PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mature
    Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Olivia Petty

Is it time for the community to work together on a successor to Entropedia?

Entropedia seems to have a ever increasing stability issues. 711 has also done a database dump indicating that Entropedia's age is showing and its future is potentially in question.

With all the outages there becomes a ever increasing risk of the data falling out of date. For example the map data, revive zones, teleporter locations, mob spawns, mining spawns is all out of date due to the map being offline for years.

With that in mind, I have made this thread to ask the question. Is it time that Entropia's community as a whole works together to create the successor of Entropedia to ensure the future of this great resource and to enable stuff like the map data which requires regular updates to resume being updated?
    Last edited by Olivia Petty; 10-26-2016 at 15:55. Reason: Updated to better reflect the situation.

Site Admin
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just to be clear, there is no chance that the existing data will be lost. I have multiple redundant backups of the Entropedia database, as do other members of the community.

Of course, if a group of community members wish to work together on a project to create an updated and more reliable website and interface for the data, I would support that effort.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Maria Mesh
    Society
    tAS->Entropia Asia Cadets->Entropia Asia->Zoku->NBK->NBK Entrepreneur->Kaos->the Ministry
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A nice editable google spreadsheet or series of them perhaps... I suspect some don't update wikis due to the wiki formatting itself

I would be interested and willing to volunteer towards a project if a proper group and plan is assembled. I could offer 10 or so hours a week. Front-end web development and graphic design. PM me if something happens.

Gender | Ingame
    Female | Female
    Aio Dakina
    Society
    Veterans
    Images
    If it were to happen, I much prefer data entry to be handled by a few (user submissions to a queue to then be moderated perhaps) rather than "by anyone".

Also, it would be nice to have a clear definition between historic data (Imk2 dropping from Umbranoid) and "modern" data.

But yes, I think the lack of a functioning and up-to-date wiki is a negative point for the game.

Dominant
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Female
    Lucy Minera Zalvatori
    Society
    NBK Army
    Images
    I'll also put in some hours if needed! Been in this game since 2004, and I've been using Entropedia a lot, time to pay back.
    Im working with project management, graphical-design, front-end design (mostly smartphone apps but been doing a lot of web the last 10+ years as well), highly experienced with all kinds of different CMS systems.

I've been a bit annoyed with the front end, I think its messy and pretty slow to play around with. Although the data is something to die for as a new player in Entropia. It needs to be presented respectful

Not sure how to move forward though? Maybe gather everyone willing to help in a slack group, hangout or similar to see what we've got and what we've missing when it comes to workforce?

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Sir Matt Copping
    Society
    Universal Holdings
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Entropedia really needs to have its information updated, no reason to start another site imo.

Prowler
    Scurvy Sityl LaRoux
    Society
    Apocalyptic Uprising
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Entropedia really needs to have its information updated, no reason to start another site imo.
    Except that it goes down for over a week at a time.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Magnus Svarog
    Society
    freelancer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scurvy Sityl View Post
    Except that it goes down for over a week at a time.
    Still better than if 10 people will come up with their own versions which no one will update.

Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Max Hec Walker
    Society
    The Absolute
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Agreed update info, pull admin status from existing and give to someone who can get the maps working again, and perhaps later on optimize some of the existing custom code?

The problem with having 1 or 2 people able to edit is too reminiscent of why entropedia is dying. Because the last 2 admins had lost interest and just disappeared for maybe 2 years each?
    OFC the "current" admin went on about creating a new website too...
    Which imho indicated from the get go he wasn't interested in entropedia at all, just wanted the data.

Is there a list of all the previous attempts and sim-to websites over the years???
    Could be an eye opener for some...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast