PSU will be more than enough, no need to get a bigger one.

I'm slightly out of touch. But imho, even a 700w PSU would be too small. 850 Gold certified should be the minimum.

As for SSDs haven't kept up to date with the tech, but is shrinkage still a problem on them?
I've had some really good experiences with decent hybrid drives.

Other than that seems like a good machine.
In terms of case, I had a coolermaster sniper some time ago. very nice case. Kept everything nice and chilled. And no need for watercooling. I see the newer models have a slightly varied look.

Up the PSU to at least 700W, I would say pay the extra and get the gold certified so it is more efficient and doesn't start on fire. Also, I would buy a closed loop water cooler like an h60i or h80i. Smaller, quieter, and looks really sweet too.

Based on what? That rig will draw maximum 260 watt on full load. My wife had the exact same setup except an Asus mainboard. On full load benchmark it pulled 260 watt, on average usage load it pulled 145 watt. Please don't advise things if you do not have the experience.

ProcessorI7 6700€ 315
PowerCorsair RM550x€ 95
TowerI don't know!!€ 60

Regards, Bee

Suggested changed:
Motherboard: ASUS z170
RAM: Go 16Gb right away
Disk: 750 is the previous generation go 850 edition instead
Cooler: Any of the new corsair liquid coolers would be better.

ProcessorI7 6700€ 315
PowerCorsair RM550x€ 95
TowerI don't know!!€ 60

Ok let's use our brains together here. What I would do, considering your budget and how you will use it.

1. Swap the i7 for an i5. Unless you are going to do heavy encoding or renderin tasks a Core i5 is more than enough for gaming. My choice would be a Core i5 6500, and don't even bother with the unlocked version (K) if you are not going to overclock it. You saved $100 there.

2. Get a better motherboard, everything is connected to the motherboard so please do NOT cheap out here. Which one? Any ASUS with a H170 chip will do, its superior to the ones with B150 and even though the B150 ones would work for you the H170 is higher end and future proofs your build with more PCIE lanes and other stuff. Since you opted for a M-ATX I would go for the ASUS H170M-E D3. Just $15 more than yours, and much better.

3. Change the cooler for a legendary Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I have personally used this cooler in 20ish builds already and its about the best you can get, and also super cheap ($30).

4. RAM...well ok...I prefer G.Skill over Kingston. You can get a G.Skill ripjaws with 8Gb for $40 or with 16Gb for $60, it's your choice here really. Just get a DDR3-1600 set and your are go.

5. Ditch that SSD. Get a 850 EVO, its much much much better. If you want more info on SSD, what to do and what not to do here is a link. That thread is pure gold ;)

6. Some corsair PSU are good, others not so much. They don't always use good caps and circuitry so I usually go for a Seasonic or one of the few good Corsairs. Any Seasonic with 500-600W and gold rating will work perfectly for years, and they are just a lil bit more expensive. Again, you do NOT want to cheap out on your PSU...

7. The tower is really a very personal choice, I like the ones with a clean design with zero LED or other childish bullshit, and as few plastic as possible. Something like a Corsair Carbide 100R, or similar I'm not really giving any advice here since you gotta like it and that's personal choice.

8. After all these changes you probably have a few extra bucks, consider a GPU upgrade or just depo what's left and go hunt something :)

There you go.

Source: Me, I build computers and I'm an engineer :thumbup:

Idkn if noise is important to you but to me this was important. I went with a 1000w psu that could run up to 60% Load without turning on the fan. I never use above 400w so the fan never has to run. Your 1070 gpu will not run the fans either under low load so then the only noise you have is from the cpu fan.

As for the cabinet I'm really happy with the fractal design r5. It has good sound dampening and is not flashy in any way. It's high quality compared to many of the cabinets out there.

Also check out M2 SSD that runs in pcie slot. Those are twice the speed of sata ssd and with the new motherboards you can boot from them.

Looks like a fine system you could go with a lesser cpu 6700 is not needed for gaming. with what you save you could get a more eco psu or better videocard. you may want to use two ssd's in raid 0 or 1 for the os and installed games. if you are willing to put in more ram, you can stuff all of EU on a ram disc. you wont see loading screens or be waiting for anything like avatars and so on to load up. as for a case I love the r5 the pre installed fans are loud and not great but easy enough to upgrade.

This is what I built for meeeeee =)

Maximus 8 Hero

I7 6700K

ASUS strix 1060

Corsair h110i

32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666

Two Intel 730 Raid 1

Eight HGST 3TB Raid 6

Adaptec 5805

Fractal Define r5

I would suggest more ram :)

8 is okay but 16 gives you that extra space you may need
Was my bad, the RAM in OP is 16gb, not 8.

