Youtube copyright claims on EU videos

SnowLeopard

Stalker
Society
Guess Who
Gray SnowLeopard Felix
The first video of EU I uploaded to YouTube instantly received a copyright infringement claim, which I disputed since I do not have any music in my video -- only regular gameplay sounds. Obviously, it's the stupid automated matching system fucking up... but their false accusation should not go unpunished! What happened to the accuser having to prove guilt rather than accused having to prove innocence?
Two other videos have had claims by the same exact publisher/song/artist:
Sphinx - Original Mix - War Machine Triple Vision Record Distribution On behalf of: Cyclone Recordings​

Here is info about the track
It says "released 2014-04-21"... I'm pretty sure the sounds they claim are theirs have existed since long before that.

Maybe MindArk should file a complaint against them, accusing them of sampling Entropia game sounds, and claiming all revenue for that track plus damages.

I'm lazy so I will just say "using only regular gameplay sounds" is not "Hey, Snowleopold you can use that music in any youtube video you like"
Also remeber the great SC YouTube incident - shiting down stream after crowd start singing happy birthday.
And also if A paid B for song C to be in game D that doesn't mean E can use song C in video F.
I don't know who actually owns the stuff just sharing info.

I'm lazy so I will just say "using only regular gameplay sounds" is not "Hey, Snowleopold you can use that music in any youtube video you like"
Also remeber the great SC YouTube incident - shiting down stream after crowd start singing happy birthday.
And also if A paid B for song C to be in game D that doesn't mean E can use song C in video F.

Yup, axemurder is right.
Simply put dont worry about it.
If you still do then you have a loong loong way to go. No one from youtube will actually listen to your video to disguise if the sounds should be or shouldnt be copyrighted. Even if they do it will mean nothing to you since you dont own them. Company that owns them will get paid from ur video, then if the sounds are the same ones from that some production company made for mindark they will split the profits according to their contract. Once again nothing here for you. One thing is here for you thou. If you raise a claim and it gets far enough u may be requested to show proof (documentation) that you can use such sounds in your video. I know sounds silly but thats how it works.
Now do you have a documentation that you can use those songs/sounds?

I most use my own music in all of my over 90 You tup vids. Since then i have no more problems with copyright stuff.

The only one i got a warning, was if i made the "let it rock" Entropia video for the contest, by using the sound, we had to use for this.

So i just made a own remix of that song, and since then i can use also this, without getting any problems.

E should absolutely be able to use song C in video F, if it is used in A's game (and obviously A already paid for the rights) that E is streaming, it should overwhelmingly fall into the category of 'fair use'. YouTube copyright flagging is a pathetic joke, you even have a good percentage of random losers who flag videos who have nothing whatsoever to do with the content, and filing a counter claim is an even bigger joke.

E should absolutely be able to use song C in video F, if it is used in A's game (and obviously A already paid for the rights) that E is streaming, it should overwhelmingly fall into the category of 'fair use'. YouTube copyright flagging is a pathetic joke, you even have a good percentage of random losers who flag videos who have nothing whatsoever to do with the content, and filing a counter claim is an even bigger joke.

I will repeat myself. A paid for song to be in the game not on youtube, newspaper, radio, TV, concerts ...

Googles/YouTube's policy is simple. If their detection mechanism flags some copy right infringements or if enough people flag/report your stuff they will take it down without investigation.

The appeal process only exists on paper but not in practice.

Google/YouTube are basically a scam in that regard. Ever faced a clip being taken down for no other reason than using tags or titles that Google wants you to pay for advertising rather than using the free platforms? Anyone ever tried uploading a clip about 'Earning money online' or 'Working with Google Algorithms'? Usually takes few days or few weeks until some (fictitious) person flags it for scam/fraud and it'll be taken down.

No redress, no nothing.

It's destroying small businesses and peoples reps for years already.

Do no evil... my a$$

There's literally hundreds of EU videos on YouTube, most of them featuring in-game music (quite often full tracks), made by lots of different people (incl. yours truly) and I have never before heard about any copyright problems.

Whenever I tried to use external soundtrack, however, it was instantly detected by YouTube and, depending on copyright holder's policy, either muted or allowed to use with certain restrictions (usually not accessible from mobile devices).
It's a fully automated system that scans and matches the soundtracks ofc. Afaik, this built-in system has never misfired and never falsely flagged any Entropia tracks (so far). Which doesn't mean some errors may slip in in the future... No wonder seeing how actively this software is developed lately.

If you were falsely accused by a mischievous another YouTube user, well, that's not so bad. Protest this and there's greater chance to get the false infringement removed than getting your SC resolved by EU Support... :tongue2: Might take a few weeks thou, be patient.

And yes, Google is a soulless evil monster, there's no doubt about it. It's just that they try to hide their true nature and leave a good impression in the public. Which is good, we can use that to our advantage as long as it lasts... :)

There's literally hundreds of EU videos on YouTube, most of them featuring in-game music (quite often full tracks), made by lots of different people (incl. yours truly) and I have never before heard about any copyright problems.

