Discussion on Loot Theories

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
Good Morning my fellow Entropians.

I would like to discuss loot theories in general and how pointless their discovering is. Well not really their discovering but making those theories public.

Lets say the games mining system uses "GFHNVHGFGH hHNVG KJHGGHNBvhn" and a similar working model is placed on this forum, one should expect significant changes to the mining system after the discovery is posted.

Let me give you all a real example. In the past the mining was governed by a simple idea, a spiral emanating from the player in which the first active claim happened to be using the current minute as the first point on the spiral and resulted in long lines of claims..

The system was once again broken by another player (who used a metronome) and posted on this forum, and the system changed again !!

So is this forum only good for forcing Mindark to change a currently discovered system ?

Reactions: San
I feel I have the hunting loot system fairly well described, but as far as I know there is no way to manipulate it to increase your profitability from MA's point of view. You can, however, alter your successfulness versus other players. So it's now a discussion of do I want to help others at the detriment of myself :rolleyes:

I feel I have the hunting loot system fairly well described, but as far as I know there is no way to manipulate it to increase your profitability from MA's point of view. You can, however, alter your successfulness versus other players. So it's now a discussion of do I want to help others at the detriment of myself :rolleyes:

The thing is that you need peer review in order to make a credible hypothesis, and the best form of that is for the one doing the review, to perform that actions them self.

For example, when I had the mining system worked out, I gave instructions to a fellow guildie of actual ingame x and y coordinate sets to bomb and with what finder. I had about a 90% accuracy rate with that system when it worked.

There are good things I guess about a revealed mechanic / system in that the developers should hopefully not be using it again if it can be manipulated.

My theory is shoot more and loot more.... there is the 1 hour grinder then the 10 hour grinder, all the 10 hour grinders will get better loot... my theory lol :yay:

This is how theory threads have gone over the years:

Theorist: This is how it works.

Some guy: Show me proof.

Theorist: [Shows behaviour that could be explained by 314159 other things.]

Some guy: That's not proof, please show me.

Theorist: You are too dumb to understand.

Some guy: You are dumb.

Theorist: I win.

My advice is don't torture yourself. Enjoy the game instead.

Sorry for the slight off-topic :thumbup:

My theory is shoot more and loot more.... there is the 1 hour grinder then the 10 hour grinder, all the 10 hour grinders will get better loot... my theory lol :yay:

If it's true expect a nerf ...

This is how theory threads have gone over the years:

My advice is don't torture yourself. Enjoy the game instead.

Sorry for the slight off-topic :thumbup:

This is my way of enjoying the game :) Do you have any idea how much math I have learnt over the past couple of years ....

The thing is that you need peer review in order to make a credible hypothesis, and the best form of that is for the one doing the review, to perform that actions them self.

For example, when I had the mining system worked out, I gave instructions to a fellow guildie of actual ingame x and y coordinate sets to bomb and with what finder. I had about a 90% accuracy rate with that system when it worked.

There are good things I guess about a revealed mechanic / system in that the developers should hopefully not be using it again if it can be manipulated.

Totally agree. A couple of my close friends have tested the theory (it's more... "points to consider" as hunting has a lot of co-dependancies) and have had success.

Also, with hunting, there is no sure fire way to profit outside of maximising economy with imk2+buffs. Even that is getting difficult. But Eco does have some part in the overall theoretical context.

I'm sorry for being vague here but perhaps the best way to explain my hesitancy is that it's like a miner telling people on the forum, the exact place to hit dunkel & rugaritz.

Totally agree. A couple of my close friends have tested the theory (it's more... "points to consider" as hunting has a lot of co-dependancies) and have had success.

Also, with hunting, there is no sure fire way to profit outside of maximising economy with imk2+buffs. Even that is getting difficult. But Eco does have some part in the overall theoretical context.

I'm sorry for being vague here but perhaps the best way to explain my hesitancy is that it's like a miner telling people on the forum, the exact place to hit dunkel & rugaritz.

