Looking for a new laptop, GTX960M 4gb or GTX970M 3gb, your experience?

Macce

Alpha
Hey im looking into a new laptop.

Im considering a MSI GE72 (Apache pro) with i7 and nvidia GTX970M 3GB.
Now i wonder if this is overkill to run EU on? Framerates to share? Anyone have frame rates on a laptop with i5 and GTX960M 4gb to share? like this: Acer Aspire VN7-792G.
Previous i had 2 Asus Laptops, not very happy with the newest, weight is no problem so Asus or any other lightweight gaming laptop are no interesst to me. I want a solid 3-5kg laptop.

My budget is ~1350€ and i look for minimum 8gb ram, i7 or I5, 960M 4gb or 970M 3gb , 17" screen
If the Acer runs EU fine ill be glad to save those 4-5k in price diffrence :)

Any other model out there running on very high/Maxed settings, frame rates and experience?

Thanks for input
Macce

The 970M definately.

MSI gaming series are decent. Personally I would go for a Clevo/Sager, they are not fancy looking but the build quality is very high and you get the most out of your money. Examples: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-86-series-laptops.html

If you want to share your preferred webshop with me I can advice specific models from there. Otherwise good luck.

Cheers.

The 970M definately.

MSI gaming series are decent. Personally I would go for a Clevo/Sager, they are not fancy looking but the build quality is very high and you get the most out of your money. Examples: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-86-series-laptops.html

If you want to share your preferred webshop with me I can advice specific models from there. Otherwise good luck.

Cheers.

those laps looks like they are cool, also the price.

Ordered a Msi GT72 6QD DOMINATOR G with additional ram, total 16gb and gtx 970M 3Gb

Will come back with fps rates.

No such thing as overkill, the only thing that will happen is that it will run cooler and quieter than a machine running maxed out.

The only advice would be to avoid anything Acer, I've seen and been asked to deal with too many dead ones over the years to let people even consider them.

brother just got the msi gt70 for around $1400 USD

gtx 970m, 256gb ssd, i7 processor.

It's a really nice laptop. thinner than you'd expect... light weight.. and a pretty small power block compared to clevo/sager models.

and the keyboard is to die for

Yo, im back again!

Bought an MSI gt72 6qd heroes with gtx970 3gb and i7-6700HQ 8gb ram.

runs at 60-70fps at balanced mode on grid windowed 1600*1024. all settings maxed.
runs at 30fps at balanced mode on battery windowed 1600*1024. all settings maxed ~1,5 hours battery system says.

additional ram +8gb hasnt arrived yet.

Gl out there!

Hey, sorry to sqeeeeeeze in on an old thread but I'm looking to upgrade my laptop and have a few questions for the tech gurus out there.

So... I'm UK based and looking to buy something with minimum specs of:

• Processor: i7 (someone can tell me clock speeds and model is best maybe?)
    Ram: 16gb
    Screen: 15.6"
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Storage: Must have a SSD and a Main HDD
    Graphics: OK! Here's the fun part! I have looked and seen mixed review regarding the GTX 1050/1050Ti with comparisons to the 970M... some say the 970 is better some say the 1050... should I consider something else also?

I will be the first to admit I'm no Tech expert and I know nothing about hardware models and there performance

Any help is much appreciated!

I have been looking at this

Thoughts?

Hey, sorry to sqeeeeeeze in on an old thread but I'm looking to upgrade my laptop and have a few questions for the tech gurus out there.

So... I'm UK based and looking to buy something with minimum specs of:

• Processor: i7 (someone can tell me clock speeds and model is best maybe?)
    Ram: 16gb
    Screen: 15.6"
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Storage: Must have a SSD and a Main HDD
    Graphics: OK! Here's the fun part! I have looked and seen mixed review regarding the GTX 1050/1050Ti with comparisons to the 970M... some say the 970 is better some say the 1050... should I consider something else also?

I will be the first to admit I'm no Tech expert and I know nothing about hardware models and there performance

Any help is much appreciated!

I have been looking at this

Thoughts?

You don't really need to have a I7 to play EU with highest settings. So you can easy look for a cheaper I5 cpu.

You don't really need to have a I7 to play EU with highest settings. So you can easy look for a cheaper I5 cpu.

I want it to be kind of future proof even though I know there's no such thing with technology.

Also there maybe other games I might play on this at some stage

I want it to be kind of future proof even though I know there's no such thing with technology.

Also there maybe other games I might play on this at some stage

Unless those other games really take advantage of multithreading, an I5 is plenty, in fact an I5 is still probably plenty unless you are doing a lot of multitasking, streaming, etc. What you want is GHz, processing speed.

Just an update on the laptop situation.

I bought the Dell inspiron 15-7000 with a nvidia GTX 1050ti I linked in a previous comment and it is awesome. Can run eu in highest settings however I don't as you will always get better performance in mid to high.

The Gpu fan can be loud but not unbearable and the keyboard is a little bit too close to the screen or there is a lot of space between the edge of the laptop and the keyboard itself not sure which. The edges are also quite sharp so depending on how you sit with it they can dig in but it's all about getting comfortable and you will be OK.

Overall a very good buy for only £840 (I got 20% discount from a friend)

Definitely recommend

You can't say dont trust acer / dell / whatever brand.

It depends on the model/series you get, as well as how you use it. I had one Acer, which was usable for about 8 years of heavy usage. Including bringing it to India when I was on a project there for 6 months (dust / and other negatives for laptops there). I also had long lasting HP (running for about 4+ years as of now - sold it to a friend), Toshiba (running for about 6+ years now - sold it to another friend), another Acer currently in it's 2nd year (gave it to dad - one of the Predator gaming laptops), and am currently into my 4th month with a Clevo. (nowadays I use a laptop for one to two years at most, sell it to a friend or something, and buy a new one).

I also seen the above branded laptops fail in months (none of my mine). There is no hard / fast rule regarding how long a particular branded product will last.

Back