Question: Gardening- What skills make the prof?

Bahb

Old
Society
The Cereal Society
Bahb happy Silunt
Has anyone been doing any testing on Gardening yet?

I'm going out on a limb, but for some reason I think Engineering, Intelligence (confirmed), and Botany are a part of it. Got my first increase off of Intelligence while sweatting.

I can safely exclude Engineering now.

Psyche, Courage, and Athletics are maybes though. I missed a .01% increase that I don't think was Intelligence or Sweat Gatherer.

after healing at fort lehar for a bit, Dexterity and Athletics both at once gave a gain of .13%

I'm gonna upgrade Athletics to 'probably' and include Dexterity in the maybes.

Dexterity can be eliminated I think. Athletics is almost certain. Also, maybe Alertness.

It either Alertness, Combat Reflexes, or Dodge this time, I'm gonna bet on Alertness.

So....
Intelligence
Athletics
Alertness
Dexterity
Botany?
???

Diagnosis.

I didn't do any gardening, but I'm level 9 already while a good friend of mine is at level 3 only. The difference between us is, I have done considerably more resource gathering and animal taming, while he is higher in laser weapons and some craft professions. I therefore conclude that there's a high correlation of gardening with resource gathering and/or animal taming.

Alertness confirmed twice, as is Intelligence.

Intelligence ~3-5%%
Alertness ~2-3%
Geology ~3-5%
Perception ~5-6%

Suspects

Athletics (probably not- larger sample needed/ at most 1%)
Botany

Dexterity is Eliminated.

Last edited:
So I kept a partial log of actions today. Geology is part of it, so is Alertness. Pretty sure Geology contributes more. Was trying to shoot stuff til I hit perception to test that one, but I'm outta ped today. Lost the exact skill gain for alertness due to a crash, but pegged Geology.

gain sweat gatherer, concentration
gain sweat gatherer, courage
gain first aid
gain sweat gatherer, alertness, courage
gained evade
gained sweat gatherer, first aid, concentration, evade
gained sweat gatherer, diagnosis, first aid, athletics, courage
gained sweat gatherer, courage, alertness
gained courage, evade, combat reflexes, sweat gatherer, athletics, concentration, ???(crash)
gained First Aid, Laser Weapons Technology, Dexterity, Dodge, Anatomy, Weapons Handling, Alertness, Diagnosis
gained Courage, Sweat Gatherer, Concentration, Dodge, Dexterity, First Aid, Rifle, Alertness
gained Engineering, Electronics
gained Rifle, Weapons Handling, Inflict Ranged Damage, Anatomy, Laser Weaponry Technology skill.
gained Evade, Alertness, Weapons Handling, Laser Weaponry Technology, Inflict Ranged Damage
Laser Weaponry Technology, Rifle, Dexterity, Inflict Ranged Damage, Aim, Inflict Ranged Damage, Combat Reflexes
Rifle, Evade, Laser Weaponry Technology, Agility, Anatomy, Dexterity
Anatomy, Inflict Ranged Damage, Laser Weaponry Technology, Courage, Athletics, Weapons Handling. Rifle
First Aid. Laser Weaponry Technology. Combat Reflexes, Courage, Rifle, Agility, Dexterity, Anatomy, Inflict Ranged Damage, Weapons Handling
Geology (46.93 to 47.56)
Prospecting, Mining, Computer

Bear in mind that you can get a skill gain that is too small to visibly increase the profession.

Until someone actually does whatever action the profession relates to, and therefore gains skills directly from using the profession, the most reliable ways to isolate and measure skill contributions are chipping in or out, and mission rewards.

Today provided better info, and I've fixed some estimate percentages. Dexterity I'm about positive provides nothing. Intelligence is somewhere between 3-5%, Perception is 7-10%, Geology is 4-5%, and Alertness is 1-3%. So I have it 15-23% solved.

Intelligence (16.20 to 16.38)
Sweat Gatherer, Concentration, Sweat Gatherer, Laser Weaponry Technology, Courage, Dexterity (194.47 to 194.86), Perception (146.45 to 146.85), Weapons Handling, Combat Reflexes, First Aid, Anatomy, Rifle, Aim
First Aid Dexterity(194.86 to 195.27) Laser Weaponry Technology Anatomy Perception (146.85 to 147.25) Intelligence (16.38 to 17.00) Rifle
Prospecting (42.47 to 42.90), Geology (47.56 to 48.42), Surveying (49.83 to 50.47)
Evade Mining(49.29 to 50.14) Perception (147.25 to 147.66)

Last edited:
Analysis, Botany and Biology are included.

Buying skill chips seems less fun than skilling, so for now I'll do my testing without chipping. If anyone wants to submit some info after chipping out or in, I would love to hear it.

Analysis, Botany and Biology are included.

