Dedicated to a player who past away: DonDraco

Chukano

Provider
Society
Crowbar Crew
Chukano WrenchCrowbar Crowbar
Hello everyone,

My name is Chukano and I am a fellow Entropian and I would like to share a story:

In my 2 year since this account was created I have met many friendly people:D (and some less friendly individuals too:)

So I came to this game after being a competitive gamer for long time and had no clue what to do. One of the Players I met (and again I had advice and help from many people so also thank's to you all) was Don Dondraco Draco from South Africa.

He (Dondraco) took some time and explained some basic things to me and as all noobs do, I added him to my friends list instantly so I could ask him (literally hundreds:) of questions.

I played fanatically and also thanks to Don's advice to find a mentor asap, I found one of the best mentors ever (Ridge Batty) who trained me further into the game as a miner.

I hit my first few Globals and Don was always one of the ones to whisper me and say well done hope you made profit and other words of encouragement. And we chatted away almost everyday while I dropped mining probes and slaughtered punies.

Then I had an real life issue with my health and I was not able to play for almost 16 months but I returned a month ago and could start playing again:D

Yesterday (14 Sept 16) I saw my old friend Don come online and as I wanted to whisper him I saw I was removed from his friends list. A bit surprised but thinking he simply forgot who I was after this long time I whispered him and said: Hey Don its me. I am back how have u been mate etc. I got a polite answer back that he was well. And then he asked a weird question if I knew who he was. I was like? Of course I know who you are man I know I have been away a while but don't u remember me?

And then I got the sad news that Dondraco had passed away several months ago and it was his cousin on his account trying to close it down. And he had sent a message to all Dons contact a while ago giving them the news.

First thinking I was being trolled but slowly realizing I was being told the truth I asked his cousin if he needed help. It turns out he did, he told me he could not close down the account and he had contacted Mindark and he was told that accounts can not be closed if there is value on them or something similar (ty Mindark for putting that in place!).

He put everything in the Trade Terminal (!) except for some blueprints because he had no clue about the game and was trying to figure everything out through forums and he did not have any items except for the ones that the trade terminal would not take (Bound items) but still could not close the account. He also said he did not care about the money he just wanted to get rid of the account.

It took me a long time to explain to him this game was about real money. So I asked him to check the Ped flow center and hit transfer and he said ok that was 9000 Ped. I explained to him the real world value of this and he was (obviously) surprised and told me well Don's girlfriend who he left behind will be happy with 900 Dollars.

Then he told me the amount of Ped he had on his card completely and it turned out to be 154.236 Peds. Again, I explained the real world value to him and after a loooong moment of silence and asking if I was kidding him and not believing me for literally an hour! I told him how to withdraw the funds of my old friend so that the people who Don left behind could have this.

Why I write this story? I do not need your praise or disdain:D, It is simply because someone who helped me a long time ago passed away and I was in a position to help. Even if we are in a game, or in a virtual world, social contacts are an integral part of that game.

So this one is for you 'DON':

I made sure your loved ones got everything you owned in the game and that where ever you are, I hope you rest a little better now.

I thank you all for reading,

Kind regards,

Chukano

I`m sorry for your loss and the loss of dracos family and his friends. This is a sad story on one hand, may draco rest in peace, and also a nice story, on the other hand. Very well done Chukano! These kind of things and the mostly nice community makes EU some very special place. Once again, RIP draco!

sorry to hear but you done well to help he's cousin
RIP Don :(

That is a sad story but nice to hear everyones heart was in the right place

Sorry to hear, yet somewhat a pleasant ending.

I hope 'he' didn't tt too many items with MU, guns mining tools etc.

He's obviously holding a ton of deeds, if he had a nice ped flow center account. He needs to be very careful how he sells 'stacks' of those deeds. He needs to avoid the sale to order, if it's not clear what he's doing. He could easy throw away thousands of dollars by accident. Ask him the number of deeds and do the calculations for him. Be clear what type of deeds he holds, look at it in the trade window to help him.

I guess the only other problem is the withdrawal transfer, might be registered to a closed RL bank account. He needs to check that 'account number' with his next of kin first before the withdrawal activates or the withdrawl will fail, and incur fees.

He could 'I guess' transfer peds to his own avatar (if he created one) for withdrawal into an active RL account, although that has it's own complications too as the assets belong to the next of kin and MA will highly likely not allow that to happen. A better solution if the RL is closed is to change the RL bank account to an active account in the next of kins name. Although you need to discuss with MA.

I'm pretty sure MA would be keen to assist in such situations, and they're likely to provide you with a list of rules you need to follow in such matters.

Tell him to slow down, real money is at stake. Less mistakes as possible especially with deeds he may still own.

Rick

well done man

Sorry to hear the news. :(

Maybe you should also tell the guy to ask for a LIST of items that he put into the trade terminal. If Draco had 150 000 peds on the card, there is a high chance he had a few items worth much more than 1K peds that it would take to buy-back from Mindark...

True :bandit:

Thanks

Hey all,

Ty all for your feedback and helpful suggestions.

I will try to advice as good as I can and when needed I will revert back here for help! Or ask for help in game cause I don't know everything:D

Thanks again,

Chukano

Sorry to hear about your friend, my first thought reading you story was that someone hacked his account.

Sorry for your loss, and best wishes to his family. Good on you for helping out and doing the right thing.

Sorry to hear the loss of a friend Chukano

It seems he was a person who used his time in the game and probably out of game life to pay forward his experiences. I find these people to be the best to know and the most difficult to lose.

Don would be proud you were helping his cousin as you have , paying forward as he are.

Back