As for the rest of the setup i dont know as i am more an amd man myself so maybe look at amd ??? Their alot cheaper on cpu :) If your only playing entropia the slight frame rate difference between amd and intel is likely to make no difference anyways.
Hehehe, I will check it out no promises tho! :D

This is high end sys for me, I build mine with half that budget.
as already mentioned above from many, be carefull with power supplier you gonna use, both for capacity but noise as well.
Yes noise is a thing for me. I will see if I can go up the budget here a bit to reduce the noise more

I would go 6700K so u can overclock later when u feel u need faster computer.
and a Z170 mb so u can overclock.
and 16gb ram i use atleast
This is another thing I looked into, I have never overclocked anything and i'm not a fan of it. Again there is the budget issue, I am looking for a 1250 setup and not towards 1500 setup. I also need to buy 2 new monitors, so there's th

That gigabyte mainboard is a real piece of crap. I had SEVEN faulty returns on that board when I built my wife's PC. Then I got this instead https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170M-PLUS/
Will check this out, it looks like i can save a bit on the SSD and go for a higher mobo. It does look decent but I have to watch my budget :yay:

Ok let's use our brains together here. What I would do, considering your budget and how you will use it.

1. Swap the i7 for an i5. Unless you are going to do heavy encoding or renderin tasks a Core i5 is more than enough for gaming. My choice would be a Core i5 6500, and don't even bother with the unlocked version (K) if you are not going to overclock it. You saved $100 there.

2. Get a better motherboard, everything is connected to the motherboard so please do NOT cheap out here. Which one? Any ASUS with a H170 chip will do, its superior to the ones with B150 and even though the B150 ones would work for you the H170 is higher end and future proofs your build with more PCIE lanes and other stuff. Since you opted for a M-ATX I would go for the ASUS H170M-E D3. Just $15 more than yours, and much better.

3. Change the cooler for a legendary Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I have personally used this cooler in 20ish builds already and its about the best you can get, and also super cheap ($30).

4. RAM...well ok...I prefer G.Skill over Kingston. You can get a G.Skill ripjaws with 8Gb for $40 or with 16Gb for $60, it's your choice here really. Just get a DDR3-1600 set and your are go.

5. Ditch that SSD. Get a 850 EVO, its much much much better. If you want more info on SSD, what to do and what not to do here is a link. That thread is pure gold ;)

6. Some corsair PSU are good, others not so much. They don't always use good caps and circuitry so I usually go for a Seasonic or one of the few good Corsairs. Any Seasonic with 500-600W and gold rating will work perfectly for years, and they are just a lil bit more expensive. Again, you do NOT want to cheap out on your PSU...

7. The tower is really a very personal choice, I like the ones with a clean design with zero LED or other childish bullshit, and as few plastic as possible. Something like a Corsair Carbide 100R, or similar I'm not really giving any advice here since you gotta like it and that's personal choice.

8. After all these changes you probably have a few extra bucks, consider a GPU upgrade or just depo what's left and go hunt something :)

There you go.

Source: Me, I build computers and I'm an engineer :thumbup:

Wow thanks !
Indeed the i7 is overkill, but it is more futureproof I hear. Besides that I think I am going to be streaming full windowed mode with voice active, would this have any influence on it?
I will def. change to the Asus motherboard you recommended. only €15 difference but a big gain it seems. Also i liked how you said it's mor future proof :D. Cooler, ok easy to change that.
SSD. I will have to look into this. Thanks for the thread too, i am not that much of an expert when it comes to building pc's. Reason I picked the PSU is because it came out best/top in some of the tests/comparing i've done online. Also it's only 21dB which I like.
Still some tweaking left to do on my build, but slowly getting there :)

Indeed the i7 is overkill, but it is more futureproof I hear. Besides that I think I am going to be streaming full windowed mode with voice active, would this have any influence on it?

No, you will be fine with the Core i5.

Good luck :)

Wow thanks !
I will def. change to the Asus motherboard you recommended. only €15 difference but a big gain it seems. Also i liked how you said it's mor future proof :D. Cooler, ok easy to change that.
SSD. I will have to look into this. Thanks for the thread too, i am not that much of an expert when it comes to building pc's. Reason I picked the PSU is because it came out best/top in some of the tests/comparing i've done online. Also it's only 21dB which I like.
Still some tweaking left to do on my build, but slowly getting there :)

If u will stream u need to go i7
Surely fine for eu with some tweaking etc, but u will kick urself later for going for i5. I have an older generation i5 and had to overclock it to be able to stream.
So my advice here would be to get cheaper gfx smth like 960gtx (750ti is good enough for eu and costs next to nothing, but not suggesting since its so old and you may be playing other games too) and get i7 instead but other than that angels 02 advice is perfect.
For SSD - go m2 instead, same price, give or take, but way better performance.
PSU - current build is fine for 550 but others are right - go for a better rated psu. Gold+ at least. PSU is one thing that will protect your 1250- machine so dont cheap on that :)

One last thing, watercoolong is not always more silent than air :p
Especially if u go for corsair products.

