Is it time for the community to work together on a successor to Entropedia?

Olivia Petty

Mature
Olivia
Entropedia seems to have a ever increasing stability issues. 711 has also done a database dump indicating that Entropedia's age is showing and its future is potentially in question.

With all the outages there becomes a ever increasing risk of the data falling out of date. For example the map data, revive zones, teleporter locations, mob spawns, mining spawns is all out of date due to the map being offline for years.

With that in mind, I have made this thread to ask the question. Is it time that Entropia's community as a whole works together to create the successor of Entropedia to ensure the future of this great resource and to enable stuff like the map data which requires regular updates to resume being updated?

Last edited:
Just to be clear, there is no chance that the existing data will be lost. I have multiple redundant backups of the Entropedia database, as do other members of the community.

Of course, if a group of community members wish to work together on a project to create an updated and more reliable website and interface for the data, I would support that effort.

A nice editable google spreadsheet or series of them perhaps... I suspect some don't update wikis due to the wiki formatting itself

I would be interested and willing to volunteer towards a project if a proper group and plan is assembled. I could offer 10 or so hours a week. Front-end web development and graphic design. PM me if something happens.

If it were to happen, I much prefer data entry to be handled by a few (user submissions to a queue to then be moderated perhaps) rather than "by anyone".

Also, it would be nice to have a clear definition between historic data (Imk2 dropping from Umbranoid) and "modern" data.

But yes, I think the lack of a functioning and up-to-date wiki is a negative point for the game.

I'll also put in some hours if needed! Been in this game since 2004, and I've been using Entropedia a lot, time to pay back.
Im working with project management, graphical-design, front-end design (mostly smartphone apps but been doing a lot of web the last 10+ years as well), highly experienced with all kinds of different CMS systems.

I've been a bit annoyed with the front end, I think its messy and pretty slow to play around with. Although the data is something to die for as a new player in Entropia. It needs to be presented respectful :)

Not sure how to move forward though? Maybe gather everyone willing to help in a slack group, hangout or similar to see what we've got and what we've missing when it comes to workforce?

Entropedia really needs to have its information updated, no reason to start another site imo.

Entropedia really needs to have its information updated, no reason to start another site imo.

Agreed update info, pull admin status from existing and give to someone who can get the maps working again, and perhaps later on optimize some of the existing custom code?

The problem with having 1 or 2 people able to edit is too reminiscent of why entropedia is dying. Because the last 2 admins had lost interest and just disappeared for maybe 2 years each?
OFC the "current" admin went on about creating a new website too...
Which imho indicated from the get go he wasn't interested in entropedia at all, just wanted the data.

Is there a list of all the previous attempts and sim-to websites over the years???
Could be an eye opener for some...

Still better than if 10 people will come up with their own versions which no one will update.

The most convenient interface (or rather, the least awkward) will win.

There's been an alternative wiki for lootius-knows-how-many-years but few people update it because the interface sucks even more than entropedia did.

Me and a friend has hired a programmer that is working on a reconstruction of the old entropedia, initially just to make it in a modern code and stable and fast. Its not finnished yet but I have good hopes that he will show us a Product in a few Days allready.

//Linzey

Me and a friend has hired a programmer that is working on a reconstruction of the old entropedia, initially just to make it in a modern code and stable and fast. Its not finnished yet but I have good hopes that he will show us a Product in a few Days allready.

//Linzey

That is good news....and I, for one, want to thank you on behalf of the EU community for this effort.

//Linzey

Wow awesome!!

//Linzey

Great News, ty :D

//Linzey

Awesome! :dunce:

Can't wait to use it :D

//Linzey

Great news! can't wait to trial it! :yay:

Yes!!!!! I miss that site :yay:

I use Entropedia on a regular basis and now that it is down it becomes very clear how often I use it. Been trying the site everyday since it went down now. :(

Not being a programmer/designer I can't really contribute directly. However throwing peds at something will usually result in an improvement, as long as there are reliable and competent people on the receiving end. So would it be possible to start some sort of "donation drive" to make necessary improvements? Not sure how though, will better servers help or is the issue something else?

Regarding starting a new wikisite, I think most of the utility and info on Entropedia is solid. Would however love to see a modernisation with bette interface, so maybe an overhaul and redesign?

/Luna

Since I'm a noob and I needed the weapon data, I took it upon myself to attempt to port the Mysql dump to NoSQL and create a MEAN-stack version. Yes, I know how y'all feel about having a bunch of forked versions, but I needed something.

There's still a lot to be done, but I have a basic weapon chart now that will do skill-based calculations, if anybody needs just that:

http://entropia.wiki

I'm working on amps next, sorry those are not currently available.

The data is from the Feb 2016 dump posted in a thread here, if 711 can provide a more updated one that would be amazing.

a post about stuff
This is a great start so +rep. However, with multiple separate projects in the works I will say that only one of them can win out; otherwise data is sure to be even less complete than Entropedia ever was. Entropedia is and was a great product that I have used almost without fail every day in game (provided that it wasn't down). But with 711 showing his support of a potential new wiki and with Entropedia having been increasingly unreliable over the past couple of years, I think this effort is a great idea. I am lost without a proper wiki! :(

Perhaps Mindarks ol community rep can stand up and get something done?

Also we'd need to think about the domain name registration, that is currently still in the name of Witte.
Witte however no longer plays PE, nor does he even still live in the same country.

The domain name entropiawiki.com will be up for grabs again in less than a year - my limited knowledge of these things is that anyone can resister the domain in his/her name after that, and that there is no action or even consent from Witte required.
Please anyone with more knowledge on the topic correct me if wrong.