That's going to take a butt-ton of work, especially if no one knows what the mechanics are or how they work, and even if they are discovered, there's no guarantee they will remain.

I don't think there won't be any theories left in the game as players seem to figure them out. (Beside wave hunting as MA can't or won't fix it)

Only path left is to make 2 simple changes.

HoFs are compensated for gamblers (it creates a false promotion to the game as newbies think people hit big and profits while most people just gets the hofs to bump them back to around 100 % returns again.) Haven't seen much happy players who gets the hofs vs I just got back to 100 % returns. (Most people I talk to who tracks their hunting runs have all said their big hofs are almost perfectly 90 % tracked to their losses)

Just like CLDs. The game seems to be working towards a very boring profit margin. Basicly if I told you that the system will never give you a better result than 110 % each year. The only thing that matters is to cycle hell of alot more peds. 10 % of 100 peds isn't much to cheer about but when u start getting 10 % of 1 000 000 or 10 000 000 it's a decent return. (So just have more people playing on the same avatar)

So all the random big payouts is gone. No more I just came into game killed a trox got 10k loot worth. Used 5k to upgrade my equipment and withdrew 3k.

I'm just trying to look it from MA's perspective and how their costs vs profit seem to even out. While the exciting gameplay keeps getting nerfed.

/tinfoil hat on. ^^

The thing about loot theories is that if the system was figured out, MA would probably change it. As Aio has said though, MA seems to have a fairly exploit free system that controls input and output and its more about competing with all the other players.

I've only got my own ideas on how hunting and loot works based off of my own feelings and experience and from reading various posts. I've never had the time or will to track thousands of kills over months or even years to gain any real statistical evidence however, just feelings from experience.

It doesn't seem like it was a well thought out idea to have wave based looting for rare items that can be predicted fairly accurately by players, but then again, the lower the MU on any item ingame, the better for MA...

Seems to be a few other things that affect hunting and loot as well from what I've read, mob regeneration, player dpp/dps, how fast you can kill, and even players in the area hunting or how many people online cycling peds.

To me it feels like there's some kind of wave based coding when attacking mobs even. No other way I can explain getting 3,4,5+ evades in a row or a wave of critical hits. I suppose it could be random chance but seems unlikely when it can happen so many times in a row or in a short time period multiple times in one hunting run.

Just my own ideas/theories from experience, I don't think I'll ever have the time or dedication to get any statistical data over a long time. :wise:

Probably why I keep taking long breaks and either play or do other things. :beerchug:

Last edited:
I don't think there won't be any theories left in the game as players seem to figure them out. (Beside wave hunting as MA can't or won't fix it)

HoFs are compensated for gamblers (it creates a false promotion to the game as newbies think people hit big and profits while most people just gets the hofs to bump them back to around 100 % returns again.) Haven't seen much happy players who gets the hofs vs I just got back to 100 % returns. (Most people I talk to who tracks their hunting runs have all said their big hofs are almost perfectly 90 % tracked to their losses)

Just like CLDs. The game seems to be working towards a very boring profit margin. Basicly if I told you that the system will never give you a better result than 110 % each year. The only thing that matters is to cycle hell of alot more peds. 10 % of 100 peds isn't much to cheer about but when u start getting 10 % of 1 000 000 or 10 000 000 it's a decent return. (So just have more people playing on the same avatar)

So all the random big payouts is gone. No more I just came into game killed a trox got 10k loot worth. Used 5k to upgrade my equipment and withdrew 3k.

I'm just trying to look it from MA's perspective and how their costs vs profit seem to even out. While the exciting gameplay keeps getting nerfed.

/tinfoil hat on. ^^

Tell that to Tikiki after her 10k vorn hof 3rd day in game...

Also.. my returns over 2 years are well over 90%...

Last edited:

/tinfoil hat on. ^^

Yeah stop the everyone 90% bullshit

It more fun whit winner and looser not wen everyone 90% come on

The thing about loot theories is that if the system was figured out, MA would probably change it. As Aio has said though, MA seems to have a fairly exploit free system that controls input and output and its more about competing with all the other players.