I kinda assumed Botany at least, but thanks for the confirmation and more candidates. Got any idea as to their contribution percentages?

I might just buy a Terratech and cut some trees and keep another skills log.

I did buy a Terratech. Athletics is safely out now.

Dodge, Laser Weaponry Technology, Aim, Anatomy, Athletics
Anatomy, First Aid, Laser Weaponry Technology, Combat Reflexes, Athletics, Weapons Handling, Weapons Handling, Dexterity, Diagnosis, Inflict Ranged Damage, Rifle, Support Weapon Systems, Explosive Projectile Weaponry Technology
Sweat Gatherer, Intelligence(17.17 to 17.51), Concentration
Botany (1.00 to 2.73), Resource Gathering (1.00 to 2.23)
Alertness (66.50 to 68.20), Intelligence (17.51 to 18.34), Analysis (1.00 to 3.58)

Alertness ~1%-2%, Intelligence ~5%, Perception ~7%-8%, Analysis ~1%-3% Geology ~4%-5%, Botany ~20%-25%

38-48% solved

Concentration, Psyche, Sweat Gatherer
Concentration, Sweat Gatherer, Courage
Concentration skill.
[System]: You have gained experience in your Sweat Gatherer skill.
[System]: You take 38.9 points of damage.
[System]: You have gained experience in your Sweat Gatherer skill.
[System]: Received Effect Over Time: Heal
[System]: You were healed 30.0 points by [Carl Jim Last].
[System]: You were healed 4.9 points by [Carl Jim Last].
[System]: Your Psyche has improved.
Sweat Gatherer, Combat Reflexes, Evade, Alertness (73.71 to 74.14=0.43)
Sweat Gatherer, Courage, Evade, Intelligence (18.34 to 18.49)
Resource Gatherer (29.68 to 30.96)
[System]: You have gained Perception (158.25 to 159.91)
[System]: You have gained Dexterity
[System]: You have gained experience in your Athletics skill.
[System]: You have gained experience in your Analysis (15.58 to 17.29)
[System]: You have gained experience in your Resource Gathering skill.
[System]: You have gained Perception (159.91 to 161.57)
[System]: You have gained a new rank in Perception!
Analysis (17.29 to 19.00)

When gardener was introduced I immediately was above lvl 16. Reason for that: I'm lvl 28 resource gatherer. When I'm leveling up my resource gatherer the profession gardener increases very fast, I'm now above 17,5.

Skills that are working for both professions are analysis, alertness, geology, genetics, botany, biology, intelligence and perception. Maybe more. I'm thinking of zoology, but no evidence so far.

Greetings

Last edited:
Not athletics or zoology. Those I have excluded in testing. The rest are already confirmed or I suspected. I haven't been able to isolate a gain in just Genetics or Biology yet so I cannot begin to nail down a percentage. So far Botany seems the biggest single contributor.

Some info I collected from players

Gardener Level: 15.98

Demoniac - : geo 1793
Demoniac - : prob 1405
Demoniac - : gen 230
Demoniac - : biol 1551
Demoniac - : botany 468

Gardener level: 17
Thaddeus Rusty Venture: Can you please fill me in on your following stats: Geology, Probing, Genetics, Biology and Botany
Imewi Dira: in this order 2430, 1081, 548, 1488, 859

Mystical Looter: Level 3
Thaddeus Rusty Venture: Can you please fill me in on your following stats: Geology, Probing, Genetics, Biology and Botany
Mystical Looter: 419 10 248 387 351

Last edited:
Probing seems like a good find. I haven't been logging my skill gains recently, which is a shame cause I went through two TT Terratechs in December.

Probing seems like a good find. I haven't been logging my skill gains recently, which is a shame cause I went through two TT Terratechs in December.

Not much of a shame, i'll go through 40 in a day (no exaggeration).

Anyways, I will be doing quite of bit of gardening soon so we will figure it out once and for all.

Last edited:
[System]: You have gained Perception.
[System]: You have gained experience in your Biology skill.
[System]: You have gained experience in your Botany skill.

[System]: You have gained experience in your Geology skill.
[System]: You have gained experience in your Analysis skill.

Athletics has to be put back into possible contention.

I was out chopping trees and shooting punys and hit the lv IV puny iron reward. Wasn't logging... again.... but the gain seemed to be a lot higher than the chopping trees would normally get me.

If so, it's only 1%.

Athletics has to be put back into possible contention.

I was out chopping trees and shooting punys and hit the lv IV puny iron reward. Wasn't logging... again.... but the gain seemed to be a lot higher than the chopping trees would normally get me.

If so, it's only 1%.

Athletics is not, at least I have not received it yet from gardening. All the skill gains I am posting are directly from gardening btw.

[System]: You have gained Alertness.
[System]: You have gained Alertness.

Back