Vive - Rift or Other

moondog

Stalker
Society
Stockholm Syndrome
Charley Moondog 1969
Ok So I have been working abroad for a couple of years and I am due to return to my native UK at Christmas. When I took this job I promised to reward myself with a VR headset and new gaming PC to run it. I have researched the PC and I know what I want.

My problem is, I was always going to get the Oculus Rift as there has obviously been development on this unit with EU. However is this still the best VR unit to choose for EU, I have just been offered a VIVE set up by a friend but I do not know what it's compatibility with EU is. Is either one better for EU or is there a unit that would work even better.

The whole VR thing in EU seems to have gone quiet over the last year. Is anyone out there actually running EU through any VR headset on a regular basis, if so please could you comment here on pros, cons, usability etc.

Regards

Moondog

Interesting - does that mean nobody is using VR in EU at the moment, or nobody wants to talk about it, or it is that good that anyone using it is too busy to read the forumns ????????????????

VR for a moving FPS like this one will just make you ill from motion sickness.

VIVE is far better than Oculus Rift, but I wouldn't use either for this type of game.

Hi Aio,

Thank you for the response, I was actually thinking that the motion sickness issue is why my friend is trying to sell his Vive.

Regards

Moondog

I have the HTC Vive and use it for playing games, including a popular MMO space game, that have been designed specifically for virtual reality. The motion sickness isn't an issue at all for me; which I attribute to two things: 1. most people get used to motion inside VR after a while, and 2. most games/VR experience developers are very sensitive to the issue of motion sickness and have designed their games to minimize any issues.

While I love to drop into Entropia to play from time to time even after 10 years, it is not a game I would play wearing a VR headset... unless or until MA decides to release a version developed specifically for VR, which I doubt they will do.

There are several applications which adapt conventional games for playing with a VR headset( VORPX), but there seem to be a lot of issues tuning games to a point where they are actually playable. I haven't tried any of these apps myself; perhaps someone else has tried to adapt Entropia for VR.

Don't recommend it unless u plan buying some additional controllers for "VR" games.

Racing is fun. But only if u have the steering, pedals and Stick
I do recommend Elite Dangerous but again, u need the throttle and stick.

I wouldn't see Entropia VR being used often as u would look around while u shoot the mob, look around when mining, look around when crafting.

Most current VR games are short and kinda dull after a few tries. Reminds me of "Eye Toy" when it came out.

And keep in mind that VIVE 2 is already planned and due in 2017 i think. So would wait until the next gen comes as they will prob add or fix issues with the current Vive.

If u could have the Virtuix with Vive + Entropia. It could be fun. And nice training when out mining :D

Thank you for the responses, I think I will settle for the new gaming PC for now and see what the future holds. Strangely I have had this idea on my wish list for 5 years now so good to know it is not quite there yet.

I have an oculus dk2 for nearly 2 years now. Never got it to work with entropia.
Mainly playing elite dangerous with it. I even "constructed" a special flight chair with stick and throttle build into the chair. Really awesome!

Would love to play entropia with it though, altough it will have some drawbacks due to the low res. Texts are harder to read.
But it will be the future of gaming for sure!

Viva la Vive

Im getting a Vive regardless if it works with entropia universe - i'm not hopeful about vr entropia. but i am pumped for the vive- now lets talk about facebook. I won't get the rift because of facebook.

so do i wait for the next iteration of the vive or order it now?

Im getting a Vive regardless if it works with entropia universe - i'm not hopeful about vr entropia. but i am pumped for the vive- now lets talk about facebook. I won't get the rift because of facebook.

so do i wait for the next iteration of the vive or order it now?

I dont have facebook but I do have a rift.
So whats the issue with facebook then?

Get the vive I have it and the roomscale is so much better then on the oculus with its basically just "sit or stand but don't move"

I have the HTC Vive and use it for playing games, including a popular MMO space game, that have been designed specifically for virtual reality. The motion sickness isn't an issue at all for me; which I attribute to two things: 1. most people get used to motion inside VR after a while, and 2. most games/VR experience developers are very sensitive to the issue of motion sickness and have designed their games to minimize any issues.

While I love to drop into Entropia to play from time to time even after 10 years, it is not a game I would play wearing a VR headset... unless or until MA decides to release a version developed specifically for VR, which I doubt they will do.

There are several applications which adapt conventional games for playing with a VR headset( VORPX), but there seem to be a lot of issues tuning games to a point where they are actually playable. I haven't tried any of these apps myself; perhaps someone else has tried to adapt Entropia for VR.

Just an FYI but that game was not designed for VR. It was an added feature years after the games release. Eu can do it too.

I have both

- Roomscale : VIVE (and yes I have the touch from Oculus too)
- Image/View : RIFT

Conclusion

Get both :)

Atami

Back