To continue or not to continue

That is the question....

I have a feeling this game is telling me I have spent enoughf time on it or something.I used to believe that I knew what I was doing after a while, but apparently it seems like I don`t.I don`t wanna rant ,i just don`t know where to go from here.I`m around 10.5k amped drops planetside and around 3k amped drops on foma.My best claims out of all this were a 230 ped caldorite foma and some 220ped lytarian planetside both on freaking Dclasses.This is how my returns look with no finder/ripper/amp MU calculations since I last hit anything worthy.Used lvl 5s and Dclasses on most drops ,and sometimes lvl 7s here and there.Used f212 and f213 on most of these drops.There also very little mu on what i got ,and that is not because i didnt aim for stuff with MU,i only mined after those.Most runs were above 500drops.

+93
+9

What to do ? I`m definatly not depositing.My bankroll is now in a pretty rough shape(around 3k i think).Hunting is definatly not my thing ,my best fking loot in around 150k mobs killed is a 260 ped hadrada so thats not gonna happen.Should I go back to unamped drops ?Should i put everything in a last run indoors ?Or should I just quit all togheter for a while ?

try foma with level 5:twocents:

You went straight to D-Class amped mining with only a 10k bankroll ....

Shoudl mine unamped till you understand mining, the locations of specific materials and depths. Only once you know that should you ever consider amping (unless just gamble mining)

Lv13 go big or go home !!:yay:

Shoudl mine unamped till you understand mining, the locations of specific materials and depths. Only once you know that should you ever consider amping (unless just gamble mining)

I did not go "straight" amped, and 13k amped drops of 3-5ped each does not mean 10k bankroll,thats not even the point.Also there are little to no locations I haven`t mined planet side on ark/calypso,at least none where there are resources with MU.

Then your cost to play is too high and you should look for a diversion elsewhere.

100% agree on this

You can only lose the amount of ped you commit into your runs.
Maybe you’re set for a tower, which may or may not pop after x amount of losses.

I used to do a ton of heavy hunting, 500 – 800 ped ammo runs + weapon and armour decay, over and over (for years).
I now run a max of 2 full x adjusted bolga whips per midweek evening. My total exposure is 2 x 210 peds + few ped armour, if I had ‘zero’ loot.

Besides it takes two hours to burn a full whip, so my risk is 210/2 = 105 ped an hour (if it was a gun that would be ammo + weapon).
My last two whips were -38 and -43 for 4 hours’ worth of 2 whips. I’ve had better runs, but the point I’m trying to make is my personal losses are limited to x amount of ped.

My worst runs were -70 for 210 ped whip, (I’ve not had worse than that).
I’m sure with amps on mining, your “risk” per hour is considerably higher than that.

How much “time” does it take to drop 210 x 1 ped probes non-amped?
What is your worst case loss (in general), taking that approach non-amped?

Sure you could have something big brewing, do you continue?…..there’s your risk/reward choice to make.

I’ve been here over 10 years, despite all the heavy hunting I never hit that big uber and I never expect it to happen (I gave up looking).

So I enjoy my new life in EU with less risk.

If you can’t cope with the swings cut your losses and do something that burns less ped per hour.
If you hunger for the massive hof swirls, I can’t help you. You’ll either burn out and die, or get very lucky.

Good luck with your choices.

Rick

Last edited:
Switch to planetside unamped. Try to use the most convenient finder MU-wise, but in same time of the latest generations (NOT preamped ones). My personal belief is that always latest generations have the lowest swings. The whole thing is not about doing something wrong (I would suppose you're not dropping each 20m), but about going with the game.

Also, stick to single drop, my choice would be enmatter. That will make it more boring, will greatly reduce the turnover, will limit the options because of mobs etc, but at least in theory it should let you chill. Also stick to max 3 resource, rest tt everything to not limit your fluidity.

A few things.... Only glanced at previous posts.