Code:
entropiawiki.com registry whois
	Updated 1 second ago - Refresh
Domain ID: D18903866-LRMS
WHOIS Server:
Referral URL: http://www.moniker.com
Updated Date: 2016-06-26T03:52:11Z
Creation Date: 2007-07-07T17:14:17Z
[B]Registry Expiry Date: [U]2017-07-07[/U]T17:14:17Z[/B]
Sponsoring Registrar: Moniker Online Services LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 228
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: MONIKER1321422
Registrant Name: Pepijn Bicker

Is there a list of all the previous attempts and sim-to websites over the years???
Could be an eye opener for some...

I don't know of any list, I do know that Entropedia.info used to be PE-wiki.info, I did own that domain for a few years until the name change from PE to EU.
I know of at least two initiatives to rebuild/revamp/update/upgrade the entropedia that sort of...stranded.

This is a great start so +rep. However, with multiple separate projects in the works I will say that only one of them can win out; otherwise data is sure to be even less complete than Entropedia ever was. Entropedia is and was a great product that I have used almost without fail every day in game (provided that it wasn't down). But with 711 showing his support of a potential new wiki and with Entropedia having been increasingly unreliable over the past couple of years, I think this effort is a great idea. I am lost without a proper wiki! :(

Thanks, and I agree. I made it for myself since I needed the data and none of the other projects have surfaced yet. I decided to post what I've done so far (about a day's work) in case others need at least the basic weapon info, until something better comes along.

I will still keep working on it, as I have some ideas that I would like to see if for no other reason than my own benefit.

Also we'd need to think about the domain name registration, that is currently still in the name of Witte.
Witte however no longer plays PE, nor does he even still live in the same country.

The domain name entropiawiki.com will be up for grabs again in less than a year - my limited knowledge of these things is that anyone can resister the domain in his/her name after that, and that there is no action or even consent from Witte required.

Technically yes, but it's not that simple. When it expires it will go up for auction. Typically domain brokerage firms (the most vile scum of the Earth) will place backorder bids on domains of any value to monitor them; and if you are interested in participating in the auction you should also. If a domain broker obtains the domain, they will sit on it and not sell it for less than 300x what it's worth.

The only sure way of getting the domain without spending a fortune is to get the current owner to transfer it to you.

Code:
entropiawiki.com registry whois
	Updated 1 second ago - Refresh
Domain ID: D18903866-LRMS
WHOIS Server:
Referral URL: http://www.moniker.com
Updated Date: 2016-06-26T03:52:11Z
Creation Date: 2007-07-07T17:14:17Z
[B]Registry Expiry Date: [U]2017-07-07[/U]T17:14:17Z[/B]
Sponsoring Registrar: Moniker Online Services LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 228
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: MONIKER1321422
Registrant Name: Pepijn Bicker

I don't know of any list, I do know that Entropedia.info used to be PE-wiki.info, I did own that domain for a few years until the name change from PE to EU.
I know of at least two initiatives to rebuild/revamp/update/upgrade the entropedia that sort of...stranded.

It may also be set for auto renew by the owner....best way is to reach out to the current owner instead of waiting and hoping.

Hi

not sure if discussed here, but is it possible to parse loot directly to entropedia? We have entropialife parsing all kinds of stuff, maybe EPL team could work something out?

I'm not much into such solutions, so maybe it's not doable, but would be cool to just keep tracker running and it would update/compare current loots and timestamp it by "last VU xxx" etc. I have done some manual work to update Monria/Cyrene loots to wiki tables, but it gets old after some time. Some kind of automatization would be epic.

Hi

not sure if discussed here, but is it possible to parse loot directly to entropedia? We have entropialife parsing all kinds of stuff, maybe EPL team could work something out?

I'm not much into such solutions, so maybe it's not doable, but would be cool to just keep tracker running and it would update/compare current loots and timestamp it by "last VU xxx" etc. I have done some manual work to update Monria/Cyrene loots to wiki tables, but it gets old after some time. Some kind of automatization would be epic.
Entropia Tracker gets all its data from the chat log, so it can only track loot in the chat window (rare loot, items looted in team, etc.).

The loot is visible only in teams and there is no way to know what a mob was that. It would be doable for globals/hofs situations, but the loot content from them hardly can represent the mob's average loot.

Hi

As others pointed out, this data is not logged by the Entropia client.

One weekend I put together a crude program that allowed me to take a screenshot and then it used OCR to scan the loot notifications. I was thinking it would be neat to log loot trends while I hunt. It turned out to be highly problematic. For one, the notifications are rounded (e.g. less than a PEC = 0.00), so the numbers were not accurate. Second, you had to be careful that all the notifications were cleared before the next kill or they would get rescanned, so it slowed you down on small mobs. Third, there was no mob association, so it was only really useful if you were hunting a single mob and a single maturity of that mob. All-in-all, it was a bust. :-/

Technically yes, but it's not that simple. When it expires it will go up for auction. Typically domain brokerage firms (the most vile scum of the Earth) will place backorder bids on domains of any value to monitor them; and if you are interested in participating in the auction you should also. If a domain broker obtains the domain, they will sit on it and not sell it for less than 300x what it's worth.

The only sure way of getting the domain without spending a fortune is to get the current owner to transfer it to you.

and

It may also be set for auto renew by the owner....best way is to reach out to the current owner instead of waiting and hoping.

I'll see if I can get hold of him - he lives in the US nowadays and he's pretty much quit and sold out.
I'd be very surprised if he wants to hold on to the domain or has an objection against letting go of it.
I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Back