I've only got my own ideas on how hunting and loot works based off of my own feelings and experience and from reading various posts. I've never had the time or will to track thousands of kills over months or even years to gain any real statistical evidence however, just feelings from experience.

It doesn't seem like it was a well thought out idea to have wave based looting for rare items that can be predicted fairly accurately by players, but then again, the lower the MU on any item ingame, the better for MA...

Seems to be a few other things that affect hunting and loot as well from what I've read, mob regeneration, player dpp/dps, how fast you can kill, and even players in the area hunting or how many people online cycling peds.

To me it feels like there's some kind of wave based coding when attacking mobs even. No other way I can explain getting 3,4,5+ evades in a row or a wave of critical hits. I suppose it could be random chance but seems unlikely when it can happen so many times in a row or in a short time period multiple times in one hunting run.

Just my own ideas/theories from experience, I don't think I'll ever have the time or dedication to get any statistical data over a long time. :wise:

Probably why I keep taking long breaks and either play or do other things. :beerchug:

I get the same feeling, the game seems to push loot away from you when you are profiting and pull it towards you when you are loosing, so you get this push / pull relationship which I think makes the game very addictive.

I get the same feeling, the game seems to push loot away from you when you are profiting and pull it towards you when you are loosing, so you get this push / pull relationship which I think makes the game very addictive.

that phenomenon is just simple statistics at work though. you will get the same feeling when betting red or black at a roulette table for some time.

that phenomenon is just simple statistics at work though. you will get the same feeling when betting red or black at a roulette table for some time.

Interesting, the only thing I can do then is carry on refining the idea and see if I can beat, the 27% average hitrate over time with regards to mining. This "thing" feels intelligent but it may be a flaw that exists in my own brain ...

When it comes to publish a theory that might be very close to reality it isn't
always a bad thing for MA.
It's a question about balancing knowledge and also about give and take.

If to few understand system some few who do understand will gain from it.
The danger with that is that too many might quit, or at least spend less.
If too many understand system the gameplay might get dull and boring, and
from MAs p.o.v the amount of cash deposited might not be enough.
Their solution is to explain stuff in a very general p.o.v, where some confuse
what they said with specific actions in looting.

I have my own theory, that explains some "odd" things in loot that some
can't explain in e.g the DPP-theory.
I can see why a fresh noob can hit a really big hof, I can see why "target evaded"
is not a pure lost and so on.

Basically it's just a layered system that run one value against another when we do
interactions, and the more they match the better the outcome will be.
Ofc, there are *way more* things than just the avatars build up of values, we
have also values from system that are included in how loot build up works,
but still just values vs values. ;)

When it comes to publish a theory that might be very close to reality it isn't
always a bad thing for MA.
It's a question about balancing knowledge and also about give and take.

If to few understand system some few who do understand will gain from it.
The danger with that is that too many might quit, or at least spend less.
If too many understand system the gameplay might get dull and boring, and
from MAs p.o.v the amount of cash deposited might not be enough.
Their solution is to explain stuff in a very general p.o.v, where some confuse
what they said with specific actions in looting.

I have my own theory, that explains some "odd" things in loot that some
can't explain in e.g the DPP-theory.
I can see why a fresh noob can hit a really big hof, I can see why "target evaded"
is not a pure lost and so on.

Basically it's just a layered system that run one value against another when we do
interactions, and the more they match the better the outcome will be.
Ofc, there are *way more* things than just the avatars build up of values, we
have also values from system that are included in how loot build up works,
but still just values vs values. ;)

except that fresh noobs cant really hit big hofs anymore. or at least not anymore since jan 2013 when the loot changed. ofc u can chip in skills and use a big amp on go mining and get lucky. but you cant get a big hit unamped anymore. and u wont see big hits on small mobs anymore or at least maybe once a year if ur lucky.

except that fresh noobs cant really hit big hofs anymore. or at least not anymore since jan 2013 when the loot changed. ofc u can chip in skills and use a big amp on go mining and get lucky. but you cant get a big hit unamped anymore. and u wont see big hits on small mobs anymore or at least maybe once a year if ur lucky.