1) d-class amps on a 10k bankroll planetside is more than adequate.. however, if you are not getting at least 115% average markup you are losing.

2) Do not mix planetside and indoor mining.. you'll only further fuck yourself over

3) Do not amp jump... example unamped for 1k drops then 500 drops of d-class... you will only further fuck yourself over

4) Do not grind low markup areas (aka foma and 99% of caly)... even if you are unamped you need at least 112% markup to break even/profit... you will only further fuck yourself over

5) You must keep dropping... ending mining on a low streak is miserable and you will only further fuck yourself over long-term.

6) Mining requires an obscene amount of patience.. I've gone months planetside around 82-85% return and then hit 8k in hofs the following week, bringing me back to 95%+... I've done my fair share of bitching because sometimes the losses pile up and have a very negative psychological effect on me, but every time I learn that it all comes back in the end... no matter how bad the streak.

Judging from what you've posted (only losses/profits) none of us have much to go off of... I have no idea what your markup average is on your loot, how much TT input you have for each of those runs, how long you've been dropping, whether or not your hunting or crafting inbetween, and how much your total input/cycle has been. In order to give any more advice the community needs that data.

In summary, you need to just keep dropping, and if you're not getting adequate markup on your loot you need to find a different area, stop using big amps, stop mining, or any combination of those things.

A 10k bankroll is more than sufficient for outdoor mining with lvl 5 and d-class amps... it is also adequate for indoors unamped and lvl 2 amp mining, however... no bankroll is ever adequate where you're averaging 109% markup (for example) and paying 105.62% for D-class amps.. At that rate.. every 100k TT you spend you're going to lose ~7k ped..

See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nIjQPCvqVsObFzVz3eES7IB8EK0EZV8cw-fo2U8-l4M/edit?usp=sharing
See also https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?287791-Risk-of-Ruin-Bankroll-Management

mining is a fickle bitch

Point of this thread was not to whine about my losses.If you do not have time to read why bother replying.

My bankroll would be larger then 10k ped if I would consider cycling, since 13k drops on like 70% lvl5 and 30%Dclasses surpasses 40k ped ez.I did not mix unamped hits with amped.And aside from a couple 400 drop runs,all others were above ,some even over 1k.

I did not end up going from fruitwalking to doing 2kpeds runs a day over the fcking night.I know where are the MU resources and how to find them.

The only thing bothering me is the fact that in 13k freaking amped drops I got only 2 shitty hits of 200peds which I could have gotten unamped.Its not really about the peds,its more like it took a while and a lot of time besides the peds and I only got the middle finger in return.I mean i did not really expect towers or anything ,but a couple 500pedders would have been nice even if I didnt make a profit.

So the only thing I really ask if I should continue,go all in , or just take a break ?

buy as much lvl 13s as you can get and go to foma. if you end up losing u quit and if u end up winning you can continue

I've had plenty instances of 25k+ drops without hitting any multipliers worth while... granted it's always been indoors when I hit those streaks, it's nonetheless alarming and concerning.

Streaks like that I believe are highly unlikely but they do happen.

I think you just need to keep dropping.

5) You must keep dropping... ending mining on a low streak is miserable and you will only further fuck yourself over long-term.

Sounds like the old Gambler's Fallacy:

... the mistaken belief that, if something happens more frequently than normal during some period, it will happen less frequently in the future, or that, if something happens less frequently than normal during some period, it will happen more frequently in the future....

whats your avg markup per run ?

The return that this person displayed seems pretty normal for that level of amp and probably there will be a bigger HOF at the end, so with that logic this person should continue to drop probes. However, this person should only keep continue dropping probes if using a good mining strategy with consistency, decent bankroll and good avg markup. The bankroll displayed might not be enough to be able to survive longer losing streaks with that kind of amp.

Anyway, if the frustration is too high then I would recommend a break, since frustration in mining often leads to more riskful gambling and grief.

