Before You Share Your New Idea...

JohnCapital

Slayer
Society
Freelancer
John Teacher Capital
So, you've come up with a great idea you think MA should implement. It'll vastly improve the game in your opinion. Before you spout your idea, here's some things to think about:

1. Not everyone has the same play style as you
You'd be amazed how many different ways there are of hunting, mining or even crafting (or combinations plus all the other activities ingame.​

2. Not everyone has the same reason for playing as you do
Do you play for fun or profit? Others play for a different reason than you.​

3. Not everyone does the same activities as you
I hinted at this back in #1. Would your idea mess up the hair cutters, clothing makers, painters, tree cutters, socialites, marketers, explorers, fruit gatherers, etc. etc. etc. plus all the folks who do your activity in conjunction with these and/or others?​

4. There are multiple planets now
Each with their own "personality". How would your idea affect the atmosphere on each of them?​

Now, take your idea and consider: How would this affect players who do things VERY differently than you do?

Does your idea STILL make sense? OK fine post it and let's talk about it. Otherwise, back to the drawing board.

Sorry, but I'm gonna need to see a conditional flow chart diagram or no deal on this thread.

But i thought Entropia was all about me???? Are you telling me that the universe does not revolve around me...but around many others as well??? and in fact that I am just a small number that MA doesn't really care about?

Where do you come up with these crazy ideas!

:scratch2:

4. There are multiple planets now
Each with their own "personality". How would your idea affect the atmosphere on each of them?​

How much did you think about point 4 before posting? I expect VERY few people would be able to answer that, and thus be unable to say if the idea still makes sense, thus making them unable to post the idea and get it talked about.
Even changes to space might make a particular planet a lot less ignored and change the character of a planet by actually being inhabited! Still, I'd expect the PP would quite like that, even if those who have found 'secrets' in isolated places might not. Do we have to take them into consideration too?

I guess the question this leads to for me is: how do people think in general about having a growing number of places that very few people have access to, whether due to physical separation or separation by mission achievements, gained rank etc?

Apart from that, I welcome the idea about talking about ideas. Even the crazy ongoing spave pvp thread has lots of ideas being thrown around, as well as some talk of what constitutes fair frameworks etc.

I think you got...
triggered-meme2.jpg

UCfx9FT.jpg

Nineteen Eighty-four (1984), by George Orwell, the Thought Police​

Last edited:
Space is the single biggest inhibitor of planet partner growth. Too much risk. If everyone was overflowing with time and ped, it wouldnt matter as much.

Put up some TPs, put the fees of those TPs into the space mission pool of ped when they decide to finish half implemented idea #14, and be done with this.

I think you got...
triggered-meme2.jpg

Ermagad, you said trigger. *explodes*

Oh Johnathan why did you not post this before explosives bp was released.

Oh Johnathan why did you not post this before explosives bp was released.

Did someone suggest an explosives bp?

If so, I suggest the anti explosives bp. It deletes it from the game.

Last edited:
your idea is dangerous !
don't talk about it !
young innocent...
you can burn on a stake !
don't you remember catholic inquisition !?!
MA's Vatican hear you

IDEA ARE DANGEROUS ! SHHHH !

... :laugh:

edit :

an other version...

"beware with your idea !
i put a lot of MY money in EU
this is for REAL !
it's NOT a game kid !
don't even try to f*ck up MY plan !
do not get involved in MY business !
i don't want ANY changes !
EU is my life now !"

Last edited:
Don't see the issue in posting anything here as long as there isn't special snowflake protection and if you post something dumb, you don't throw your toys out when you get called a retard.

Did someone suggest an explosives bp?

I was just thinking that PP and MA in genral should also follow John's line of thought. I do not know where They got the idea from maybe a player or a employee at a drunken Xmas party.

Very good points JC.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JohnCapital again.

Still, it's not easy for a single person to consider all those multiple viewpoints, unless they have very wide experience, and perhaps a grounding in economic theory.

But that's ok.

That's what I think this forum is here to facilitate.

To help take that one 'this is my viewpoint' idea, and let other members expand/elaborate/constructively criticize/refute/compare/add historical context/collaborate/etcetera.

:girl:

Perhaps the important take away here is that however well meaning we are operating from a subjective point of view.
If we discuss and dialogue civilly with each other it will both facilitate sharing our ideas as well as modifying as others read and share their perspective.

#space_flight ~ where pilots find travelers

I was just thinking that PP and MA in genral should also follow John's line of thought.

In fairness to MA, I believe they usually do, based on comments they've had here in the forum.

Doesn't mean they always make the best choices, but they do often try to consider the big picture before they decide on certain actions.

Perhaps the important take away here is that however well meaning we are operating from a subjective point of view.
^ This.​

Does your idea STILL make sense? OK fine post it and let's talk about it. Otherwise, back to the drawing board.

Your timing couldn't have been better with this thread.

I created a thread to discuss creating stabilities within the sweat market , I also wish to view its relation to the influx of new players and retention. Here is a link

Vibrant Sweat (L) <----- Link

I hope this isn't a hijacking of your thread , the discussion was already underway.

Do you honestly think Mindark honestly puts any forethought in to many of the things they just throw at the game hoping it'll stick?

Why should participants put any more forethought in to ideas than the actual game developers do?

I could make a list of examples, but someone already has... (mods, if the above link is gonna get deleted, here's an earlier copy of the same list that originated here in the forum: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?205880-Content-of-Oblivion )

I strongly disagree with OP on this.

This is a Forum (a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged).
This is place where ideas should be put forward and discussed.
Any silly idea might be expanded and shaped to something great. (or it might just be another silly idea, so what?)

And to the OP: I challenge you to give an example of an idea that fits your criteria.
I am certain you will not be able to find an idea that makes sense to everyone.

And to the OP: I challenge you to give an example of an idea that fits your criteria.
I am certain you will not be able to find an idea that makes sense to everyone.

I didn't say the ideas had to be universally loved. I said people should try to consider that not everyone plays the same way.

I didn't say the ideas had to be universally loved. I said people should try to consider that not everyone plays the same way.

Now, take your idea and consider: How would this affect players who do things VERY differently than you do?

I never said it had to be universally loved.
You stated every idea should make sense even to players who do things VERY differently than you.
I can not read the quote from you in any other way, and still challenge you to give an example of an idea that fits your criteria.

Which is perhaps also why different ideas pop up - just perhaps ;)

JXpiv6M.jpg

KO

ahem... why do you think you have any justification to limit people's creativity? you're just a regular user.

[closed]

Back