Argonaut Young 2802 PED Forrest Forrest Park Thu, 18 Aug 2016 23:03:24 02 days, 03 hours, 44 minutes
Argonaut Scout 3898 PED doctor doctor-john john Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:28:23 01 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes
Armax Bull Old 6919 PED Simon Snoopy Jade Sun, 19 Jun 2016 05:22:21 47 days, 03 hours, 06 minutes
Armax Bull Mature 5708 PED The Lone Deranger Tue, 03 May 2016 02:16:16 14 days, 04 hours, 59 minutes
Armax Bull Provider 2146 PED Neon Neon Matrix Mon, 18 Apr 2016 21:16:25 384 days, 21 hours, 03 minutes
Atrox Mature 1061 PED Pawlos brizbet Krasiasty Thu, 27 Oct 2016 16:20:58 01 days, 18 hours, 49 minutes
Atrox Mature 1007 PED LILU SCHANGRILA ANGEL Sun, 23 Oct 2016 03:32:15 03 hours, 03 minutes
Atrox Young 1028 PED Boriss Borius BG Sat, 22 Oct 2016 23:40:34 09 days, 00 hours, 29 minutes
Atrox Young 1010 PED Alannon The Gray Thu, 13 Oct 2016 23:10:52 02 days, 06 hours, 41 minutes
Atrox Old 1109 PED Chairman whatwouldjesusdo Edgewise Fri, 07 Oct 2016 21:06:47 05 hours, 05 minutes
Atrox Mature 1142 PED 1of7 jag 22 Fri, 07 Oct 2016 11:19:21 20 hours, 20 minutes
Atrox Young 2911 PED Sir John Freeman Thu, 06 Oct 2016 05:58:46 15 hours, 15 minutes
Atrox Mature 1086 PED someones pistnbroke again Tue, 04 Oct 2016 06:00:58 12 hours, 12 minutes
Atrox Mature 1175 PED Don Cool Hunter Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:25:19 03 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes
Atrox Mature 1258 PED Fred Fornon Nonda Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:43:54 06 days, 15 hours, 12 minutes
Atrox Old 1043 PED sss shaun27 Deathray Sun, 18 Sep 2016 05:31:19 02 hours, 02 minutes
Combibo Mature 1922 PED matt matt67 terr Wed, 10 Feb 2016 06:55:56 253 days, 08 hours, 52 minutes
Kerberos Mature 1701 PED Austikas mazukas Re Fri, 21 Oct 2016 17:19:55 17 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes
Kerberos Young 1114 PED Mitzgrad Mitz Stonebreaker Tue, 04 Oct 2016 05:19:40 113 days, 21 hours, 23 minutes
Kerberos Guardian 4321 PED Todd ThrashMaster Pankonin Sun, 12 Jun 2016 07:56:13 78 days, 04 hours, 41 minutes
Kerberos Old 2303 PED epic hunt mo Sat, 26 Mar 2016 03:14:18 10 days, 11 hours, 19 minutes
Kerberos Young 1125 PED Adele Kittin Caulfield Sun, 06 Mar 2016 04:54:52 39 days, 07 hours, 45 minutes
Kerberos Guardian 7323 PED pacifisti Tue, 26 Jan 2016 21:09:12 56 days, 12 hours, 18 minutes

Stop. Making. Things. Up.

It isn't really about being lucky, it's about finding perfect match in values. ;)
Even if values for the build up have changed here and there, basics are still the same.