This part I have difficulties with. I have encountered the scenario in all three professions. That is, you have a regular dry period and then sometimes is the bloody dessert.

E.g. my most regular hunting return, when all things go well, is 2-4 bad runs (75 to 80%) followed by 1 to 3 good runs (120 to 200%). That cycle leads, in various shapes, to an overall 98,5% to 100% tt over 5 to 10k.

That however is disrupted at some point (bankroll was never enough to keep grinding through) by constant 60 to 70%. From my limited experience, these periods are not normalized and is an anticamping engine of the game (I am curious as f* as consequence to see the logs of someone like Evey).

The thing which I saw working is to end there and change. Planet, profession, amplitude. Something. But by working, I mean survive to next deposit. So what am I saying might be a recipe for disaster, but I can't honestly agree that you should keep grinding through novas, no loots, fails and no finds just because "it might be there".

First days ov november I camped a mix spawn of snark young, snable and exa with bukin+a101. With 1k ped on card. I had to runaway in shame when the tt losses were acumulating in such a manner that a balancer on those mobs was less than probable and markup was far from helping with anything. Of course many will find this example laughable, but that is the norm for me,at some point I have to run to not get broke.

For conformity (not sharing the doc itself because is clumsy made :ahh: )

As is barely visible on the bottom of the screenshot, changed planet, mob and weapon and went into a cycle which had a chance to balance back the -100tt I had. But on the initial mobs, I have doubts that would have been possible with a multiplier so hard to get that I consider gambling to count on it.

And after a couple of unfriendly mobs, normality (which I broke apart to go in Halloween instances ffs)

Last edited:
just give up, drop all your equipment at the nearest tp and log out forever... j/k... If returns are crap stop playing a while and relog in in a couple of months... just make sure you don't wait over the 90 days or whatever it is before MA takes over your junk and TTs it all... (j/k ;))

I think it was Falk that hinted at some sort of balance mechanism in his journal from 2009. Personally I think that there is a balancer and that is what I am looking for at the moment :)

Amped mining in the current economy means you are starting your run 5 or 6 % under for your amp cost. Mark up on most minerals just doesn't make it worthwhile. Considering this, if you amp, you gamble. It sucks but that's the nature of it all right now until MA decides to change it, which is likely never :rolleyes:

It is simple. Unamped with UL finder/extractor you need 110% avg MU to break even over time. That is your 90% tt return plus 10% to get you to even. If you use amps you need to make that much more in MU. Unfortunately, there are very few areas left, if any, where this MU is consistently possible.

It is simple. Unamped with UL finder/extractor you need 110% avg MU to break even over time. That is your 90% tt return plus 10% to get you to even. If you use amps you need to make that much more in MU. Unfortunately, there are very few areas left, if any, where this MU is consistently possible.

so your basically telling us mining is garbage right now unless you are high end?

Reactions: 3-J
Unless you simply enjoy the exciting and fascinating 1 button gameplay of dropping bombs and drilling claims, I would not bother mining unless you are ready to put in the time and PEDs necessary to map out several planets, examine market trends and effectively chase 120%+ average MU on your runs. Once you've done that, patience and bankroll are all you need to succeed as a miner.

You're competing against a horde of gamblers that are constantly gleefully undercutting each other and crashing prices. There is not much money to be made unless you have a bankroll that can support massive turnover and the correct information so you can target maximum markup. Or the patience to hold on to your loot and only sell during price spikes.

This is a game mate.

Are you having fun? If not, than don't do it anymore.

If you don't know how to break even/ make profit mining. Then don't mine unless you are having fun.

You need a lot of knowledge, skills, the right equipment to make profit from mining these days. There are just to many miners out there so you might just as well hunt. Hunt returns are less volatile in the end. :twocents:

I like Peter Gabriel songs, I like Kate Bush songs, but as of 2 minutes ago I never knew of this 'combined' one.

Anyway, dont give up, but make sure you are enjoying Entropia or alter your playstyle until you are. :)

Back