Entropia Moving to Lumberyard

AxeMurderer

Elite
Wand AxeMurderer Silva
Now after Star citizen doing it I was wondering if it is good idea or may be even the only way forward :scratch2:

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

May be it will lower the cost, improve the lag and make it easy for expanding the player base :scratch2:

No Cryengine 2 is way more advanced!

How would it lower the cost, if whole EU would have to be reimplemented on a different engine again?!? :scratch2:

sure, lumberyard is a cryengine fork, but in over 12 years of cryengine's existence 4 different generations were developed. i bet my avatar that a) it's incompatible anyways to whatever mindark did to poor CE2, and b) chances are close to zero that mindark can fix it in a reasonable time. :silly2:

Last edited:
If the decision was in my hands I would move to other engine, no doubt. Lumberyard also offers a lot of cloud and server tools, perfect for a MMO like this plus Lumberyard is VR-Ready.

The change would be a lot less troublesome than most people think, a lot easier than moving to CE2 in 2010 atleast.

The fact that Crytek is in deep financial trouble is just one more reason.

I doubt it's happening tho, sadly.

Lot of money and time would be required to uplift like that. Then we'd have more bitching about not getting to space. :)

I once changed the engine at a game. I never ever will do this, about it is near like start from scratch to do so.

Lumberyard will not help to make EU better. Cry2 engine is always a nice engine, no need to start from scratch by using a new engine. We also dont need a cloud. How should this improve eu?

The fininacial problems of the cry engine is not the end of this engine. They now more focus at the engine, instead in studios and making cry games. So they gave up studios all around the world.

If a new engine, then i would recoment to use Unreal engine. But then we have the same as by changing to cry engine. waiting years to get back our systems. Just remember the VU10 update, where near noting was implemented.

Why an established title like Entropia should take an example from a game that never was released?

There is zero reasons to change the engine, like it was zero reasons (apart from marketing) to switch from Gamebryo that could perfectly accommodate all the recent features from vehicles to space.

The game needs to be remade for proper VR support anyways...

Neh if I had to choose an engine it would be the Luminous Engine, the best around now. It is developed by Square Enix for final fantasy XV. The engine is based on both the Unreal or Unity engine and CryEngine.

And I must say, it looks awesome.

Here is anohter on, just look at the landscapes and creatures. ;)

Neh if I had to choose an engine it would be the Luminous Engine, the best around now. It is developed by Square Enix for final fantasy XV. The engine is based on both the Unreal or Unity engine and CryEngine.

And I must say, it looks awesome.

There is more, why ppl choosing this or those engine. The grafical look is one, but todays engine looks all near same good, if they are using DX12.

It is more asked, how easy it is to learn a engine, and what tools the engine is offer.
An example: cry engine model inport allow only Maya or 3Dmax into the pipeline. With unreal you can inport every FBX model, so you also can use Blender for this.

2. Example: How easy is it to code the game? In Cry engine you can use Lua,C++, C script. Into Unrealyou can use a visual script engine and C++.

3. Example: how is the licence and cost to use the engine?

4. Example, how helpfully is support, documentation and tutorials?

5. Is there a large market place for selling and buy content?

7. Is there ahelpfully forum comunity?

There are a lot points, to think about,before choosing an engine and all is depending what kind of game you want develope. How are the cost to use the engine, if you sell a game, or just by using the engine. How easy it is to importcontent like models, textures, Materials.

How easy it is to generate the game project on different platforms, and there is a lot more to think about.
So every AAA engine is good or bad, all depending at you, and what you want make with it.

Change a engine, while a project is more or less done, is a really bad choice!!! It end up with a lot of work and frustration and a lot things are to do from scratch again.

Maybe they can offer to be "high profile" user of Lumberyard for Amazon.

Long established game, existing playerbase, etc.

Amazon gets a game they can show off, and MA can probably request some technical / engineering help from Amazon in return. MA also gets advertisment for EU cos of Amazon indirectly.

And since the Lumberyard licence allows the engine to be used for free as long as end user (MA) runs their own servers (dont use MS Azure, other similar services).

No harm at least starting a dialog. Worst thing, Amazon says no. Best case, they work something that benefits both sides.

But for MA to do the whole lifting in terms of engine change? Not now. Maybe in a few years when a change is more worth it. We don't even have a proper established VR standard yet! HTC, Sony, Samsung, Facebook, Google, etc. Everyone wants their own ways of doing VR.

Maybe they can offer to be "high profile" user of Lumberyard for Amazon.

Long established game, existing playerbase, etc.

Amazon gets a game they can show off, and MA can probably request some technical / engineering help from Amazon in return. MA also gets advertisment for EU cos of Amazon indirectly.

And since the Lumberyard licence allows the engine to be used for free as long as end user (MA) runs their own servers (dont use MS Azure, other similar services).

No harm at least starting a dialog. Worst thing, Amazon says no. Best case, they work something that benefits both sides.

But for MA to do the whole lifting in terms of engine change? Not now. Maybe in a few years when a change is more worth it. We don't even have a proper established VR standard yet! HTC, Sony, Samsung, Facebook, Google, etc. Everyone wants their own ways of doing VR.

Most engines offer support for VR, on the hardware.

So does the new Cry engine version and also unreal support VR for all kinds of VR hardware.

I just can say again, that change a engine in a done project is pain of a lot work. I be at work on a game, we changed the engine from T3D to Unreal engine. So i really, really know, about what i been talking.
It is near the same, as start from scratch, exept that you can use old contet, like 3d models, maybe :)

Back