Argonaut Young 2802 PED Forrest Forrest Park Thu, 18 Aug 2016 23:03:24 02 days, 03 hours, 44 minutes
Argonaut Scout 3898 PED doctor doctor-john john Sun, 31 Jan 2016 10:28:23 01 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes
Armax Bull Old 6919 PED Simon Snoopy Jade Sun, 19 Jun 2016 05:22:21 47 days, 03 hours, 06 minutes
Armax Bull Mature 5708 PED The Lone Deranger Tue, 03 May 2016 02:16:16 14 days, 04 hours, 59 minutes
Armax Bull Provider 2146 PED Neon Neon Matrix Mon, 18 Apr 2016 21:16:25 384 days, 21 hours, 03 minutes
Atrox Mature 1061 PED Pawlos brizbet Krasiasty Thu, 27 Oct 2016 16:20:58 01 days, 18 hours, 49 minutes
Atrox Mature 1007 PED LILU SCHANGRILA ANGEL Sun, 23 Oct 2016 03:32:15 03 hours, 03 minutes
Atrox Young 1028 PED Boriss Borius BG Sat, 22 Oct 2016 23:40:34 09 days, 00 hours, 29 minutes
Atrox Young 1010 PED Alannon The Gray Thu, 13 Oct 2016 23:10:52 02 days, 06 hours, 41 minutes
Atrox Old 1109 PED Chairman whatwouldjesusdo Edgewise Fri, 07 Oct 2016 21:06:47 05 hours, 05 minutes
Atrox Mature 1142 PED 1of7 jag 22 Fri, 07 Oct 2016 11:19:21 20 hours, 20 minutes
Atrox Young 2911 PED Sir John Freeman Thu, 06 Oct 2016 05:58:46 15 hours, 15 minutes
Atrox Mature 1086 PED someones pistnbroke again Tue, 04 Oct 2016 06:00:58 12 hours, 12 minutes
Atrox Mature 1175 PED Don Cool Hunter Mon, 03 Oct 2016 17:25:19 03 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes
Atrox Mature 1258 PED Fred Fornon Nonda Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:43:54 06 days, 15 hours, 12 minutes
Atrox Old 1043 PED sss shaun27 Deathray Sun, 18 Sep 2016 05:31:19 02 hours, 02 minutes
Combibo Mature 1922 PED matt matt67 terr Wed, 10 Feb 2016 06:55:56 253 days, 08 hours, 52 minutes
Kerberos Mature 1701 PED Austikas mazukas Re Fri, 21 Oct 2016 17:19:55 17 days, 12 hours, 00 minutes
Kerberos Young 1114 PED Mitzgrad Mitz Stonebreaker Tue, 04 Oct 2016 05:19:40 113 days, 21 hours, 23 minutes
Kerberos Guardian 4321 PED Todd ThrashMaster Pankonin Sun, 12 Jun 2016 07:56:13 78 days, 04 hours, 41 minutes
Kerberos Old 2303 PED epic hunt mo Sat, 26 Mar 2016 03:14:18 10 days, 11 hours, 19 minutes
Kerberos Young 1125 PED Adele Kittin Caulfield Sun, 06 Mar 2016 04:54:52 39 days, 07 hours, 45 minutes
Kerberos Guardian 7323 PED pacifisti Tue, 26 Jan 2016 21:09:12 56 days, 12 hours, 18 minutes

Stop. Making. Things. Up.

im not making things up. most of these barely go over 1k which i wouldnt consider big. pre2013 there were 10k argos 2 or 3 times a week. now u dont ever see a 10k argo young. also check the dates on most of these. and atrox young is an easy mob but nothing a fresh noob could hunt. i guess you should stop making things up. but well you will say something against me anyway. even if im right. so i dont really give a crap bout your opinion if u dont have a valid argument. what i was saying is that pre2013 fresh noobs could get BIG hits (not 1-2k but easily 5k+) and that this is barely impossible nowadays. but thanks for pointing it out with this list.

im not making things up. most of these barely go over 1k which i wouldnt consider big. pre2013 there were 10k argos 2 or 3 times a week. now u dont ever see a 10k argo young. also check the dates on most of these. and atrox young is an easy mob but nothing a fresh noob could hunt. i guess you should stop making things up. but well you will say something against me anyway. even if im right. so i dont really give a crap bout your opinion if u dont have a valid argument. what i was saying is that pre2013 fresh noobs could get BIG hits (not 1-2k but easily 5k+) and that this is barely impossible nowadays. but thanks for pointing it out with this list.