Whenever I tried to use external soundtrack, however, it was instantly detected by YouTube and, depending on copyright holder's policy, either muted or allowed to use with certain restrictions (usually not accessible from mobile devices).

I created a few with copyrighted soundtracks and never got any difficulties nor was slapped with restrictions. I put the credit in description, and the automated system also detected it as said. I was then only asked to confirm with one click that I agree to them monetizing it through advertising and crediting the legal owner with their share. Did that and this was all I ever heard of it.

There are a few songs that were created for EU (I believe Arkadia specifically) which do indeed give the 3rd party warning.

For my own entropia related video's I use the old EU soundtrack which was available through a link on these forums once (too lazy to look it up) and those do not give a warning. There is also the EU soundcloud where you might be able to get music from, but I don't know if those will give the 3rd party warning on youtube too.

Ask ND to add a "Copyright Troll" mob to RT so that you can go and shoot them. :)

I've only uploaded 1 video with video game content that used a song by a musician with a flair for issuing takedown notices and fast. (no I didn't mash the video and music together, it was someone else).
Anyways I praised them and put links to their website and strongly encouraged people to buy from them.
And very strangely a couple years later my video is still up. At the time of uploading I completely expected it to be taken down within hours btw. Sometimes youtube and all that stuff seems crazy to me. :scratch2:

For those interested in Fair Use and copyrights - :wise:
There's a video using Disney movies... :eyecrazy:
A Fair(y) Use Tale

I created a few with copyrighted soundtracks and never got any difficulties nor was slapped with restrictions. I put the credit in description, and the automated system also detected it as said. I was then only asked to confirm with one click that I agree to them monetizing it through advertising and crediting the legal owner with their share. Did that and this was all I ever heard of it.

The mechanism they use is mostly from song patterns/signatures from music in the Google music library. When im using a song thay isn't there, such as many trance tracks, I havent had problems... which doesn't mean it's legal however.

The mechanism they use is mostly from song patterns/signatures from music in the Google music library. When im using a song thay isn't there, such as many trance tracks, I havent had problems... which doesn't mean it's legal however.

Yes... I meant to say that it is perfectly legal to use copyrighted material if you don't try to circumvent the rules in any way. You know the stuff is owned by someone and expect them to find it out by their fingerprinting mechanism, then let them do their thing with it. That is all. If they don't find the owner at once if they haven't scanned a piece yet, I don't know if this could mean a problem. But I'd assume since you accept their system, any deficit should be their responsibility and not yours since you have no control over it. Expect to receive a message and be required to make a decision when they catch up. This should be buried somewhere in the smallprint, if someone is so inclined to study it. I avoid doubt by using only materials of which I know source and ownership. Some artists and companies have not agreed to this type of licensing, in such a case you just have to accept their No and pick something else.

Opinions and continued debate on copyright law notwithstanding, the system has much improved from the days of horror when they persecuted school kids for thousands of dollars for unwittingly using a song they happened to like. I hate a lot of the ways modern life lays legal traps that can outright destroy people, but here they found a pragmatic and graceful solution for once.

I haven't explained it right or I am not being understood.

How can anyone claim audio copyright on this video?

I created a highlight on Twitch from the original 1h52 video starting 5 seconds before the "infringing portion" and ending 5 seconds after. As soon as the export to YouTube was completed, the email with "A copyright owner using Content ID has claimed some material in your video." arrived.

So, if the claimant is correct, shouldn't they also be going after MindArk for using their sounds as background noise in the game?

I haven't explained it right or I am not being understood.

How can anyone claim audio copyright on this video?

I created a highlight on Twitch from the original 1h52 video starting 5 seconds before the "infringing portion" and ending 5 seconds after. As soon as the export to YouTube was completed, the email with "A copyright owner using Content ID has claimed some material in your video." arrived.

So, if the claimant is correct, shouldn't they also be going after MindArk for using their sounds as background noise in the game?

There is nothing to see in the video :D
If you are so concerned about it, use video manager and just edit that part out. It takes a while for lokg videos but i bet ur short video will be done in no time. Simply use youtube tool to remove copyrighted material which u can find under video manager.

If that doesnt satisfy you, then good luck fighting this out with google!

Cheers
Soko

EU uses sound effects from licensed sound effects libraries. The terms and conditions of these libraries are such that the licensee can use the sounds as they wish, or sometimes for certain specified uses. A third party who has not bought a licence to use them is not legally allowed to use the same sounds, which means that technically the re-use of those sounds in a YouTube video is a copyright infringement by both the content creator and by YouTube themselves.

While that is the letter of the law, I've never heard of anyone else ever having a video removed for this reason, and the effects libraries themselves are not typically aggressive about pursuing such infringements. Certainly they are nowhere near as aggressive as many music rights-owners, not least because it's much more difficult to identify infringements.

Look what appeared in my inbox:
Hi Snow Leopard,

Good news! Your dispute wasn't reviewed within 30 days, so the copyright claim on your YouTube video has now been released.

Video title: "nothing worth watching (feffox hunt)"

- The YouTube Team

Back