Cheers
Soko

I suggest checking out what offers are available first from big supply PC chains. You could probably get a damn good spec a ton cheaper than buying a self build. Because you're sharing in discounting passed on from the supplier buying in bulk.

Maybe hold on for the next Sales.

My misses bought a good laptop that runs EU with easy in high settings, for around £400 and that was over a year ago.

The world has moved on, we don't need to self build for power anymore. Besides it will be out of data in a year, so why bother throwing a ton of cash at it, when you can get another say £400 "new" machine in a year that will out perform the system your trying to build now,

Obvious if it's about dick size, boys toys and money is not problem, then my words are worthless.

Rick

Being very fond of Asus as the only manufacturer I've never had issues with, I too would suggest looking at Asus' MBs and gfx cards. And in no case downgrade to i5 or, god forbid, that knockoff of Intel.

Disk: 750 is the previous generation go 850 edition instead
Cooler: Any of the new corsair liquid coolers would be better.

It's 850 is the previous generation, as we already have 950 :). But 850 is great indeed, have a couple of them running 24/7 for 2 years.

Being very fond of Asus as the only manufacturer I've never had issues with, I too would suggest looking at Asus' MBs and gfx cards. And in no case downgrade to i5 or, god forbid, that knockoff of Intel.

It's 850 is the previous generation, as we already have 950 :). But 850 is great indeed, have a couple of them running 24/7 for 2 years.

Not quite right. 950 is the current M2 model, 850 is the current sata model. There's no 950 sata model. So Arangar got it right.

http://www.samsung.com/se/consumer/memory-storage/memory-storage/?filId=1&filItemId=1

i'd also consider adding a mechanical drive for files that don't require the speed like music & videos. plus stick your temp files and browser history on it, due to these having many writes you want to avoid these writing to SSDs. SSDs can only write so many times, now its huge amount these days but why use them up on temp files

It always depends on the user experience. i will never ever go with Corsair PSU again, my home was about to go up in flames with a 1 year old Corsair PSU. but ofc mine could have had a problem with it, but its enough for me to never ever use them again. :)

Intresting thread :)
I got to agree with Rick England tho ;)
But aside from that there are many good advices here from very knowledgeble ppl thx for the tips i will use them my self to ;)
That said good luck with your build KillaBee old m8 :D

This is what I got. You won't need 1000watt but this doesn't even start the big 135mm fan before 400watt. That basically means that the fan never has to run. You also get a cool feature where you can check all power consumption and temperatures with software they deliver. When just browsing and watching netflix my setup is now using 125watt and temp is 38.5degrees inside the PSU with fan not running. PC is never off so it's a looooong time since last time it was cool.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/rmi-series-rm1000i-1000-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-fully-modular-psu

It always depends on the user experience. i will never ever go with Corsair PSU again, my home was about to go up in flames with a 1 year old Corsair PSU. but ofc mine could have had a problem with it, but its enough for me to never ever use them again. :)

I've had 1 PSU blow and god it made me stain my pants, was Antec i think, however personal experience is everything really, some will swear on one thing and hate on another. i've never had Corsair, but had OCZ that seemed ok but i've now got a Cooler Master 850w fully Modular PSU, its got full panel for passive cooling and full controls and honestly its OTT but i won it so can't argue.

Last edited:
I'd echo many comments and I wouldn't build a PC with less than a 750W PSU these days.

The SSD is nice, I recently bought the 850 EVO 500GB.

I only owned one Gigabyte motherboard many years ago, but I personally like ASUS boards.

For future proofing I would say 32GB RAM, graphic cards are easy to upgrade, but build a PC with a matching set of 32GB as a start position and spend half of what you are doing to buy that graphics card. I'm waiting for a good silent Radeon STRIX RX 480 to appear personally (that would cost about £200)

If you want a good case on a budget, I'd recommend this one to you:

http://www.ebuyer.com/713419-cit-go...-interior-usb3-12cm-green-led-toolless-goblin

If you want a silent case, I'd recommend purchasing 2 of these (1000RPM so effectively silent)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-Silent-Eagle-1000-120x120x25/dp/B000FDE0CQ

and 1 larger 800RPM one for the side panel:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharkoon-SE-800-Fan-140x140x25/dp/B003U53XYW

Last edited:
Back