You had 10k+ argonauts because literally everyone was hunting them. Last 30 days, there have been <1500 globals (excluding elites as they are not the same thing). You would have 10x this back when the argo field at twin was being hunted 24/7.

You should learn how input = output in this game. Is it a surprise that the hofs were 10x the size and the amount of hunters was 10x as many? Now, everyone skips the "easy" mobs thanks to punies & fast skilling. You can be level 30 within 3 months, easy.

On that list, within 30 days, there were two low maturity armax bull 5k+. I picked 5 mob types and showed 24 1k+ - you said there would be "maybe once / year if you're lucky".

You had 10k+ argonauts because literally everyone was hunting them. Last 30 days, there have been <1500 globals (excluding elites as they are not the same thing). You would have 10x this back when the argo field at twin was being hunted 24/7.

You should learn how input = output in this game. Is it a surprise that the hofs were 10x the size and the amount of hunters was 10x as many? Now, everyone skips the "easy" mobs thanks to punies & fast skilling. You can be level 30 within 3 months, easy.

On that list, within 30 days, there were two low maturity armax bull 5k+. I picked 5 mob types and showed 24 1k+ - you said there would be "maybe once / year if you're lucky".

Loot distribution has changed since the times of regular 10k argos (drones, feffoids, etc'), there is no doubt about it. The variance is much lower now, steady returns and (almost) no huge 10k hofs on small mobs. It doesn't matter how many argos are killed you won't get as many big hofs. I, and probably many others as well, killed thousands of them before and after the change and it is simply a different loot mechanism.

Same is true for mining, the variance of deposit sizes has been reduced greatly.

then where is the 10k+ kerb young or old or whatever? it has at least the same amount of kills as the argos back then. it looks like you are actively denying the change of the loot system in jan 2013.

Loot distribution has changed since the times of regular 10k argos (drones, feffoids, etc'), there is no doubt about it. The variance is much lower now, steady returns and (almost) no huge 10k hofs on small mobs. It doesn't matter how many argos are killed you won't get as many big hofs. I, and probably many others as well, killed thousands of them before and after the change and it is simply a different loot mechanism.

Same is true for mining, the variance of deposit sizes has been reduced greatly.

ye. the biggest aths to date were unamped in mining. but since jan 2013 the mining fun is gone, no possibility andmore to hit a planetside tower unamped. let alone an ath. no matter what size. that basically took away all the thrill of mining.

Different mechanism if you mean values used for the build up in loot,
still same mechanism if you mean how it's built up for payout in loot. :)
I.e 5yrs ago a perfect match could give way more than a perfect match today,
but the mechanism for the perfect match is still the same.

I have seen the game pay me back spent ped for stupid mistakes I have made during mining and a lot of players think the same, I just have to get thru this period of bad loot to get to the global. If there is no bad loot, there are no funds for that global..

well its exactly the same like a slot machine. people pay in money and the money the machine can pay out rises. if nobody pays the machine then nobody can get something

well its exactly the same like a slot machine. people pay in money and the money the machine can pay out rises. if nobody pays the machine then nobody can get something

I would agree with that... What I think happens is that each location on the ground is linked with other locations almost like portals or doors, some swing both ways, some only swing inwards sucking in peds without returning them but stacking them up at a outwards swinging door. These doors lead to higher dimensions of loot both physically and mathematically.

If door a leads to a dim that can only store 50 ped, the first person to open it when its full, gets the loot :)

I would agree with that... What I think happens is that each location on the ground is linked with other locations almost like portals or doors, some swing both ways, some only swing inwards sucking in peds without returning them but stacking them up at a outwards swinging door. These doors lead to higher dimensions of loot both physically and mathematically.

If door a leads to a dim that can only store 50 ped, the first person to open it when its full, gets the loot :)
maxresdefault.jpg

Back